Image ImageImage Image

Way too early NBA draft thread 2021

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

If we manage to get 3rd pick who do you draft?

Evan Mobley
14%
Jalen Suggs
61%
Terrence Clarke
1%
Jonathan Kuminga
6%
Ziaire Williams
1%
Usman Guruba
1%
Jalen Johnson
1%
Terrence Clarke
No votes
BJ Boston
2%
None of the Above
12%

Total votes: 146

CaPiTanAK
Pro Prospect
And1: 435

Re: Way too early NBA draft thread 2021 

Post#1281 » by CaPiTanAK » Mon Jun 7, 2021 8:25 pm

I have a good feeling that we are going to be rewarded for not being a tank team and win a top 3 pick for this draft.
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 557

Post#1282 » by Almost Retired » Tue Jun 8, 2021 1:25 pm

CaPiTanAK wrote:I have a good feeling that we are going to be rewarded for not being a tank team and win a top 3 pick for this draft.

From your keyboard to God's ears. Cade or Suggs would make a tremendous difference to our future prospects.
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#1283 » by Am2626 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:38 pm

Hold That wrote:Coby whites value is probably somewhere between 12-18 pick range.. and if it’s not I’d much rather keep him. At worst he’s a Lou Williams off the bench if he learns to embrace that role full time. Jordan Clarkson,Lou Williams, Jamal Crawford all these guys do is one thing, which is score. None are known for defense so with Cobys ability to score .low ceiling, high floor guy.

Coby White was drafted 7 and his draft trade value is much lower than that so I don’t think it makes sense to trade him straight up for a draft pick unless the guy you can draft is someone you really like and if he slid in the draft for some reason. I’d be fine with including him in a trade to upgrade the roster but Coby White has value as a 6th man.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,616

Post#1284 » by sco » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:18 pm

Am2626 wrote:
Hold That wrote:Coby whites value is probably somewhere between 12-18 pick range.. and if it’s not I’d much rather keep him. At worst he’s a Lou Williams off the bench if he learns to embrace that role full time. Jordan Clarkson,Lou Williams, Jamal Crawford all these guys do is one thing, which is score. None are known for defense so with Cobys ability to score .low ceiling, high floor guy.

Coby White was drafted 7 and his draft trade value is much lower than that so I don’t think it makes sense to trade him straight up for a draft pick unless the guy you can draft is someone you really like and if he slid in the draft for some reason. I’d be fine with including him in a trade to upgrade the roster but Coby White has value as a 6th man.

I somewhat disagree. IMO, the NBA is full of cheap 6th men. Not trading Coby for even a non-lotto 1st, if one were available, seems like a chance to capture diminishing value of a bad pick.
:clap:
Am2626
Analyst

Post#1285 » by Am2626 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:50 am

sco wrote:
Am2626 wrote:

I somewhat disagree. IMO, the NBA is full of cheap 6th men. Not trading Coby for even a non-lotto 1st, if one were available, seems like a chance to capture diminishing value of a bad pick.

I see Coby White as being a 6th man of the year candidate in his prime. Guys like that are very valuable to a championship caliber team so I think he can be a good building block for the Bulls and fills a need. Not against trading him for a draft pick but it can’t just be for another guy.
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 729

Post#1286 » by Hold That » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:59 am

Am2626 wrote:
sco wrote:
Am2626 wrote:

I see Coby White as being a 6th man of the year candidate in his prime. Guys like that are very valuable to a championship caliber team so I think he can be a good building block for the Bulls and fills a need. Not against trading him for a draft pick but it can’t just be for another guy.

Honestly the draft is filled with guys who can fill up the score board in the 12-18 ranges. The only difference is opportunities, and where Coby was selected at 7 generally affords you more opportunities and touches to score than someone selected in the 12-18 range with a shorter leash, and most 6th men are picked in that range or later, only exceptions I can think of is Ben Gordon and Crawford.
sco
RealGM

Post#1287 » by sco » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:41 pm

Hold That wrote:
Am2626 wrote:
sco wrote:I somewhat disagree. IMO, the NBA is full of cheap 6th men. Not trading Coby for even a non-lotto 1st, if one were available, seems like a chance to capture diminishing value of a bad pick.

