2021 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,284

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#421 » by Old Man Game » Tue Jun 1, 2021 5:55 pm

Assuming we're picking outside the top 5, if we were picking three or 4 years ago, I feel pretty certain Keon Johnson would be the pick right? Not a huge stretch since you see him mocked around 6-10 pretty regularly but something about his combo of high motor and elite athleticism plus so so skills just screams Presti pick of a few years ago. I don't think they'd even look at anyone else.
He sort of reminds me of Diallo. Explosive leaper with very mediocre skills.

I hope we've moved past this type of player.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,235

Post#422 » by luciano-davidwesley » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:55 am

Hello guys, Hornets fan coming in peace. I think you guys have got a very bright future. I'm going to put two and two together here and assume you might be willing to trade up as you will have too many picks and you won't have enough roster spots in the future for all your picks.

I was just wondering what your thoughts would be regarding CHA trades #11 & #56 OR #57 to OKC for #18 and #35 and #36?

We get a few more shots at the dartboard in the early second round and still have a late first rounder.

You guys move up to #11 to try to take a better prospect.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,018

Post#423 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 10:50 am

luciano-davidwesley wrote:Hello guys, Hornets fan coming in peace. I think you guys have got a very bright future. I'm going to put two and two together here and assume you might be willing to trade up as you will have too many picks and you won't have enough roster spots in the future for all your picks.

I was just wondering what your thoughts would be regarding CHA trades #11 & #56 OR #57 to OKC for #18 and #35 and #36?

We get a few more shots at the dartboard in the early second round and still have a late first rounder.

Looks like fair value but I don't see why Charlotte would do this (only if they don't like the players available with their pick I guess)
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,168

Post#424 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:12 pm

I would do it but don't think it's the best move for Charlotte.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 734

Post#425 » by cjmcallist » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:30 pm

luciano-davidwesley wrote:Hello guys, Hornets fan coming in peace. I think you guys have got a very bright future. I'm going to put two and two together here and assume you might be willing to trade up as you will have too many picks and you won't have enough roster spots in the future for all your picks.

Yep! I'd do it for sure.

It's the exact type of move I hope to make. Frankly, was hoping to be able to move a liiiiitle bit higher. Package #35/36 for like #20. Then package #18/20 and future pick for #9 or similar.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,517

Post#426 » by Devilanche » Tue Jun 8, 2021 2:41 pm

:P

I don’t see why Charlotte want do that but if Charlotte is in , I would throw in a future second I guess.

Jumping from 18 to 11 is huge .
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 906

Post#427 » by retrobro90 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:34 pm

Pivoting here but I just went back and rewatched two full Ignite games from this past season. I think people in general are really overthinking Kuminga and his shooting percentages. His skill level at his size/position is incredibly impressive. Some of the passes he makes considering how new he is to basketball are really really encouraging. After that first game I thought he was gonna be limited to making plays from a stand still either out of the post or triple threat position but he's making crazy bounce passes in transition and did more live dribble hits to his roll man on drives. The dynamism is there and he plays the most coveted position in the game. Not saying there's 0 concern on his efficiency but mechanically I see nothing unfixable with his J.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#428 » by Old Man Game » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:44 pm

I've been sort of up and down on Cade in terms of whether he's a lock to be an all star type of player. I have to say, after watching this pod he did with Reddick I feel significantly better in presuming beforehand this is a franchise cornerstone type of guy. The dude is just really smart, personable, clearly loves the game, understands the game. He's got that "it" factor that always seems to come across when you see elite level NBA players interviewed.

Anyway we probably don't pick 1 so it won't matter to us. He probably spends the next 7-12 years in Houston but it'd be cool if it did work out for us to get him.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,808

Post#429 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:21 pm

Somewhat OT, but if OKC gets lucky and ends up #1 to take Cade I think a Kemba + 16 for Horford deal starts to make sense. You bring in a off ball shooter/scorer with SGA/Cade being primary ballhandlers and Walker is a good locker room guy to help build the culture. The use 16+18 to move up for Sengun.

G - Kemba Walker / Theo Maledon / Ty Jerome
G - Shai Gilgeous-Alexander / Lou Dort / Ty Jerome
F - Cade Cunningham / Kenrich Williams / Vit Krejci
F - Aleksej Pokusevski / Darius Bazley / Isaiah Roby
C - Alperen Sengun / MLE C / Moses Brown
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,905

Post#430 » by Dn4sty » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:53 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:Somewhat OT, but if OKC gets lucky and ends up #1 to take Cade I think a Kemba + 16 for Horford deal starts to make sense. You bring in a off ball shooter/scorer with SGA/Cade being primary ballhandlers and Walker is a good locker room guy to help build the culture. The use 16+18 to move up for Sengun.

G - Kemba Walker / Theo Maledon / Ty Jerome
G - Shai Gilgeous-Alexander / Lou Dort / Ty Jerome
F - Cade Cunningham / Kenrich Williams / Vit Krejci
F - Aleksej Pokusevski / Darius Bazley / Isaiah Roby
C - Alperen Sengun / MLE C / Moses Brown

I don’t like taking the ball out of SGA and presumably Cades hands and that is what kemba would end up doing. SGA plays more passive than I’d like already. Plus Kemba eats minutes that I’d rather give to Theo, Jerome, etc...

