ImageImageImageImageImage

How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

snadler
Head Coach
And1: 7,943

Re: How will Brooklyn winning a championship impact the Knicks 

Post#81 » by snadler » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:37 pm

ENYK wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
So why don't they just roll over and die? That's what you want the Knicks to do? They have a 26 year old star. They have a COY. They have $70 million in cap. They have draft assets. They have a front office that is made up of guys from proven franchises. They managed to win 41 games in a 72 game season with arguably one of the least talented rosters in the league. Why on earth would they want to reboot again? Cause they can't be be the Nets? 28 other teams in the NBA can't be the Nets either. You want to just throw things up in the air and hope for the best? They might as well just fire everyone and hire an organ grinder monkey to run things then.

Roll over and die is a plan... just saying...

Signing a max player into cap space would be fine (if there was a guy to sign). As long as we preserve a war-chest so that we can go all-in for the next Harden-type who is demanding out.

In the interest of being real, the teams who have won championships in the past 10 years have all have had a wing player who is capable of being all-defense and also leading a team in scoring.
Lakers - LeBron
Raptors - Kawhi
Warriors - KD
Warriors - KD
Cavs - LeBron
Warriors - only exception with Iguodala/Barnes both being high-end athletic defenders
Spurs - Kawhi
Heat - Bron
Heat - Bron
Mavs - Shawn Marion. (other possible exception due to age)

So 8/10, possible 9/11 of the most recent seasons, it have come to having Durant, LeBron, Kawhi on your team.
So right now the surest way to a title comes by getting one of these 3 two-way players, or locating them in the draft.

Rolling over and dying is the ONLY plan.

Kawhi ain't coming here... That entire generation of star wings/guards ain't coming here.

So you have to draft that guy, or have enough low cost young assets/picks to trade for that guy from the next generation of superstars (Tatum, Zion, Donovan, Luka, etc.) and the cap flexibility to pair him with one of his peers.

This is a 5 year plan, not a 1-2 year plan. But this is the Knicks, and we've proven time and again we don't have the appetite for a true rebuild. We have a nice little run in the regular season and we're ready to start throwing money at glorified role players expecting them to one day be contender-worthy superstars.

Three top 4 picks in 36 years suggests we haven't actually tried the tank/organic rebuild process for the time it actually takes for it to be effective.

Please explain that knicks fans don't have an appetite to rebuild, they just had their first playoff win in 8 years. Of course the fans do, but they want a proper rebuild, the knicks have "tried" to rebuild and drafted Frank and Knox. 2 top 10 picks that aren't even rotational players. You can't miss that horribly on not 1 but 2 picks. The part that I think you are failing to realize that the knicks have the flexibility key word flexibility to do whatever they want. They have enough picks to trade up if they want, they have enough picks to trade for a player, they have the most cap space in the league. I mean other than coming off another miserable season, explain exactly how what situation they are in right now isn't the perfect situation to be in even if they were rebuilding right now?
NewEra
RealGM
And1: 13,330

Post#82 » by NewEra » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:42 pm

Nothing will ever compare to the New York Knicks winning a championship. Don’t care if they brought teams to the Bronx, Queens, Yonkers or wherever else. The Knicks have history. Be it good or bad, the Mecca is iconic. Nothing, and no other sports team in the history of sports will ever be able to compare to the celebration and impact that will be had if the Knicks win it all. We should all be unbothered by the Nets.
BAF- 2020 Champs | 2021 2k Champs
Jimmit79
Head Coach
And1: 5,251

Post#83 » by Jimmit79 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:15 pm

ENYK wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
RJ Barrett isn't the 2nd coming of Tatum IMO. Really trying to be honest here.

No but he could become the 2nd coming of Paul Pierce.

Yeah, I could see that, if RJ showed any signs of being able to shoot off the dribble lol...

People need to stop fantasizing, they'll be disappointed. RJ's best offensive move is a stationary spot up three. Not exactly encouraging from a star potential perspective.
Knicks fans have been watching garbage for so long that they think a #3 pick will definitely become stud.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 14,906

Post#84 » by KnixtapeH20 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:17 pm

DaGawd wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:
ENYK wrote:
Paul Pierce showed more go-to scoring ability in college than RJ has in two years as a pro, I don't know where this comparison is coming from except for their shared mediocre athleticism.

Paul Pierce was lethal from day 1 as an off the dribble shooter and volume scorer. Later on he developed his off-the ball game as a spot up three shooter so he could win a championship with two other HOF players.

RJ is on the opposite, role player trajectory... He has the stationary spot up 3 and nothing else worth mentioning.

