ImageImageImage

Hal’s Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,167

Re: 2021 Craft Your Boston Celtics Draft Thread 

Post#621 » by playa-hater » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:01 pm

Hal14 wrote:EJ Onu
6'11", 7'6" wingspan, 240 lbs.

Celtics brought him in for a workout:
https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/08/celtics-reportedly-working-out-ej-onu-potential-sleeper-stretch-big-man

Reminds me a lot of Kai Jones. Except Jones is less developed, more raw. Then again, Jones is a year and a half younger than Onu.

Video of Onu:

When I see the video, it's like watching Jones if Jones was 1.5 years older and keeps working on his game during that 1.5 years, and also if Jones is able to pack on another 22 pounds over the next 1.5 years...and also if Jones was facing much weaker competition. I feel like the Celtics would rather have the guy who is less raw, more developed, since we're not rebuilding - we're trying to win a title within the next 3 years. And it's not like Jones has a higher ceiling/upside - both of them are 6'11", both are quick, both are long and athletic with ability as a rim runner as well as ability to hit the 3 and run the floor. Only edge I see for Jones is that since he is 22 lbs lighter, he has better lateral quickness/agility to better switch out on guards/wings and defend them out to the perimeter.

Onu even has that smooth 1 legged turnaround fadeaway jumper in his repertoire, like Isaiah Todd.

LOL, I posted this a day ago, but left the higlights of the VCU guard instead.. another in a long line of prospects that should make for a deep 2nd rd.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#622 » by playa-hater » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:02 pm

Fierce1 wrote:It's about time the Celts get taller players.

Can't stand the undersized PFs and midgets of the Celts anymore.

glad you joined the club 8-)
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#623 » by playa-hater » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:07 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:The Celtics have a pipeline into Duke (not just Tatum because Steve Pagliuca is also a big Dukie whose son was a walk on who played for Coach K) so they will have good information on Jaylen Johnson.

As for Onu, he has a huge wingspan and can put the ball on the floor, but someone needs to teach him how to block a shot and retain possession. Also, all those dunks against shorter players makes me wonder about the level of competition. He should transfer to a name basketball school for a year. If he does well, he could be a lottery pick instead of a seconds rounder. I'm also reading that Golden State has interest because one of their assistants coaches the Nigerian national team..

long term this is certainly true. just thinking so many kids, expecially from Nigeria, may need money ASAP. so worst case 2nd rd + G-league devlopment.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,795

Post#624 » by 31to6 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:22 pm

playa-hater wrote:

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/08/celtics-reportedly-working-out-ej-onu-potential-sleeper-stretch-big-man

Reminds me a lot of Kai Jones. Except Jones is less developed, more raw. Then again, Jones is a year and a half younger than Onu.

Video of Onu:

When I see the video, it's like watching Jones if Jones was 1.5 years older and keeps working on his game during that 1.5 years, and also if Jones is able to pack on another 22 pounds over the next 1.5 years...and also if Jones was facing much weaker competition. I feel like the Celtics would rather have the guy who is less raw, more developed, since we're not rebuilding - we're trying to win a title within the next 3 years. And it's not like Jones has a higher ceiling/upside - both of them are 6'11", both are quick, both are long and athletic with ability as a rim runner as well as ability to hit the 3 and run the floor. Only edge I see for Jones is that since he is 22 lbs lighter, he has better lateral quickness/agility to better switch out on guards/wings and defend them out to the perimeter.

Onu even has that smooth 1 legged turnaround fadeaway jumper in his repertoire, like Isaiah Todd.

LOL, I posted this a day ago, but left the higlights of the VCU guard instead.. another in a long line of prospects that should make for a deep 2nd rd.

good lord what is Shawnee State and why do they have Deandre Ayton's more skilled clone playing basketball for them??
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,638

Post#625 » by BK_2020 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:37 pm

playa-hater wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:The Celtics have a pipeline into Duke (not just Tatum because Steve Pagliuca is also a big Dukie whose son was a walk on who played for Coach K) so they will have good information on Jaylen Johnson.

