ImageImageImageImageImage

If The Nets Win The Chip.. The Pressure Is On The Knicks

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

NewKnicks
Sixth Man
And1: 756

If The Nets Win The Chip.. The Pressure Is On The Knicks 

Post#1 » by NewKnicks » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:35 am

I was thinking about this today. As the games go by, and the odds of BKN winning the championship increase by the day, the pressure on the Knicks front office keeps growing as well.

Dolan has never been in a situation to where he will actually have to compete with another franchise in terms of fans. I know.. I get it.. true Knicks fans will never make the jump to BKN fans, but realistically, there are going to be a lot of fair weather fans as we get closer and closer to the Finals who make the fatal switch over to the Nets. Kills me to say that, but it's just reality. There is going to be a significant amount of NYers who, at a minimum, will 'enjoy' the fact that a NY team wins the NBA championship.

THIS IS THE BIG ONE: The kids. Dolan and the Knicks have a chance to lose out on an entire generation of the youth in NY. If the Nets win 2-3 title's, all the kids will flock to them. I think he understands just how big this situation is, and he'll react accordingly to try to save that from happening.

Dolan will start feeling a LOT more pressure to succeed (he probably already is), and that could be a good thing for us, or a bad thing, depending on how the Nets success affects the moves the Knicks make. One thing a Nets championship will probably guarantee, is that the Knicks will not be sticking to any type of youth movement. Dolan is going to feel like he needs to get the media spotlight back on the Knicks, so I expect big splash moves incoming. As fragile as Dolan's ego seems to be, he's going to want to compensate in some way to get the Knicks back on the front page.

Dolan will be pushing our front office to make some big moves. So, what will that be? I don't know. But I don't even see him and the FO waiting another year for the Lavine's/Beals of the world. I'm going to predict that something big will happen this offseason, sooner or later. We will trade up in the draft, for starters (if he doesn't have a deal already lined up to ship the draft picks out).

I opened this thread to see what others think. If you agree with my assessment, are there moves out there that we're not seeing yet? Players that maybe can be had that we're not aware of? Or do you disagree? Will this always stay a Knicks town? (of course I think it will - just wanted to see what others think)

I just can't think of a scenario to where Dolan watches the Nets championship parade on TV, and he doesn't feel the need to do something BIG to get the spotlight back on the Knicks. Let's all pray whatever they decide to do won't destroy what we've been starting to build. For the first time in forever, the Knicks actually have some good young pieces, draft picks, and cap flexibility.

By the way, this is one of the worst days of my life having to make a thread about the Nets winning a championship. But it's probably going to be here pretty soon, unless maybe Utah can take them out. But I doubt it. F*ck my life.
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Re: If The Nets Win The Chip.. The Pressure Is On The Knicks 

Post#2 » by NewKnicks » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:37 am

I haven't seen one yet, but has anyone seen an article written about this yet? Maybe one of the writers who lurk on here to get info will steal this idea and you'll see it soon. Not that I want to see it, but you know topics like this are going to be everywhere soon.
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 14,906

Post#3 » by KnixtapeH20 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:43 am

Bro nobody gives a **** about the nets. Not knicks fans and certainly not real NY basketball fans. I dont understand this fabricated story line. It's corny just like the entire team.

Knicks fans dont let they kids just choose to root for the nets. Who cares about casual fans who dont know nothing about the game and certainly not the history. These kids that root for players dont represent anyone

Knicks fans breed knicks fans. **** runs thru our blood and veins. We educate about the history of the team and what it means when we say the mecca of basketball
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,405

Post#4 » by robillionaire » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:44 am

who cares, that's my honest assessment of the situation

you think this team won't have fans? you think they won't be able to fill the arena every night? the nets already have a super team now, the best one ever assembled probably. and you see the garden crowd vs. their arena, and they are favorites to win the championship. it won't matter. and F them frontrunner kids
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by NewKnicks » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:46 am

KnixtapeH20 wrote:Bro nobody gives a **** about the nets. Not knicks fans and certainly not real NY basketball fans. I dont understand this fabricated story line. It's corny just like the entire team.

Knicks fans dont let they kids just choose to root for the nets. Who cares about casual fans who dont know nothing about the game and certainly not the history. These kids that root for players dont represent anyone

Facts!!

But I thought it was worthy of conversation. And I do believe the Knicks have the risk of losing an entire generation of kids if the Nets win 2-3 titles.

Also, the whole point of the thread is to discuss how it this situation is going to put so much pressure on Dolan/FO to make big moves to compensate.
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by NewKnicks » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:53 am

robillionaire wrote:who cares, that's my honest assessment of the situation

you think this team won't have fans? you think they won't be able to fill the arena every night? the nets already have a super team now, the best one ever assembled probably. and you see the garden crowd vs. their arena, and they are favorites to win the championship. it won't matter. and F them frontrunner kids

I agree. I've been laughing at the Nets 'fans' in that stadium during games. What a bunch of satchel carrying, nerdboy losers. You can tell most of them aren't really fans of basketball, they just want to feel like their 'part of something'.

