ImageImageImage

Hal’s Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Re: 2021 Craft Your Boston Celtics Draft Thread 

Post#601 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:22 pm

I’m high on Langford now, I think he’s going to be a Rozier-like player at worst. His instincts and timing are great on both sides of the ball and, like Rozier, he’s made major progress with his shot. His game coming online could be what lets you trade Jaylen for a star big.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#602 » by JediMasterRevan » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:12 pm

threrf23 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ok, first Troy Baxter and now this guy, Matt Coleman:
https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/07/nba-boston-celtics-matt-coleman-predraft-workouts/

I'm thinking this might mean Stevens is planning on trading our 1st round pick - and that's why we're working out these random guys who aren't on anyone's draft board.

Or are you not allowed to work out real prospects, or at least not until a certain date?

Both are names I hadn't come across.

Troy Baxter is 25 years old, xferred schools twice after starting college in 2016, and as a 24 y/o lengthy athletic specimen playing for Morgan State, he pulled down less than 7 rebounders per 40 while posting a 1-2 A/TO ratio. I'm actually a bit disappointed that we would even work him out. He could show out and that would be just another red flag.

Could be for the farm team?
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,009

Post#603 » by Hal14 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:37 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:I’m high on Langford now, I think he’s going to be a Rozier-like player at worst. His instincts and timing are great on both sides of the ball and, like Rozier, he’s made major progress with his shot. His game coming online could be what lets you trade Jaylen for a star big.

So you're higher on Langford than you are on Time Lord?
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#604 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:10 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:I’m high on Langford now, I think he’s going to be a Rozier-like player at worst. His instincts and timing are great on both sides of the ball and, like Rozier, he’s made major progress with his shot. His game coming online could be what lets you trade Jaylen for a star big.

So you're higher on Langford than you are on Time Lord?

I wasn’t comparing them.. Williams is dealing with injury and consistency issues, and there’s a difference between blocking shots and being a dominant defensive anchor, but he still has the potential to be that.
winsomme2
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#605 » by winsomme2 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 10:46 pm

This draft is loaded with talent. There almost certainly is going to be multiple players available at 16 that end up being REALLY good NBA players.

Scouting is going to be so important this year because we could easily get a borderline all star talent at 16 which is usually role/bench player territory in the draft. AND there are like 20 players who all have the chance to be a serious long term piece. I can't think of a draft that was going to be so loaded this late in the draft.

My binkies right now are Springer, Cooper, Giddey, Bouknight but I could be easily talked into so many more.

Josh Christopher and Zaire Williams are definitely on my radar. Huge HS stars who had limited success as Freshmen. And almost certainly will be there at 16. If not, other big prospects would have to drop.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#606 » by djFan71 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:13 am

NBA Draft room updated their mock the other day.
Jalen Johnson at #16, Herb Jones at 45.
Giddey at 9, Garuba at 11, Kai at 14, Sengun at 18

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2021-nba-mock-draft/
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,167

Post#607 » by playa-hater » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:46 am

djFan71 wrote:NBA Draft room updated their mock the other day.

Love it for Boston. both first and 2nd. Though the chance to get Gregg rown in rd 2 is a better choice.

One WTH pick is GS in the 14th slot drafting Kai. they have Wiseman and will need another shooter-scorer. whatever..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#608 » by playa-hater » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:49 am

winsomme2 wrote:This draft is loaded with talent. There almost certainly is going to be multiple players available at 16 that end up being REALLY good NBA players.

Scouting is going to be so important this year because we could easily get a borderline all star talent at 16 which is usually role/bench player territory in the draft. AND there are like 20 players who all have the chance to be a serious long term piece. I can't think of a draft that was going to be so loaded this late in the draft.

My binkies right now are Springer, Cooper, Giddey, Bouknight but I could be easily talked into so many more.

Josh Christopher and Zaire Williams are definitely on my radar. Huge HS stars who had limited success as Freshmen. And almost certainly will be there at 16. If not, other big prospects would have to drop.

not that those players aren't talented, but you have all guards, and we are so desperate for bigger players. and a little guard like Cooper is far from what we need.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#609 » by playa-hater » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:53 am

I am encouraged by Romeo, but far from high. Will he ever be a serious enough 3-point shot maker to become a quality starter. he is not a playmaker either like Smart can be. So for me my hopes are high, but still has to prove a lot for me.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#610 » by djFan71 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:06 am

playa-hater wrote:

Love it for Boston. both first and 2nd. Though the chance to get Gregg rown in rd 2 is a better choice.

