Mike D'Antoni Interested In Becoming Head Coach Of Blazers

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Mike D'Antoni Interested In Becoming Head Coach Of Blazers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:55 pm

Mike D'Antoni has serious interest in becoming head coach of the Portland Trail Blazers, a source tells The Athletic. It has yet to be determined whether the Blazers will reciprocate the interest.

D'Antoni is serving as an assistant coach with the Brooklyn Nets this season.

Neil Olsehy is widely believed to prefer Chauncey Billups as head coach. Billups is currently an assistant coach for the Los Angeles Clippers. 

Via Sam Amick/The Athletic

Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,886

Re: Mike D'Antoni Interested In Becoming Head Coach Of Blazers 

Post#2 » by Jabroni Lames » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:21 pm

This is actually the perfect fit. Blazers already have the small ball roster to fit D'Antoni's SSOL. Dame will be AVERAGING 40 PPG. Make this happen!
RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 205

Post#3 » by RipCityKJ » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:00 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:This is actually the perfect fit. Blazers already have the small ball roster to fit D'Antoni's SSOL. Dame will be AVERAGING 40 PPG. Make this happen!

We don’t have a problem with Dame scoring we have a Defensive problem and going from one offensive minded coach to another won’t help this team advance. I think a Popovich assistant like Ukoda or Hammond someone who can run counter plays and not just stick to the same routine night after night.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#4 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:07 pm

RipCityKJ wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:This is actually the perfect fit. Blazers already have the small ball roster to fit D'Antoni's SSOL. Dame will be AVERAGING 40 PPG. Make this happen!

We don’t have a problem with Dame scoring we have a Defensive problem and going from one offensive minded coach to another won’t help this team advance. I think a Popovich assistant like Ukoda or Hammond someone who can run counter plays and not just stick to the same routine night after night.

D'Antoni has actually had some pretty good defensive teams. He had NY and Houston rated as high as 5th and 6th in the NBA on defense.

Going to a defensive minded coach that may not be able to take advantage of your best assets seems like a bad idea.

Lillard has a short window and Mike D will make this team better.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
slay25
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#5 » by slay25 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:11 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
RipCityKJ wrote:

D'Antoni has actually had some pretty good defensive teams. He had NY and Houston rated as high as 5th and 6th in the NBA on defense.

Going to a defensive minded coach that may not be able to take advantage of your best assets seems like a bad idea.

i don’t understand why if dantoni is the coach they are automatically bad on defense. like he can’t hire assistants who have great defensive coaching ability? this isn’t a video game
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,936

Post#6 » by Effigy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:21 pm

I'd be all for this. We know D'Antoni can coach. Why not give him a chance? We do have a great roster for his style.
njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 112

Post#7 » by njknicks » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:24 pm

Blazers would be Rockets 2.0

Nurkic = Capela lite
Covington = Tucker 2.0
Powell = Gordon 2.0
Dame = Mini Harden
CJ = CP3 lite
Hans1984
Pro Prospect
And1: 314

Post#8 » by Hans1984 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:41 pm

Just what the Blazers need: Another coach that doesn't know a lick about defense :lol:
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#9 » by WargamesX » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:59 pm

Melo doesn’t deserve this :noway:
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
NYKat
RealGM
And1: 4,389

Post#10 » by NYKat » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:39 pm

slay25 wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
RipCityKJ wrote:

i don’t understand why if dantoni is the coach they are automatically bad on defense. like he can’t hire assistants who have great defensive coaching ability? this isn’t a video game

He pretty much quit when Steve Kerr asked him to do this in Phoenix, IJS
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,048

Post#11 » by Lalouie » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:01 pm

he's a good quick fix for what ails ya.

but after that they would need something else. por is already a top5/6 in the west
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#12 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:06 pm

njknicks wrote:Blazers would be Rockets 2.0

Nurkic = Capela lite
Covington = Tucker 2.0
Powell = Gordon 2.0
Dame = Mini Harden
CJ = CP3 lite

I think that's a good thing. That Rockets team almost took down the Warriors.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
random_hero891
Rookie
And1: 810

Post#13 » by random_hero891 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:05 pm

D'Antoni just wants an opportunity to mess with Carmelo again lol
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#14 » by Barcs » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:25 pm

random_hero891 wrote:D'Antoni just wants an opportunity to mess with Carmelo again lol

I was about to say the same thing! D'Antoni just can't stay away from Melo!
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,692

Post#15 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:27 pm

Effigy wrote:I'd be all for this. We know D'Antoni can coach. Why not give him a chance? We do have a great roster for his style.

If Mike D'Antoni is going to coach an NBA team (and I understand there are those that perhaps he shouldn't be), I agree it should be a team with offensive assets like the Blazers.

I would at least give him an interview to give him a chance to explain his vision for the team.
DarkoNeedsAfro
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,239

Post#16 » by DarkoNeedsAfro » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:15 pm

The Blazers need to decide their direction. Either they commit to trades and overhauling their roster or they go all in with D'antoni. He fits what they have...but going with what they have hasn't been a recipe for success yet. D'Antoni would make them more effective offensively, but it still may not be enough. I would go the other way personally.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#17 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:02 am

DarkoNeedsAfro wrote:The Blazers need to decide their direction. Either they commit to trades and overhauling their roster or they go all in with D'antoni. He fits what they have...but going with what they have hasn't been a recipe for success yet. D'Antoni would make them more effective offensively, but it still may not be enough. I would go the other way personally.

Lillard i not a great passer... no one on the Blazers is. I'm not sure how D'Antoni's team concept fixes anything in POR.
trix17
Sophomore
And1: 172

Post#18 » by trix17 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:26 am

njknicks wrote:Blazers would be Rockets 2.0

Nurkic = Capela lite
Covington = Tucker 2.0
Powell = Gordon 2.0
Dame = Mini Harden
CJ = CP3 lite

That's some next level dumb ****. Capella and Nurk are nothing alike. CJ and CP3 couldn't BE more opposite. In fact none of these comparisons are close except maybe Dame playing similar to Harden but even then. Very different styles.

What's the rationale here? Player height? Apart from that, these comparisons are so far off I don't know how you could be a basketball fan and make them...
Openheimer
Sixth Man
And1: 1,100

Post#19 » by Openheimer » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:07 am

Harden will be traded to the blazers if true. Nurkic also should be carful as Dantoni dose not play bigs who can’t pick and roll well
reamily
Senior
And1: 87

Post#20 » by reamily » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:32 am

Dantoni teams play defense, they just get tired in the end, imagine the physical toll he will require you on both ends..portland has depth right

Return to Wiretap Discussion