ImageImageImageImageImage

Outdoor Pickup Basketball in Ontario

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

mihaic
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,029

Re: Outdoor Pickup Basketball in Ontario 

Post#41 » by mihaic » Tue Jun 8, 2021 10:41 pm

refshateRaps wrote:
Raptolicism wrote:
refshateRaps wrote:
The cost of not exercising & socializing for our youth is a far larger health crises then any minimal outdoor spread of this specific virus.

The youth are not at risk of anything serious & the transmission is and was always very damn low.

I never said anything about "not exercising & socializing for our youth".

I simply pointed out that outdoor transmission is absolutely possible, and that basketball unfortunately is riskier than other sports in this scenario.

Also - while kids are not impacted as severely as adults - the variants have been more aggressive w young folk, and a lot of them still get very sick, and sometimes even worse. Plus, the kids bring it home to the fam.

The 'aggressive' term in describing variants impact on youth is quite the exaggerated scare tactic since a strain of any virus is always more 'aggressive' in nature in terms of spread and almost always less harmful as it mutates. All of these variants are still less harmful then the common flu to our youth according to CDC and on par with the influenza for those under 60 on the low end.

If someone was going to be in contact with someone at risk in their home then they should obviously be more careful, unfortunately. Otherwise the greater population needs to be able to socialize, exercise live and be healthy.

I agree that socializing is important. But you made a couple statements there which I am not sure that they are right:
I thought they say delta variant is equally or more harmful, while easier to transmit. Did I get that wrong?
Did CDC actually say the bolded statement somewhere? Do you have a link?
mihaic
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,029

Post#42 » by mihaic » Tue Jun 8, 2021 11:00 pm

In any case the hospitalization rate is quite high for Covid, this is why it puts a strain on the medical system. Check it for yourself,
https://riskcalc.org/COVID19Hospitalization/
Much higher than influenza

Cleveland is ranked very high for health/medical in the states, btw. You can calculate the risk for US population using their calculator.
I doubt influenza rates of hospitalization are this high.
KrazyP
General Manager
And1: 5,430

Post#43 » by KrazyP » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:40 am

refshateRaps wrote:
Raptolicism wrote:
refshateRaps wrote:
The cost of not exercising & socializing for our youth is a far larger health crises then any minimal outdoor spread of this specific virus.

The youth are not at risk of anything serious & the transmission is and was always very damn low.

I never said anything about "not exercising & socializing for our youth".

I simply pointed out that outdoor transmission is absolutely possible, and that basketball unfortunately is riskier than other sports in this scenario.

Also - while kids are not impacted as severely as adults - the variants have been more aggressive w young folk, and a lot of them still get very sick, and sometimes even worse. Plus, the kids bring it home to the fam.

The 'aggressive' term in describing variants impact on youth is quite the exaggerated scare tactic since a strain of any virus is always more 'aggressive' in nature in terms of spread and almost always less harmful as it mutates. All of these variants are still less harmful then the common flu to our youth according to CDC and on par with the influenza for those under 60 on the low end.

If someone was going to be in contact with someone at risk in their home then they should obviously be more careful, unfortunately. Otherwise the greater population needs to be able to socialize, exercise live and be healthy

I see that you are extremely frustrated but I cant say I agree with your stance.

The 3rd wave of this pandemic was the worst of the bunch in terms of hospitalizations and deaths. If it wasnt for lockdowns, things would have most definately escalated and threatened to overload our health care system. This isnt my opinion, its the opinion of doctors, nurses and statisticians who actually work in our health care system and have been dealing with the situation day to day.

The suggestion that the latest variants like the UK variant weren't more aggressive is completely incorrect. I dont know where you are getting this information from.

Also, I have had no issues exercising and staying healthy...go for a jog, go for bike ride, do some push-ups, shoot some hoops if you can find a net, etc. We have an 8 year old and we've found ways to get her active.

From a socialization aspect the lockdown has been rough but the reason its lasted so long is because we bungled the vaccine rollout. Canada completely failed in securing doses early on and thats why we've lagged behind almost all developed world nations. Our fully dosed rate is at 8%. The US who are in the clear are almost at 43% fully dosed. Thats the main reason why they are living carefree and we've still had lockdowns to this point.

