ImageImageImageImageImage

Free Agent Talk

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,202

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#1761 » by wco81 » Sat May 29, 2021 7:39 am

Who’s head of player personnel? They report to Myers but the people who actually scout, who know about player development?
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#1762 » by Scoots1994 » Sat May 29, 2021 2:34 pm

DAWill1128 wrote:Article came out saying Kendrick Nunn might command 15 million per year in free agency. That’s an incredible climb considering he was a G-League after thought here. Considering he’s averaged 15 ppg in his first two seasons as a starter on a playoff team that went to the Finals it kinda makes you wonder. Why did we think he wasn’t an NBA player? He shot the ball well this year, 48% from FG and 38% from 3p. Nunn would have been a good scorer and ball handler to have next to Poole. I don’t know if he’s 15 million per year good, but he’s a good player to have in a rotation for sure.

I was stoked when we got Nunn and pissed when they let him leave (same as Boucher) ... IIRC it was a numbers game and they kept a more experienced player or a player at a position of more need. The sort of decisions teams make all the time to win now instead of in the future. I understand the moves but that doesn't mean they don't hurt.

I wish NBA teams were allowed 20 players and that the tax threshold only counted players not on minimum contracts. The NBA sucks at developing players and I think that would help a lot with getting players with potential to be real NBA players.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1763 » by Scoots1994 » Sat May 29, 2021 3:07 pm

wco81 wrote:Who’s head of player personnel? They report to Myers but the people who actually scout, who know about player development?

In addition to the 2 Lacob kids Kerr's kid Nick is now in player development which I hadn't noticed.

The main scouting department is run by the same people who have been there from the beginning, and Larry Harris (player personell and assistant GM) and Mike Dunleavy (assistant GM) running that part for Myers. As far as I know there hasn't been any significant turnover in scouts in recent years.

I think they need some new ideas in the coaching staff. I know they are always developing young coaches and I know Livingston and Barbosa are on staff and involved, but I'd like someone brought in higher up. Someone like Charles Lee from the Bucks or Adrian Griffin of the Raps. Go ahead and keep Mike Brown around if you want Steve but you need people who are so good the team can't keep them because they can help the team get better.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,202

Post#1764 » by wco81 » Sat May 29, 2021 4:51 pm

I also remember a report with some people from San Jose, who apparently have a big role in development.

I wonder if those are the people who gave feedback on Nunn and Boucher, while they went to the trouble of acquiring Smiley.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1765 » by Scoots1994 » Sat May 29, 2021 10:06 pm

wco81 wrote:I also remember a report with some people from San Jose, who apparently have a big role in development.

I wonder if those are the people who gave feedback on Nunn and Boucher, while they went to the trouble of acquiring Smiley.

I think a lot of it comes down to the current system not leaving space to develop players that take multiple years to get there. Bad teams are under extreme pressure to get better now so they often give up too soon and top teams are under pressure to win now so they move them for more proven assets. The well run teams in the middle tend to benefit when they get good players who just need to be used right, developed some more, and given playing time.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,743

Post#1766 » by azwfan » Sun May 30, 2021 4:15 pm

What are the chances we can get a guy like Dougy Mcbuckets for the TPMLE?

He’d be a solid experienced wing off the bench. Gotta imagine playing McBuckets over Baze and Baze over Lee/Mulder would be a nice upgrade especially with the uncertainty of Klays return (timing wise).
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Mob Byers
Rookie
And1: 767

Post#1767 » by Mob Byers » Tue Jun 1, 2021 2:53 am

What do we have as far as what we can use in free agency?

I have a strange feeling that DeMar DeRozan might be an option and for the low
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#1768 » by ChuckDurn » Tue Jun 1, 2021 5:19 am

Mob Byers wrote:What do we have as far as what we can use in free agency?

I have a strange feeling that DeMar DeRozan might be an option and for the low

Obviously, no cap space. I think all we’ve got is the taxpayer’s MLE of about $5.9 (can be divided among multiple players), or minimum contracts. We have a couple of tiny TPE’s from trading Wanamaker and Chriss, but they’re so small that they’re basically a couple of minimum contract slots as well (though only can be used to acquire a player by trade).
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1769 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 9:21 pm

Need a capologist to check in here ... if CP3 opts out of his contract do the Suns have a cap hold until they renounce him or can they use the space under the cap created by him opting out (~$27M) to sign a free agent and THEN sign CP3 to the max contract they can sign him to? And if they renounce him then they can only use cap space to sign him right?
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#1770 » by xdrta+ » Thu Jun 3, 2021 10:25 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:Need a capologist to check in here ... if CP3 opts out of his contract do the Suns have a cap hold until they renounce him or can they use the space under the cap created by him opting out (~$27M) to sign a free agent and THEN sign CP3 to the max contract they can sign him to? And if they renounce him then they can only use cap space to sign him right?

If Paul opts out of his contract, he becomes an UFA with the customary cap hold for the Suns (it's still part of team salary.) However, if they renounce him, they give up the right to use the Bird, Early Bird, or Non-Bird exception, so he wouldn't count towards team salary. In other words, no cap hold once he's renounced. Teams use renouncement to gain additional cap room.

They could re-sign him but only with cap room or an exception (other than the Bird exception.)
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1771 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 11:00 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:Need a capologist to check in here ... if CP3 opts out of his contract do the Suns have a cap hold until they renounce him or can they use the space under the cap created by him opting out (~$27M) to sign a free agent and THEN sign CP3 to the max contract they can sign him to? And if they renounce him then they can only use cap space to sign him right?

