Pippen Writing Memoir, Tells His Side of Story

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,846

Pippen Writing Memoir, Tells His Side of Story 

Post#1 » by The Explorer » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:54 pm

Read on Twitter

scottiepippen
Verified
Ready to hear my side of the story? UNGUARDED. I'm giving you a behind-the-scenes look at growing up in Arkansas, college days at UCA, getting drafted, takes on my teammates and coaches, the locker room, and the rings. Stories I've kept to myself for years. On sale 11.16.21. AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER NOW.

Basically, he was so upset with the Last Dance that he decided to write a book refuting some of the narratives that come out of it.

“Pippen details how he cringed at being labelled Jordan’s sidekick, and discusses how he could have (and should have) received more respect from the Bulls’ management and the media,” the “UNGUARDED” description reads.

“He discusses what it was like dealing with Jordan on a day-to-day basis, while serving as the real leader within the Bulls locker room.”

“I don’t think it[The Last Dance] was that accurate in terms of really defining what was accomplished in one of the greatest eras of basketball, but also by two of the greatest players – and one could even put that aside and say the greatest team of all time,” Pippen told The Guardian in December 2020.

“I didn’t think those things stood out in the documentary. I thought it was more about Michael trying to uplift himself and to be glorified. I think it also backfired to some degree in that people got a chance to see what kind of personality Michael had,” he explained.

Pippen, in the same interview, said he confronted Jordan over his feelings about the documentary.

“I told him I wasn’t too pleased with it. He accepted it. He said, ‘Hey, you’re right.’ That was pretty much it,” Pippen recalled.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,260

Re: Pippen Writing Memoir, Tells His Side of Story 

Post#2 » by iLLmatic860 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:24 pm

Wish it was a documentary but I’m sure all the controversial stuff Will be all I need
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,419

Post#3 » by Eyeamok » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:39 pm

Shoot I can barely remember what I had for dinner 2 nights ago and now Scottie is going to write a book about "his" POV of the Bulls in the 1990's !
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,653

Post#4 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:41 pm

If you want to cringe at being called Jordan's sidekick, maybe "Unguarded" isn't the best title.
RoxSteady
Sixth Man
And1: 5,243

Post#5 » by RoxSteady » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:52 pm

The Art Garfunkel of sports. No thanks.
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,193

Post#6 » by Frank Dux » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:56 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:If you want to cringe at being called Jordan's sidekick, maybe "Unguarded" isn't the best title.

:lol:
Childs
RealGM
And1: 26,199

Post#7 » by Childs » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:58 pm

I want to read Luc Longley upcoming memoir "Undefeated and Invincible".
FreeThrowLine
Veteran
And1: 4,274

Post#8 » by FreeThrowLine » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:01 pm

I loved Pippen the basketball player, but he’s shown over the years that he’s holding on to so much jealousy that he can’t move past.

He’s within his rights to give his side but there are some things which don’t require further explanation that showed how mentally weak Pippen could be in certain situations.

I’m not saying he needs to kiss the ground Jordan walks on, but there’s no doubt in my mind that Scottie starting his career anywhere else doesn’t have the success, fame or reputation that he ended up with
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,827

Post#9 » by Karate Diop » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:17 pm

My man Pipp spitting facts. The Chi-Town Bulls wouldn't have won 6 without him, MJ or no MJ.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,827

Post#10 » by Karate Diop » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:18 pm

FreeThrowLine wrote:I loved Pippen the basketball player, but he’s shown over the years that he’s holding on to so much jealousy that he can’t move past.

He’s within his rights to give his side but there are some things which don’t require further explanation that showed how mentally weak Pippen could be in certain situations.

I’m not saying he needs to kiss the ground Jordan walks on, but there’s no doubt in my mind that Scottie starting his career anywhere else doesn’t have the success, fame or reputation that he ended up with

You're right, but the same goes for Jordan and Jackson... They all needed one another to get that shiny stuff.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,475

Post#11 » by Harry Garris » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:20 pm

A lot of people will call this whining or whatever but I don't really blame Pippen for feeling the way that he felt. No other sports figure in the US at least has had a fanatical, cult-like fanbase to the level of Michael Jordan. Pippen has had to deal with being overlooked, undervalued, and blamed for shortcomings more than any other star player has.

It's similar to what Lebron's teammates have had to deal with when they're given no credit for winning and all the blame for losses... But Pippen had to deal with that for his entire career and not just a couple of seasons.
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#12 » by Pythagoras » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:28 pm

FreeThrowLine wrote:I loved Pippen the basketball player, but he’s shown over the years that he’s holding on to so much jealousy that he can’t move past.

