ImageImageImageImageImage

WISEMAN EXPECTATIONS: Year 1

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Re: WISEMAN EXPECTATIONS: Year 1 

Post#1721 » by and1GS » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:51 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:The funny thing for me is that the issue was, in some part, the expectations unrealistic fans had that Wiseman would somehow be the INCREDIBLY rare teenage big who contributes as a rookie to a winning team.

If that wasn't a possibility why draft him in the first place?

Why draft Giannis in the first place if he isn't a superstar in year one?
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#1722 » by EvanZ » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:01 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:The funny thing for me is that the issue was, in some part, the expectations unrealistic fans had that Wiseman would somehow be the INCREDIBLY rare teenage big who contributes as a rookie to a winning team.

LMAO exactly

We were told Wiseman was the better fit than Melo. Not only did he turn out to be a much much worse fit, he's not even ready to play.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#1723 » by WarriorGM » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:01 pm

and1GS wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

The Bucks didn't have an all-time great in win now mode with a closing window at the time.

I do not fault picking Wiseman if it was thought there was a reasonable chance he could contribute in the first year. But if it was expected that he wouldn't then that is clearly a mistake that the front office should be excoriated for. If they thought someone like Haliburton was in a better position to contribute immediately and they didn't choose him because Wiseman would be better in the future, the entire front office needs to be replaced.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#1724 » by EvanZ » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:19 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
and1GS wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

The Bucks didn't have an all-time great in win now mode with a closing window at the time.

I do not fault picking Wiseman if it was thought there was a reasonable chance he could contribute in the first year. But if it was expected that he wouldn't then that is clearly a mistake that the front office should be excoriated for. If they thought someone like Haliburton was in a better position to contribute immediately and they didn't choose him because Wiseman would be better in the future, the entire front office needs to be replaced.

Even in that case you trade down and take Haliburton and pick up another asset. Easy peasy.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,838

Post#1725 » by whatisacenter » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:34 pm

EvanZ wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:
and1GS wrote:

Even in that case you trade down and take Haliburton and pick up another asset. Easy peasy.

the Warriors and the Wolves were on the record saying that they were open for business at the top of the draft and there were no takers so maybe not so easy peasy.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#1726 » by ILOVEIT » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:43 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
and1GS wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

I don't regret the Warriors not drafting Ball. He represents the wrong attitude towards championship hoops.

Wiseman will be great in a few years...I have little doubt about that.

For me it's all about the time it takes for him to develop.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#1727 » by Old_Blue » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:47 pm

We live in an era of rampant self-delusion. Before he was drafted, it was comical to read the justifications for drafting Wiseman. He's really tall! His hands are enormous! He's really smart - he even speaks Mandarin! That was all just so much schlock. What mattered more than anything else was that the kid had a college career that lasted three games. He's raw. He's immature. And, worst of all, his decision making leaves a great deal to be desired. As such, anyone who thought Wiseman was going to contribute immediately was drunk on Kool-Aid. That's in the past though. Going forward, what we're looking at is a long-term project that may or may not pan out. Expectations for 2022 should be set low so as to avoid further disappointment.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#1728 » by shazam_guy » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:54 pm

Who thought Wiseman was going to contribute in a big way immediately? Seriously, just find me the people who said that and I'll join you in scoffing at them (now with added hindsight!) But I don't remember that being part of the discussion at all. It was always about drafting him for long-term upside versus drafting someone else with more immediate value, which usually involved trading down. But as someone else very usefully pointed out, nobody seemed to want the Warriors (or Minnesota's, or Charlotte's) draft choice.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#1729 » by EvanZ » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:03 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:
and1GS wrote:

I don't regret the Warriors not drafting Ball. He represents the wrong attitude towards championship hoops.

LMAO :lol:
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#1730 » by EvanZ » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:04 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:Wiseman will be great in a few years...I have little doubt about that.

THERE IS NO TIME
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#1731 » by xdrta+ » Wed Jun 9, 2021 10:00 pm

EvanZ wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:Wiseman will be great in a few years...I have little doubt about that.

THERE IS NO TIME

So many in panic mode.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#1732 » by EvanZ » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:24 am

xdrta+ wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

THERE IS NO TIME

So many in panic mode.

