ImageImageImageImageImage

2020-21 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,738

Re: 2020-21 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#501 » by eminence » Tue Jun 8, 2021 7:49 pm

What extra would Raptors fans like to see in a Boucher for Poeltl swap?
I bought a boat.
Raptors_128
Analyst
And1: 3,275

Post#502 » by Raptors_128 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:08 pm

eminence wrote:What extra would Raptors fans like to see in a Boucher for Poeltl swap?

I would love to get Jak back here. I wouldn’t mind him as a starter for us.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#503 » by Morris_Shatford » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:32 pm

eminence wrote:What extra would Raptors fans like to see in a Boucher for Poeltl swap?

Its a very interesting idea;
Yak has two years left at 8.5 and 9 which isn't bad.

I may be the outer but there isn't a huge value gap between them;
What did you have in mind?
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,738

Post#504 » by eminence » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:45 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:

A Spurs fan suggested an intesting deal to me and I was trying to flesh it out a bit as I didn’t love Poeltl in GS. My thought as of now:

Toronto sends: Boucher
Toronto gets: Poeltl
-get a guy with an extra year, who maybe fits a bit better as a more traditional big next to Siakam

New Orleans sends: Adams
New Orleans gets: Looney
-Get a mulligan on Adams, save money, open minutes for Hayes

San Antonio sends: Murray and Poeltl
San Antonio gets: Wiggins, Wiseman, and #14
-Really start up the tank (I originally had White in place of Murray, but that’s what at least one SA fan preferred)

Golden State sends: Wiggins, Wiseman, Looney, and #14
Golden State gets: Adams, Murray, and Boucher
-Upgrade the current roster at the cost of Wiseman/#14, save a bit of money, try to compete

Looks like this for GS:
Murray/Poole
Curry/Lee
Klay/#6
Dray/JTA
Adams/Boucher
I bought a boat.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#505 » by Morris_Shatford » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:38 pm

eminence wrote:
Morris_Shatford wrote:

A Spurs fan suggested an intesting deal to me and I was trying to flesh it out a bit as I didn’t love Poeltl in GS. My thought as of now:

Toronto sends: Boucher
Toronto gets: Poeltl
-get a guy with an extra year, who maybe fits a bit better as a more traditional big next to Siakam

New Orleans sends: Adams
New Orleans gets: Looney
-Get a mulligan on Adams, save money, open minutes for Hayes

San Antonio sends: Murray and Poeltl
San Antonio gets: Wiggins, Wiseman, and #14
-Really start up the tank (I originally had White in place of Murray, but that’s what at least one SA fan preferred)

Golden State sends: Wiggins, Wiseman, Looney, and #14
Golden State gets: Adams, Murray, and Boucher
-Upgrade the current roster at the cost of Wiseman/#14, save a bit of money, try to compete

Looks like this for GS:
Murray/Poole
Curry/Lee
Klay/#6
Dray/JTA
Adams/Boucher

From my perspective;
I think that Boucher provides more that Yak does but the extra year of Yak somewhat address that value gap?

Maybe a 2nd from New Orleans redirected to Toronto as they get to unload Adams for much less commitment if they view that contract as negative?

Overall, I would likely consider it straight up assuming that Siakam isnt going anywhere.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,714

Post#506 » by Ell Curry » Tue Jun 8, 2021 10:15 pm

Boucher for Saric and 29 makes some sense to me because the Raptors get a playable big and a first rounder and the Suns get Boucher for next year (an upgrade at the backup 4 and 5 and a potential starter at the 4 in matchups where Crowder is too short) and save 7M the year after, by which Jalen Smith will be in his 3rd season and presumably ready to play 20 minutes a night backing up Ayton and their smaller stretchier 4 they bring in once Crowder is washed.
Where's the D?
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,880

Post#507 » by agkagk » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:24 am

Am I the only one on this trade board that thinks there must be atleast a handful of teams who would want to take a look at Boucher as their starting 4 ?
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,213

Post#508 » by Dalek » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:25 am

If we get first overall I would do major remodelling. Acquire more 2021 picks to recreate the Monteverde super team:

Toronto wins first overall, selects Cade

Toronto trades Pascal Siakam and a 2023 FRP to Golden State for Andrew Wiggins and their 2021 Twolves FRP (currently 6) to draft Scottie Barnes.

