ImageImageImageImageImage

2021 Draft thread. Woo! 15th pick here we come! Hoo. Ray.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 885

Re: 2021 Draft thread. Evan Mobley here we come! :) 

Post#1641 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:20 am

Ruzious wrote:
payitforward wrote:
DCZards wrote:It’s a big mistake to base your draft day decisions on the mocks, especially when you’re not drafting in the top 5 or 6.

Those mocks are so often very, very wrong—and all over the place. Every year we talk here about players that the mocks were dead wrong about.

If you believe Butler is the best player/fit at 15 you take him and don’t look back.

Absolutely! & anyway, if you're going to pick someone based on the mock drafts, first you'll have to pick which mock draft to rely on!

The main use of the mock drafts is to be stimulated to look at some players you might have overlooked. Once you have some names to investigate, you start by looking at their college numbers. There are no good NBA players who put up bad numbers in college. Period.

Having done that you can start the real research.

WE AREN'T REAL GMS!!!

And we use mocks to get a feel for where others think players will go.

We do that because... all together now... WE AREN'T REAL GMS!

:lol: :rofl: :bowdown:

HOF !!! Absolute classic post! Too funny. :P
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1642 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:40 am

Dat2U wrote:If the Wizards draft Giddey to play him alongside Russ, then yeah their screwing the pooch like they screwed Avdija & TBJ. If the Wizards draft Giddey with the intention of him backing up Russ and eventually replacing him in 2 years then it's a potential win.

That said I've sorta moved off of Giddey because I view him as a trade up option. I'd be shocked if he's still available at 15.

I also assume the pick is very much in play and we may be looking for immediate help.

Yeah, Giddy is going to be gone when the Wiz pick. Word is he measured 6'8 without shoes and might be still growing. And I don't think he's filled out yet. Kid could end up being bigger than Doncic. I think he's the 5th pick.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,298

Post#1643 » by NatP4 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:02 am

Trade up: Suggs, Mobley, Giddey, Wagner

15: Giddey, Wagner

Trade down/acquire 2nd round pick: Butler, Queta, Duarte, Petrusev, Ayayi, Springer, Livers

UDFA targets: McKinley Wright, Livers, Grimes, Huff, Wieskamp, Abmas
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1644 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:54 am

I'll go with a trade down for Duarte and Petrusev, UDFA for Hauser and Julian Champagnie, buy a mid 2nd rounder for either Jay Huff or Moses Wright, minimum free agent for Jeremy Lin. That's 6 cheap players.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,865

Post#1645 » by payitforward » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:41 pm

Ruzious wrote:I'll go with a trade down for Duarte and Petrusev, UDFA for Hauser and Julian Champagnie, buy a mid 2nd rounder for either Jay Huff or Moses Wright, minimum free agent for Jeremy Lin. That's 6 cheap players.

Way to go, Ruz! You're starting to sound like me. 5 rookies! May it be so!

If the young'uns all were regular roster, we'd have those 6 plus Beal, Russ, Bertans, Bryant, Rui, Deni, Gafford, Hutchison & Mathews. Lopez, Len, Smith, Neto, Bonga & Gill would be gone.

But, I bet they want to keep Gill. In any case, at least one of the draftees would wind up a 2-way player. Two if we decided not to retain Cassius Winston. Zards & I both like Winston; we'd be sorry to see him go. Still... he's a resourceful young man it seems; he'll make his way in the world & be successful!

In that cases, we'd be able to re-sign Neto as well.

Speaking of Julian Champagnie -- his twin brother Justin has had an off-the-charts Sophomore year at Pitt. Bring him in too!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1646 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:51 pm

payitforward wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I'll go with a trade down for Duarte and Petrusev, UDFA for Hauser and Julian Champagnie, buy a mid 2nd rounder for either Jay Huff or Moses Wright, minimum free agent for Jeremy Lin. That's 6 cheap players.

If the young'uns all were regular roster, we'd have those 6 plus Beal, Russ, Bertans, Bryant, Rui, Deni, Gafford, Hutchison & Mathews. Lopez, Len, Smith, Neto, Bonga & Gill would be gone.

But, I bet they want to keep Gill. In any case, at least one of the draftees would wind up a 2-way player. Two if we decided not to retain Cassius Winston. Zards & I both like Winston; we'd be sorry to see him go. Still... he's a resourceful young man it seems; he'll make his way in the world & be successful!

Speaking of Julian Champagnie -- his twin brother Justin has had an off-the-charts Sophomore year at Pitt. Bring him in too!

Yes, bring in Justin too. He's shorter but seems tougher - a "dog" as they say nowadaze, rebounds like Westbrook. They're somewhat like the Martin brothers - Caleb and Cody.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1647 » by payitforward » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:05 pm

Yes, I was thinking about the Martin twins too....

I like both the Champagnie's a whole lot. This is one hell of a draft if guys with their abilities & their numbers aren't projected to be picked!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1648 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:15 pm

payitforward wrote:Yes, I was thinking about the Martin twins too....

I like both the Champagnie's a whole lot. This is one hell of a draft if guys with their abilities & their numbers aren't projected to be picked!