One WTH pick is GS in the 14th slot drafting Kai. they have Wiseman and will need another shooter-scorer. whatever..

For now. Would not be shocked if he's used to get vet help for Steph/Klay/Dray.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#611 » by Hal14 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:12 am

playa-hater wrote:

I am encouraged by Romeo, but far from high. Will he ever be a serious enough 3-point shot maker to become a quality starter. he is not a playmaker either like Smart can be. So for me my hopes are high, but still has to prove a lot for me.

Romeo showed glimpses of being a capable 3 point shooter when he shot 3/7 from 3 in game 5 vs the Nets. That's 42.9%. Just 1 game sample size, perhaps with a full offseason and one where he's actually healthy he'll come back next season and be an even better shooter..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Post#612 » by moonie_mcgee » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:19 am

djFan71 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

For now. Would not be shocked if he's used to get vet help for Steph/Klay/Dray.

Maybe we can oblige them :nod: Wiseman is a year away from making an impact from what I've seen. And we need a big big like him to pair with Tatum and be a legit contender.
That's the Way of the World
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#613 » by themoneyteam2 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:36 am

playa-hater wrote:

I think we’ll finally know the answer next year. This summer is the first time he’s been healthy in the offseason to improve and work on his game which is crucial for development.

He fixed his form so that was a good step. He was a high level scorer in high school and college too but right now needs to focus on corner threes. If he can hit those consistently it helps so much like we saw in the Nets series - need to build on game 5!
winsomme2
Pro Prospect

Post#614 » by winsomme2 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:53 pm

playa-hater wrote:
winsomme2 wrote:This draft is loaded with talent. There almost certainly is going to be multiple players available at 16 that end up being REALLY good NBA players.

not that those players aren't talented, but you have all guards, and we are so desperate for bigger players. and a little guard like Cooper is far from what we need.

Ugh! I know. I am definitely open to bigs and I certainly know how badly we needs them and not wings but I just feel a higher sense of success from the guards and wings.

I want to be enticed by the bigs but they just aren't capturing my attention at the moment. I guess if I had to put one up there it would be Garuba.

I really lie Troy Murphy III but 16 might be a little high for him.

Spent a lot time looking at Josh Christopher yesterday. This guy is seriously rising for me.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#615 » by Hal14 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:30 pm

winsomme2 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

Ugh! I know. I am definitely open to bigs and I certainly know how badly we needs them and not wings but I just feel a higher sense of success from the guards and wings.

I want to be enticed by the bigs but they just aren't capturing my attention at the moment. I guess if I had to put one up there it would be Garuba.

Spent a lot time looking at Josh Christopher yesterday. This guy is seriously rising for me.

All of these bigs have a chance of still being there at 16:

Alperen Sengun
Kai Jones
Neemias Queta
Jeremiah Robinson Earl
Usman Garuba
Roko Prkacin
Charles Bassey
Isaiah Todd
Isaiah Jackson

Christopher and Bouknight look good but they're scorers. Both have really low assist %. They're ball-stoppers. Good scorers but that's it, they score and don't involve teammates, don't move the ball. Lots of isolation. If we had more of a need for a SG and if we had good facilitators on this team, like a good pass-first PG, then I'd be all for picking a guy like Christopher or Bouknight. But neither of those things are the case. Our ball movement is so bad that we cannot afford to add a high usage ball stopper.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#616 » by Hal14 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:40 pm

Sounds good. I'd be totally happy with Jalen Johnson. As mentioned before, he checks literally every box:

-Good defender
-Versatile defender who can defend bigs inside as well as guards/wings out on perimeter
-Good size at 6'9" plus a strong frame for a 19 year old, it's not like he is rail thin and will need to add a bunch of muscle, he's a beefy 220 lbs which is fine for a 6'9" guy...
-Length (6'11" wingspan), one of the most athletic players in the draft, moves extremely quick for a 6'9" guy plus good all around skill set means he's oozing with upside
-Jury is still out on him as a shooter, but shot over 40% from 3 last season at Duke
-Might be the best passing non-PG in the draft, which would really help our ball movement issues