If Paul opts out of his contract, he becomes an UFA with the customary cap hold for the Suns (it's still part of team salary.) However, if they renounce him, they give up the right to use the Bird, Early Bird, or Non-Bird exception, so he wouldn't count towards team salary. In other words, no cap hold once he's renounced. Teams use renouncement to gain additional cap room.

They could re-sign him but only with cap room or an exception (other than the Bird exception.)

Okay, that's what I thought. Saw a talking head say that when he opts out the Suns could use the money AND max CP3.

Another capologist question ... What is the Lakers cap space for a single contract (I know there are cap holds on empty roster spots) if all players opt out and they renounce all players? Basically if they have LeBron, AD, Kuzma, KCP, and Deng. Just wondering what they could pay CP3 if they wanted to go all in ... I think it's basically the MLE but want to ask our local expert.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#1772 » by shazam_guy » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:45 pm

DAWill1128 wrote:Article came out saying Kendrick Nunn might command 15 million per year in free agency. That’s an incredible climb considering he was a G-League after thought here. Considering he’s averaged 15 ppg in his first two seasons as a starter on a playoff team that went to the Finals it kinda makes you wonder. Why did we think he wasn’t an NBA player? He shot the ball well this year, 48% from FG and 38% from 3p. Nunn would have been a good scorer and ball handler to have next to Poole. I don’t know if he’s 15 million per year good, but he’s a good player to have in a rotation for sure.

The year we had Nunn in the G-League he was good but not great. Short 33 percent on 3s. Damion Lee shot 40 percent and led the team in scoring, so I'm guessing the Warriors considered him a higher priority.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,144

Post#1773 » by TB » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:20 pm

azwfan wrote:What are the chances we can get a guy like Dougy Mcbuckets for the TPMLE?

He’d be a solid experienced wing off the bench. Gotta imagine playing McBuckets over Baze and Baze over Lee/Mulder would be a nice upgrade especially with the uncertainty of Klays return (timing wise).

McBuckets is the guy I want/wanted as well, but over the last couple months it looks like he is going to get a big payday. I wouldn't doubt if he gets more interest than Oubre.

I'm starting to think we are going to be looking in the bargain basket at guys like Snell, Otto, Mills etc level guys when it comes to the TPMLE.

And at that point, I hate to even say it.... but do we sign Oubre at that point to keep the salary spot and bolster our bench scoring...
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#1774 » by Mr B » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:32 am

TB wrote:
azwfan wrote:What are the chances we can get a guy like Dougy Mcbuckets for the TPMLE?

McBuckets is the guy I want/wanted as well, but over the last couple months it looks like he is going to get a big payday. I wouldn't doubt if he gets more interest than Oubre.

I'm starting to think we are going to be looking in the bargain basket at guys like Snell, Otto, Mills etc level guys when it comes to the TPMLE.

And at that point, I hate to even say it.... but do we sign Oubre at that point to keep the salary spot and bolster our bench scoring...

What about Fournier? Isn’t he an UFA? If KP is traded I would think Markanen would be the best option, especially considering he’s openly said he wants to play here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mob Byers
Rookie
And1: 767

Post#1775 » by Mob Byers » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:47 am

Mr B wrote:
TB wrote:

What about Fournier? Isn’t he an UFA? If KP is traded I would think Markanen would be the best option, especially considering he’s openly said he wants to play here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you get lost in the simulation?
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1776 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:17 am

TB wrote:

Oubre thinks he can get $80M ... I seriously doubt the Warriors pay that for him.

It's going to be bargain guys. The Lakers need a lot of players, have more money, and are the Lakers.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,144

Post#1777 » by TB » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:14 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
TB wrote:

Oubre thinks he can get $80M ... I seriously doubt the Warriors pay that for him.

It's going to be bargain guys. The Lakers need a lot of players, have more money, and are the Lakers.

Ya I think you're right. And i'd only even consider re-signing Oubre if its in the 10-15m range AND we couldn't use the MLE on someone of a Snell/Otto level.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1778 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:03 pm

I saw a trade of a re-signed Oubre that was interesting.

Oubre re-signs for the $20M per he wants and is traded to the Heat for a player they have fallen out of love with and a filler contract ... Herro and Iguodala. To get that done it may require a sweetener, I don't think it would be the Minny first.

Iguodala would then either play a little or accept a sweet deal buyout and Herro potentially changes the Warriors draft priorities.
mos_def
Sixth Man
And1: 277

Post#1779 » by mos_def » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:14 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:I saw a trade of a re-signed Oubre that was interesting.

Oubre re-signs for the $20M per he wants and is traded to the Heat for a player they have fallen out of love with and a filler contract ... Herro and Iguodala. To get that done it may require a sweetener, I don't think it would be the Minny first.

Iguodala would then either play a little or accept a sweet deal buyout and Herro potentially changes the Warriors draft priorities.

I may be missing the obvious, but how does Tyler herro change our draft priority? It would give us a hell of a backcourt bench
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#1780 » by Warriors Analyst » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:17 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:I saw a trade of a re-signed Oubre that was interesting.

That's a great trade for the Warriors. There's no way that's something Miami is interested in.

Return to Golden State Warriors