ImageImageImageImage

Coaching Search: 7/8 Update - Magic to hire Jamahl Mosley per Woj

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,236

Coaching Search: 7/8 Update - Magic to hire Jamahl Mosley per Woj 

Post#1 » by Blue_and_Whte » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:10 pm

I’m not going to go into a deep dive of every candidate. Just wanted to get the conversation going in its own Thread.

David Vanterpool - widely respected around the league. He interviewed with the Magic twice. Lillard and McCoullum both credited him for their development. Known as a development coach.

Terry Stotts- IMO Clifford but on offense. His ability to make in game roster changes is a knock on him, but a good coach.

Pat Delaney - admittedly I don’t know much about him other than he’s Cliffs assistant. Would provide continuity but I think we need a proper overhaul at this point.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
BDill012
Senior
And1: 273

Re: Coaching search 

Post#2 » by BDill012 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:21 pm

I like what I have read about Vanterpool.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#3 » by Nyce_1 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:25 pm

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#4 » by drsd » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:34 pm

For perspective in the search time, Frank Vogel was fired around April 12, 2018 and Steve Clifford was hired around May 30, 2018. So a six week search and negotiation time.
drsd
RealGM

Post#5 » by drsd » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:37 pm

Interesting:

ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski asked Erik Spoelstra and Doc Rivers to name an opposing head coach for whom it was particularly tough to prepare. Both coaches cited Dave Joerger for his creativity and game management. There are competing books on Joerger, who spent three seasons each in Memphis and Sacramento. Either he's a strong tactician with some jagged edges, or he's a basketball savant who was unceremoniously fired by two notoriously dysfunctional front offices. Several executives and veteran head coaches say they're curious to see how Joerger could perform in a more stable situation.
drsd
RealGM

Post#6 » by drsd » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:40 pm

When Becky Hammon gets a head coaching job, it will be a Orlando-type market that employs her.
GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,403

Post#7 » by GelbeWand09 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:44 pm

I hope we don't choose the next Jacque Vaughn again instead of the next Quin Snyder & Mike Malone. :lol:
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#8 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:41 am

drsd wrote:

Interesting:

ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski asked Erik Spoelstra and Doc Rivers to name an opposing head coach for whom it was particularly tough to prepare. Both coaches cited Dave Joerger for his creativity and game management. There are competing books on Joerger, who spent three seasons each in Memphis and Sacramento. Either he's a strong tactician with some jagged edges, or he's a basketball savant who was unceremoniously fired by two notoriously dysfunctional front offices. Several executives and veteran head coaches say they're curious to see how Joerger could perform in a more stable situation.

I totally forgot about Joerger. That is an interesting take on his coaching style and strength that we haven't seen in any of our recent coaching hires.
I just keep finding positive things about vanterpool as a coach and a mentor to young players. He'll lay the foundation for a strong defense obviously so the guy can coach which is first and foremost the most important thing but if he can be a guy the players can gravitate to and grow their game that would be huge especially for someone like Bamba.
#2A
#Adopt
drsd
RealGM

Post#9 » by drsd » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:47 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:I just keep finding positive things about vanterpool as a coach and a mentor to young players.

Vanterpool's name was rumoured in 2018 as well.

OPP link from 2018: Magic to interview David Vanterpool

KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,971

Post#10 » by KillMonger » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:49 am

Vanterpool
Ime Udoka
Brian Shaw
Adrian Griffin
Becky Hammond
Jerry Stackhouse
Kenny Ackitson

Honestly we should end up with someone we should like because i like a lot of these names
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#11 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:09 pm

drsd wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:I just keep finding positive things about vanterpool as a coach and a mentor to young players.

yeah he interviewed twice with Orlando I think
#2A
#Adopt
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,791

Post#12 » by RookieStar » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:20 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
drsd wrote:

yeah he interviewed twice with Orlando I think

Third time's the charm?
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#13 » by Nyce_1 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:31 am

give me Atkinson, Vanterpool, or Delaney and i'm straight.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Post#14 » by pepe1991 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:20 am

Sources: Michigan’s Juwan Howard continues to tell NBA teams he's not interested in even a discussion on leaving Ann Arbor. Teams are also calling to gather intel on Memphis coach Penny Hardaway's work. He's going to get offers to interview for openings in this NBA job cycle.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
ARandomStranger
Sophomore
And1: 141

Post#15 » by ARandomStranger » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:06 pm

I know I might be in the minority here, but if we are going to get a former player to come coach us I would rather have a guy who has some coaching experience at least an assistant level in the NBA. Armstrong would be a good pick, he has been an assistant coach under Carlisle, who isn't a bad coach, and I wouldn't mind bringing him in.

