Image ImageImage Image

OT: Bears Talk - Justin Fields era begins

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Re: OT: Bears Talk - Justin Fields era begins 

Post#721 » by Susan » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:50 pm

Read on Twitter
CaPiTanAK
Pro Prospect
And1: 435

Post#722 » by CaPiTanAK » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:28 pm

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/report-andy-dalton-has-ugly-ota-practice-while-justin-fields-shines/

Justin Fields is pushing Dalton for that starting QB position. Keep it up, rookie!
Susan
RealGM

Post#723 » by Susan » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:48 pm

Chewie
Lead Assistant
And1: 336

Post#724 » by Chewie » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:16 am

Hey, it's just one OTA practice but these tweets got me PUMPED!! :football: :lift: :love:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Turn down for what?
CaPiTanAK
Pro Prospect
And1: 435

Post#725 » by CaPiTanAK » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:46 am

Susan wrote:

A Lamar Jackson athletic profile with a Tom Brady genius football IQ. That’s the type of QB prospect that we just drafted. How the hell can you not start him Week 1 if he is digesting Nagy playbook like like a sponge and allowing Nagy to prove to the world his offensive genius?

At some point, Nagy will come down with the same conclusion in that Justin Fields will give the Bears the best chance of winning starting Week 1. If not, I expect Dalton to be benched after a half of football Week 1.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,205

Post#726 » by fleet » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:45 pm

Nagy said Fields is devouring the formations and stuff watching Dalton. His memory is good. Best things about a good QB is the mind, accuracy and arm. Fields has all 3. The rest is coachable, and Fields is that too. BTW, Jordan Love had a bounceback day yesterday :cry: Ah well, Fields is better, but the Packers will have a better team around him with more assets to burn going forward. We’ll see how it all shakes out in a few years.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,495

Post#727 » by dice » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:31 pm

fleet wrote:Nagy said Fields is devouring the formations and stuff watching Dalton. His memory is good. Best things about a good QB is the mind, accuracy and arm. Fields has all 3. The rest is coachable, and Fields is that too. BTW, Jordan Love had a bounceback day yesterday :cry: Ah well, Fields is better, but the Packers will have a better team around him with more assets to burn going forward. We’ll see how it all shakes out in a few years.

it truly is incredible how badly the packers have managed the aaron rodgers situation. jordan love is likely to be a bust. question is whether he can woo a team into giving him big bucks a la garoppolo. assuming that rodgers doesn't leave soon, that is

as for nagy, i wouldn't necessarily trust what he says. fields is his meal ticket. it has to work
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
micromonkey
Starter
And1: 627

Post#728 » by micromonkey » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:42 pm

So basically Justin fields has no weaknesses
Lamar Jackson x Brady but with a better arm and better learning efficiency

He’s DeathStar 3.0

I’m calling it-“DS3” branding and merchandising-I trademarked it here and now!
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 729

Post#729 » by Hold That » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:46 am

Justin fields is not on Lamars level of athletic ability, honestly nobody is. Lamar is like Barry Sanders with an arm.
Susan
RealGM

Post#730 » by Susan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:51 am

Hold That wrote:Justin fields is not on Lamars level of athletic ability, honestly nobody is. Lamar is like Barry Sanders with an arm.

He is on Eddie George's though. Not quite the power QB that Cam is/was but he's got a lot of what Russell has.
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 729

Post#731 » by Hold That » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:54 am

Susan wrote:
Hold That wrote:Justin fields is not on Lamars level of athletic ability, honestly nobody is. Lamar is like Barry Sanders with an arm.

He is on Eddie George's though. Not quite the power QB that Cam is/was but he's got a lot of what Russell has.

I would agree. I feel like Fields would be one of the top 3 most athletic QBs in the league from day one. Just want people avoid throwing Lamars name around because his athleticism is in a league of his own. Without it he might just be Tyrod Taylor.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#732 » by fleet » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:27 am

dice wrote:
fleet wrote:Nagy said Fields is devouring the formations and stuff watching Dalton. His memory is good. Best things about a good QB is the mind, accuracy and arm. Fields has all 3. The rest is coachable, and Fields is that too. BTW, Jordan Love had a bounceback day yesterday :cry: Ah well, Fields is better, but the Packers will have a better team around him with more assets to burn going forward. We’ll see how it all shakes out in a few years.

it truly is incredible how badly the packers have managed the aaron rodgers situation. jordan love is likely to be a bust. question is whether he can woo a team into giving him big bucks a la garoppolo. assuming that rodgers doesn't leave soon, that is

as for nagy, i wouldn't necessarily trust what he says. fields is his meal ticket. it has to work

They’ll give Love a lot of rope since he cost them Rogers. Not that they won’t be compensated. But the fans won’t be easily pawned off. The Nagy advice is well received. Just that Fields is a phenom IQ test type guy apparently, so it fit into his profile I guess.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#733 » by fleet » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:45 am

Susan wrote:

Rather him be more like McNabb McNair Josh Allen than Jackson as a runner. Wonder how long Jackson lasts. Sooner or later guys that hyper can take that shot like Vick did from Urlacher, and something shakes loose. Or they can wear out sooner than they should.
Ben Wilson25
Rookie
And1: 529

Post#734 » by Ben Wilson25 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:47 pm

fleet wrote:
Susan wrote:

Rather him be more like McNabb McNair Josh Allen than Jackson as a runner. Wonder how long Jackson lasts. Sooner or later guys that hyper can take that shot like Vick did from Urlacher, and something shakes loose. Or they can wear out sooner than they should.

With Mitch the talk was always about using bootlegs and other actions to get him outside the tackles to utilize his athleticism and play to his strengths. It made sense because he wasn’t good in the pocket. I feel like Fields at OSU was more in the Mahomes mold where making the throw out of the pocket was option #1 and the escapability and athleticism is just the cherry on top that makes him that much more dangerous when things break down. Taking off and running is the fall-back option and he just happens to be great at it when he does have to do it.
Chewie
Lead Assistant

Post#735 » by Chewie » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:04 pm

I'm pretty sure we have the 3rd fastest QB in the league right now with Fields behind Lamar and Kyler Murray.
Turn down for what?
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,615

Post#736 » by sco » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:05 pm

:clap:
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,622

Post#737 » by dougthonus » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:15 pm

sco wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bears-might-ve-found-trade-134242035.html

Given that the Bears would probably literally not ask for anything for Foles other than whatever the minimum they have to accept back (if there is such a thing, like there is in the NBA, something like a conditional 7th rounder), it makes a lot of sense for the Jets if they have four million in salary room that they won't use anyway.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,755

Post#738 » by Jcool0 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:45 pm

Read on Twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,622

Post#739 » by dougthonus » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:32 pm

Chewie wrote:I'm pretty sure we have the 3rd fastest QB in the league right now with Fields behind Lamar and Kyler Murray.

By 40 time, he had the 3rd fastest in league history behind Vick and Robert Griffin III, but Murray and Lamar didn't run (and in the quick article I mentioned the only two that didn't run that would have had a shot at beating Fields time), so this seems pretty accurate.

Fields really seems to have the whole package. Top 3 athleticism for his position, tremendous IQ, great arm strength, great accuracy, great leadership etc... The complaints are that he has small hands and can't get through progressions fast enough. The first of those doesn't seem like historically it has made much difference and the second of those may simply be a myth and if not can almost certainly be improved.

I've not been this excited about a Bears QB prospect in my life previously.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Chewie
Lead Assistant

Post#740 » by Chewie » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:05 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Chewie wrote:I'm pretty sure we have the 3rd fastest QB in the league right now with Fields behind Lamar and Kyler Murray.

By 40 time, he had the 3rd fastest in league history behind Vick and Robert Griffin III, but Murray and Lamar didn't run (and in the quick article I mentioned the only two that didn't run that would have had a shot at beating Fields time), so this seems pretty accurate.

Fields really seems to have the whole package. Top 3 athleticism for his position, tremendous IQ, great arm strength, great accuracy, great leadership etc... The complaints are that he has small hands and can't get through progressions fast enough. The first of those doesn't seem like historically it has made much difference and the second of those may simply be a myth and if not can almost certainly be improved.

I've not been this excited about a Bears QB prospect in my life previously.

Agreed. Admittedly, leading up to the draft I was watching videos of Fields where I was saying to myself "jeez, he sure looks like a one-read guy" but I've been thru enough "tape" post-draft more thoroughly to see that busted where he is going thru his progressions to help alleviate that. Not going to get too crazy about "will he start Week 1" hype and just let that take care of itself.
Turn down for what?

Return to Chicago Bulls