Dude, wtf. This *is* exactly the time to panic. :lol:

How many years do you think Steph has in him like last year? My god people, wisen up. Wiseman out.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,371

Post#1733 » by GSWFan1994 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:41 am

Old_Blue wrote:We live in an era of rampant self-delusion. Before he was drafted, it was comical to read the justifications for drafting Wiseman. He's really tall! His hands are enormous! He's really smart - he even speaks Mandarin! That was all just so much schlock. What mattered more than anything else was that the kid had a college career that lasted three games. He's raw. He's immature. And, worst of all, his decision making leaves a great deal to be desired. As such, anyone who thought Wiseman was going to contribute immediately was drunk on Kool-Aid. That's in the past though. Going forward, what we're looking at is a long-term project that may or may not pan out. Expectations for 2022 should be set low so as to avoid further disappointment.

Nice try, OB!

You've been really stepping your game up lately!
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,371

Post#1734 » by GSWFan1994 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:42 am

EvanZ wrote:

THERE IS NO TIME

Is there a 3rd person tweet by yourself who certifies this affirmation?
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#1735 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:10 am

WarriorGM wrote:

Because Warriors ownership, coaching, and the front office have all said they want the team to be good beyond this core groups time and they felt Wiseman was the best value for the long term.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#1736 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:15 am

shazam_guy wrote:Who thought Wiseman was going to contribute in a big way immediately? Seriously, just find me the people who said that and I'll join you in scoffing at them (now with added hindsight!) But I don't remember that being part of the discussion at all. It was always about drafting him for long-term upside versus drafting someone else with more immediate value, which usually involved trading down. But as someone else very usefully pointed out, nobody seemed to want the Warriors (or Minnesota's, or Charlotte's) draft choice.

Someone must be able to point to the long line of teenage bigs who were dominant as rookies. I mean, since everyone was SURE Wiseman was going to do it it MUST be common.

Myers and Kerr both said straight up that it was going to take him time to develop.

It was clear the Warriors were aiming to not be in the top 10 teams to keep their pick.

Had there been no Covid and had he been healthy the naysayers would still hate him even with much better numbers if the Warriors didn't make the playoffs.

The Warriors are not in win now mode. The delusional ones are the people thinking they are.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,252

Post#1737 » by Onus » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:49 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
shazam_guy wrote:Who thought Wiseman was going to contribute in a big way immediately? Seriously, just find me the people who said that and I'll join you in scoffing at them (now with added hindsight!) But I don't remember that being part of the discussion at all. It was always about drafting him for long-term upside versus drafting someone else with more immediate value, which usually involved trading down. But as someone else very usefully pointed out, nobody seemed to want the Warriors (or Minnesota's, or Charlotte's) draft choice.

Someone must be able to point to the long line of teenage bigs who were dominant as rookies. I mean, since everyone was SURE Wiseman was going to do it it MUST be common.

Myers and Kerr both said straight up that it was going to take him time to develop.

It was clear the Warriors were aiming to not be in the top 10 teams to keep their pick.

Had there been no Covid and had he been healthy the naysayers would still hate him even with much better numbers if the Warriors didn't make the playoffs.

The Warriors are not in win now mode. The delusional ones are the people thinking they are.

If we're not in win now mode with the highest ever payroll in league history, WTF are we doing?
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#1738 » by EvanZ » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:57 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:

I mean...you are just trolling at this point buddy. :lol:
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 426

Post#1739 » by superunknown » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:57 pm

Onus wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

If we're not in win now mode with the highest ever payroll in league history, WTF are we doing?

that's a very good question.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#1740 » by FNQ » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:49 pm

superunknown wrote:
Onus wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

that's a very good question.

Its flat out not true. Trying to imply it is revisionist history, pretending that the FO knew exactly what Wiseman was and knowing it would take years for him to become a positive player. Meanwhile Kerr even said he wasnt as far along as they thought.

And you don't pay close to 70M in cash for one season of Kelly Oubre when you are playing both sides.

This is one person trying to pretend that their initial take of "you can win now and later" as legitimate, but its not. Or, if by some wacky reason they are correct, than Joey Lightyears/Bob Myers has created a vacuum of utter ignorance/conceit in thinking they can just run the NBA going forward. Whoops.

Either way the concept is barely worth the bytes it takes to type it out.

Return to Golden State Warriors