ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors really picked Bruno and Daniels over Jokic.

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,803

Re: Raptors really picked Bruno and Daniels over Jokic. 

Post#81 » by ash_k » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:00 am

then you got that Poeltl pick over Sabonis. That's why I am all in to trade our pick for a more proven young talent.
I trust Masai and them to find more undrafted gems
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,813

Post#82 » by Los_29 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:00 am

Pooh Jeter posts really don't age well. :lol:

In regards to Jokic, this was definitely not a great draft year for Masai. Every other year has been superb though. Top 3 GM in the league and can make a case for the best. No GM has done so much with so little. The highest pick he had was 9th. Drafted Delon, OG, Siakam and Powell in a range where the majority of players fail to carve out a career.

What team wouldn't trade their GM for Masai if they had the choice?
Raptors Realtor
Analyst
And1: 2,854

Post#83 » by Raptors Realtor » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:01 am

This thread is not worth being bumped... It was baseless when it was created, and is baseless now... How many teams passed on Jokic before he was drafted? Gems are found in later rounds of the draft in every league, it's not worth calling out a gm everytime they pass on a player who pans out, no matter how good they become.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,753

Post#84 » by Badonkadonk » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:02 am

This is such a dumb logical fallacy.

If an MVP emerges out of the 2nd round, no team "made a mistake". The mistake is betting against the field, or when applied to this thought experiment, the idea that somebody WON'T surprise every team that passed on them.
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,325

Post#85 » by douggood » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:17 am

credit to jokic and to the nuggets for developing him, no blame to any team.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,370

Post#86 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:20 am

Raptors Realtor wrote:This thread is not worth being bumped... It was baseless when it was created, and is baseless now... How many teams passed on Jokic before he was drafted?

Every single team, considering he was taken 41st. Nobody expected this from Jokic, not even the Nuggets (or they would have secured him with their first round pick).
Raptors Realtor
Analyst
And1: 2,854

Post#87 » by Raptors Realtor » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:22 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
Raptors Realtor wrote:This thread is not worth being bumped... It was baseless when it was created, and is baseless now... How many teams passed on Jokic before he was drafted?

Every single team, considering he was taken 41st. Nobody expected this from Jokic, not even the Nuggets (or they would have secured them with their first round pick).

Exactly that was my point, a bunch of teams also passed on him twice.
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM
And1: 12,221

Post#88 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:38 am

weird flex. Every team passed on Jokic including the Nuggets before he was picked in the second round.
"We're the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden in Fight Club.
Bull-E
Junior
And1: 285

Post#89 » by Bull-E » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:39 am

Raptors Championships: 1

Jokic Championships: 0
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,353

Post#90 » by tdotrep2 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:54 am

joker turned out to be the best player in the draft i think, dont remember what draft he was in. And look where he went, no one saw this man stop it not even the nuggets
Raps1103
Veteran
And1: 3,235

Post#91 » by Raps1103 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:58 am

Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:
You need to take some reading comprehension classes. I said Ainge, Riley, Nelson, Myers, and Buford are definitively better. Everyone else listed I said could be debatable, but personally I have them above Masai for the most part.

If the Bucks ownership wasn't cheap and kept Brogdon the Bucks are in the ECF. Portland was literally just in the WCF last year and barely made the playoffs this year because of injuries. Morey assembled the team that gave the super powered Warriors their biggest test.

So you are literally speaking in idiotic hypotheticals.

Bucks management made a terrible mistake overpaying Bledsoe. Why don't you acknowledge that colossal error? Their entire team are literally reliant on Giannis. Yes, the Bucks struck gold with him but they havn't exactly built a great core around him.

Portland has been a widely inconsistent team. In 2017 they only won 41 games and got knocked in the first round. In 2018 they had the 3rd seed and got swept by a mediocore Pelicans team that was missing Cousins. I mean how ridiculous are you to say that Portland's management is better than Masai. Injuries are part of the game. We had a ton of injuries this year, but had a very balanced and deep team that was still on pace for 60 wins.

Morey's team last year blew a 2-0 lead to the Warriors EVEN WITH KD BEING HURT.

You said that Masai is in the 9th or 10th best GM with ZERO justification.

You are pathetic.

I'm pathetic because you don't like a subjective list of best GM's in the league? Bro, take a chill pill.

Portland has a top 10 guy in Lillard and one of the most talented centres in the league. The Warriors are a juggernaut and Morey has been outstanding trying to find ways to beat them despite having a cheap owner who wouldn't pay the tax.

You're too busy licking Masai's boots to actually be objective.

Hey MODS?? What does this troll have to do to get a warning or a ban? He’s the most consistent, negative troll on the board .. and he gets nothing ! Does he have dirt on all the mods? Seriously !
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,430

Post#92 » by KL78192020 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:07 am

Jokic is a once in a lifetime type of deal. Lowest draft pick to ever win, it is what it is.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,503

Post#93 » by whitehops » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:25 am

sorry if this has been mentioned already (i only read the first page) but this shouldn't be an indictment on masai at all.

ALL draft picks are relative crap shoots but additionally jokic was a draft-and-stash pick. those are even more a crap shoot because a lot of guys don't even end up coming to the nba. that's why the vast majority of draft and stashes are second round picks, because there is an associated risk with a) the player wanting to come over and b) the buyout clause the team they're playing for has.

jokic only stayed in europe for one season after getting drafted and obviously turned into the player he did but in no way should passing on him be held against a gm/president.
alfie123
Starter
And1: 1,130

Post#94 » by alfie123 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:04 am

Y’all need a life bumping all these old threads
ILIKEBASKETSBALL
JYD
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,209

Post#95 » by JYD » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:04 am

Masai4PM wrote:What is the point of this thread?

Always look back, yes regrets.
Agimat
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,896

Post#96 » by Agimat » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:07 am

"Every GM passed on him" Wtf does that even mean? Why the fck do we care about who they drafted? Are they our GMs as well?
Masai is the topic here and has been our GM that had two draft chances. Why not say Masai made mistakes?

Fortunately, he made some great decisions that sustain the success and that lead up to the championship eventually. Disclaimer I still believe in Masai and I hope he sticks with us long term.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,370

Post#97 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:41 am

Agimat wrote:"Every GM passed on him" Wtf does that even mean? Why the fck do we care about who they drafted? Are they our GMs as well?
Masai is the topic here and has been our GM that had two draft chances. Why not say Masai made mistakes?

Fortunately, he made some great decisions that sustain the success and that lead up to the championship eventually. Disclaimer I still believe in Masai and I hope he sticks with us long term.

The point is that nobody expected Jokic to be this good. The Nuggets even drafted Nurk with their first round pick instead (16th overall). Jokic was a total crapshoot. Nobody made a mistake because Jokic's career trajectory was completely unexpected, even by the team that drafted him. I'm willing to bet money there wasn't a single scout on the planet who foresaw him becoming the player he is today. He's one of the biggest surprises in pro sports history.
AbC?
Head Coach
And1: 9,589

Post#98 » by AbC? » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:50 am

WeThe2019Champs
Veteran
And1: 2,640

Post#99 » by WeThe2019Champs » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:59 am

Yes blame Masai! forgetting this on draft night.

No More Tanking!
bon
General Manager
And1: 13,395

Post#100 » by bon » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:23 am

Thread bump would have some merit if it was made 5-6 years ago. Jokic has been a known commodity for a while and OP is acting like he knows anything about scouting and finding talent :lol:

Return to Toronto Raptors