Lmfao... Imagine putting a ceiling on a 20 year old hard working gym rat who showed so much improvement all around as RJ... SMH

His 3pt shooting, his FT % and his ability to get to the rim drastically improved. Yet u wanna cap this **** bc u have some type of agenda? Go on wit that bro

I mean usually a superstar wing shows a bit more in the way of shot creation at this stage than RJ has.. it’ll take him drastically changing his athletic ability or shiftiness/ball handle to really be that player. Without that and steady improvement he’s be one of the best 3 and D role players in the league.. but not necessarily a star which we need a young star in the worst way

Listen I'll be the first one to tell u I expected more scoring ability as far as his 1 on 1 with the ball but I was still very impressed with the improvement on his shot and touch. He just needs to find his dribble and be able to get past his defender easier as well as finish more efficient.

But I guess their argument is every 20 year year old should be more advanced by now :roll:

Both RJ & IQ need to make a big jump and ascend to that next level that both of them have in them. Both coachable gym rats that rise in adversity. Not worried about either one.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,439

Post#85 » by RHODEY » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:19 pm

ENYK wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
ENYK wrote:
Yeah, I could see that, if RJ showed any signs of being able to shoot off the dribble lol...

People need to stop fantasizing, they'll be disappointed. RJ's best offensive move is a stationary spot up three. Not exactly encouraging from a star potential perspective.

I think having the potential to be Paul Pierce is encouraging...in fact...very encouraging.

Paul Pierce showed more go-to scoring ability in college than RJ has in two years as a pro, I don't know where this comparison is coming from except for their shared mediocre athleticism.

Paul Pierce was lethal from day 1 as an off the dribble shooter and volume scorer. Later on he developed his off-the ball game as a spot up three shooter so he could win a championship with two other HOF players.

RJ is on the opposite, role player trajectory... He has the stationary spot up 3 and nothing else worth mentioning.

Why not compare Pierce's college to RJ's college career? Or just compare their 2nd year pro careers? Rj's last season numbers were very close Pierce's 2nd year...at a younger age. Sure their games are not identical, but in terms of impact RJ is on a similar trajectory.
KnixtapeH20
RealGM

Post#86 » by KnixtapeH20 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:23 pm

K-DOT wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:
ENYK wrote:

Lmfao... Imagine putting a ceiling on a 20 year old hard working gym rat who showed so much improvement all around as RJ... SMH

His 3pt shooting, his FT % and his ability to get to the rim drastically improved. Yet u wanna cap this **** bc u have some type of agenda? Go on wit that bro

I still don't get the "RJ is nothing but a 3-D guy, and will never be anything but a 3-D guy"

He scored 18 a game and only took 4 threes a game. Most of his offense came from things other than spotting up from 3

His Iso and PnR game were both pretty bad compared to the rest of the league (around 36th percentile each), but both were improved from last year, and show he has more than just 3-D potential. I fail to see how it's a bad thing that we have a wing who can shoot with a developing on-ball game. If it were the other way around, these same posters would be bemoaning the fact that RJ would never be able to work with another star, because he has no off-ball game

Some people just need to feel smarter than everyone else by being pessimistic all the time I guess.

Thats what I'm saying b he improved across the board when so many ppl wanted to write him off. I knew just by how this kid was raised and who he was brought up around that he was built for this. U can tell by his grown man body, his maturity, how he carries himself. He's not flashy, he's not a look at me guy. I liken him to Eli Manning in a sense. Both thrive in adversity and showcase that cold blooded assassin gene.

RJ still has a lot to prove and he knows it, relishes it. He even said himself "I'm 20 years old" the league better watch out next season he's going OFF. Yall can quote this, save it w.e u do
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#87 » by nedleeds » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:51 pm

RJ, Mitch and IQ are really our only bright spots. Because of their age and potential. If the Nets win this year it will suck a massive mule cock. I hope they all get injured.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
KnixtapeH20
RealGM

Post#88 » by KnixtapeH20 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:54 pm

Watch RJ grow taller this off season and put on even more muscle and straight body **** next season
KnixtapeH20
RealGM

Post#89 » by KnixtapeH20 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:56 pm

nedleeds wrote:RJ, Mitch and IQ are really our only bright spots. Because of their age and potential. If the Nets win this year it will suck a massive mule cock. I hope they all get injured.