Then again, I'm all for bringing in any coach that can develop, and help us sift through the roster to find who fits and who doesn't. Either way, we can't just bring in some green guy off the side of the road, those barely pan out, and those that do usually get locked down as long term coaches for the teams that find them. If people are thinking they are going to find a Nurse type coach who is willing to come her, please...we are the worse of the two sunshine state teams and if we land Cade that might just be our only drawing piece. Everyone on this roster is raw or needs some of aspect of their game tweaked. That is not to say the job isn't attractive, but that is all dependent on the draft lottery.

If by some voodoo black magic we get 1 and 5, then this job will be impossible to decline. You would basically be able to have a center piece and a corner stone that you could develop whichever way you want. But I digress, too many variable in this coaching search, and I have no clue who will land the job. The only thing I can say is we need a younger and hungry coach who is willing to motivate and teach. That is all I can really think of.
drsd
RealGM

Post#16 » by drsd » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:14 pm

ARandomStranger wrote: If by some voodoo black magic we get 1 and 5, .....

It actually would take an act of God, as it is mathematically impossible for Orlando to have the 1 and the 5.
(Orlando's pick could go 5, but if Chicago's does, it does not convey; ir Orlando's pick goes #1, the highest the Bulls pick can be is #8).
TDJacksonville
Assistant Coach
And1: 242

Post#17 » by TDJacksonville » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:23 am

All in on Becky cuz she's a good coach and as a former professional player has relatability.
I would laugh if we hired Tim Duncan
Trailblazers
PG:
SG:
F:
F:
C:
Wzajan89 @ gmail . com
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,100

Post#18 » by tiderulz » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:50 am

ARandomStranger wrote:I know I might be in the minority here, but if we are going to get a former player to come coach us I would rather have a guy who has some coaching experience at least an assistant level in the NBA. Armstrong would be a good pick, he has been an assistant coach under Carlisle, who isn't a bad coach, and I wouldn't mind bringing him in.

Then again, I'm all for bringing in any coach that can develop, and help us sift through the roster to find who fits and who doesn't. Either way, we can't just bring in some green guy off the side of the road, those barely pan out, and those that do usually get locked down as long term coaches for the teams that find them. If people are thinking they are going to find a Nurse type coach who is willing to come her, please...we are the worse of the two sunshine state teams and if we land Cade that might just be our only drawing piece. Everyone on this roster is raw or needs some of aspect of their game tweaked. That is not to say the job isn't attractive, but that is all dependent on the draft lottery.

If by some voodoo black magic we get 1 and 5, then this job will be impossible to decline. You would basically be able to have a center piece and a corner stone that you could develop whichever way you want. But I digress, too many variable in this coaching search, and I have no clue who will land the job. The only thing I can say is we need a younger and hungry coach who is willing to motivate and teach. That is all I can really think of.

we cant get these. Best we can do is #1 and #8.
Anti Chalmers
Analyst
And1: 2,858

Post#19 » by Anti Chalmers » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:49 am

I’ll be fine with Hammon. Pop seems to speak highly of her. Rookie HC with a rebuilding young team to grow with. Just hope we don’t hire another Jacque Vaughn.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,791

Post#20 » by RookieStar » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:52 am

Anti Chalmers wrote:I’ll be fine with Hammon. Pop seems to speak highly of her. Rookie HC with a rebuilding young team to grow with. Just hope we don’t hire another Jacque Vaughn.

Wait.. I just realized something. JV and Hammon both came from Pop's coaching tree right?

Return to Orlando Magic