You know what else is hilarious?? In the last game against the Bucks, they literally had a sign positioned strategically so you could see it on TV advertising that tickets are for sale. TICKETS FOR SALE DURING A F*CKING CHAMPIONSHIP RUN. In all my years of sports, I've never seen a team on the verge of winning something have to advertise to sell tickets. That was hilarious. :lol:
robillionaire
RealGM

Post#7 » by robillionaire » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:53 am

NewKnicks wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:Bro nobody gives a **** about the nets. Not knicks fans and certainly not real NY basketball fans. I dont understand this fabricated story line. It's corny just like the entire team.

Facts!!

But I thought it was worthy of conversation. And I do believe the Knicks have the risk of losing an entire generation of kids if the Nets win 2-3 titles.

Also, the whole point of the thread is to discuss how it this situation is going to put so much pressure on Dolan/FO to make big moves to compensate.

kids were bulls fans and lakers fans and heat fans and warriors fans and cavs fans and lakers fans again and then nets fans. bandwagoners gonna bandwagon. meanwhile you see how the garden is when we just make the playoffs with a non-contender after 20 years of trash

if this was going to happen, it would have happened already, it would have happened during 20 years of ineptitude, or after they got KD and Kyrie, it would have happened after they traded for Harden, and this team has done no such panic move although I'm sure whatever they do will be portrayed that way by people who want to troll this fanbase 24/7
KnixtapeH20
RealGM

Post#8 » by KnixtapeH20 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:57 am

NewKnicks wrote:

Facts!!

Real talk I don't think that becomes a thing. Maybe to an extent but no more than any other team we're trying to compete with.

The nets are somewhat like the jets only the jets actually have a loyal storied fan base much like the knicks. So apologies Jets fans but my point being only some jets fans believe they're the superior team when everyone n they mama know the Giants run NY.... Always have always will, Knicks will never have competition even if its some fake forced narrative by the media and clueless fans

Dolan got the #1 most valuable franchise and that's only going to improve with our resurgence. Nets not even on this mans radar.
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by NewKnicks » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:59 am

robillionaire wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:

Facts!!

kids were bulls fans and lakers fans and heat fans and warriors fans and cavs fans and lakers fans again and then nets fans. bandwagoners gonna bandwagon. meanwhile you see how the garden is when we just make the playoffs with a non-contender after 20 years of trash

if this was going to happen, it would have happened already, it would have happened during 20 years of ineptitude, or after they got KD and Kyrie, it would have happened after they traded for Harden, and this team has done no such panic move although I'm sure whatever they do will be portrayed that way by people who want to troll this fanbase 24/7

That's a good point. I'm sure whatever moves the Knicks make in the offseason will automatically be classified as an 'answer' to the Nets winning. We will probably see that everywhere next year.

And ESPN is going to run with this storyline.. They love drama like this, and we'll be seeing it on segments on a ton of their shows. 'How will the Knicks compete with Nets success?' 'Is NY becoming a Nets town?' 'What will the Knicks do to save them from losing the city'?

We are going to see a lot of that sh*t moving forward.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,321

Post#10 » by iLLmatic860 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:01 am

My son was born in 2020 and he is a Knicks fan whether he likes it or not
KnixtapeH20
RealGM

Post#11 » by KnixtapeH20 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:04 am

iLLmatic860 wrote:My son was born in 2020 and he is a Knicks fan whether he likes it or not

Thats my point exactly. Knicks fans are real fans. Aint no way my son would ever think the nets run NY. Kids emulate curry anyway not corny ass durant
KnixtapeH20
RealGM

Post#12 » by KnixtapeH20 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:06 am

NewKnicks u in ur 20s fam?
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by NewKnicks » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:07 am

KnixtapeH20 wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:

Facts!!

Real talk I don't think that becomes a thing. Maybe to an extent but no more than any other team we're trying to compete with.

The nets are somewhat like the jets only the jets actually have a loyal storied fan base much like the knicks. So apologies Jets fans but my point being only some jets fans believe they're the superior team when everyone n they mama know the Giants run NY.... Always have always will, Knicks will never have competition even if its some fake forced narrative by the media and clueless fans

Dolan got the #1 most valuable franchise and that's only going to improve with our resurgence. Nets not even on this mans radar.

Kids are gonna kid, though.

But I disagree that you don't think Dolan is thinking about this. He is with that fragile ego of his. He's not going to be happy when all the articles come out about the Nets, and every station is talking about them. The media will have to cover the championship extensively if they do end up winning it. That just comes with the territory.