I think it's because of the length of their last name. Teams aren't willing to pay the extra money for so many letters on their jerseys. And they're concerned that it will be interpreted as promoting a certain type of alcoholic beverage.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,569

Post#1649 » by pcbothwel » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:28 pm

Ruz.. I like the trade down and the targets.
My only concern with Petrusev is that he cant really defend in space well, rebound, or protect the rim. I think he works really well as a rotational Center with Gafford, but I worry he would be redundant with Bryant in the near term.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1650 » by payitforward » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:39 pm

Ruzious wrote:

I think it's because of the length of their last name. Teams aren't willing to pay the extra money for so many letters on their jerseys. And they're concerned that it will be interpreted as promoting a certain type of alcoholic beverage.

Also there's a lot of opportunity to misspell those long names. This is not some easy situation like with the Martins.

Not to mention this weird obsession for twins whose first names start with the same letter. Really the Martins & the Champagnies need to arrange a name swap: Cody Champagnie... no that sounds too weird, make it Caleb Champagnie & Justin Martin. Yeah, there you go.

Best to wait until after the draft, however: the guys making mocks would have fits....
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1651 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:21 pm

payitforward wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Also there's a lot of opportunity to misspell those long names. This is not some easy situation like with the Martins.

Not to mention this weird obsession for twins whose first names start with the same letter. Really the Martins & the Champagnies need to arrange a name swap: Cody Champagnie... no that sounds too weird, make it Caleb Champagnie & Justin Martin. Yeah, there you go.

Best to wait until after the draft, however: the guys making mocks would have fits....

Come to think of it, the Morris twins also have first names starting with the same letter. Speaking as someone who actually does have an identical twin brother, I think that's weird. And there's no truth to the rumor that my brother's name is Ruzmatazs.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1652 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:25 pm

pcbothwel wrote:

Ruz.. I like the trade down and the targets.
My only concern with Petrusev is that he cant really defend in space well, rebound, or protect the rim. I think he works really well as a rotational Center with Gafford, but I worry he would be redundant with Bryant in the near term.

I'm hoping he can play PF, though I could be wrong. He got in better shape after leaving Gonzaga, and I think that helped with his athleticism. He certainly runs well enough. Does he have the quickness? We'll have to see.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,298

Post#1653 » by NatP4 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:43 pm

I think Petrusev is a PF in the NBA. I also think he’ll be a surprisingly solid defender. Not all that different from the kind of role Anthony Gill played this year.

Average defender, stretches the floor, makes the right play, smart, underrated passing and ball handling ability, elite finishing at the basket.

Probably not a rim protector at the 5 or big time rebounder, but still a solid defender.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1654 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:01 pm

payitforward wrote:

And all these moves aren't particularly hard to make. I'm thinking Tommy has a reasonable chance to put a fun team together - not a top 4 team in the East - but a team in that next group - and that could be ok. Obviously, we want better, but a good offseason would be a welcome start.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1655 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:49 pm

Ruzious wrote:
payitforward wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I think it's because of the length of their last name. Teams aren't willing to pay the extra money for so many letters on their jerseys. And they're concerned that it will be interpreted as promoting a certain type of alcoholic beverage.

Come to think of it, the Morris twins also have first names starting with the same letter. Speaking as someone who actually does have an identical twin brother, I think that's weird. And there's no truth to the rumor that my brother's name is Ruzmatazs.

Growing up, I knew a pair of identical twins named Teddy & Terry.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1656 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:54 pm

payitforward wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
payitforward wrote:Also there's a lot of opportunity to misspell those long names. This is not some easy situation like with the Martins.

Growing up, I knew a pair of identical twins named Teddy & Terry.

Come to think on it, I grew up knowing twins named Danny and Donny, but they were fraternal and didn't even look like brothers. Danny would routinely school me at basketball and every other sport. Donny was bigger - but not interested in sports.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1657 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:23 pm

Danny & Donny is perfect for fraternal twins. Now, if it had been Ron & Don, that would have been perfect for identical twins.

Note that I don't think Justin/Julian are identical, right? Nor Caleb/Cody.

Marcus & Markieff are, of course. But that pair of names -- identical first syllables, totally different second syllables -- doesn't fit any paradigm.

Then there are boy/girl twins -- can be like Martin/Martha or Lester/Hester.

Of course, some twins are neither identical nor fraternal:

SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#1658 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:16 am

Listened to Chad Ford podcast today, pretty good one about underrated players in the draft....

https://player.fm/series/chad-fords-nba-big-board-nba-draft-podcast

Josh Primo anyone??

SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#1659 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:26 am

Or how about this guy?

Vrenz Bleijenbergh

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1660 » by Ruzious » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:38 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Listened to Chad Ford podcast today, pretty good one about underrated players in the draft....

https://player.fm/series/chad-fords-nba-big-board-nba-draft-podcast

Josh Primo anyone??

I liked his highlights - he passed the eye test, but his stats are very ordinary. Less than an assist per game from a guard is not good, and he doesn't score much. Invite him to Summer League is the best I can do.

Return to Washington Wizards