Toronto trades FVV to NY for their 2 first rounders and cap filler to draft Moses Moody. Might need to package both picks to get Moody.

Starters
Cade
Moody
OG
Barnes
Second round C like Badji or Bassey

Bench
Flynn
Trent Jr.
Harris
Boucher
Birch

In about two years this team should be able to contend assuming a couple veterans with playoff experience get added.
h4rrison
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,102

Post#509 » by h4rrison » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:32 am

Dalek wrote:If we get first overall I would do major remodelling. Acquire more 2021 picks to recreate the Monteverde super team:

Toronto trades Pascal Siakam and a 2023 FRP to Golden State for Andrew Wiggins and their 2021 Twolves FRP (currently 6) to draft Scottie Barnes.

Toronto trades FVV to NY for their 2 first rounders and cap filler to draft Moses Moody. Might need to package both picks to get Moody.

Starters
Cade
Moody
OG
Barnes

Bench
Flynn
Trent Jr.
Harris
Boucher
Birch

In about two years this team should be able to contend assuming a couple veterans with playoff experience get added.

This is bad. 3 rookies in your starting lineup and you gave up 2 borderline AS. We would lose all respect as an organization with these moves lol. Pay GTJ +15M and have him benched over some rookies?
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#510 » by Morris_Shatford » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:58 pm

agkagk wrote:Am I the only one on this trade board that thinks there must be atleast a handful of teams who would want to take a look at Boucher as their starting 4 ?

I agree;
I think there is a handful of teams who would want to try him as a starter and a handful more which would likely want to have him early off the bench.

The perk with Bouchers contract its so low risk;
If it doesnt work its one more at a reasonable 7m and if it does you retain his bird rights.

There should be no shortage of interest if he is in fact on the move.
Dalek
RealGM

Post#511 » by Dalek » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:16 pm

h4rrison wrote:
Dalek wrote:If we get first overall I would do major remodelling. Acquire more 2021 picks to recreate the Monteverde super team:

Starters
Cade
Moody
OG
Barnes

Bench
Flynn
Trent Jr.
Harris
Boucher
Birch

This is bad. 3 rookies in your starting lineup and you gave up 2 borderline AS. We would lose all respect as an organization with these moves lol. Pay GTJ +15M and have him benched over some rookies?

Fair enough, I rushed through the process of putting line-ups together. I missed Wiggins completely. You easily could have a mix and match of vets and rookies across the starting line-up or bench. The key will be the rookies get loads of in-game reps.

It is a radical proposal that I think 90% of people disagree with, but OKC is doing a similar thing playing their rookies big minutes over veterans. When they mixed in a veteran like SGA they were in the playoffs. That team chose to fully commit to player development when they benched SGA. No one is losing respect with Sam Presti because people knows he sees the big picture.

Prior to the draft, I watched the Monteverde team and that was likely the best prep school team in US history. They were that dominant. Rather than tank for high picks for several years you get a premium offensive player in Cade, a dominant defender in Barnes and a potentially great floorspace in Moody. All switchable and fitting the modern NBA. There is a learning curve, but you mix in a few of Toronto's vets and let these guys learn on the fly.
Smalltown
Senior
And1: 448

Post#512 » by Smalltown » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:50 pm

Guys are so quick to want to move on from Fred. But no way management or even more importantly Nurse wants to do that. VV is the coach's voice. You need that vocal, alpha vet who's on board with the coach. The other championship era guys (Siakam and Anunoby), assuming Lowry is gone, aren't leaders. At least not yet. You can only give up one of Lowry or VV unless you're going for a gut rebuild.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,091

Post#513 » by tecumseh18 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:55 pm

Dalek wrote:
h4rrison wrote:

Starters
Cade
Moody
OG
Barnes

Bench
Flynn
Trent Jr.
Harris
Boucher
Birch

Fair enough, I rushed through the process of putting line-ups together. I missed Wiggins completely. You easily could have a mix and match of vets and rookies across the starting line-up or bench. The key will be the rookies get loads of in-game reps.

It is a radical proposal that I think 90% of people disagree with, but OKC is doing a similar thing playing their rookies big minutes over veterans. When they mixed in a veteran like SGA they were in the playoffs. That team chose to fully commit to player development when they benched SGA. No one is losing respect with Sam Presti because people knows he sees the big picture.

SGA is still too hurt to play for the national team, so maybe it wasn't such a complete Machiavellian move by Presti to sit Shai.