I kind of agree with this. Scottie was fantastic and he deserves his props for his contributions to those teams, but Jordan was clearly the engine making them go. Being called a “sidekick” to one of the 3 or 4 most dominant basketball players to ever play is not exactly an insult.
Numbers rule the universe.
hauntedcomputer
Veteran
And1: 3,733

Post#13 » by hauntedcomputer » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:30 pm

So the guy's marketing his book about how he's not riding Jordan's jock by talking about Jordan.
+++
Schadenfreude is undefeated.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#14 » by FinnTheHuman » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:30 pm

I hate how insecure Pippen is, but I also hate how much of an egomaniac MJ is. 'The Last Dance' looked like some political campaign type bull****, I felt like I was being gaslighted by it. So I don't mind the Bulls guys coming out and correcting the misrepresentations about the off-court stuff depicted in 'The last dance', no matter what their personal agenda is. Nobody's ever changing the perception of what happened on-court tho, we all know who MJ was as a basketball player. So hopefully this book is more about the off-court stuff.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,616

Post#15 » by UcanUwill » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:30 pm

Unguarded is pretty bad title, it is like he is dissing himself
ArtMorte
Sixth Man
And1: 2,102

Post#16 » by ArtMorte » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:31 pm

I hope for Pippen's sake that the book keeps disputes with Jordan's side of the story / The Last Dance to a minimum, because in the wider public's eyes he can only lose a tit-for-tat with MJ.
Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,283

Post#17 » by Lunartic » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:33 pm

But he was Jordan's sidekick, that's exactly what he was known for.

He's the epitome of a sidekick, the perfect #2 man.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,210

Post#18 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:35 pm

Harry Garris wrote:A lot of people will call this whining or whatever but I don't really blame Pippen for feeling the way that he felt. No other sports figure in the US at least has had a fanatical, cult-like fanbase to the level of Michael Jordan. Pippen has had to deal with being overlooked, undervalued, and blamed for shortcomings more than any other star player has.

It's similar to what Lebron's teammates have had to deal with when they're given no credit for winning and all the blame for losses... But Pippen had to deal with that for his entire career and not just a couple of seasons.

To be honest, I was fervent Pippen supporter and was meh on MJ growing up. It was an odd stance that i took growing up in Chicago. So I would dog MJ and point out his flaws (oddly though I had personal experiences with him and he was a great guy). I fully supported Pippen but damn Pip you just constantly shoot yourself in the foot. He was always jealous that MJ got the press but I mean Mike was better. MJ doesn't have 6 rings without Pippen there is no doubt about that, no one will dispute that but Pippen was a #2, it wasn't a 1A and 1B thing. Why is it shocking that the most influential athlete from your sport of all time is getting press?

As for recent Pippen, after Jerry Reinsdorf (albeit he is an evil man) bailed him out of financial issues 2 times (maybe 3) you still and mouth him. While working as an ambassador for the Bulls you go on national TV and dog them... Then try to spin it that they are wrong in the situation. I mean Jerry is an easy target and anyone else bashing him I am behind but with Pip... c'mon man he employed you 2 times he didn't have to... he took care of you even after you drug his name through the mud and influenced the NBA to hate the man (which is deserved just not from Pippen)

This book should be fun though. I 100% get it though MJ is a prick everyone knows it, Pippen and Grant hated how they were portrayed, but no one is really going to care. I'm guessing this is a fund raiser because Larsa needs alimony and or Pippen had another "bad" investment. Pip I will always love you but ungrateful definitely applies.
FreeThrowLine
Veteran
And1: 4,274

Post#19 » by FreeThrowLine » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:37 pm

Karate Diop wrote:

You're right, but the same goes for Jordan and Jackson... They all needed one another to get that shiny stuff.

They all had key/vital roles in each ring, no question. I just have an easier time believing that without Pippen we still have Jordan in the discussion of all time greatest, of course it would depend on whom the organisation looked to team him up with.

I don’t believe we see Pippen in the same light had he ended up on any other team.

That’s not a knock on Pippen, I just don’t get what he wants. Yes, when people discuss those teams and their success, the first and most brought up name is Jordan, but it’s not like Pippen is just an after thought.

He’s received recognition from the organisation with a statue (even though it looks like it was done by a child)

He made several Allstar teams, was on the Olympic team and named to the 50 greatest list in 96.

It seems he can’t handle any criticism and was upset by the highlighting of certain regrettable moments that many wouldn’t have known about during the Bulls run. It’s part of the story and no one is perfect. He shouldn’t let it get to him so much.

Having said all that, the first thing that came to mind in all honesty is that Pippen is trying to cash in on the success of the Last Dance documentary and figured now would be a good time to make some money
The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,846

Post#20 » by The Explorer » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:37 pm

Lunartic wrote:But he was Jordan's sidekick, that's exactly what he was known for.

He's the epitome of a sidekick, the perfect #2 man.

I think Pippen's point would be by labeling him a sidekick, it undermines what he actually did for those teams. In the post he calls himself the real leader of the team. In other interviews he has said Jordan was not responsible for many things on the court outside of scoring. It was Pippen who was tasked with guarding the best opposing player, playmaking, leadership etc. So I think in his mind he was not a sidekick, he was 1b right next to MJ.

Return to The General Board