Honestly the draft is filled with guys who can fill up the score board in the 12-18 ranges. The only difference is opportunities, and where Coby was selected at 7 generally affords you more opportunities and touches to score than someone selected in the 12-18 range with a shorter leash, and most 6th men are picked in that range or later, only exceptions I can think of is Ben Gordon and Crawford.

Most 6th men are guys who were starters, but due to age/incomplete skillsets beyond scoring, were relegated to the 6th man role. The good ones are rarely drafted and slotted in as one.
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#1288 » by rtblues » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:39 am

AK ought to be looking to buy a 2nd round pick(s) in this draft. I realize it is the ultimate Anti-GarPax move, which actually makes it easier for me to embrace since basically everything they did was ass-backwards.

RE: The PG situation: If they're not able to sign a F/A PG, then look for one in the draft. I like Miles McBride, but he seems to moving up and out of range now. The known, quality PGs are all probably going to be gone, Davion Mitchell, Brandon Boston, Shariffe Cooper, Jaden Springer, Nah'Shon Hyland. Leaving guys like, Rokas Jokubaitis (Lithuania), David Johnson (Lousiville), Daishen Nix (USA), David Duke (Providence), Jason Preston (Ohio).

Not sure if there's an easy answer, but the PG position has to be improved. An actual true PG, who will make others better and can run the offense is the key to the team getting better. I'm not wild about aging reclamation projects either since that's just a band-aid on a bullet hole with a guy who doesn't fit the roster's timeline. And for all the Lonzo chatter, to me he's not a true PG, isn't really shifty and doesn't have the wiggle. Straight line driver, but he doesn't actually get to the cup and finish very often either. Better in transition, but that still doesn't solve it.

There's the "Keep Sato another year and draft a PG to develop in that year" strategy. Not great, I know, but, they don't have a lot of options. It might be time to consider the Summer trade market. Someone via trade is more likely to be obtained then landing a F/A. But they will have to give good in order to get good I'd say.
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,431

Post#1289 » by Repeat 3-peat » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:47 am

sco
RealGM

Post#1290 » by sco » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:25 pm

rtblues wrote:AK ought to be looking to buy a 2nd round pick(s) in this draft. I realize it is the ultimate Anti-GarPax move, which actually makes it easier for me to embrace since basically everything they did was ass-backwards.

RE: The PG situation: If they're not able to sign a F/A PG, then look for one in the draft. I like Miles McBride, but he seems to moving up and out of range now. The known, quality PGs are all probably going to be gone, Davion Mitchell, Brandon Boston, Shariffe Cooper, Jaden Springer, Nah'Shon Hyland. Leaving guys like, Rokas Jokubaitis (Lithuania), David Johnson (Lousiville), Daishen Nix (USA), David Duke (Providence), Jason Preston (Ohio).

Not sure if there's an easy answer, but the PG position has to be improved. An actual true PG, who will make others better and can run the offense is the key to the team getting better. I'm not wild about aging reclamation projects either since that's just a band-aid on a bullet hole with a guy who doesn't fit the roster's timeline. And for all the Lonzo chatter, to me he's not a true PG, isn't really shifty and doesn't have the wiggle. Straight line driver, but he doesn't actually get to the cup and finish very often either. Better in transition, but that still doesn't solve it.

There's the "Keep Sato another year and draft a PG to develop in that year" strategy. Not great, I know, but, they don't have a lot of options. It might be time to consider the Summer trade market. Someone via trade is more likely to be obtained then landing a F/A. But they will have to give good in order to get good I'd say.

I'm ok with AK buying picks on guys he loves, but in general, I don't support having more than 1 rook to be developed a year on the main roster (it's hard to find minutes to develop 2 guys if you want to win, IMO). That said, I'm fine using 2-way deals or stashes.
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#1291 » by rtblues » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:25 pm

sco wrote:
rtblues wrote:AK ought to be looking to buy a 2nd round pick(s) in this draft. I realize it is the ultimate Anti-GarPax move, which actually makes it easier for me to embrace since basically everything they did was ass-backwards.