US - 43%
UK - 42%
Spain - 23%
Germany - 22%
Italy - 22%
France - 19%
Turkey - 16%
Mexico - 11%
Brazil - 11%
Canada - 8%
Japan - 4%
India - 3%
i2edAlien
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#44 » by i2edAlien » Wed Jun 9, 2021 12:50 am

I can't say I'm surprised, but I guess I am just naïve considering I thought most people would be a lot less short-sighted. Some of you do not understand that it affects more than just someone at a first person level. There's the health care system being affected by your stupid selfish asses. Ya sure, the chances of YOU dying or having severe symptoms are really low but it affects others who aren't exposing themselves to COVID. There are a lot of people suffering from much more fatal health conditions who are waiting on treatment, or can't properly live their lives because of anti-masking/non-socially-distanced **** who only care about themselves and their right to "party" and "have fun". There are a lot of families who are doing their best to help get over this but here we are, thinking we can be like the US and not give a fk. Guess what? We don't have the infrastructure in place to be reckless.

The government has given you all numerous chances right from the beginning to deal with this in a responsible manner, but here we are. It's been dragged on because our cases keep spiking due to negligence and selfishness. We don't need science to know what the right thing to do is as a community. It only requires common sense to know something like this can get out of hand real fast (as evident by the initial outbreak when everyone treated as one of those "bad **** only happens to others on the news, not us".

The only thing anyone can fault the government are all the half-assed reinforcement efforts, and caving in to whatever $$$ is pressuring them to reopen early. Otherwise it's all on us. Had we been cooperative and taken it seriously from the get go, we would've been fine by now. This pandemic has just shown how selfish society is and that we can't be trusted to self govern.
refshateRaps
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,921

Post#45 » by refshateRaps » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:01 am

i2edAlien wrote:I can't say I'm surprised, but I guess I am just naïve considering I thought most people would be a lot less short-sighted. Some of you do not understand that it affects more than just someone at a first person level. There's the health care system being affected by your stupid selfish asses. Ya sure, the chances of YOU dying or having severe symptoms are really low but it affects others who aren't exposing themselves to COVID. There are a lot of people suffering from much more fatal health conditions who are waiting on treatment, or can't properly live their lives because of anti-masking/non-socially-distanced **** who only care about themselves and their right to "party" and "have fun". There are a lot of families who are doing their best to help get over this but here we are, thinking we can be like the US and not give a fk. Guess what? We don't have the infrastructure in place to be reckless.

The government has given you all numerous chances right from the beginning to deal with this in a responsible manner, but here we are. It's been dragged on because our cases keep spiking due to negligence and selfishness. We don't need science to know what the right thing to do is as a community. It only requires common sense to know something like this can get out of hand real fast (as evident by the initial outbreak when everyone treated as one of those "bad **** only happens to others on the news, not us".

The only thing anyone can fault the government are all the half-assed reinforcement efforts, and caving in to whatever $$$ is pressuring them to reopen early. Otherwise it's all on us. Had we been cooperative and taken it seriously from the get go, we would've been fine by now. This pandemic has just shown how selfish society is and that we can't be trusted to self govern.

We been locked-down for over a year and half in Ontario... So what are you talking about? So man people are suffering and dying from these lock-down measures and the benefits are very questionable compared to the harm.

Further if the healthcare system capacity is the greater issue, they might want to start fixing it ASAP. The longer our youth (and adults) sit in front of a screen with great impedance to exercise the sooner they need that healthcare system as well.

Thankfully the at most at risk are finally almost all double vaxed so we should be able to move on from this unfortunate period.

Although I'll believe it when i see it come respiratory season in the fall.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,298

Post#46 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:38 pm

Raptolicism wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
Raptolicism wrote:That is not accurate.

Outdoor activities are far less risky, but covid is most certainly transmittable outdoors.

And when thinking of all the outdoor activities - playing basketball and defending someone appears to be one of the highest risk options.

It sucks! But it is true.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7769445/covid-outdoor-transmission-science/

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/11/briefing/outdoor-covid-transmission-cdc-number.html

They already opened golf courses.

Are there any documented cases of the virus being spread playing outdoor basketball, or any outdoor sport?

Uuuuh... Those links speak to what I said above "Outdoor activities are far less risky, but covid is most certainly transmittable outdoors."

Golf should never have been closed! And no, I do not go golfing ever. Objectively golf is almost ideal to play during this pandemic. Basketball, which is the only sport I do these days, is obviously far riskier if people are actually playing D, and are panting all over each other's faces. I don't like the fact that the only sport I play is riskier than sports that I don't play, but it is what it is.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,405

Post#47 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:39 pm

Basketball_Jones wrote:I’m still confused as to how easily the virus transmits. Seems to be nearly impossible in outdoors even without a mask given all the protests, gatherings that have occurred without any cases linked. A year later it’s still unclear to me how people have been getting it.

