ImageImageImage

Who will coach the Celtics in 2021-22?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Re: Who will coach the Celtics in 2021-22? 

Post#261 » by JediMasterRevan » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:07 pm

OBisHalJordan wrote:Shouldn't a decision come soon? The draft is at the end of the month

Wonte be a decision until some of the coaches still coaching have a chance to interview.

I firmly believe it will be Sam Cassell who is the head coach (I love it) and he cannot even be interviewed right now.

Head Coach - Sam Cassell
Assistant - Lloyd Pierce
Assistant - Kenny Atkinson

be a lethal coaching group there, imo.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 10,429

Post#262 » by Fierce1 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:16 pm

Kenny Atkinson?

I prefer Rowan Atkinson.
:lol:
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#263 » by TheOGJabroni » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:43 pm

What is wrong with Kenny Atkinson? I thought he did a tremendous job with the Nets before their stars joined & Nash took over. He did a lot with little young talent due to their trade with us. It seemed like they played hard and had a solid system in place considering their circumstances.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,642

Post#264 » by GoCeltics123 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:48 pm

Read on Twitter

This probably means an outside candidate is getting the job. Thank you for everything Jerome
Celtic Esquire
General Manager
And1: 3,673

Post#265 » by Celtic Esquire » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:55 pm

JediMasterRevan wrote:
OBisHalJordan wrote:Shouldn't a decision come soon? The draft is at the end of the month

Wonte be a decision until some of the coaches still coaching have a chance to interview.

I firmly believe it will not be Sam Cassell who is the head coach (I love it) and he cannot even be interviewed right now.

Head Coach - Sam Cassell
Assistant - Lloyd Pierce

I would be 100% behind that coaching staff.

For the life of me, I always wondered why Stevens never brought in experienced former HCs as assistant coaches. Instead, he relied on C level coaches from college.
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#266 » by greenroom31 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:58 pm

Not sure if this really fits in this thread or maybe the around the league thread, but Nate Bjorkgren got fired by the Pacers:

Read on Twitter
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,006

Post#267 » by Hal14 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:59 pm

JediMasterRevan wrote:

I firmly believe it will not be Sam Cassell who is the head coach (I love it) and he cannot even be interviewed right now.

Head Coach - Sam Cassell
Assistant - Lloyd Pierce

1) why do you firmly believe it will not be Cassell? Or was that a typo? Did you mean to say you firmly think it will be cassell? cause it would be odd to say you firmly think it will be cassell and then go on to list out possible assistants under cassell and that you think it would be a lethal trio..

2) One thing worth noting as a potential positive for Cassell. Ray Allen lists him as one of his 2 favorite teammates of all time. IMO that speaks volumes. Ray had a long, hall of fame career and played with a lot of great players, and played with lots of good veterans. Ray also is known as not the easiest guy to get along with, seems to have kind of an abrasive personality, and it's well documented that he has had a falling out with many of the guys he played with on the celtics. Apparently, out of all the guys he played with in Boston, Cassell was his favorite teammate. And out of all the guys he's played with in his career, his 2 favorite teammates are LeBron and Cassell. That's good company for Cassell to be in. Lebron - while he has been known to be a questionable teammate and questionable leader, some teammates absolutely love the guy and what can't be questioned is his insane level of basketball IQ. So again, very good company to be in. And Cassell played with Allen in Milwaukee as well as Boston:
https://clutchpoints.com/nba-news-ray-allens-favorite-teammates-were-lebron-james-sam-cassell/

In the article, Allen says this about Cassell: "Toss-up between Sam Cassell and LeBron James. Sam was a guy you wanted to go to battle with. He wouldn’t quit on you and do whatever he could. He never wore bad body language."

There's just a lot of things that point to Cassell being a good choice.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#268 » by Hal14 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:01 pm

greenroom31 wrote:Not sure if this really fits in this thread or maybe the around the league thread, but Nate Bjorkgren got fired by the Pacers:

Read on Twitter

Not surprising at all. There was a lot of talk late in the season about him losing the team and losing his sanity. I'm actually surprised they waited this long to make the move, thought it may have even happened late in the regular season.