If it's only one title, I don't think it will have much of an impact. But if they rattle off 2, even 3.. that's where the danger comes in of having fans permanently making the switch. I don't care about those people, because they obviously weren't true Knicks fans to begin with. And they can all f*ck right off. But Dolan will care.

There is no question at all it's a Knicks town. None at all. It's just about how much will the Nets eat into the fanbase. That's all.
robillionaire
RealGM

Post#14 » by robillionaire » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:08 am

NewKnicks wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:
Facts!!

That's a good point. I'm sure whatever moves the Knicks make in the offseason will automatically be classified as an 'answer' to the Nets winning. We will probably see that everywhere next year.

And ESPN is going to run with this storyline.. They love drama like this, and we'll be seeing it on segments on a ton of their shows. 'How will the Knicks compete with Nets success?' 'Is NY becoming a Nets town?' 'What will the Knicks do to save them from losing the city'?

I mean they have already been running with this storyline for nearly 2 years now.

I'll say this though, had the nets built up their own team of gritty likable players and won the championship, that actually might have had New York celebrating them. I don't think throwing together a super team with unlikable divas trying to avoid any adversity and a bunch of ring chasers is going to win over the heart of the city, even if they do win. it just seems fake
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by NewKnicks » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:10 am

iLLmatic860 wrote:My son was born in 2020 and he is a Knicks fan whether he likes it or not

haha. Hell ya!
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by NewKnicks » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:10 am

KnixtapeH20 wrote:NewKnicks u in ur 20s fam?

30s
KnixtapeH20
RealGM

Post#17 » by KnixtapeH20 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:13 am

NewKnicks wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:
Facts!!

But I disagree that you don't think Dolan is thinking about this. He is with that fragile ego of his. He's not going to be happy when all the articles come out about the Nets, and every station is talking about them. The media will have to cover the championship extensively if they do end up winning it. That just comes with the territory.

If it's only one title, I don't think it will have much of an impact. But if they rattle off 2, even 3.. that's where the danger comes in of having fans permanently making the switch. I don't care about those people, because they obviously weren't true Knicks fans to begin with. And they can all f*ck right off. But Dolan will care.

There is no question at all it's a Knicks town. None at all. It's just about how much will the Nets eat into the fanbase. That's all.

As long as the Knicks aren't the laughing stock of the league this fan base is bulletproof even those casual knicks fans. Aint nobody checkin for the nets b and once the two clowns leave and harden follows they won't have any fans whatsoever. They're a house of cards.

The Seattle Supersonics have more of a loyal fan base. Hell 75% of these nets fans are prolly loyal to the nj nets.
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by NewKnicks » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:19 am

robillionaire wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:
robillionaire wrote:

I mean they have already been running with this storyline for nearly 2 years now.

I'll say this though, had the nets built up their own team of gritty likable players and won the championship, that actually might have had New York celebrating them. I don't think throwing together a super team with unlikable divas trying to avoid any adversity and a bunch of ring chasers is going to win over the heart of the city, even if they do win. it just seems fake

I agree, it would be much easier to appreciate them if they did it the right way. I don't like any of their 'big 3'. Never did. I appreciate their basketball skills, but each one of them is annoying in their own right. Never did like any of them.

It totally seems fake. That's a great way to put it. It really shouldn't even been allowed. It sucks, but they turned the NBA into a circus now. Basically whichever teams certain players conspire to go to, those teams are the new champs for several years. And I don't see it changing either. The NBA likes this current formula, because they sell individual players these days, not teams. I wish they would stop all this nonsense, but now that the rabbit is out of the hat, it can't be stuffed back in. This is the NBA now.
KnixtapeH20
RealGM

Post#19 » by KnixtapeH20 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:20 am

Imagine if the Knicks somehow became the Brooklyn Knicks, our entire fan base would carry over and the nets would still be an afterthought. Think about how sad that is uet how real it is.

Nets have the tiniest window in the world until they become irrelevant again, then suddenly the Lakers or Suns pickup thousands of new "fans" over night :roll:
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by NewKnicks » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:21 am

KnixtapeH20 wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:Real talk I don't think that becomes a thing. Maybe to an extent but no more than any other team we're trying to compete with.

As long as the Knicks aren't the laughing stock of the league this fan base is bulletproof even those casual knicks fans. Aint nobody checkin for the nets b and once the two clowns leave and harden follows they won't have any fans whatsoever. They're a house of cards.

The Seattle Supersonics have more of a loyal fan base. Hell 75% of these nets fans are prolly loyal to the nj nets.

Truth. The minute those fools leave town, they will probably go back to the same level they were at before. The problem begins though when a 'dynasty' starts getting talked about.. Look at GS. They were not even close to being one of the more popular franchises in the NBA. Now they are thought of as one, and I'm guessing that will continue way after Curry finally leaves.

Return to New York Knicks