Lmfaoooo I'm dead

Word i cant stand anyone on that team. although i do give harden some props for changing to a monster team player and no longer the most boring player to watch. Euro step, euro step, 700 ft's a game
ENYK
Junior
And1: 254

Post#90 » by ENYK » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:01 pm

KnixtapeH20 wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:Lmfao... Imagine putting a ceiling on a 20 year old hard working gym rat who showed so much improvement all around as RJ... SMH

I still don't get the "RJ is nothing but a 3-D guy, and will never be anything but a 3-D guy"

He scored 18 a game and only took 4 threes a game. Most of his offense came from things other than spotting up from 3

His Iso and PnR game were both pretty bad compared to the rest of the league (around 36th percentile each), but both were improved from last year, and show he has more than just 3-D potential. I fail to see how it's a bad thing that we have a wing who can shoot with a developing on-ball game. If it were the other way around, these same posters would be bemoaning the fact that RJ would never be able to work with another star, because he has no off-ball game

Some people just need to feel smarter than everyone else by being pessimistic all the time I guess.

Thats what I'm saying b he improved across the board when so many ppl wanted to write him off. I knew just by how this kid was raised and who he was brought up around that he was built for this. U can tell by his grown man body, his maturity, how he carries himself. He's not flashy, he's not a look at me guy. I liken him to Eli Manning in a sense. Both thrive in adversity and showcase that cold blooded assassin gene.

RJ still has a lot to prove and he knows it, relishes it. He even said himself "I'm 20 years old" the league better watch out next season he's going OFF. Yall can quote this, save it w.e u do

We'll see, I don't really buy it.

I think if IQ gets more minutes next season he'll surpass RJ. He has all the tools to be a much better offensive player, particularly in today's NBA.

IQ is a small 2 guard playing 19 mins a game with a 15.84 PER, only 41% of his shots are assisted, he creates offense.

But Thibs is a dinosaur and probably wants to re-sign rose and bring in another 30 something year old guard, so who knows if we get to see what IQ can become.
nedleeds
General Manager

Post#91 » by nedleeds » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:01 pm

snadler wrote:This is time for your daily reminder, the knicks are in one of the best situations in the entire league, coming off a 4th seed, lowest payroll, up 70 million in cap space, way too many draft picks, coach of the year. this doom and gloom from past knicks misery is getting boring and annoying..if you can't see that the knicks are on the right path then you are just being miserable and complaining for the sake of complaining

We had 9 teams roll over and die and gift us 10 wins that got us a 4th seed. It was pretty clear that the Hawks are on a completely different level and we got clowned like a 1 - 8 beatdown. We're maybe an 8th seed in a real season.

We were 0-9 s. Nets, 76ers and Heat. We weren't a good team, we just beat teams that we're injured, didn't care or weren't willing to run their starters into the ground for 38 minutes like Thibs.

Low payroll is good, we could be terrible team and have terrible contracts. So I guess that could be worse. But I'm terrified at what these idiots will do with cap space. They won't take on bad money to obtain assets which is the best use of it this year.

Way too many draft picks? Our picks are mostly garbage. This isn't the NFL. The chance of us getting a high end starter or star in the 20s is near zero. Do this exercise, would any team trade #4 this year for all 4 of our picks this year, and our pick and Dallas pick next year? The answer is go take a flying f at a rolling donut. No way. Our picks are worthless.

Coach of the year. More like Grinder of the year who had 2 dudes who never missed games and were both top 15 (Randle was #1) in minutes. Thibs feasted on the garbage teams in the East and teams who were covided and injured. Him and his bootleg food stamp in game coaching got exposed as it always does in the playoffs when the other team cares to play hard.

We have no path to becoming a top 4 team in the league other than tanking and the draft, or RJ taking a massive leap.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
ENYK
Junior

Post#92 » by ENYK » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:09 pm

nedleeds wrote:
snadler wrote:This is time for your daily reminder, the knicks are in one of the best situations in the entire league, coming off a 4th seed, lowest payroll, up 70 million in cap space, way too many draft picks, coach of the year. this doom and gloom from past knicks misery is getting boring and annoying..if you can't see that the knicks are on the right path then you are just being miserable and complaining for the sake of complaining

We had 9 teams roll over and die and gift us 10 wins that got us a 4th seed. It was pretty clear that the Hawks are on a completely different level and we got clowned like a 1 - 8 beatdown. We're maybe an 8th seed in a real season.

We were 0-9 s. Nets, 76ers and Heat. We weren't a good team, we just beat teams that we're injured, didn't care or weren't willing to run their starters into the ground for 38 minutes like Thibs.

Low payroll is good, we could be terrible team and have terrible contracts. So I guess that could be worse. But I'm terrified at what these idiots will do with cap space. They won't take on bad money to obtain assets which is the best use of it this year.