Weren't a bunch ogf trump rallies linked to thousands of cases of spread. I think outdoor basketball is too risky right now... You're basicly breathing all over one another. The opposite of social distances which most people think is standing two more imches apart than normal.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,405

Post#48 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:42 pm

Mikistan wrote:is Covid over? i have 30 lbs i need to work off on the street-ball courts

Those feels. I can relate.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
radeonboy
Analyst
And1: 3,704

Post#49 » by radeonboy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:31 pm

refshateRaps wrote:
C_Money wrote:They took down the nets? That seems a little over the top.

Its Ontario. There is no bottom to what our Governments here are doing to prevent the youth from being healthy

Even now to attend a socially distanced, small group City of Toronto day camp my child will have to wear a mask OUTDOORS in the heart of summer.

Kid has been barred from sports for a year and a half. Ive had enough.

Something is seriously not right with this Province and City

Bye bye
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,492

Post#50 » by Duffman100 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:33 pm

Watching pick up videos online now make me sad. It's all 1 on 1 garbage. One guy trying to score, while everyone watches. Next time down it's someone else.

I would be so bored.
bargs4mvp
Analyst
And1: 3,042

Post#51 » by bargs4mvp » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:37 pm

I’ve been playing full soccer and basketball games all spring, it’s been great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
radeonboy
Analyst

Post#52 » by radeonboy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:39 pm

Thanks for the truth bomb

KrazyP wrote:
refshateRaps wrote:
Raptolicism wrote:I never said anything about "not exercising & socializing for our youth".

If someone was going to be in contact with someone at risk in their home then they should obviously be more careful, unfortunately. Otherwise the greater population needs to be able to socialize, exercise live and be healthy

I see that you are extremely frustrated but I cant say I agree with your stance.

The 3rd wave of this pandemic was the worst of the bunch in terms of hospitalizations and deaths. If it wasnt for lockdowns, things would have most definately escalated and threatened to overload our health care system. This isnt my opinion, its the opinion of doctors, nurses and statisticians who actually work in our health care system and have been dealing with the situation day to day.

The suggestion that the latest variants like the UK variant weren't more aggressive is completely incorrect. I dont know where you are getting this information from.

Also, I have had no issues exercising and staying healthy...go for a jog, go for bike ride, do some push-ups, shoot some hoops if you can find a net, etc. We have an 8 year old and we've found ways to get her active.

From a socialization aspect the lockdown has been rough but the reason its lasted so long is because we bungled the vaccine rollout. Canada completely failed in securing doses early on and thats why we've lagged behind almost all developed world nations. Our fully dosed rate is at 8%. The US who are in the clear are almost at 43% fully dosed. Thats the main reason why they are living carefree and we've still had lockdowns to this point.

US - 43%
UK - 42%
Spain - 23%
Germany - 22%
Italy - 22%
France - 19%
Turkey - 16%
Mexico - 11%
Brazil - 11%
Canada - 8%
Japan - 4%
India - 3%
radeonboy
Analyst

Post#53 » by radeonboy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:40 pm

Thanks for the truth bomb. +1

i2edAlien wrote:I can't say I'm surprised, but I guess I am just naïve considering I thought most people would be a lot less short-sighted. Some of you do not understand that it affects more than just someone at a first person level. There's the health care system being affected by your stupid selfish asses. Ya sure, the chances of YOU dying or having severe symptoms are really low but it affects others who aren't exposing themselves to COVID. There are a lot of people suffering from much more fatal health conditions who are waiting on treatment, or can't properly live their lives because of anti-masking/non-socially-distanced **** who only care about themselves and their right to "party" and "have fun". There are a lot of families who are doing their best to help get over this but here we are, thinking we can be like the US and not give a fk. Guess what? We don't have the infrastructure in place to be reckless.

radeonboy
Analyst

Post#54 » by radeonboy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:41 pm

Reading parts of this thread reminded me of this. :lol:

johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,660

Post#55 » by johanliebert » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:40 pm

Gotta love real gm doctors with the fear mongering. Some of ya’ll would love to be masked up and indoors indefinitely
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 36,311

Post#56 » by Tor_Raps » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:21 pm

johanliebert wrote:Gotta love real gm doctors with the fear mongering. Some of ya’ll would love to be masked up and indoors indefinitely

It's annoying checking this thread and seeing it sidetracked by things most people aren't even sure of at the highest levels lol
VC15Era
Bench Warmer
And1: 865

Post#57 » by VC15Era » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:23 pm

super annonying to wear a mask while playing basketball... I will pass
refshateRaps
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,921

Post#58 » by refshateRaps » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:36 am

VC15Era wrote:super annonying to wear a mask while playing basketball... I will pass

No one really does but I get if you dont feel safe.

I think its would be more annoying trying to have a drink but somehow some seem to manage I guess

This is the Toronto COVID era summed up in one picture

Return to Toronto Raptors