ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors really picked Bruno and Daniels over Jokic.

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,799

Re: Raptors really picked Bruno and Daniels over Jokic. 

Post#101 » by Steelo Green » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:37 am

Los_29 wrote:Pooh Jeter posts really don't age well. :lol:

In regards to Jokic, this was definitely not a great draft year for Masai. Every other year has been superb though. Top 3 GM in the league and can make a case for the best. No GM has done so much with so little. The highest pick he had was 9th. Drafted Delon, OG, Siakam and Powell in a range where the majority of players fail to carve out a career.

What team wouldn't trade their GM for Masai if they had the choice?

In regard to*
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,799

Post#102 » by Steelo Green » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:40 am

Raps1103 wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
So you are literally speaking in idiotic hypotheticals.

Bucks management made a terrible mistake overpaying Bledsoe. Why don't you acknowledge that colossal error? Their entire team are literally reliant on Giannis. Yes, the Bucks struck gold with him but they havn't exactly built a great core around him.

Portland has been a widely inconsistent team. In 2017 they only won 41 games and got knocked in the first round. In 2018 they had the 3rd seed and got swept by a mediocore Pelicans team that was missing Cousins. I mean how ridiculous are you to say that Portland's management is better than Masai. Injuries are part of the game. We had a ton of injuries this year, but had a very balanced and deep team that was still on pace for 60 wins.

Morey's team last year blew a 2-0 lead to the Warriors EVEN WITH KD BEING HURT.

You said that Masai is in the 9th or 10th best GM with ZERO justification.

You are pathetic.

I'm pathetic because you don't like a subjective list of best GM's in the league? Bro, take a chill pill.

Portland has a top 10 guy in Lillard and one of the most talented centres in the league. The Warriors are a juggernaut and Morey has been outstanding trying to find ways to beat them despite having a cheap owner who wouldn't pay the tax.

You're too busy licking Masai's boots to actually be objective.

Hey MODS?? What does this troll have to do to get a warning or a ban? He’s the most consistent, negative troll on the board .. and he gets nothing ! Does he have dirt on all the mods? Seriously !

You do realize the original post stated they are “pathetic”, and that the post was “idiotic hypotheticals”.

If you’re going to have that view, at least keep the same energy for positive and negative posters.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,132

Post#103 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:08 am

AbC? wrote:Image

/thread
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,874

Post#104 » by agkagk » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:53 am

MFS wrote:Masai does make mistakes.

:banghead:

:crazy:

Fun fact:

2021 will go down in history as the first time a player with man tits that literally can’t jump wins an mvp award.
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,906

Post#105 » by Anticon » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:55 pm

This was just a bad draft overall. I don't think Masai had his team setup to properly scout. Capela was a much more obvious miss.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,402

Post#106 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:12 pm

Its crazy that darko was highly ranked and jokic absolutely was not... Would be interested to see there draft age selves play each other one on one. Better than Paul vs may weather.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,323

Post#107 » by OakleyDokely » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:20 pm

The Raps have been one of the best teams in the league at finding talent later in the draft or undrafted.

Delon Wright - 20th
OG - 23rd
Siakam - 27th
Powell - 46th
VanVleet - Undrafted FA

All of these guys have vastly outproduced their draft position and are among the better players from their draft classes.

They also signed T Davis (undrafted) who is a serviceable NBA player and Flynn (29th) / Harris (59th) look like they will be productive NBA players as well.

That's a pretty great hit rate when compared to most teams around the league, even better than some teams who've picked in the lottery year after year.

It's impossible to hit on everyone and some players like Jokic just fall through the cracks for whatever reason. Every team with a pick passed on him at least once, including the Nuggets who would've taken him in the 1st round if they knew what he'd become.
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,574

Post#108 » by Ackshun » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:33 pm

Kinda ridiculous to come to that conclusion. However I will say, we have been great when drafting those 3-4 year college players, typically in the latter stages of the round. We have been good, but not great when drafting higher.

It's a really small sample size anyhow.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,343

Post#109 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:35 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:

/thread

That's actually pretty bad scouting. Not even knowing where he came from ... wow.
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#110 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:36 pm

The funniest part of this thread ... Danny Ainge. :lol:
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,323

Post#111 » by OakleyDokely » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:38 pm

Ackshun wrote:Kinda ridiculous to come to that conclusion. However I will say, we have been great when drafting those 3-4 year college players, typically in the latter stages of the round. We have been good, but not great when drafting higher.