Way too many draft picks? Our picks are mostly garbage. This isn't the NFL. The chance of us getting a high end starter or star in the 20s is near zero. Do this exercise, would any team trade #4 this year for all 4 of our picks this year, and our pick and Dallas pick next year? The answer is go take a flying f at a rolling donut. No way. Our picks are worthless.

Coach of the year. More like Grinder of the year who had 2 dudes who never missed games and were both top 15 (Randle was #1) in minutes. Thibs feasted on the garbage teams in the East and teams who were covided and injured. Him and his bootleg food stamp in game coaching got exposed as it always does in the playoffs when the other team cares to play hard.

We have no path to becoming a top 4 team in the league other than tanking and the draft, or RJ taking a massive leap.

100% accurate... If we had lost our last few games against tanking teams/teams resting for the playoffs we would've ended up in the play in, and I don't think Thibs was confident we would've made it out alive from the play-in.

What stands out to me is the whole squad trying extra hard in that last regular season game against the Celtics' scrubs to squeeze out a win. That should've proven to everyone what the team's ceiling truly is/was.

People are on here acting like reverting back to the tank is equivalent to breaking up the Warriors' championship core.
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,863

Post#93 » by 8516knicks » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:17 pm

nedleeds wrote:

"The chance of us getting a high end starter or star in the 20s is near zero. " - maybe we should hire Miami to draft for us? :wink:
nedleeds
General Manager

Post#94 » by nedleeds » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:23 pm

8516knicks wrote:
nedleeds wrote:

"The chance of us getting a high end starter or star in the 20s is near zero. " - maybe we should hire Miami to draft for us? :wink:

I'm not sure how to evaluate this FO on the draft. We made a horrible pick with Obi, and seemed to have found an NBA rotation player in the late first with IQ. Obi looks like a second round older energy guy homeless mans Larry Nance Jr.. IQ looks like he should have gone in the early teens.
ENYK
Junior

Post#95 » by ENYK » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:27 pm

nedleeds wrote:
8516knicks wrote:
nedleeds wrote:

I'm not sure how to evaluate this FO on the draft. We made a horrible pick with Obi, and seemed to have found an NBA rotation player in the late first with IQ. Obi looks like a second round older energy guy homeless mans Larry Nance Jr.. IQ looks like he should have gone in the early teens.

Agreed on Obi.

But I think IQ would be blowing it up on a bad team that knows it's a bad team... His offense, when it's on, is pretty impressive. With playing time, he'd have a 40 point game way before robot RJ. Looks effortless.

Last year's draft was pretty terrible, I think IQ would've been a top 10 pick if it was redrafted.
TruthBeTold
Bench Warmer
And1: 423

Post#96 » by TruthBeTold » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:29 am

If the Nets win one title, I don't think it will have that big of an impact because every NYC sports fan knows the Nets are better than the Knicks with a serious chance of winning a championship. However, I feel 2 title win would make them the Yankees of basketball in NYC, especially if the Knicks don't make the playoffs next season. I feel NYC media will try to speed up the process. People like to jump on the bandwagon, so you are going to see a lot more teens and younger fans claiming Nets in the heart of Manhattan, and especially in Brooklyn. Secretly, I feel this is a big fear for some knicks fans.

I keep saying the Knicks need star players. I know that is difficult to achieve because most teams are not willing to trade them. The Knicks need to find players with star POTENTIAL. They need to find players like Zach LaVine before they make their first all-star game. The players that fans keep saying should have made the all-star team this season and last season. :nod: 8-)
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#97 » by nykballa2k4 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:28 pm

snadler wrote:
ENYK wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
Roll over and die is a plan... just saying...

Signing a max player into cap space would be fine (if there was a guy to sign). As long as we preserve a war-chest so that we can go all-in for the next Harden-type who is demanding out.

In the interest of being real, the teams who have won championships in the past 10 years have all have had a wing player who is capable of being all-defense and also leading a team in scoring.
Lakers - LeBron
Raptors - Kawhi
Warriors - KD
Warriors - KD
Cavs - LeBron
Warriors - only exception with Iguodala/Barnes both being high-end athletic defenders
Spurs - Kawhi
Heat - Bron
Heat - Bron
Mavs - Shawn Marion. (other possible exception due to age)

So 8/10, possible 9/11 of the most recent seasons, it have come to having Durant, LeBron, Kawhi on your team.
So right now the surest way to a title comes by getting one of these 3 two-way players, or locating them in the draft.

Kawhi ain't coming here... That entire generation of star wings/guards ain't coming here.

