ImageImageImage

The End of Carlisle's Position-less Basketball?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

The End of Carlisle's Position-less Basketball? 

Post#1 » by arkuo » Mon Jun 7, 2021 9:39 am

This Clipper series; to me; proved the end of Carlisle's position-less basketball experiment. The last few games with Boban playing heavy minutes proved the need for a real center and not just 5 people standing outside trying to shoot threes.

Boban was brought in to be Luka's babysitter, not play meaningful playoff minutes trying to slow down Kahwi and PG. But Carlisle still had to go for it given the lack of choices on the bench and KP's hesitation to be physical inside.

This offseason might be the start of finding a real center. Even Lebron teams have a Dwight Howard, an Andre Drummond or a Javale Mcgee setting picks and banging for rebounds. Carlisle's experiment on having all players stand outside and wait for an open three didnt pay off and we should see a deviation from that strategy starting this summer. It just doesn't work.

I wouldn't be opposed to getting Steven Adams setting solid screens for Luka. If Adams were on Boban's shoes in games 6 and 7, it would probably have netted better results. I mean, if you were open to using a traditional center there anyway, might as well get someone good, right?
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,375

Re: The End of Carlisle's Position-less Basketball? 

Post#2 » by Mavrelous » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:14 pm

I wouldn't go this far, it's not just RC, the whole league is like that, and that's exactly why Boban was such a huge offensive advantage (and defensive liability)
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
mabundo_nagumbe
Junior
And1: 606

Post#3 » by mabundo_nagumbe » Mon Jun 7, 2021 6:21 pm

KhalilS wrote:I wouldn't go this far, it's not just RC, the whole league is like that, and that's exactly why Boban was such a huge offensive advantage (and defensive liability)

Meanwhile, some of the bestthings teams last two season have more or less traditional bigs, some of them are capable f hitting threes on good percentage but low volume: lakers, suns, jazz, denver, 76ers, Nets, Clippers (Zubac wasn't playing much in the PO for obvious reasons, but i dont think there are many players who will abuse him in PnR as much as Luka did. On another note, Mike Conley and Jingles just might in the next round), Hawks ...
arkuo
General Manager

Post#4 » by arkuo » Tue Jun 8, 2021 11:57 am

KhalilS wrote:I wouldn't go this far, it's not just RC, the whole league is like that, and that's exactly why Boban was such a huge offensive advantage (and defensive liability)

Ideally. But the data shows otherwise. The top teams in West even have Gobert and Ayton who barely stands outside the 3 point line like Carlisle instructs his bigs, yet they are successful with Mitchell and Booker running around like Luka. I think it could work with a traditional big.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,554

Post#5 » by Bob8 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:38 pm

arkuo wrote:

Ideally. But the data shows otherwise. The top teams in West even have Gobert and Ayton who barely stands outside the 3 point line like Carlisle instructs his bigs, yet they are successful with Mitchell and Booker running around like Luka. I think it could work with a traditional big.

Then you're for trading KP, because he's useless as 4.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#6 » by arkuo » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:03 am

Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Then you're for trading KP, because he's useless as 4.

Yes. I was thinking of the possibility of replacing KP with Steven Adams.
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#7 » by agentofatlas » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:58 am

The only reason Rick didn't play his midget lineup was because we have no guards in the team that could playmake. Which is the one of the reasons you go small in the first place.

Anyway there was no grand RC experiment. The guy just played what the team had.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#8 » by arkuo » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:36 am

agentofatlas wrote:The only reason Rick didn't play his midget lineup was because we have no guards in the team that could playmake. Which is the one of the reasons you go small in the first place.

Anyway there was no grand RC experiment. The guy just played what the team had.

Donnie and Carlisle need to talk more. Because Donnie sent out James Johnson and Iwundu for a Youtuber. I think those guys could have at least stayed with Batum and Mann.
boogiezen
Senior
And1: 410

Post#9 » by boogiezen » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:58 am

I've be critical about Carlisle but he is not only the problem. Donnie Nelson should have been in the hot seat every single season! The clown had the audacity to throw your franchise player under the bus when you put a **** as* team to begin with. Heck, he traded their number 1 shooter for 3&D guy who hardly played and could not even dribble the fuc**** ball!!!
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,753

Post#10 » by leolozon » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:27 am

It looks like the team went away from what was working during the season and RC tried deperately to force things with Boban and then Burke in game 7. I think playing them was admitting defeat and didn't help the offense. I rather just give the shots to THJ, DFS, KP and hope they get hot from 3, than seeing the offense "run through" Boban and be subjected to his defense.

I didn't like it at all as it happened.

Doing that fast extra pass when Luka was double teamed worked, yet it seems like they stopped doing it in game 6 and 7.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#11 » by arkuo » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:05 pm

leolozon wrote:It looks like the team went away from what was working during the season and RC tried deperately to force things with Boban and then Burke in game 7. I think playing them was admitting defeat and didn't help the offense. I rather just give the shots to THJ, DFS, KP and hope they get hot from 3, than seeing the offense "run through" Boban and be subjected to his defense.

I didn't like it at all as it happened.

Doing that fast extra pass when Luka was double teamed worked, yet it seems like they stopped doing it in game 6 and 7.

The Boban lineup wasn't played all year. Meaning those guys didn't have any plays practiced for them.

And with Carlisle pulling that out of his a$$ for an important game 6 and game 7 means he ran out of ideas apart from his 5 out offense. We all know he's milking his 2011 card for too long now. Cuban knows it too. It's just a case of not having a lot of better options that can be hired to replace him.

A lot of Dallas' success this season was due to Doncic improvising rather than Carlisle actually having some plays to call. Let's get that straight and out there first. I mean what was his play, have Luka take 30 shots and improvise the rest of the way? That's it?
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,015

Post#12 » by Mr B » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:44 am

I think going through an entire camp healthy could make a big difference in KP’s fit on the team. Remember this will be the first time he’ll be going in to camp healthy. I expect they will work a lot on the P&R and P&P with Luka and KP. Carlisle also needs to design plays for KP while Luka is out resting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Dallas Mavericks