ImageImageImageImage

Who should the Magic target with the Trade Exception?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Horcy
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Who should the Magic target with the Trade Exception? 

Post#1 » by Horcy » Tue Jun 8, 2021 10:31 pm

Do you think we should use the Trade Exception received from Boston on Fournier’s deal and If you do, how?

This article mention a few options.

https://orlandomagicdaily.com/2021/06/08/players-orlando-magic-target-trade-exception/

Harrell would be a really interesting addition but I’m still not sure if we should use it.
If we plan to do a deep rebuild, cap space must be a top priority.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,052

Re: Who should the Magic target with the Trade Exception? 

Post#2 » by The Effect » Tue Jun 8, 2021 10:52 pm

I seriously doubt we use it. it wouldnt really make sense for us to go over the cap in a rebuilding year(s)

I mean sure id love to add Trez or take a shot on marvin bagley, but i just dont see it as feasible and plus i dont see either of those teams trading those players for just a TPE
CZ Eddie
Starter
And1: 717

Post#3 » by CZ Eddie » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:31 am

We're gonna need some new bench veterans to create a good locker room experience for all the rookies and second year players we'll have.
The twin GM's are going to have a busy summer/fall.
Keep your politics out of my sports
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,652

Post#4 » by orlando_joe » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:22 am

hope use it to get a first to take on other teams 15 mill 1 yr expiring
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,167

Post#5 » by cedric76 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:05 am

if we use it , it s for a back up Vet(ish) on expiring contract

Thaddeus Young
Taurean Prince
Josh Richardson
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#6 » by drsd » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:02 am

The Effect wrote:I seriously doubt we use it. it wouldnt really make sense for us to go over the cap in a rebuilding year(s)

I mean sure id love to add Trez or take a shot on marvin bagley, but i just dont see it as feasible and plus i dont see either of those teams trading those players for just a TPE

Orlando will be flush with cap-space in the 2022 off-season. The only way I can see the Magic using this TPE is in a draft-day trade to increase a draft slot. That is, use the TPE as a path for a salary dump for the trading partner.

KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,854

Post#7 » by KillMonger » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:02 am

Not sure but i would love to get a Legit Veteran in here that can command some respect and get in the ears of our young guys....teach them how to be professionals.....somebody in the mold of an Afflalo....somebody that is/was an above average player thats been in the league a while...seen some things....although i need to look at who's going to be available because i'm not sure that player is out there
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#8 » by drsd » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:59 am

KillMonger wrote:Not sure but i would love to get a Legit Veteran in here that can command some respect and get in the ears of our young guys....teach them how to be professionals.....somebody in the mold of an Afflalo....somebody that is/was an above average player thats been in the league a while...seen some things....although i need to look at who's going to be available because i'm not sure that player is out there

Well the Magic could just resign Porter now or Harris in 2022 based on that logic. Neither is a horrible decision and if one of those two is healthy and would sign for less than 15M a year, sure.

UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,411

Post#9 » by UCFJayBird » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:50 pm

Enabling another team to dump salary a year earlier (for a 1 year expiring) is realistically the best option. If nothing materializing in the summer, could be a nice chip to have at the trade deadline being part of a larger deal to help others move around salary.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#10 » by tiderulz » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:59 pm

Horcy wrote:Do you think we should use the Trade Exception received from Boston on Fournier’s deal and If you do, how?

This article mention a few options.

https://orlandomagicdaily.com/2021/06/08/players-orlando-magic-target-trade-exception/

Harrell would be a really interesting addition but I’m still not sure if we should use it.
If we plan to do a deep rebuild, cap space must be a top priority.

bleh, the only one i like on that list would be the last one, Prince.
The Effect

Post#11 » by The Effect » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:08 pm

KillMonger wrote:Not sure but i would love to get a Legit Veteran in here that can command some respect and get in the ears of our young guys....teach them how to be professionals.....somebody in the mold of an Afflalo....somebody that is/was an above average player thats been in the league a while...seen some things....although i need to look at who's going to be available because i'm not sure that player is out there

From everything ive read, you just described Gary Harris
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,576

Post#12 » by basketballRob » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:58 pm

Ennis has only made 14m in his career, I'd like to see him get like a 2yr 14m deal, and partially guarantee the 2nd year. He seems to be a positive influence on the young guys. If he put together another good year, a contending team might trade an asset for him.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,854

Post#13 » by KillMonger » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:10 pm

The Effect wrote:

my bad i said above average
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,908

Post#14 » by Knightro » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:30 pm

I would be much more apt to using it to acquire a guy with a bad contract in exchange for a future 1st rounder.

Kind of what Memphis did taking Iguodala and getting the Warriors 2024 1st.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,489

Post#15 » by Skybox » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:50 pm

Knightro wrote:I would be much more apt to using it to acquire a guy with a bad contract in exchange for a future 1st rounder.

Kind of what Memphis did taking Iguodala and getting the Warriors 2024 1st.

Exactly...or a young guy with upside along with said bad deal. A good team strapped financially who could give up a prospect in return for the financial flexibility to sign a difference-making vet for a playoff run.

Maybe relieve NOLA of Bledsoe to get NAW (we'd have to give some value like Ross + an early second?).

An example I wouldn't touch, but just for illustration purposes would be helping LAL get some financial room and getting THT or Kuzma (I don't want him-just an example) along with a bad contract guy.
The Effect

Post#16 » by The Effect » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:46 pm

KillMonger wrote:
The Effect wrote:

my bad i said above average

Technically you said someone who is/WAS above average, for a couple years harris was above average :lol:
The Effect

Post#17 » by The Effect » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:47 pm

basketballRob wrote:Ennis has only made 14m in his career, I'd like to see him get like a 2yr 14m deal, and partially guarantee the 2nd year. He seems to be a positive influence on the young guys. If he put together another good year, a contending team might trade an asset for him.

Are you trying to tank again next year? cause thats the only reason i could see ennis being back
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,970

Post#18 » by Nyce_1 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:53 am

Bertans
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#19 » by basketballRob » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:04 am

The Effect wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Ennis has only made 14m in his career, I'd like to see him get like a 2yr 14m deal, and partially guarantee the 2nd year. He seems to be a positive influence on the young guys. If he put together another good year, a contending team might trade an asset for him.

Are you trying to tank again next year? cause thats the only reason i could see ennis being back
Ennis is a pretty good player.

basketballRob
RealGM

Post#20 » by basketballRob » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:05 am

Nyce_1 wrote:Bertans
He was kind of a laughing stock of the playoffs, because he was unable to stay in front of anyone. Plus has a big contract. I can't remember which radio show it was, but they were saying that contact is going to be a huge liability for the Wizards, and what a terrible decision to pay him that.

Return to Orlando Magic