ImageImageImageImageImage

WOJ: Bjorkgren out at Indy

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,625

Re: WOJ: Bjorkgren out at Indy 

Post#21 » by C_Money » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:36 pm

Who the hell would want to coach there under that environment? Sounds absolutely terrible.
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,480

Post#22 » by Spida888 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:52 pm

Well the silver lining is he had another guaranteed year of salary even when canned, but hurts his rep when you get fired in the first year.

I'm interested in seeing what a healthy Pacers team would look like. Some people are high on them thinking they're a top 4 seed, but I'm not totally convinced.

I think a healthy Boston and Miami team should be better than them. Atlanta is probably better. If we get a decent C, we may be better.
rapluva
Analyst
And1: 938

Post#23 » by rapluva » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:24 pm

:cry:
WeThe2019Champs wrote:Might hire former Portland coach??

I think Casey will hire the former Portland coach .
Blood Orange
Sixth Man
And1: 2,795

Post#24 » by Blood Orange » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:03 pm

I hope they hire Chris Mullin or Reggie Miller as HC, would be epic.
canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,266

Post#25 » by canada_dry » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:04 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:Couldn't even get a "decided to part ways."
Still didn't use the word "fired".

Chuck might be onto something lol.

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
visionquest
Starter
And1: 2,378

Post#26 » by visionquest » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:06 pm

Bjorkgren replaced Nate McMillan, who was fired following his fourth consecutive first-round playoff exit despite being a No. 4 seed.

The Pacers finished ninth under Bjorkgren, who was supposed to be the opposite of the hard-edged McMillan. But Bjorkgren rubbed too many people around the organization the wrong way, especially his players, with defensive schemes that were too aggressive for their personnel.

Aside from being a micro-manager, Bjorkgren was resistant to change and input from his staff, which grew frustrated, too. That snowballed in a May 5 home loss to the Sacramento Kings as Goga Bitadze shouted down assistant coach Greg Foster in an on-court verbal altercation. Foster was suspended for one game. Bitadze was fined by the team.

A search is already underway by president Kevin Pritchard, but given the Pacers were in this position just nine months ago means they're not starting from scratch.

They didn't want to go with a "retread" before hiring Bjorkgren, taking a risk on the 45-year-old who'd been a league assistant for just four seasons.

The Pacers took a swing. They missed.

The 2021-22 season for Bjorkgren is guaranteed so owner Herb Simon will have to pay two coaches.
libertyYYZ
Pro Prospect
And1: 761

Post#27 » by libertyYYZ » Wed Jun 9, 2021 10:03 pm

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:Nicholas 'bout to get his lead assistant back to replace Finch.

Would like this to happen since he and Nurse worked so well together.

I wonder though if the Raptors keep going back to internal growth and letting the natural evolution of internal leadership to continue. If Nate comes back, then somebody with talent looking to step up gets set back and starts to look outside. This version of the Raptors since Leiwicke arrived hasn't really pulled people back and focuses on organizational growth. Nate will land another job, probably not with us.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." -- Michael Jordan
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,497

Post#28 » by bboyskinnylegs » Wed Jun 9, 2021 10:13 pm

libertyYYZ wrote:
Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:Nicholas 'bout to get his lead assistant back to replace Finch.

Would like this to happen since he and Nurse worked so well together.

I wonder though if the Raptors keep going back to internal growth and letting the natural evolution of internal leadership to continue. If Nate comes back, then somebody with talent looking to step up gets set back and starts to look outside. This version of the Raptors since Leiwicke arrived hasn't really pulled people back and focuses on organizational growth. Nate will land another job, probably not with us.

yeah so far we seem to have had an 'up or out' culture with our team personnel. Will be interesting to see if we actually bring him back here because of that. Though it's also unlikely he's considered for another HC job in the foreseeable future after being dismissed within a year. I guess it will be Nick's call, he seems to have autonomy over his coaching staff.
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,006

Post#29 » by kalel123 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 10:30 pm

RapsFan008 wrote:Well the silver lining is he had another guaranteed year of salary even when canned, but hurts his rep when you get fired in the first year.

I'm interested in seeing what a healthy Pacers team would look like. Some people are high on them thinking they're a top 4 seed, but I'm not totally convinced.

