ImageImageImageImageImage

Atlanta Hawks: The Roster Construction Blueprint No One is Talking About

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Young_Buc
General Manager
And1: 9,130

Re: Atlanta Hawks: The Roster Construction Blueprint No One is Talking About 

Post#61 » by Young_Buc » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:00 pm

Sometimes I wonder if the grass is always greener is a Canadian inferiority complex or it happens everywhere
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,766

Post#62 » by Los_29 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:04 pm

Steelo Green wrote:The Hawks are at the worst on par with the Demar/Kyle years. Not sure how our blueprint was better.

Demar and Kyle lost their first series on their rise, Hawks won their first and maybe might even go to the ECF, something we didn’t do until much later including after an embarrassing sweep against the Wiz.

What’s the better blueprint? Kawhi being available?

Ugh, we won a championship.

The Hawks were the definition of a treadmill team. In a 10 year span from 2007-2017, they only had 2 seasons where they won more than 50 games and two seasons in which they finished below .500. Every other year they were between 40-48 wins. In a 7 year span not only did we win a championship but we had FIVE 50+ win seasons in a row and even in our two worst seasons we still managed to win more games than Atlanta did in 8 of their years during their 10 year span of playoff basketball.

Comparing the Hawks to the Raptors just doesn't work. Raptors were just overwhelmingly better and got something that the Hawks failed to get and that's a championship.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,328

Post#63 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:08 pm

The Nuggets built a better team without all the top picks ATL had. If we're going copy a franchise without a title, I pick them.

Jokic - 41st overall
MPJ - 14th overall
Murray - 7th overall
Gordon - Trade

But we don't need to copy anyone when you have the management team we have.
NeoDragonKnight
Starter
And1: 2,570

Post#64 » by NeoDragonKnight » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:18 pm

They wont get far with that roster once they run into elite defenses. Trae and Lou on at the same time spells disaster on defense and possibly disaster on the offensive end if Lou ball hogs and volume shoots. I just think Lou Williams is super overrated to even list as some sort of positive, a good regular season player but his style wont work against better teams the deeper you go, and is more likely to shoot you out of a playoff series then shoot you in especially with his d. I mean we saw first hand how awful he was in the playoffs when he was with us.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,134

Post#65 » by Dalek » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:21 pm

I wouldn't forget Capela because he holds the line on defense. I think Atlanta is a fun team and that they are having some playoff success. If they get past Philly that will be impressive. However, that is a big if at this stage. Even then, do they have enough to even make a dent with Brooklyn. The formula is pretty simple. Guys who can spread the floor, plus a rim running threat. This is basically the Houston Rockets formula for like the past four years.

I will say that I have looked at teams like Atlanta and Memphis and the fact they have two lead guards who can break down defensive gameplans because they are so skilled. That is worth emulating because fans love do-it-all types, but those types of players are rare.

You don't want a guy hogging all the usage to get his own shot off while other just watch. I get turned off by Dame Lillard types. You ideally want a balance of scoring, freethrow generation and passing like what Trae and Ja do.
StringerBell
Veteran
And1: 2,200

Post#66 » by StringerBell » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:00 am

NeoDragonKnight wrote:They wont get far with that roster once they run into elite defenses. Trae and Lou on at the same time spells disaster on defense and possibly disaster on the offensive end if Lou ball hogs and volume shoots. I just think Lou Williams is super overrated to even list as some sort of positive, a good regular season player but his style wont work against better teams the deeper you go, and is more likely to shoot you out of a playoff series then shoot you in especially with his d. I mean we saw first hand how awful he was in the playoffs when he was with us.

Nate McMillan agrees. Lou Will is only averaging 10mpg in the playoffs.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,907

Post#67 » by JN » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:15 am

OakleyDokely wrote:The Hawks had 4 top 10 picks over the last 3 years.

The Raps are in a transition phase after winning a title. Their highest pick was 23rd since 2016.

The teams are in different stages of development so the comparison is hard one to make.

That being said, I'd take our coach/management over theirs.

I have tried to discuss the franchise success cycle with Steelo before with examples.
He either countered by ignoring my points, moving the goalposts or creating false narratives.

Return to Toronto Raptors