Long term, it could actually be pretty fun watching Brown at the 2, Tatum at the 3 and Johnson at the 4 running together. Teams wouldn't be able to match up with 3 guys with size, length, skill and athleticism who can all score the basketball off the dribble or from 3. As long as Johnson accepts his role as being the guy in that trio who defers more to Tatum/Brown and accepts a role as more of a Point Forward, cause he is a really good passer but can also really hurt you if defenses forget about him.

This could be a NBA championship winning starting 5 in 2024:

C Time Lord
PF Jalen Johnson
SF Tatum
SG Jaylen Brown
PG Yam Madar (I know others on here aren't as high on him as I am but that's ok..)

Bench: 6th man = either Smart or Fournier, 7th man = either Nesmith or Langford, 8th man = Pritchard, 9th man = a veteran 4/5 man
winsomme2
Pro Prospect

Post#617 » by winsomme2 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:18 pm

Hal14 wrote:
winsomme2 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

All of these bigs have a chance of still being there at 16:

Alperen Sengun
Kai Jones
Neemias Queta
Jeremiah Robinson Earl
Usman Garuba
Roko Prkacin
Charles Bassey
Isaiah Jackson

Christopher and Bouknight look good but they're scorers. Both have really low assist %. They're ball-stoppers. Good scorers but that's it, they score and don't involve teammates, don't move the ball. Lots of isolation. If we had more of a need for a SG and if we had good facilitators on this team, like a good pass-first PG, then I'd be all for picking a guy like Christopher or Bouknight. But neither of those things are the case. Our ball movement is so bad that we cannot afford to add a high usage ball stopper.

This is why scouting is so important in this draft. A lot of those guys are complete unknowns to me.

I'm still in the best player available mode overall tho because there are so many moving pieces. I expect some serious player movement so our wing depth could change very fast.

For instance, if we traded Kemba for Horford, wouldn't we need a PG?

I would love a good big or SF/PF prospect but at this point but really mostly want someone good.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#618 » by Hal14 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:21 pm

EJ Onu
6'11", 7'6" wingspan, 240 lbs.

Celtics brought him in for a workout:
https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/08/celtics-reportedly-working-out-ej-onu-potential-sleeper-stretch-big-man

Reminds me a lot of Kai Jones. Except Jones is less developed, more raw. Then again, Jones is a year and a half younger than Onu.

Video of Onu:

When I see the video, it's like watching Jones if Jones was 1.5 years older and keeps working on his game during that 1.5 years, and also if Jones is able to pack on another 22 pounds over the next 1.5 years...and also if Jones was facing much weaker competition. I feel like the Celtics would rather have the guy who is less raw, more developed, since we're not rebuilding - we're trying to win a title within the next 3 years. And it's not like Jones has a higher ceiling/upside - both of them are 6'11", both are quick, both are long and athletic with ability as a rim runner as well as ability to hit the 3 and run the floor. Only edge I see for Jones is that since he is 22 lbs lighter, he has better lateral quickness/agility to better switch out on guards/wings and defend them out to the perimeter.

Onu even has that smooth 1 legged turnaround fadeaway jumper in his repertoire, like Isaiah Todd.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 10,457

Post#619 » by Fierce1 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:29 pm

It's about time the Celts get taller players.

Can't stand the undersized PFs and midgets of the Celts anymore.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,604

Post#620 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:48 pm

The Celtics have a pipeline into Duke (not just Tatum because Steve Pagliuca is also a big Dukie whose son was a walk on who played for Coach K) so they will have good information on Jaylen Johnson.

As for Onu, he has a huge wingspan and can put the ball on the floor, but someone needs to teach him how to block a shot and retain possession. Also, all those dunks against shorter players makes me wonder about the level of competition. He should transfer to a name basketball school for a year. If he does well, he could be a lottery pick instead of a seconds rounder. I'm also reading that Golden State has interest because one of their assistants coaches the Nigerian national team..
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit

Return to Boston Celtics