ImageImageImage

Who will coach the Celtics in 2021-22?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Re: Who will coach the Celtics in 2021-22? 

Post#301 » by cloverleaf » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:57 am

So why isn't Sam Cassell on this list?

https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/6/9/22527066/report-brad-stevens-has-begun-the-search-for-his-replacement-as-boston-celtics-coach

(I have previously posted that I didn't think Brad would want someone with links to the 2008 Celtics championship team, and Doc doesn't seem to be the kind of coach not to allow his assistant speak with another team about such an opportunity to move up.)
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#302 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:06 am

djFan71 wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote: Reminds me of Ray Allen having a lawyer represent him for a flat fee rather than a fat commission coming out if UConn. He thought why pay all those commissions for relatively slam dunk negotiations.

Jaylen Brown does the same thing.

I thought he did, but then got someone for the extension.

Yes, he hired Jason Glushon
FeedReed
Starter
And1: 839

Post#303 » by FeedReed » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:10 am

i believe in billups. he seems like the type of guy who would command respect from everyone.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#304 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:12 am

Still a massive fan of Darvin Ham. Bud’s tree has produced some good coaches— Atkinson and Jenkins notably— and I think Ham could really help spur us forward.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,788

Post#305 » by 31to6 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:13 am

seems like a broad net, which is fine.
I’m glad to not have heard “Mike Brown” anywhere yet!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,642

Post#306 » by GoCeltics123 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:37 am

cloverleaf wrote:So why isn't Sam Cassell on this list?

https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/6/9/22527066/report-brad-stevens-has-begun-the-search-for-his-replacement-as-boston-celtics-coach

(I have previously posted that I didn't think Brad would want someone with links to the 2008 Celtics championship team, and Doc doesn't seem to be the kind of coach not to allow his assistant speak with another team about such an opportunity to move up.)

Woj said the interview list is longer than what he initially reported in the story
gocelts
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,898

Post#307 » by gocelts » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:49 am

Oh no.....this was something I was concerned about....we legit don’t know who’s going to coach the team. This means that Danny and Ownership definitely had a falling out. The problem is Wyc don’t no jack about basketball. Brad is bailing them out but he doesn’t know how or who yet....

I figured the assistant coach interviews were for show and there’s a wink wink deal somewhere out there from back in April..

I said it before...we’re so freaking spoiled having Danny for so long...Doc leaves...no problem..Boom out of the air the best college basketball coach at the time Stevens signs and NO ONE saw it coming.

It’s a little different this time. Now we are just one of the “ordinary” 25 teams in the league now.
~gocelts
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,603

Post#308 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:15 am

We were an ordinary team then. In fact, we were a lousy team that had just lost Ray Allen and traded away Garnett and Pierce.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,006

Post#309 » by Hal14 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:31 am

why wouldn't Brad want someone with ties to the 2008 championship team.

Wouldn't it be the opposite? Familiarity with the organization - and part of a championship team, the last celtics team to win a title. And ya know, this coach we hire, their goal is to get us back to winning a title. So wouldn't it be a good thing if the new hire has ties to the 2008 team?
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,006

Post#310 » by Hal14 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:33 am

FeedReed wrote:i believe in billups. he seems like the type of guy who would command respect from everyone.

Yeah, he does seem like he's got a smooth, confident demeanor.

And Cassell has that goofy clown-like smile and alien looking face so perhaps he won't command the same type of respect.

But I'm sure there's other more important factors that will go into this decision.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#311 » by themoneyteam2 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:09 am

gocelts wrote:Oh no.....this was something I was concerned about....we legit don’t know who’s going to coach the team. This means that Danny and Ownership definitely had a falling out. The problem is Wyc don’t no jack about basketball. Brad is bailing them out but he doesn’t know how or who yet....

I figured the assistant coach interviews were for show and there’s a wink wink deal somewhere out there from back in April..

I said it before...we’re so freaking spoiled having Danny for so long...Doc leaves...no problem..Boom out of the air the best college basketball coach at the time Stevens signs and NO ONE saw it coming.

It’s a little different this time. Now we are just one of the “ordinary” 25 teams in the league now.