But I agree, if Raps get #1 or #2, they have to develop them with the big club, and that means we're not in win-now mode. Mobley especially is not going help us win in his first season. So why waste Pascal's and Fred's primes? Why not double down with the youth movement, especially in a draft where there are so many enticing options?

Also, next draft will be the double cohort year. Another good year to have a high draft pick.
Dalek
RealGM

Post#514 » by Dalek » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:20 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
Dalek wrote:
h4rrison wrote:

SGA is still too hurt to play for the national team, so maybe it wasn't such a complete Machiavellian move by Presti to sit Shai.

But I agree, if Raps get #1 or #2, they have to develop them with the big club, and that means we're not in win-now mode. Mobley especially is not going help us win in his first season. So why waste Pascal's and Fred's primes? Why not double down with the youth movement, especially in a draft where there are so many enticing options?

Also, next draft will be the double cohort year. Another good year to have a high draft pick.

I didn't realize SGA had plantar fascia tear. Those are tricky to heal. That said, there is no doubt that OKC benched several vets last season to improve their lottery odds.

I wouldn't be sad about being in position to draft Emoni Bates next year. We could build a dynasty if the chips fall the right way. Staying with FVV and Siakam means we likely compete for the playoffs which even Masai said they are not in it just to make the playoffs.
alpngso
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,339

Post#515 » by alpngso » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:27 pm

Starters
Cade
Moody
OG
Barnes

Bench
Flynn
Trent Jr.
Harris
Boucher
Birch

This team should be called the Montverde Raptors
vulture
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,916

Post#516 » by vulture » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:53 pm

Starters
Cade
Moody
OG
Barnes

Bench
Flynn
Trent Jr.
Harris
Boucher
Birch

Man I'm so with you on this, but most organization are scared to make deals like this and get rookies on the floor like that.
Masai is the only GM who has enough balls to pull this off, but would Nurse actually go for this?
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,781

Post#517 » by Dennis 37 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:17 pm

Smalltown wrote:Guys are so quick to want to move on from Fred. But no way management or even more importantly Nurse wants to do that. VV is the coach's voice. You need that vocal, alpha vet who's on board with the coach. The other championship era guys (Siakam and Anunoby), assuming Lowry is gone, aren't leaders. At least not yet. You can only give up one of Lowry or VV unless you're going for a gut rebuild.

Coach says to OG, "You're the leader now."

OG says, "Cool,"

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

'Don't shoot to miss."
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Kris_Banks
Freshman
And1: 38

Post#518 » by Kris_Banks » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:05 pm

Myles Turner may be available in the trade market. Does anyone know if we can trade Baynes and Hood Draft night or do we have to commit to them first?

Link: https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/262896/Hornets-Lakers-Knicks-Wolves-Interested-In-Myles-Turner

This works in the ESPN trade machine

Link: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine

Indiana Gets

Toronto Raptors 2021 1st Round Pick and two 2021 2nd Round Picks

C Aron Baynes

SG/SF Rodney hood

Toronto Gets

C Myles Turner

It's a tough sell for Indiana if they have to take Baynes and Hood for a season but if they can cut their non-guaranteed contracts they get 3 draft picks for Turner without taking any salary back which is pretty good.
We should be against the genocide of any people in North America.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,699

Post#519 » by Jadoogar » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:09 pm

vulture wrote:

Starters
Cade
Moody
OG
Barnes

Bench
Flynn
Trent Jr.
Harris
Boucher
Birch

Man I'm so with you on this, but most organization are scared to make deals like this and get rookies on the floor like that.
Masai is the only GM who has enough balls to pull this off, but would Nurse actually go for this?

No team wins with this many rookies in the starting lineup.
Dalek
RealGM

Post#520 » by Dalek » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:20 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
vulture wrote:

Starters
Cade
Moody
OG
Barnes

Bench
Flynn
Trent Jr.
Harris
Boucher
Birch

No team wins with this many rookies in the starting lineup.

I don't think it is about winning right away, but it is about adjusting the Toronto timeline back a couple years while bringing in three premium prospects that have familiarity with each other and can be the core going forward.

I kind of think of it like a sped up version of OKC when they had Durant, Harden and Westbrook. Not saying Cade, Moody and Barnes will cook like OKC did, but it would be a fun experiment given these guys already dominated AAU together.

Return to Toronto Raptors