I'm ok with AK buying picks on guys he loves, but in general, I don't support having more than 1 rook to be developed a year on the main roster (it's hard to find minutes to develop 2 guys if you want to win, IMO). That said, I'm fine using 2-way deals or stashes.

The G-League/Windy City Bulls until the player develops or busts.
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 557

Post#1292 » by Almost Retired » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:21 pm

Repeat 3-peat wrote:

Round 2?

He's 2 years away from cracking an NBA rotation. If available I'd much prefer Isaiah Todd. Todd is good enough to be in the rotation as a "3 - 4" in Year 1. And in 2 years after he fills his frame out he's a starting "4". He'd be almost the exact same size as Horace Grant but a better shooter from outside.
Bulldog23
Bench Warmer
And1: 126

Post#1293 » by Bulldog23 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:04 pm

Marcus Bagley from Arizona looks like a solid pick in the 2nd round. He might end up being a 3D guy.
Am2626
Analyst

Post#1294 » by Am2626 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:41 pm

I would be perfectly fine with drafting Cade or Suggs and keeping Sato. If they are not ready to start then start Sato and bring them off the bench. Use FA to sign the best player they can get.
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#1295 » by CoreyVillains » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:19 pm

If anyone is looking for a Draft podcast, I've been doing a show called the Draftdaq where we break down a prospect's game and draft stock in depth. Still doing the video scouting breakdowns as well but the pod has been really fun. 18 episodes in and it's gonna pick up as we get closer to draft night.

Spotify link: https://open.spotify.com/show/0zZrESRdIu2qc5hGhtstFR?si=oFCnaXV7QLCDrxwtMAjuPg&dl_branch=1

Apple link: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-draftdaq-nba-draft-podcast/id1479101969
gobullschi
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#1296 » by gobullschi » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:05 pm

JT Thor would be a nice target in the second round. He can guard multiple positions and has three point range.
xpmar9x
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#1297 » by xpmar9x » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:19 pm

CoreyVillains wrote:If anyone is looking for a Draft podcast, I've been doing a show called the Draftdaq where we break down a prospect's game and draft stock in depth. Still doing the video scouting breakdowns as well but the pod has been really fun. 18 episodes in and it's gonna pick up as we get closer to draft night.

Spotify link: https://open.spotify.com/show/0zZrESRdIu2qc5hGhtstFR?si=oFCnaXV7QLCDrxwtMAjuPg&dl_branch=1

Apple link: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-draftdaq-nba-draft-podcast/id1479101969

Just listened to the G-League & Sharife pod. Good work dude, was a good listen!
Wonderboy5
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#1298 » by Wonderboy5 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:27 am

Am2626 wrote:

I would be perfectly fine with drafting Cade or Suggs and keeping Sato. If they are not ready to start then start Sato and bring them off the bench. Use FA to sign the best player they can get.

If Sato is on this team next year, the offseason was a failure.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#1299 » by johnnyvann840 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:56 am

Wonderboy5 wrote:
Am2626 wrote:

If Sato is on this team next year, the offseason was a failure.

Sato was solid this season for the Bulls. He was efficient with a .610 TS%, shot .514 from the field, .356 from 3 pt and .858 from the FT line, averaged 12.3 pts, 4 rebounds and nearly 8 assists per 36 minutes with only 2.6 TO's. He was a plus positive impact player with solid on/off numbers. That is a quality bench piece on any team. I think the Bulls should keep him around especially at the value contract he is on.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#1300 » by CoreyVillains » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:59 am

xpmar9x wrote:
CoreyVillains wrote:If anyone is looking for a Draft podcast, I've been doing a show called the Draftdaq where we break down a prospect's game and draft stock in depth. Still doing the video scouting breakdowns as well but the pod has been really fun. 18 episodes in and it's gonna pick up as we get closer to draft night.

Just listened to the G-League & Sharife pod. Good work dude, was a good listen!

Thanks for listening!

Return to Chicago Bulls