I’d have to really like the 16th pick or have a deal to move up from like 5 by including 16 and more in place.
Dn4sty
Analyst

Post#431 » by Dn4sty » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:53 am

I kinda like this deal.

OKC gets Lamb and pick 13
Indy gets 18.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#432 » by Old Man Game » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:11 pm

Realistically, SGA is a complicating factor for me as it pertains to Cade. I feel like they're both at their best when they have the ball and a chance to operate, though both are certainly capable catch and shoot guys I'm not clear if that's optimal for either. To be honest, if you think about the top 5 guys, Mobley and Kuminga might actually be better fits alongside SGA accordingly.
RunOKC
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,382

Post#433 » by RunOKC » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:43 pm

Dn4sty wrote:I kinda like this deal.

Indy gets 18.

I'd love to do that deal, but no way Lamb is a negative value asset unless I'm missing something. 10.5m/1yr left on his deal; they could get a 2nd rounder or another player back for him probably without having to move down 5 spots
Dn4sty
Analyst

Post#434 » by Dn4sty » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:31 pm

RunOKC wrote:
Dn4sty wrote:I kinda like this deal.

Indy gets 18.

I'd love to do that deal, but no way Lamb is a negative value asset unless I'm missing something. 10.5m/1yr left on his deal; they could get a 2nd rounder or another player back for him probably without having to move down 5 spots

Lots of posters on trade board have expressed the need for pacers to move Lamb so that they can have the space under the tax to bring back McBuckets and McConnell.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#435 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:00 am

Old Man Game wrote:Realistically, SGA is a complicating factor for me as it pertains to Cade. I feel like they're both at their best when they have the ball and a chance to operate, though both are certainly capable catch and shoot guys I'm not clear if that's optimal for either. To be honest, if you think about the top 5 guys, Mobley and Kuminga might actually be better fits alongside SGA accordingly.

I’ve told myself I’m not going to be disappointed with any top five guy and I’ll probably talk myself in to anyone else they draft if they fall outside that range. That being said, for better or worse, Shai isn’t Russ. He’s much more willing to defer, and maybe at times to a fault. I think every good player fits with shai. If they don’t fit, it’s their problem, not shai’s.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#436 » by Old Man Game » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:17 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:Realistically, SGA is a complicating factor for me as it pertains to Cade. I feel like they're both at their best when they have the ball and a chance to operate, though both are certainly capable catch and shoot guys I'm not clear if that's optimal for either. To be honest, if you think about the top 5 guys, Mobley and Kuminga might actually be better fits alongside SGA accordingly.

I’ve told myself I’m not going to be disappointed with any top five guy and I’ll probably talk myself in to anyone else they draft if they fall outside that range. That being said, for better or worse, Shai isn’t Russ. He’s much more willing to defer, and maybe at times to a fault. I think every good player fits with shai. If they don’t fit, it’s their problem, not shai’s.

SGA seems like a solid dude. Not thinking he'd necessarily be a locker room problem if he isn't getting as many touches as he wants. But do you see him as a optimal fit next to Cade and Suggs? Like can any combo of SGA and Cade/Suggs/Green be a Lillard & McCollum or a Steph and Klay? Maybe they can I'm just not sure.
WestbrookGOATed
Veteran
And1: 2,379

Post#437 » by WestbrookGOATed » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:56 pm

Cade, Green or bust. That's it for me. Mobley is nice too but Cade or Green are the main objectives. I have 0 doubt if we land say, the 5th pick, Presti will trade future assets to move up and select SGA's sidekick.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,018

Post#438 » by Dadouv47 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:46 am

Best2EverDoIt wrote:Cade, Green or bust. That's it for me. Mobley is nice too but Cade or Green are the main objectives. I have 0 doubt if we land say, the 5th pick, Presti will trade future assets to move up and select SGA's sidekick.

I'm on board with you. Think a scorer like Green would be a perfect fit next to Shai.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#439 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:03 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

SGA seems like a solid dude. Not thinking he'd necessarily be a locker room problem if he isn't getting as many touches as he wants. But do you see him as a optimal fit next to Cade and Suggs? Like can any combo of SGA and Cade/Suggs/Green be a Lillard & McCollum or a Steph and Klay? Maybe they can I'm just not sure.

I think any time elite scorers play on the same team, someone’s role is somewhat diminished. But that talent normally wins out over teams built like the jazz if it’s superstar lever guys. Like I said, I’m happy with whoever we get whether we have two superstars like the first generation of the thunder or build a team like that jazz.
thedoppelganger
Senior
And1: 499

Post#440 » by thedoppelganger » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:15 pm

Read on Twitter
/photo/1
No Cade or Suggs listed as they'll probably have their own pro days/workouts, but basically every other American based prospect will be attending combine

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder