Realistically, Who Do You Want To...

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

OnFire
Junior
And1: 27

Realistically, Who Do You Want To... 

Post#1 » by OnFire » Wed May 26, 2021 2:20 pm

Since KP is still mulling over his options on New Nate and the roster, thought it might be nice to get ideas how you envision the Pacers next year.

Just put names. If you want to explain your answer, go right ahead. 8-)

Here goes...

Realistically, who do you want to...

Coach:
Draft:
Trade For:
Trade Away:
Re-Sign:
Sign:
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Re: Realistically, Who Do You Want To... 

Post#2 » by Wizop » Wed May 26, 2021 3:48 pm

Coach: don't expect a change.
Draft: no one shorter than 6'8" in first. Euros in 2nd
Trade For: tax headroom
Trade Away: Lamb
Re-Sign: Mc and Mc not Jakaar
Sign: a veteran 3/4
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,232

Post#3 » by boomershadow » Wed May 26, 2021 4:45 pm

I honestly think they run it back mostly intact. Keep core intact. Keep one or both of Doug and TJ. Draft BPA. Fill around the edges with FAs.

If you are desperate for a splashy, sexy move, it's D'Antoni all the way. Im not that desperate, but if you are just be aware that's probably gonna cost like 30 million dollars.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,025

Post#4 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed May 26, 2021 6:12 pm

Great idea, OnFire!

Realistically, who do you want to...

Coach: Becky Hammon
I think Becky would still be affordable, have a ton of rep with the players both from her own playing career, and her time on the bench with Pop, and she has the comfort level of the main coaching chair from having filled in for Pop on many occasions.
Draft: As long as it's not Sengun, I think I'm fine with any of the top 15 type names. A combo forward like Jalen Johnson or Franz Wagner make sense. Davion Mitchell would be a bulldog at the point guard defensively that we need. Bouknight has the potential to be a dynamic scorer at multiple levels. Giddey for the playmaking. Keon or Moody for the scoring on the wing. I guess I'm not totally sold on Kispert. Heck, if Isaiah Jackson is projected to be able to play the 4 out to the perimeter defensively throughout his career, I wouldn't hate that either.
Trade For:Realistically? Probably a Miles Bridges from Charlotte. Dream? OG Anunoby.
Trade Away: Jeremy Lamb. He's my Doug "insurance" in a way, but if I could get Doug for the same number, I'd love to move Lamb to clear that salary. If TJ McConnell is kept, maybe Aaron Holiday, too.
Re-Sign: Of our 3, TJ McConnell.
Sign: Couple maybe realistic names in terms of pricing. Nic Batum, Torrey Craig, Sterling Brown, Tony Snell, Georges Niang, PJ Tucker. Just 1 of those types of guys. I think a vet like Tucker would be great to drop into practice with whomever sticks around of Turner, Sabonis, and Goga.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#5 » by Topofthekey » Thu May 27, 2021 10:35 am

Coach: Becky Hammon, MDA

I think she'll be a good HC, she has the right ingredients. She's also young enough that she can possibly spend the next ten or twenty years coaching. That's a plus point if you're looking for something long term, someone to a build an entire coaching program around

Draft: BPA, in terms of upside

Pacers have enough players who range from pretty good to really good. What they lack is top end talent. There's no point drafting another Aaron Holiday or Goga Bitadze and have them stuck on the bench being bit players. Pacers need to go long and draft a player with the most upside, rather than going for a "safe" pick

Trade for: Bradley Beal, Wolves/Warriors pick if it ends up #4 or better, Zach Lavine, Rui Hachimura, Miles Bridges

Trade away: Anyone, if it results in some of the names above, as long as the value is fair

Re-sign: Both the Macs. Find a way to get below the tax threshold during the season before the trade deadline

Sign: Garrett Temple? Kent Bazemore?
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Post#6 » by Tom White » Thu May 27, 2021 12:43 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Trade for: Bradley Beal, Wolves/Warriors pick if it ends up #4 or better, Zach Lavine, Rui Hachimura, Miles Bridges

You don't give any idea what would go out in those deals, so I have to ask - Why would any of those players want to come to the Pacers? Why would any of their teams want to trade them away to the Pacers? What would those teams get in return to make it worth their while?
Pacercoltboiler
Freshman
And1: 46

Post#7 » by Pacercoltboiler » Thu May 27, 2021 5:53 pm

I'm going to be real general here. I'm tired of the mess at C. Domas can't defend to save his life, Myles can block shots and nothing else, and Goga thinks he is a guard. I'd love to somehow end up with defender/rebounder who can guard the pick and role. Someone who is a bad A%$, and knows it. Then have one primary ball handler and surround them with long three and D guys. McConnell is perfect for the ball handler, and Brissett is a nice three and D guy. Justin has moments. I hate to say it, but I think we need a major reboot.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#8 » by Topofthekey » Thu May 27, 2021 10:47 pm

Tom White wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:Trade for: Bradley Beal, Wolves/Warriors pick if it ends up #4 or better, Zach Lavine, Rui Hachimura, Miles Bridges

You don't give any idea what would go out in those deals, so I have to ask - Why would any of those players want to come to the Pacers? Why would any of their teams want to trade them away to the Pacers? What would those teams get in return to make it worth their while?

Most of it is going to depend on what happens next to their teams

If the Wizards get blown out and swept, they might decide to go on a rebuild and trade Beal for a rebuilding package

Wizards posters wanted to trade Beal for Tyler Herro and Duncan Robinson and Precious Achiuwa earlier on in the season when their team was terrible and there were talks of cashing in on Beal

I assume that if that's what they still want, Pacers can easily put together a package more attractive than that. Of course, what Wizards fans want and what their organisation is actually going to do can be quite different, so we'll have to see

Of all the teams in the lottery, Warriors is perhaps the one mostly likely to trade out of the draft in order to get immediate help, if they decide that they want to maximize their chance to win with Steph Curry. We are a pretty ideal trade partner for them, in that we have multiple players who could be very good fits with them

I'm not sure what's going on with the Bulls, but I read how some of their posters talked about extending Lavine, and it didn't sound like it's going to be a sure thing. So if indeed Bulls aren't confident about extending Lavine, maybe they will start fielding offers for him

I think Hachimura and Bridges can both be had, I think, if the offer is good. Bridges can probably be had for something based around Goga, but ideally we obtain Wiseman from the Warriors and trade him for Bridges

As for Hachimura, it depends on whether Wizards want to compete, or rebuild. If they want to compete, then maybe we can trade Domas or Myles for Hachimura plus other assets, maybe as part of a 3 team deal if we want to route their other assets to a third team
Assistant Coach
And1: 601

Post#9 » by 8305 » Fri May 28, 2021 2:28 pm

Coach, if Brad Stephens becomes available count me in. Otherwise I'm ok with Nate returning. He's done some good things. He got more out of McDermott and McConnell than old Nate. Guessing we wouldn't have Brissett were it not for Nate and he gave Sumner an opportunity that I think was past due.

Draft: BPA other than a center. We've had considerably more success when we've looked for upside as opposed to college accomplishment. Think PG, Myles vs Hansbrough, Hibbert, Rush

Trade For/Trade Away: I'm not a believer in the Myles/Domas combination. If we don't score in the lottery I'm rooting for Golden State to land pick 4. Pick 4, Wiseman, salary filler and maybe GS's 2021 1st for Sabonis. Flip Wiseman and our 1st and Lamb for Jeremi Grant.

Re-Sign: If our main guys stay healthy and what we saw from Brissett and Sumner wasn't a mirage I'm not sure it matters that much. Would also help if whoever we draft at 13 is capable and shows promise to merit rotation minutes.
Sign: See above
pacers33
Rookie
And1: 1,304

Post#10 » by pacers33 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 6:45 pm

boomershadow wrote:I honestly think they run it back mostly intact. Keep core intact. Keep one or both of Doug and TJ. Draft BPA. Fill around the edges with FAs.

If you are desperate for a splashy, sexy move, it's D'Antoni all the way. Im not that desperate, but if you are just be aware that's probably gonna cost like 30 million dollars.

I'm pretty desperate honestly, at least pringles will make the kids run. Would be fun to watch.

Beyond the smoke crack and sign D'Antoni scenario, I would look to move Sab or Turner, preferably for a guard or draft picks. The draft hasn't impressed me much overall, I know I'm advocating clearing out our big man situation, my gut really likes Sengun as a long term prospect. Does he fit here? Not really. Isaiah Jackson reminds me of Nerlens Noel, again another big, would be interesting to see him on the floor with Myles, the paint would be locked down. Resign TJ.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#11 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 5, 2021 11:50 pm

I'm becoming comfortable moving Sabonis for a true 4.

Sent from my phone.
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by 8305 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 10:52 am

Wizop wrote:I'm becoming comfortable moving Sabonis for a true 4.

Sent from my phone.

What true 4 do you have in mind?

As to Turner vs Sabonis or keeping them both, how do you see us becoming a better rebounding team? I don’t care how big Myles is as a shot blocker the inability to consistently get defensive rebounds more than off-sets the blocked shots. My contention is Turner could be traded and if Sabonis were surrounded with versatile defensive guys opponents would get to the basket less. Mitigating the loss of Turner to some degree. Sabonis defending the 5 full time would be in position for more rebounds and he would secure more of them than Myles. In my mind we would suffer less defensively than people might think.

And, Sabonis is a difference maker on offense.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#13 » by Wizop » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:28 pm

8305 wrote:
Wizop wrote:What true 4 do you have in mind?

I don't have any one player in mind. I'm not even at the point of pounding the table demanding a Turbonis trade. I'm just open to the possibility that is we don't want to continue to play them together for big minutes, Sabonis could be the better player to trade. But I will not be upset if we keep them both or trade either one of them.

But for purposes only of illustration and I know it is impossible, say we were able to acquire Tatum, would you prefer to play Turner and Tatum or Sabonis and Tatum? I can make a strong case for Turner. he provides rim protection on defense and won't be in the way of drives on offense.

as for rebounding, I think the problem is as much scheme as it is talent. Sabonis did way outrebound Turner but he was inside on offense while Turner was outside plus Turner takes himself out of rebounding position on defense by moving to block shots. Note that McConnell got way more than his share of rebounds even though I doubt he can jump higher than any other player on the roster.
Assistant Coach

Post#14 » by 8305 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:54 pm

Wizop wrote:
8305 wrote:

I don't have any one player in mind. I'm not even at the point of pounding the table demanding a Turbonis trade. I'm just open to the possibility that is we don't want to continue to play them together for big minutes, Sabonis could be the better player to trade. But I will not be upset if we keep them both or trade either one of them.

But for purposes only of illustration and I know it is impossible, say we were able to acquire Tatum, would you prefer to play Turner and Tatum or Sabonis and Tatum? I can make a strong case for Turner. he provides rim protection on defense and won't be in the way of drives on offense.

as for rebounding, I think the problem is as much scheme as it is talent. Sabonis did way outrebound Turner but he was inside on offense while Turner was outside plus Turner takes himself out of rebounding position on defense by moving to block shots. Note that McConnell got way more than his share of rebounds even though I doubt he can jump higher than any other player on the roster.

What if we looked at a more realistic acquisition target. Say Jerami Grant. He seems like a reasonable component if you created a multi team deal that exported either Turner or Sabonis. Combo forward who can defend and shoot the three. Seems like Grant would benefit on offense playing off Sabonis and on defense being able to take a few more chances knowing Turner is behind him.

Another consideration I'd throw into the mix. The Brogdan/Levert combination at guard makes no sense to me without Turner. That said, I kinda like the idea of Sumner in the starting lineup with Levert coming off the bench.

Wondering if any of this makes sense to anyone else?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#15 » by Wizop » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:08 pm

8305 wrote:Wondering if any of this makes sense to anyone else?

trading for Grant makes sense to me and I'd trade anyone but Warren to get him although I'd prefer keeping Brogdon and LeVert. I say Warren because I think he's clearly better than our other options at SF. we have other options at 1, 2, and of course 5.

however, the draft adds an interesting twist here as I doubt it is giving us a 4 (if it did we might not need to trade for one) or that we'd take a 5 and I wouldn't want a new 1, 2, or 3 to be buried on the 3rd unit.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,232

Post#16 » by boomershadow » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:45 pm

8305 wrote:[
Another consideration I'd throw into the mix. The Brogdan/Levert combination at guard makes no sense to me without Turner. That said, I kinda like the idea of Sumner in the starting lineup with Levert coming off the bench.

If the Pacers ever become a team that would make a smart lineup decision like this, I will jump for joy.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,546

Post#17 » by NYG » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:07 am

Wizop wrote:
8305 wrote:

Not a Celtics fan, but if Boston offered the following, would you have interest...

Kemba Walker, Aaron Nesmith, Robert Williams III, Payton Pritchard, 16th Overall and something in between Jrue and Harden in terms of pick return for Domantas Sabonis, Malcolm Brogdon and Jeremy Lamb?
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#18 » by Moooose » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:45 am

Realistically, who do you want to... Options in order.

Coach:
1) Nate Bjorkgren - I still have faith in Bjorkgren. It's his first year and he will only get better on things he's learned. His issues were more of locker room chemistry with the players and it can just be his style of discipline or mentoring. It could be our players wanting someone more lenient. Maybe they see him differently than other coaches since he's a rookie. Whatever it is, it is too early to give up on him, IMO.

2) Mike D' Antoni - If Bjorkgren is to be fired, I would like the Pacers to go all-in and hire MDA and see how a dynamic mind matches a dynamic team.

3) Mike Budenholzer - (if he gets fired by Milwaukee). I honestly believe Milwaukee's problem of not being able to advance into the conference finals is more on its key players than with coaching.

Draft:
1) Isaiah Jackson - Excellent pairing with Domas up front, IMO. Can guard more athletic players like AD, Giannis, Adebayo, and the like. I like this guy because he can be a difference maker even without the offensive tools yet.

2) Corey Kispert - If McDermott is to leave, I think this guy would be a good replacement.

3) If we are to re-sign McDermott and McConnell back, we have a good depth at the guard and wing positions already. If we can't get a forward at no. 13, I'd trade this pick for frontcourt depth and / or move down for Charles Bassey.

4) Sandro Mamukelashvili - 2nd rounder

Trade For: (MEM) Valanciunas and WInslow / (SAC) Holmes (S&T), Barnes, and future picks

Trade Away: Myles Turner, Aaron Holiday, and Jeremy Lamb

Re-Sign: McDermott and McConnell

Sign: Assuming the Pacers are able to retain everyone except Sampson, I'd like them to give Harry Giles a try.
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by 8305 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 10:23 am

NYG wrote:
Wizop wrote:
8305 wrote:

Not a Celtics fan, but if Boston offered the following, would you have interest...

Kemba Walker, Aaron Nesmith, Robert Williams III, Payton Pritchard, 16th Overall and something in between Jrue and Harden in terms of pick return for Domantas Sabonis, Malcolm Brogdon and Jeremy Lamb?

My take on this offer from Boston is that the value pieces (Nesmith, Williams, PP and 16) barely cover the cost of taking on on the Walker contract. And yet, we are giving two very good players on market to below market contracts. Really not even close for me.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Post#20 » by Tom White » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:40 pm

NYG wrote:Kemba Walker, Aaron Nesmith, Robert Williams III, Payton Pritchard, 16th Overall and something in between Jrue and Harden in terms of pick return for Domantas Sabonis, Malcolm Brogdon and Jeremy Lamb?

That would be a very one-sided trade, and not in favor of the Pacers.

Return to Indiana Pacers