So now that's Boston, Indy and Portland as the 3 teams officially hiring a new coach right? And we're just kind of speculating that maybe Milwaukee will be next if they keep getting killed by the nets?
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#269 » by greenroom31 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:04 pm

Hal14 wrote:
greenroom31 wrote:Not sure if this really fits in this thread or maybe the around the league thread, but Nate Bjorkgren got fired by the Pacers:

Read on Twitter

Not surprising at all. There was a lot of talk late in the season about him losing the team and losing his sanity. I'm actually surprised they waited this long to make the move, thought it may have even happened late in the regular season.

So now that's Boston, Indy and Portland as the 3 teams officially hiring a new coach right? And we're just kind of speculating that maybe Milwaukee will be next if they keep getting killed by the nets?

Get ready for the chatter to start about Indy pursuing Brad Stevens now too...
Hal14
RealGM

Post#270 » by Hal14 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:07 pm

greenroom31 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Get ready for the chatter to start about Indy pursuing Brad Stevens now too...

Good call. I would think he might be no. 1 on their list.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,642

Post#271 » by GoCeltics123 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:09 pm

Read on Twitter
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#272 » by BostonCouchGM » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:12 pm

TheOGJabroni wrote:What is wrong with Kenny Atkinson? I thought he did a tremendous job with the Nets before their stars joined & Nash took over. He did a lot with little young talent due to their trade with us. It seemed like they played hard and had a solid system in place considering their circumstances.

Yeah, he’s one of the rare actually good coaches. Would love it!
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Post#273 » by FlatearthZorro » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:43 pm

Fierce1 wrote:Kenny Atkinson?

I prefer Rowan Atkinson.
:lol:

I would take Rowan, too. He will get through to the players. 8-)
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man

Post#274 » by JediMasterRevan » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:04 pm

Read on Twitter

take that job brad!!!!
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man

Post#275 » by JediMasterRevan » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:06 pm

Hal14 wrote:
JediMasterRevan wrote:

Head Coach - Sam Cassell
Assistant - Lloyd Pierce

1) why do you firmly believe it will not be Cassell? Or was that a typo? Did you mean to say you firmly think it will be cassell? cause it would be odd to say you firmly think it will be cassell and then go on to list out possible assistants under cassell and that you think it would be a lethal trio..

2) One thing worth noting as a potential positive for Cassell. Ray Allen lists him as one of his 2 favorite teammates of all time. IMO that speaks volumes. Ray had a long, hall of fame career and played with a lot of great players, and played with lots of good veterans. Ray also is known as not the easiest guy to get along with, seems to have kind of an abrasive personality, and it's well documented that he has had a falling out with many of the guys he played with on the celtics. Apparently, out of all the guys he played with in Boston, Cassell was his favorite teammate. And out of all the guys he's played with in his career, his 2 favorite teammates are LeBron and Cassell. That's good company for Cassell to be in. Lebron - while he has been known to be a questionable teammate and questionable leader, some teammates absolutely love the guy and what can't be questioned is his insane level of basketball IQ. So again, very good company to be in. And Cassell played with Allen in Milwaukee as well as Boston:
https://clutchpoints.com/nba-news-ray-allens-favorite-teammates-were-lebron-james-sam-cassell/

In the article, Allen says this about Cassell: "Toss-up between Sam Cassell and LeBron James. Sam was a guy you wanted to go to battle with. He wouldn’t quit on you and do whatever he could. He never wore bad body language."

There's just a lot of things that point to Cassell being a good choice.

THe "NOT" was a typo.

Big Cassell fan
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#276 » by JHTruth » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:22 pm

Seems Chauncey is the frontrunner for the Portland job. Becky and Kara seems unlikely to jeopardize their current positions unless they are the clear frontrunner.

Cassell looking more and more like the frontrunner every day.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,605

Post#277 » by BK_2020 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:29 pm

Well I guess Nate Bjorkgren is available. Maybe he can bring his skinhead goonsquad coaching staff with him.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,541

Post#278 » by Celts17Pride » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:38 pm

JediMasterRevan wrote:

Read on Twitter

take that job brad!!!!

Brad Stevens name will definitely come up in rumors. Can't see it happening.
denmuscles
Pro Prospect
And1: 620

Post#279 » by denmuscles » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:40 pm

Watch it be Evan freaking Turner :banghead:
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man

Post#280 » by JediMasterRevan » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:18 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
JediMasterRevan wrote:

Read on Twitter

take that job brad!!!!

Brad Stevens name will definitely come up in rumors. Can't see it happening.

I can dream.

Although Brad might make a kemba trade that is killer and change everything.

Return to Boston Celtics