It's a really small sample size anyhow.
We've only had 1 high pick in the Masai era though, 9th overall when we took Poeltl and he was a pretty good pick and he was part of the deal that landed Kawhi.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,755

Post#112 » by ItsDanger » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:07 pm

Watch his pre draft video and draw your own conclusions. The talent was there.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,906

Post#113 » by Anticon » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:53 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

/thread

That's actually pretty bad scouting. Not even knowing where he came from ... wow.

I mean, I think he's saying at the tournament where he was scouting him...presumably thet knew by the time the draft happened.

Though overall I think we underestimate how challenging it is to learn about and rank every 19 year old plus prospect around the globe.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,554

Post#114 » by Jadoogar » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:55 pm

What a stupid thread. Jokic was picked 41. every team passed on him, several passed twice.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 26,894

Post#115 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:56 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

/thread

You think scout waste time doing background on a player who at the time didn’t look like he would ever be an NBA player?

If anything this quote should shut up armchair GMs who **** talk every slightly missed draft picks. Shockingly (or not), the draft is just as much a lucky guess as it is skill.

To be honest, I’m not even sure if Masai is a good drafter or if the Raptors are just fantastic at development of prospects. Probably a bit of both, but I really feel like it’s no shock that Denver and Toronto keep pumping out good rotation players with low picks. They actually prioritize development
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#116 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:05 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
/thread

You think scout waste time doing background on a player who at the time didn’t look like he would ever be an NBA player?

If anything this quote should shut up armchair GMs who **** talk every slightly missed draft picks. Shockingly (or not), the draft is just as much a lucky guess as it is skill.

To be honest, I’m not even sure if Masai is a good drafter or if the Raptors are just fantastic at development of prospects. Probably a bit of both, but I really feel like it’s no shock that Denver and Toronto keep pumping out good rotation players with low picks. They actually prioritize development

Do I think good organizations or scouts "waste time" to find a players background or personality of a player they are interested in? I think it's an awful take to assume they don't or that it's a waste of time.

You think the raptors drafting guys with a good work ethic is a fluke and it's just development? Nah. And be real...This is also why I'm not the armchair GM in the draft that others might be, and its because I get zero information on what a person/player is actually like.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#117 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:34 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Do I think good organizations or scouts "waste time" to find a players background or personality of a player they are interested in? I think it's an awful take to assume they don't or that it's a waste of time.

You think the raptors drafting guys with a good work ethic is a fluke and it's just development? Nah. And be real...This is also why I'm not the armchair GM in the draft that others might be, and its because I get zero information on what a person/player is actually like.

Do you really think NBA scouts get background info on guys they think have no chance of NBA players? Why would they? The quote you're bitching about was when they watched him against USA when he was 18 (or younger). They obviously got more info when they started considering him as a real prospect.

Good to know the Raptors have detailed info on my upbringing just in case I one day become an nba prospect. Feels good man
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#118 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:37 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:You think scout waste time doing background on a player who at the time didn’t look like he would ever be an NBA player?

Do you really think NBA scouts get background info on guys they think have no chance of NBA players? Why would they?

Good to know the Raptors have detailed info on my upbringing just in case I one day become an nba prospect. Feels good man

Do I really think they basically go through what amounts to a job interview to players they are interested in to determine what they are like...uh yes, yes I do.

Why would you think I would think they are interested in every player every year. Whatever.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#119 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:40 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Do you really think NBA scouts get background info on guys they think have no chance of NBA players? Why would they?

Do I really think they basically go through what amounts to a job interview to players they are interested in to determine what they are like...uh yes, yes I do.

Why would you think I would think they are interested in every player every year. Whatever.

Well I’m sorry to disappoint you, but NBA scouts don’t interview every single player at a U19 world championship tournament, especially not the ones that they think look like they won’t ever be an nba prospect.

They weren’t interested in Jokic at the time of the quote. The scout pretty much said he looked bad at that stage. He said coming into he had no idea who he was. Obviously at Jokic improved he learned. Read Johnny, read.
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#120 » by Pooh_Jeter » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:54 pm

You can't really use Jokic as proof of anything, but this was easily Masai's worst draft as an executive. There were a ton of solid NBA players missed out on for the Bruno/Daniels duo.

It was clear he was still rattled from missing out on Giannis the year before and made a huge reach for Bruno. In all the video and coverage of the draft that came out afterwards it was clear outside of Tyler Ennis he didn't have much invested in any other prospect outside of Bruno. This is the danger of focusing in on one player archetype.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.

Return to Toronto Raptors