So you have to draft that guy, or have enough low cost young assets/picks to trade for that guy from the next generation of superstars (Tatum, Zion, Donovan, Luka, etc.) and the cap flexibility to pair him with one of his peers.

This is a 5 year plan, not a 1-2 year plan. But this is the Knicks, and we've proven time and again we don't have the appetite for a true rebuild. We have a nice little run in the regular season and we're ready to start throwing money at glorified role players expecting them to one day be contender-worthy superstars.

Three top 4 picks in 36 years suggests we haven't actually tried the tank/organic rebuild process for the time it actually takes for it to be effective.

Please explain that knicks fans don't have an appetite to rebuild, they just had their first playoff win in 8 years. Of course the fans do, but they want a proper rebuild, the knicks have "tried" to rebuild and drafted Frank and Knox. 2 top 10 picks that aren't even rotational players. You can't miss that horribly on not 1 but 2 picks. The part that I think you are failing to realize that the knicks have the flexibility key word flexibility to do whatever they want. They have enough picks to trade up if they want, they have enough picks to trade for a player, they have the most cap space in the league. I mean other than coming off another miserable season, explain exactly how what situation they are in right now isn't the perfect situation to be in even if they were rebuilding right now?

One of the many problems is that, and this was said already, we have not been able to move up in the lotto. This year we actually got "lucky" to be 19 and 21, we could have been 20 and 24. All those kicks at the lotta can, we never moved up, heck we were never in the top 3. The last time we had the A winning combination of pingpong balls was the year the Bulls drafted LaMarcus Alderidge @2 and traded him to Portland for Tyrus Thomas.

We have pretty good options, we are actually in a better situation than the Nets were pre-KD/Kyrie/Harden.

The problem is we need a KD/Kyrie who want to come here. Really we need a KD because Kyrie didn't do anything special at all for Boston.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,404

Post#98 » by robillionaire » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:01 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
snadler wrote:
ENYK wrote:

One of the many problems is that, and this was said already, we have not been able to move up in the lotto. This year we actually got "lucky" to be 19 and 21, we could have been 20 and 24. All those kicks at the lotta can, we never moved up, heck we were never in the top 3. The last time we had the A winning combination of pingpong balls was the year the Bulls drafted LaMarcus Alderidge @2 and traded him to Portland for Tyrus Thomas.

We have pretty good options, we are actually in a better situation than the Nets were pre-KD/Kyrie/Harden.

The problem is we need a KD/Kyrie who want to come here. Really we need a KD because Kyrie didn't do anything special at all for Boston.

I’m gonna nitpick on this, we did have our lotto number selected for the 3rd pick 2 years ago, and despite the optics of falling back from 1st to 3rd that was actually a lucky outcome. Our greatest odds by a wide margin were to pick 5th. It didn’t seem lucky but it kinda is when you consider the actual odds of the new lotto system. I know we would have preferred top 2 but there was only a 27.4% chance of that. The worst team in the NBA only has a 40% chance of a top 3 pick and 60% chance of picking 4-5. And the average is 3.7. So 3 was still slightly above what a worst team in the nba should expect with new odds
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#99 » by nykballa2k4 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:17 pm

robillionaire wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
snadler wrote:

I’m gonna nitpick on this, we did have our lotto number selected for the 3rd pick 2 years ago, and despite the optics of falling back from 1st to 3rd that was actually a lucky outcome. Our greatest odds by a wide margin were to pick 5th. It didn’t seem lucky but it kinda is when you consider the actual odds of the new lotto system. I know we would have preferred top 2 but there was only a 27.4% chance of that. The worst team in the NBA only has a 40% chance of a top 3 pick and 60% chance of picking 4-5. And the average is 3.7. So 3 was still slightly above what a worst team in the nba should expect with new odds

So we didn't get as unlucky as we could have. Although we had the luck that the NBA changed the friggen rule once we had a team committed to a rebuild. The two top dogs in that draft both look like all-stars, super-stars.
Other teams move up. We don't.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Loisl
Veteran
And1: 187

Post#100 » by Loisl » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:57 pm

I don't care about the Nets.

We should focus on ourselves. Best thing we can do?
Stay put and develop what we have.
I can see a slim chance that Zion comes here. Draft or sign a decent PG and we're good. Even good enough for the brooklyn divas. They don't get any healthier or younger. I give them 2 or 3 years, max.

Drafted-PG, Quickley, RJ, Obi, Mitch. That's a good nucleus. Add one Superstar and 2 or 3 3nD guys and we're set.
R.I.P. Mags - :beer:
Once a Knick, always a Knick.

Return to New York Knicks