ImageImageImageImageImage

2020-21 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,203

Re: 2020-21 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#521 » by Dalek » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:23 pm

alpngso wrote:
Dalek wrote:If we get first overall I would do major remodelling. Acquire more 2021 picks to recreate the Monteverde super team:

Toronto wins first overall, selects Cade

Toronto trades Pascal Siakam and a 2023 FRP to Golden State for Andrew Wiggins and their 2021 Twolves FRP (currently 6) to draft Scottie Barnes.

Toronto trades FVV to NY for their 2 first rounders and cap filler to draft Moses Moody. Might need to package both picks to get Moody.

Starters
Cade
Moody
OG
Barnes
Second round C like Badji or Bassey

Bench
Flynn
Trent Jr.
Harris
Boucher
Birch

In about two years this team should be able to contend assuming a couple veterans with playoff experience get added.

This team should be called the Montverde Raptors

In the US Monteverde was a big deal during their heyday. We just don't get exposure to US prep school scene here in Canada. If we did pull this bizarre plan off, I am sure US media outlets would be fascinated by Toronto. We might be relevant again.
TorontoRapsFan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,367

Post#522 » by TorontoRapsFan » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:44 pm

Kris_Banks wrote:Myles Turner may be available in the trade market. Does anyone know if we can trade Baynes and Hood Draft night or do we have to commit to them first?

Link: https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/262896/Hornets-Lakers-Knicks-Wolves-Interested-In-Myles-Turner

This works in the ESPN trade machine

Link: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine

Indiana Gets

Toronto Raptors 2021 1st Round Pick and two 2021 2nd Round Picks

C Aron Baynes

SG/SF Rodney hood

Toronto Gets

C Myles Turner

It's a tough sell for Indiana if they have to take Baynes and Hood for a season but if they can cut their non-guaranteed contracts they get 3 draft picks for Turner without taking any salary back which is pretty good.

Nope. No way. If pacers want to give up the 13th pick with Turner then we're talking.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,449

Post#523 » by Morris_Shatford » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:45 pm

Kris_Banks wrote:Myles Turner may be available in the trade market. Does anyone know if we can trade Baynes and Hood Draft night or do we have to commit to them first?

Link: https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/262896/Hornets-Lakers-Knicks-Wolves-Interested-In-Myles-Turner

This works in the ESPN trade machine

Link: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine

Indiana Gets

Toronto Raptors 2021 1st Round Pick and two 2021 2nd Round Picks

C Aron Baynes

SG/SF Rodney hood

Toronto Gets

C Myles Turner

It's a tough sell for Indiana if they have to take Baynes and Hood for a season but if they can cut their non-guaranteed contracts they get 3 draft picks for Turner without taking any salary back which is pretty good.

Both the outbound contracts would need to be guaranteed for the amount necessary in order to make it work,
In theory Hood, Boucher (who may actually hold some value to the Pacers) and the picks would work.

I don't know if the value is there in terms of what the Pacers may want out Turner
But if our pick was 8th or worse I would certainly consider it
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,084

Post#524 » by tecumseh18 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:57 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:

Both the outbound contracts would need to be guaranteed for the amount necessary in order to make it work,
In theory Hood, Boucher (who may actually hold some value to the Pacers) and the picks would work.

I don't know if the value is there in terms of what the Pacers may want out Turner
But if our pick was 8th or worse I would certainly consider it

I would just send out Boucher and take Turner into the remaining cap space (assuming Kyle walks for nothing). That makes the deal more attractive for Pacers. But if I'm sending out the #7 pick and Boucher, I want the Pacers' #13 back. We could include the 2 second rounders. Maybe a 2023 protected first.

Turner fits with us, but he's very injury prone and his shot is inconsistent.
C-R-E-A-M-
Senior
And1: 790

Post#525 » by C-R-E-A-M- » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:06 am

Read on Twitter

FVV
Cade/Green/Suggs
OG
Siakam
Holmes

Flynn-Trent Jr-Boucher-Birch off the bench
tecumseh18
RealGM

Post#526 » by tecumseh18 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:33 am

C-R-E-A-M- wrote:
FVV
Cade/Green/Suggs
OG
Siakam
Holmes

Not sure how plugged in this guy is. He's got only 10K followers, and his site only has 1K.

I just don't see how Holmes fits with Siakam. And Holmes is an undersized C, just like Birch and Freddie G. It doesn't pass the smell test.

Also the word on Twitter is that Holmes wants 20 mill/yr. But who would be bidding against the Raptors? Knicks can just resign the bigger Noel. Mavs were mentioned, but they have a big Latvian problem to deal with. Maybe they could trade Porzingis for Hield, and then sign Holmes. Charlotte is mentioned, but they're also in on Turner.

Also - why not just pay it to Blake? I think he would perfectly complement our front line.
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,672

Post#527 » by hyper316 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:17 am

tecumseh18 wrote:
C-R-E-A-M- wrote:
FVV
Cade/Green/Suggs
OG
Siakam
Holmes

Not sure how plugged in this guy is. He's got only 10K followers, and his site only has 1K.

I just don't see how Holmes fits with Siakam. And Holmes is an undersized C, just like Birch and Freddie G. It doesn't pass the smell test.

Also the word on Twitter is that Holmes wants 20 mill/yr. But who would be bidding against the Raptors? Knicks can just resign the bigger Noel. Mavs were mentioned, but they have a big Latvian problem to deal with. Maybe they could trade Porzingis for Hield, and then sign Holmes. Charlotte is mentioned, but they're also in on Turner.

