ImageImageImageImageImage

Chauncey

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 978

Chauncey 

Post#1 » by clipperlover » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:00 pm

In all of the talk about the post season, I believe we are overlooking the Head Coaching interest Chauncey is drawing from multiple teams. I don't want to see him go and hope that he can take over for Ty Lue at some point. I hope Ballmer pays him to get him off the market.

At some point, Ballmer could dump Frank and offer Lue a front office job.

I would hate to see the guy leave before we can see what he can do.

If the Nuggets get bounced and they make the knee jerk reaction to fire Mike Malone, then I would bet that Denver hires Chauncey.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Re: Chauncey 

Post#2 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:08 pm

Promoting a coach to the front office didn't work with Dunleavy or Doc and hasn't worked with Frank. Why would Lue be any better? We need an experienced executive like Masai.
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#3 » by clipperlover » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:05 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:Promoting a coach to the front office didn't work with Dunleavy or Doc and hasn't worked with Frank. Why would Lue be any better? We need an experienced executive like Masai.

Ballmer isn't likey to fire Lue, so you would have to promote him if you really want Chauncey as the coach for the future.
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 893

Post#4 » by NickP » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:17 pm

All this talk is a bit premature. The season is still on and Lue is trying to win a chip. Let's wait to see how far Lue takes us this year.
I'm certain he has the team better prepared for the next game. As far as Chauncey goes, he's not waiting for Ballmer to do anything. Head coaching jobs are highly sought after and Chauncey will jump at that opportunity. I don't think money can sway him to stay in his current position.
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#5 » by clipperlover » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:11 pm

NickP wrote:All this talk is a bit premature. The season is still on and Lue is trying to win a chip. Let's wait to see how far Lue takes us this year.
I'm certain he has the team better prepared for the next game. As far as Chauncey goes, he's not waiting for Ballmer to do anything. Head coaching jobs are highly sought after and Chauncey will jump at that opportunity. I don't think money can sway him to stay in his current position.

Spurs did it for several years with Bud, but then Pop never went away. Bud was supposed to be the heir apparent.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,063

Post#6 » by og15 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:17 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:Promoting a coach to the front office didn't work with Dunleavy or Doc and hasn't worked with Frank. Why would Lue be any better? We need an experienced executive like Masai.

I'd differ between promoting to front office and giving a coach dual roles. That said, I don't see why Lue would be put into the front office, seems random.
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#7 » by clipperlover » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:39 pm

Hate to see Chauncey go. Wonder if he will even be on the bench tonight.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,692

Post#8 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:13 pm

clipperlover wrote:Hate to see Chauncey go. Wonder if he will even be on the bench tonight.

I can't really see why not, until our season is over. Assistant coaches are expected to be looking for head coaching jobs. I don't think this would create the bad blood that happens when say college football coaches switches to a different school before a bowl game, and the coach doesn't coach that last game.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#9 » by TheNewEra » Thu Jul 1, 2021 6:13 pm

Rondo should take over for Billups
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 893

Post#10 » by NickP » Thu Jul 1, 2021 9:00 pm

TheNewEra wrote:Rondo should take over for Billups

A great suggestion except I don't think Rondo has the temperament for this job. I may be wrong but that's how I feel.
Akklaim1
Rookie
And1: 821

Post#11 » by Akklaim1 » Mon Jul 5, 2021 4:41 am

Hasn’t worked with Frank? He doesn’t get any sort of credit for Kawhi? Or drafting guys like SGA and Mann? Or promoting Lue to the HC position?
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#12 » by esqtvd » Mon Jul 5, 2021 10:57 pm

Akklaim1 wrote:
Promoting a coach to the front office didn't work with Dunleavy or Doc and hasn't worked with Frank. Why would Lue be any better? We need an experienced executive like Masai.

Hasn’t worked with Frank? He doesn’t get any sort of credit for Kawhi? Or drafting guys like SGA and Mann? Or promoting Lue to the HC position?

Doc had more to do with Kawhi coming here and Kawhi had more to do with Batum and Ibaka coming, so I give Frank no grade for any of that. Kawhi had a gun to the org's head to get PG and we paid top dollar: no grade on that either. It was what it was. And promoting Ty was the path of least disruption--with the shortened offseason, a brand new coach and system would have been suicidal. Same ship, same crew, different captain--the safe bet.

A++ for trading UP to make sure we got SGA in 2018. Then two picks later, a charitable D for Jerome Robinson. In 2019, an A for hitting longshot Terance Mann in the 2nd round at #48--but in that same draft an F-minus for trading a 2020 FRP [which turned out to be #19] for the utterly useless Fi Kabengele at #27. A wasted pick, and the promising Saddiq Bey was taken with that #19.

A C-minus trading Lou for Rondo. It was a worth a shot but we're also stuck with Rondo for another year.

An A for acquiring Zubac for an undisclosed amount of trash. An Incomplete for the Kennard-Shamet trade, although Kennard's 3 yr/$40M extension [4th year is a team option] does not look good at the moment. Marcus Morris only cost Harkless and a couple of monkey picks [a late first and DET's 2nd rounder] and we had little choice but to re-sign him, but IMO his remaining 3 yrs/$48M is a bit of an albatross.

Generously, I give Frank a C.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,692

Post#13 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:10 am

All I really have to say about this topic is

1.) I'm happy with Ty and am not looking past our current coach, and
2) Man I wish we had drafted Saddiq Bey. :lol: :upset:

Return to Los Angeles Clippers