As for Onu, he has a huge wingspan and can put the ball on the floor, but someone needs to teach him how to block a shot and retain possession. Also, all those dunks against shorter players makes me wonder about the level of competition. He should transfer to a name basketball school for a year. If he does well, he could be a lottery pick instead of a seconds rounder. I'm also reading that Golden State has interest because one of their assistants coaches the Nigerian national team..

long term this is certainly true. just thinking so many kids, expecially from Nigeria, may need money ASAP. so worst case 2nd rd + G-league devlopment.

Why are we assuming that kids from Nigeria need money ASAP more so than kids from the US or Serbia or the like?
Also, E.J. Onu was born in Cleveland. And Nigerian immigrants are some of the highest earning demographics in the US.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#626 » by Andrew McCeltic » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:14 pm

Haven’t seen any other mocks where Jalen Johnson lasts to 16
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#627 » by Spin Move » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:18 pm

Video of Onu:

He only grabbed 8 board a game against NAIA competition which is maybe the equivalent of D3, he was probably by far the tallest player in most of his games, that seems like a red flag to me, but as a 2nd round flyer you can have a red flag or two.

I disagree about this years draft with many who have said it is good, the top is great, but the middle of the draft (6-20) I feel is substantially weaker then last years. That does not mean there won't be a player or two to be had at 16 but I feel after the top 5 last year was a much stronger class.

I am most intruiged by Giddy if he drops to 16, something tells me we are probably not keeping the pick though.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#628 » by djFan71 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:54 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Haven’t seen any other mocks where Jalen Johnson lasts to 16

Me neither. Seems like they put more stock into the red flags than others or something. They also seem to be higher on Garuba then others.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#629 » by playa-hater » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:26 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

Why are we assuming that kids from Nigeria need money ASAP more so than kids from the US or Serbia or the like?
Also, E.J. Onu was born in Cleveland. And Nigerian immigrants are some of the highest earning demographics in the US.

I coached/trained about a dozen in my lifetime. they all did in my experience. If he doesn't, then good for him and his family.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#630 » by playa-hater » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:34 pm

djFan71 wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:Haven’t seen any other mocks where Jalen Johnson lasts to 16

Me neither. Seems like they put more stock into the red flags than others or something. They also seem to be higher on Garuba then others.

In my top players for Boston are Jalen and Kai, who are way above my 3rd hopeful. there is a good chance neither will be available. My problem is there are about 6 players clumped together for my 3rd choice.

still waiting for workout updates.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,604

Post#631 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:37 am

"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,009

Post#632 » by Hal14 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:23 am

I've seen a couple but most of them he goes in the top 15.

From what I've seen in mocks, the following players are absolutely guaranteed to be gone in the first 15 picks. There's literally no way we get 1 of these 8 guys unless we trade up:
Cade Cunningham
Evan Mobley
Jalen Green
Jalen Suggs
Jonathan Kuminga
Scottie Barnes
Keon Johnson
Moses Moody

This next section, they will more than likely be off the board in the top 15 but there's a small chance they're still available:
Jalen Johnson
Davion Mitchell
Franz Wagner
Josh Giddey

This next group it's like a 50/50 whether they'll still be there, maybe, maybe not...
Jaden Springer
Kai Jones
Alperen Sengun
Usman Garuba
Korey Kispert
James Bouknight

Almost definitely will still be available at 16:
Jared Butler
Isaiah Jackson
Ziaire Williams
Tre Mann
Cam Thomas

It'll be a shocker if anyone not listed above goes in the top 15. But hey, you never know..and there's still a few weeks left till the draft. Some players could move up/down after the combine..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Celtics_History_Lesson
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,267

Post#633 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:46 am

First time running the draft lottery, the foreign NBA team won it.

Second time running the draft lottery, the Toronto team won again.

It might be rigged.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#634 » by themoneyteam2 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:06 am

A big man to develop for a year or two behind Timelord. Really need to get another young big in the system, especially with Timelord’s injury history. That was part of the reason I really liked Precious Achiuwa last year
winsomme2
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#635 » by winsomme2 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:47 pm

Hal14 wrote:

From what I've seen in mocks, the following players are absolutely guaranteed to be gone in the first 15 picks. There's literally no way we get 1 of these 8 guys unless we trade up:
Cade Cunningham
Evan Mobley
Jalen Green
Jalen Suggs
Jonathan Kuminga
Scottie Barnes
Keon Johnson
Moses Moody

This next section, they will more than likely be off the board in the top 15 but there's a small chance they're still available:
Jalen Johnson
Davion Mitchell
Franz Wagner
Josh Giddey

This next group it's like a 50/50 whether they'll still be there, maybe, maybe not...
Jaden Springer
Kai Jones
Alperen Sengun
Usman Garuba
Korey Kispert
James Bouknight

Jared Butler
Isaiah Jackson
Ziaire Williams
Tre Mann
Cam Thomas

It'll be a shocker if anyone not listed above goes in the top 15. But hey, you never know..and there's still a few weeks left till the draft. Some players could move up/down after the combine..

I basically agree here. The one player I would add to the list of possible top 15 is Josh Christopher. I could see him getting a lot publicity in the next month and having great workouts. He's just a well rounded prospect with a high ceiling.

I'd also add Roko Prkacin to the high risers list. Maybe not top 15 but close.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,009

Post#636 » by Hal14 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:21 pm

winsomme2 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Cade Cunningham
Evan Mobley
Jalen Green
Jalen Suggs
Jonathan Kuminga
Scottie Barnes
Keon Johnson
Moses Moody

Jalen Johnson
Davion Mitchell
Franz Wagner
Josh Giddey

Jaden Springer
Kai Jones
Alperen Sengun
Usman Garuba
Korey Kispert
James Bouknight

Jared Butler
Isaiah Jackson
Ziaire Williams
Tre Mann
Cam Thomas

I basically agree here. The one player I would add to the list of possible top 15 is Josh Christopher. I could see him getting a lot publicity in the next month and having great workouts. He's just a well rounded prospect with a high ceiling.

I was just basing it off all the mocks and rankings lists I've seen to this point. I haven't seen Roko, Christopher (or anyone not listed in the post) in anyone's top 15 thus far.

There could definitely be some movement as we get closer to the draft, though..

In addition to Roko and Christopher, other guys I could see as stock risers as we get closer to the draft: Isaiah Todd, Neemias Queta, Nah'Shon Hyland, Charles Bassey, JT Thor and EJ Onu. These are all guys projected by most people to go in the 2nd round but I can see their stocks rising quite a bit over the next few weeks..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,604

Post#637 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:26 pm

Usman Garuba and Alperen Sengun should go much higher than projected. This year's NBA MVP was drafted at #41. If one of these players is available at #16 it's a no brainer.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#638 » by playa-hater » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:26 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:A big man to develop for a year or two behind Timelord. Really need to get another young big in the system, especially with Timelord’s injury history. That was part of the reason I really liked Precious Achiuwa last year

I think/hope there should be a nice upside talented big to develop in RD 2. And by big I mean a pure center. RD 1 I am still all in on any more all-around skilled bigger forward if possilble.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#639 » by playa-hater » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:32 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Usman Garuba and Alperen Sengun should go much higher than projected. This year's NBA MVP was drafted at #41. If one of these players is available at #16 it's a no brainer.

I'd be curious to hear which of the 2 would be better/prefered for Boston. One is more of a pure center. the other a bit more versatile..

your opinion and which would be more of an Stevens' type of player.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#640 » by playa-hater » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:34 pm

winsomme2 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Cade Cunningham
Evan Mobley
Jalen Green
Jalen Suggs
Jonathan Kuminga
Scottie Barnes
Keon Johnson
Moses Moody

Jalen Johnson
Davion Mitchell
Franz Wagner
Josh Giddey

Jaden Springer
Kai Jones
Alperen Sengun
Usman Garuba
Korey Kispert
James Bouknight

Jared Butler
Isaiah Jackson
Ziaire Williams
Tre Mann
Cam Thomas

I basically agree here. The one player I would add to the list of possible top 15 is Josh [/b[b]]Christopher. I could see him getting a lot publicity in the next month and having great workouts. He's just a well rounded prospect with a high ceiling.

I love that Christopher has a step in NBA body already.

Return to Boston Celtics