Head Coach Candidates

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,302

Head Coach Candidates 

Post#1 » by boomershadow » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:05 pm

Since this is a slightly different topic than the one about letting Bjorkgren go, I figured it needed it's own thread. There are going to be a lot of names thrown around, so let's put all that here.

Obviously, Terry Stotts is a name that will get thrown around. There were candidates from last year that deserve a mention. There are certain coaches that may be let go going forward, Budenholzer perhaps. Who do you want?
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Re: Head Coach Candidates 

Post#2 » by Wizop » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:35 pm

someone on the General Board suggested Sam Mitchell. that's a name I hadn't heard before but he checks all of my boxes - older, black, former player. former Pacer. head coaching experience.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#3 » by pacers33granger » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:47 pm

It seems very likely it will be Stotts, which isn't great, but understandable. Honestly, at this point I think we should all just be hoping for a strong staff. We were lucky to always have Burke in the past, as well as some solid other assistants. We're starting anew again though and we just saw how bad it can get if the staff isn't on the same page and can't relate to the players.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#4 » by boomershadow » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:47 pm

J. Michael said on JMV that the dark horse candidate to watch for is Brian Shaw.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#5 » by pacers33granger » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:49 pm

boomershadow wrote:J. Michael said on JMV that the dark horse candidate to watch for is Brian Shaw.

Ehh, he has experience and knows the franchise. But he was pretty bad as a head coach. To be fair, that's been some time, the league is different, etc. Interesting thought though.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#6 » by pacers33granger » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:58 pm

He's obviously not a head coaching candidate, but maybe David West would have some interest in an assistant job doing player development? Probably not as I gather he is pursuing a Master's degree right now in African American history and very likely has plans for what he wants to do.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,060

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:14 pm

pacers33granger wrote:He's obviously not a head coaching candidate, but maybe David West would have some interest in an assistant job doing player development? Probably not as I gather he is pursuing a Master's degree right now in African American history and very likely has plans for what he wants to do.

Kevin said he’s asked West to join the staff every offseason, but he time isn’t right for David, yet. I’ll bet he keeps asking, but I assume the timing still isn’t right.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#8 » by Wizop » Wed Jun 9, 2021 10:06 pm

boomershadow wrote:J. Michael said on JMV that the dark horse candidate to watch for is Brian Shaw.
He checks my boxes.

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:37 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Mike Budenholzer and Brian Shaw are the two names mentioned. Says Shaw would be more a candidate if the Pacers went rebuild mode.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 715

Post#10 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:05 am

Candidates list I found
D’Antoni
Thibodeau
Jerry Stackhouse
David Fizdale
Becky Hammons
Terry Stotts
Kenny Atkinson
Tim Duncan
Dave Joerger
Pablo Prigioni
Steve Clifford
Lloyd Pierce
Mike Brown
Sam Cassell
Chauncey Billups
Jason Kidd
Darwin Ham

To name a few.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#11 » by Moooose » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:35 am

MDA and Budenholzer on top of my list. But would prefer the latter as a safer, less complicated choice given the roster that we have.

The Atlanta team with just Horford and Millsap with a bunch of workhorses was pretty good. I kind of think the team build is a bit similar to what we have now. Unfortunately, they met LeBron two years in a row in the playoffs. But still, a coach that is capable of bringing a team into the ECF.

Stotts. Well, not that I dislike him but I think he'd be a bronze medal after MDA and Bud.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#12 » by boomershadow » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:31 pm

A lot of people think I'm crazy because I've been saying Dave Joerger during each coaching search.

Obviously he isn't everything the Pacers said they were looking for last time, but the guy is the associate head coach for the number one seed in the East with a player that evolved into an MVP candidate.

The Grit and Grind Grizzlies were good under him and super solid defensively. The seasons at Sacramento weren't amazing, but he still lead them to the best record that franchise has had since Mike Bibby and Brad Miller were on the team.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:03 pm

boomershadow wrote:A lot of people think I'm crazy because I've been saying Dave Joerger during each coaching search.

Obviously he isn't everything the Pacers said they were looking for last time, but the guy is the associate head coach for the number one seed in the East with a player that evolved into an MVP candidate.

The Grit and Grind Grizzlies were good under him and super solid defensively. The seasons at Sacramento weren't amazing, but he still lead them to the best record that franchise has had since Mike Bibby and Brad Miller were on the team.

It’s more that Joerger has burned bridges, personally, at each of his head coaching stops. His results are impressive, and scream that he should be a head coach in this league. His inability to work with management and players has pushed him out of rather impressive stops. After the issues with Nate, I think Joerger should likely be one of the least likely candidates this time.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#14 » by Jake0890 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:47 pm

Budenholzer and Stotts seem like prime Pacers candidates... esp if they are targeting someone who has a 'modern offensive mind-set'. I would definitely prefer Budenholzer, a Nets series sweep might guarantee he's available. But sounds like the goal hasn't changed from last off-season, seems they just felt like Nate was a swing and a miss. Pretty comical to go back and re-watch the Bjorkgren press conference where Pritchard raves about how blown away he was in the interview process by this guy.

I would be shocked if we pursued MDA, unfortunately - he was avail last season as well and didn't seem like he was considered much then, so not sure why this time would be different - sounds like the Blazers want him anyway, and the Dame pairing seems to make good sense.

Haven't heard the name Brian Shaw in awhile... I remember when it was a big deal he walked away. Given his lack of (positive) experience as a HC, that's another choice that would surprise me after the Bjorkgren debacle.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#15 » by boomershadow » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:58 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
boomershadow wrote:A lot of people think I'm crazy because I've been saying Dave Joerger during each coaching search.

It’s more that Joerger has burned bridges, personally, at each of his head coaching stops. His results are impressive, and scream that he should be a head coach in this league. His inability to work with management and players has pushed him out of rather impressive stops. After the issues with Nate, I think Joerger should likely be one of the least likely candidates this time.

I definitely am aware of his downsides, although every coaching candidate has them. Either playoff losses or defensive issues or something. I don't think Joerger is who we will end up going with. But it is who I would pick over several other big name candidates if I was in charge. I know if we had gone with him this year, we wouldn't have had problems with player accountability that's for sure.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:13 pm

boomershadow wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I definitely am aware of his downsides, although every coaching candidate has them. Either playoff losses or defensive issues or something. I don't think Joerger is who we will end up going with. But it is who I would pick over several other big name candidates if I was in charge. I know if we had gone with him this year, we wouldn't have had problems with player accountability that's for sure.

Likely we’d still have the issues of burning bridges with staff and players. Just for different reasons.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#17 » by Wizop » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:42 pm

Stackhouse would be on my lead assistants list.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 715

Post#18 » by Pacers Forever » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:14 am

My list of coaches I can give a chance
Sam Mitchell
Kenny Atkinson
Mike Brown
Becky Hammon
Bud not sure he’ll be available.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#19 » by Wizop » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:00 pm

Wiretap has Penny Hardaway interested in an NBA job. he's head coach of Memphis - college not pro - now. I'd interview him.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:05 pm

Wizop wrote:Wiretap has Penny Hardaway interested in an NBA job. he's head coach of Memphis - college not pro - now. I'd interview him.

I’m all for interviewing everyone, but he has not coached particularly well at Memphis. His success so far has come solely from his college recruiting of players he brought up through his AAU program. But, he could always be a guy better at NBA than college.

Return to Indiana Pacers