I think a healthy Boston and Miami team should be better than them. Atlanta is probably better. If we get a decent C, we may be better.

The problem with teams like Indiana or Portland is that they are in denial in terms of their roster issues. The largest issue preventing them from having playoff success is their roster construction but they keep finding ways to blame everything else but the roster so they are never going anywhere.
Skeezo
Analyst
And1: 2,737

Post#30 » by Skeezo » Wed Jun 9, 2021 10:58 pm

I would be shocked to see Nate return to the Raptors... Sure, its the easy thing to do, but it wouldn't look good if he returns to a place where he is safe if he actually wants another crack at a HC gig in the future... I see him being a lead assistant somewhere else in hope of getting another HC and organization singing his praises.
TheBoi10
General Manager
And1: 11,891

Post#31 » by TheBoi10 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:29 pm

Embarrassing ordeal for Bjork, Indy AND Nurse along w/ the Raps
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,006

Post#32 » by kalel123 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:53 pm

TheBoi10 wrote:Embarrassing ordeal for Bjork, Indy AND Nurse along w/ the Raps

Why would it be embarrassing for Nurse and Raps? For all we know, he was perfectly fine as an assistant and this looks to be more on Pacers and their management than anything else.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,545

Post#33 » by 2019nbachamps » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:07 am

Wouldn’t be surprised if he returns.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,782
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#34 » by Boogie! » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:14 am

It's interesting how they note defensive schemes too aggressive for their personnel... Sounds like he was trying to bring nurses defense over to Indiana... Why would anyone have a problem with it there when no one has a problem with it here? I get personnel has something to do with it, but why can't the players buy in?

Its interesting because a team like Miami is known as no nonsense, their way or the highway, but they get praised for that culture, but for some reason bjorkgren is too inflexible and difficult? So he's not allowed to instill culture with the team and organization? Idk.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,487

Post#35 » by Bankai » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:19 am

Nate and Kemba are short living their new teams, I wonder what really went down...
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,886

Post#36 » by OAKLEY_2 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:13 am

TheBoi10 wrote:Embarrassing ordeal for Bjork, Indy AND Nurse along w/ the Raps

How is it in any way embarrassing for the Raptors?
seanbig
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#37 » by seanbig » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:24 am

Skeezo wrote:I would be shocked to see Nate return to the Raptors... Sure, its the easy thing to do, but it wouldn't look good if he returns to a place where he is safe if he actually wants another crack at a HC gig in the future... I see him being a lead assistant somewhere else in hope of getting another HC and organization singing his praises.

Honestly I highly doubt he gets another shot as a head coach so might as well go back to the raps
Official 1,000,000 post crew
Raptor95,Seanbig,Spykelee,ClutchCarter,
aRapsFan4eva,Koz RJC, MAS, Slowlydrowningme,bigdub,GQstylin
kj_
Analyst
And1: 3,298

Post#38 » by kj_ » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:31 am

Boogie! wrote:It's interesting how they note defensive schemes too aggressive for their personnel... Sounds like he was trying to bring nurses defense over to Indiana... Why would anyone have a problem with it there when no one has a problem with it here? I get personnel has something to do with it, but why can't the players buy in?

Its interesting because a team like Miami is known as no nonsense, their way or the highway, but they get praised for that culture, but for some reason bjorkgren is too inflexible and difficult? So he's not allowed to instill culture with the team and organization? Idk.

I can see players hating the aggressive defensive system. It only works if everyone is working their ass off. A lot of NBA players don’t want to work that hard day in and day out in the regular season.

The raps used to get disrespected by players and media saying they do well in the regular season because they try harder than everyone else, but once the playoffs start and all teams try then they can’t succeed.

Seems to me the Pacers team has a culture problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jim Todd Jr.
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,483

Post#39 » by Jim Todd Jr. » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:06 am

Off topic and unrealistic but imagine Sabonis as a raptor? Small ball 5 beside og and siakam

instantly busted a nut
Chips with the dip baybeeee.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,594

Post#40 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:13 am

Johnny Bball wrote:They should fire Pritchard while they are at it. He can't possibly wash his hands of this and not take a significant amount of the blame.

For sure.

And Woj comes away from this as a hatchet man/mouthpiece for Pritchard
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.

Return to Toronto Raptors