Wait you already expected them to have hired a head coach, despite many of the top candidates still being in the playoffs with their current teams? They’ll interview many different coaches and then narrow it down from there. Everything will be ok lol
gocelts
Assistant Coach

Post#312 » by gocelts » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:15 am

Curmudgeon wrote:We were an ordinary team then. In fact, we were a lousy team that had just lost Ray Allen and traded away Garnett and Pierce.

The poor record was by design in order to rebuild.
Come on....Ainge didn’t do a good job keeping us relevant? He ultimately very shorty constructed a stacked team that grossly underachieved. At least he got the pieces together.

We’ll see what the new genius does.
~gocelts
gocelts
Assistant Coach

Post#313 » by gocelts » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:26 am

themoneyteam2 wrote:
gocelts wrote:Oh no.....this was something I was concerned about....we legit don’t know who’s going to coach the team. This means that Danny and Ownership definitely had a falling out. The problem is Wyc don’t no jack about basketball. Brad is bailing them out but he doesn’t know how or who yet....

Wait you already expected them to have hired a head coach, despite many of the top candidates still being in the playoffs with their current teams? They’ll interview many different coaches and then narrow it down from there. Everything will be ok lol

I actually did. I thought they would interview the assistants as a professional courtesy and then bring in either Cassell or Billups and be done with it. Maybe Billups is the guy.

I know that they “can’t talk” but we all know that they do. If you knew this was the scenario back in March, it just seems we’re dragging along...and if Brad is interested in like 8 guys....damn thats a lot of analyzing.

Look I’m not saying we’re going to get the worst coach ever and the next season is doomed....it’s just a big mess. No cap space, a mid round pick, you need a find a taker for Kemba, oh and we have no coach, lastly we have a brand new GM with not that much overall NBA experience to maneuver this.
~gocelts
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#314 » by cloverleaf » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:52 pm

Hal14 wrote:

why wouldn't Brad want someone with ties to the 2008 championship team.

Wouldn't it be the opposite? Familiarity with the organization - and part of a championship team, the last celtics team to win a title. And ya know, this coach we hire, their goal is to get us back to winning a title. So wouldn't it be a good thing if the new hire has ties to the 2008 team?

I would think so, and I see KG just had some positive words on the C's. But Perk, KG, Rondo, etc., potentially having their nose in there? Stevens so far has hired the less notable and knowledgeable, not the more so.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#315 » by cloverleaf » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:53 pm

I find it interesting that Kara hasn't absolutely taken her name out of consideration here:

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/kara-lawson-responds-celtics-head-coaching-candidacy-rumors
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#316 » by cloverleaf » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:16 pm

Hal14 wrote:
FeedReed wrote:i believe in billups. he seems like the type of guy who would command respect from everyone.

And Cassell has that goofy clown-like smile and alien looking face so perhaps he won't command the same type of respect.

But I'm sure there's other more important factors that will go into this decision.

Really, you don't want Cassell because of his smile?!?!?
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,603

Post#317 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:21 pm

As between Cassell and Billups, I'll take Billups, because an NBA head coach also has to have media savvy, and I'm not sure Cassell does.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,141

Post#318 » by playa-hater » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:42 pm

cloverleaf wrote:I find it interesting that Kara hasn't absolutely taken her name out of consideration here:

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/kara-lawson-responds-celtics-head-coaching-candidacy-rumors

While I have Billups still as my top choice, IF Kara has Tatum's highest respect and can make Tatum-Brown-Smart (if he is still playing for Boston) play the right way with accountability than I am all for her.

the simplisest version of what Boston needs to do, is upgrade talent (Stevens' job) and get players to play Smarter (new coach)

I am most confident Billups can most of all. But I feel Kara may be in the same boat.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Post#319 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:15 pm

Yo, Brad interviewed one of his moneballers- Joe Mazulla. :D :D Dude's like 30 something and Brad brought him in what 2 years ago?
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#320 » by djFan71 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:24 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Really, you don't want Cassell because of his smile?!?!?

lol, it seems like a good criteria for excluding PGs. Maybe it works for coaches too. :)

Return to Boston Celtics