Also - why not just pay it to Blake? I think he would perfectly complement our front line.

Holmes for $20M? No thanks
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,437

Post#528 » by Asif16 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:18 am

C-R-E-A-M- wrote:
Read on Twitter

FVV
Cade/Green/Suggs
OG
Siakam
Holmes

Holmes would be a great fit. But maybe over-priced due to the lack of superstars available in this free-agent crop.

ALso depends on where we land in the draft lottery. IF we move into the top 4 and somehow get a grab of Mobely...than holmes obviously isn't a target anymore
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,256

Post#529 » by Raptorfan2012 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:52 pm

Asif16 wrote:
C-R-E-A-M- wrote:
Read on Twitter

FVV
Cade/Green/Suggs
OG
Siakam
Holmes

Holmes would be a great fit. But maybe over-priced due to the lack of superstars available in this free-agent crop.

ALso depends on where we land in the draft lottery. IF we move into the top 4 and somehow get a grab of Mobely...than holmes obviously isn't a target anymore

Yeah, I think our big FA target is either Holmes (if we don't draft a C) or Dinwiddie (if we don't draft a combo guard).
TorontoRapsFan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,367

Post#530 » by TorontoRapsFan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:37 pm

C-R-E-A-M- wrote:
Read on Twitter

FVV
Cade/Green/Suggs
OG
Siakam
Holmes

Really would rather just have Birch instead of paying Holmes to start.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,449

Post#531 » by Morris_Shatford » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:47 pm

C-R-E-A-M- wrote:
Read on Twitter

FVV
Cade/Green/Suggs
OG
Siakam
Holmes

Holmes is one of the most "Nick Nurse" players in the NBA;
I would love to have him on this team.

The issue is I think he is going to sign for crazy money somewhere;
I am not sure if he is a guy I would want to pay 15 - 20m per season for.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,880

Post#532 » by agkagk » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:24 pm

even if holmes plays well, in a cap era, paying him 15 - 20 million a year is a really really bad idea.

kelly olynk or nerlan noel can give you 75% of the production for half the dollars and years.
oldncreaky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 4,405

Post#533 » by oldncreaky » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:39 pm

agkagk wrote:even if holmes plays well, in a cap era, paying him 15 - 20 million a year is a really really bad idea.

kelly olynk or nerlan noel can give you 75% of the production for half the dollars and years.

Agree -- better to get 75% of the production for half the cost

In today's NBA, when match-ups frequently force all but the best 3 or 4 C's off the court, I don't think it makes sense to pay a player like Holmes $20M a year.

I think the Raptors would be better off spending about $20-25M on the position, but spread it over 3 players with different holes in their games. Birch, Portis and Hernangomez? Birch, Theis, and Bradley? Birch, Olynyk and a Euro vet?
Vinnie became the Microwave in May 1985, zapping the Celtics in Joe Louis
tecumseh18
RealGM

Post#534 » by tecumseh18 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:10 pm

TorontoRapsFan wrote:
C-R-E-A-M- wrote:
Read on Twitter

FVV
Cade/Green/Suggs
OG
Siakam
Holmes

Really would rather just have Birch instead of paying Holmes to start.

They're approximately the same size. And Birch will be one quarter to one third the price, while hitting the occasional 3.

Portis or Kelly O. for the MLE (or if we're a cap space team, just above the MLE).
gojoorange
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,081

Post#535 » by gojoorange » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:25 pm

Interesting info in the vid below. Blake indicates that the Raps were close to sending Norm to Charlotte for Malik Monk before the Lamelo injury.

biglottoballs
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#536 » by biglottoballs » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:50 am

Considering the need for the front court piece to have the following capabilities:

Stretch the floor, make defensive rotations, have lateral quickness, rebounding on defense and offense, be able to match up against Embiid and other large centers.

The closest we could find to that would be Aleperen Sengun.

From free agency the Raptors should show the most interest in Lonzo Ball. He would be a worthwhile gamble and has some remaining potential. I could see Ball being an all star in this conference.

A Ball, Siakam/Sengun pick and roll would cause defenses to shift. Fred and OG are best attacking closeouts and guarding the opposing best players.
gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#537 » by gerrit4 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:09 pm

Assuming we can get him at the right price, I really think that Olynyk could be the main signing for us this summer. With Pascal out for a bit, we will need some big man scoring. And whenPascal is back, we will want shooters around him.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,877

Post#538 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:46 am

Asif16 wrote:
C-R-E-A-M- wrote:
Read on Twitter

FVV
Cade/Green/Suggs
OG
Siakam
Holmes

In the unlikely event of...to solve our starting centre situation. Holmes is not happening.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,877

Post#539 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:49 am

gerrit4 wrote:Assuming we can get him at the right price, I really think that Olynyk could be the main signing for us this summer. With Pascal out for a bit, we will need some big man scoring. And whenPascal is back, we will want shooters around him.

Def a possibility. They have to be in the playoffs to need a JV elbow dispenser.
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,476

Post#540 » by Spida888 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:56 pm

Would Pels do Fred for Ball + FRP/prospect?

I think Fred is the better player now, hence the FRP/prospect, but Ball is younger and has more upside. Fred can provide some veteran leadership for the much needed Pelicans. The caveat may be if Kyle doesn't stay and we trade Fred, our vet leadership goes kaput.

If we draft a guard/wing, we'll have a lineup of:
Ball
Trent/Our Pick/Kyle
OG
Siakam
New Center/Birch

Return to Toronto Raptors