DAL/GSW - Porzingis for Wiggins

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,486

DAL/GSW - Porzingis for Wiggins 

Post#1 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:04 pm

Dallas trades:
Kristaps Porzingis

Golden State trades:
Andrew Wiggins

Why for Dallas? If Porzingis situation is heading south, they go for someone who can be a solid two way wing beside Porzingis and on a shorter deal

Why for Golden State? With Klay back they balance out their roster a little more by giving themselves some frontcourt offense in Porzingis who could play center beside Draymond. They take on the extra year but they're in win now mode anyways.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,790

Re: DAL/GSW - Porzingis for Wiggins 

Post#2 » by psman2 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:08 pm

I think GS needs the wing defense and OK offense of Wiggins more than good offense and now not good D of KP.

Plus GS has to clean up their books at some point, cannot imagine they want a longer contract.
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,579

Post#3 » by parsnips33 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:10 pm

I like the version where we get DFS as well. We need strong wing defenders so that we can continue to go with Draymond at center in crunch time, don't think Porzingis is good enough to get us to go away from that
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,346

Post#4 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:14 pm

parsnips33 wrote:I like the version where we get DFS as well. We need strong wing defenders so that we can continue to go with Draymond at center in crunch time, don't think Porzingis is good enough to get us to go away from that

I'm here. For Golden State anyway. :wink: I think they would need DFS back and I think they would have every right to ask for him in a swap.

For Dallas though Wiggins is an upgrade to Dorian for sure, but not a huge one. So this feels like a move that upgrades one position somewhat while removing all the potential upside that KP still has and gives them no real financial gains to speak of until that last year.

I don't really see a path to solving these issues so I struggle to find a Wiggins/KP swap that works.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 2,984

Post#5 » by daoneandonly » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:22 pm

I think calling Wiggins a solid two way player is debatable. I'd consider the straight swap, in no way should Dallas add dFS. Wiggins isn't that good
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,707

Post#6 » by gswhoops » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:48 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
parsnips33 wrote:I like the version where we get DFS as well. We need strong wing defenders so that we can continue to go with Draymond at center in crunch time, don't think Porzingis is good enough to get us to go away from that

I'm here. For Golden State anyway. :wink: I think they would need DFS back and I think they would have every right to ask for him in a swap.

For Dallas though Wiggins is an upgrade to Dorian for sure, but not a huge one. So this feels like a move that upgrades one position somewhat while removing all the potential upside that KP still has and gives them no real financial gains to speak of until that last year.

I don't really see a path to solving these issues so I struggle to find a Wiggins/KP swap that works.

Yeah I think the idea makes sense on the surface (they're both bad contracts, GS needs a center, huzzah!) but the details make it impossible to hammer out.

The only thing I'll add to what's already been discussed is that the extra year of KP's deal is a not-insignificant factor for us, since the end of Wiggins' deal represents our soonest realistic chance to get out of the luxury tax and reset the repeater clock.
Nate the Great
Pro Prospect
And1: 380

Post#7 » by Nate the Great » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:49 pm

Oh, goody. We haven’t had this trade suggestion in, what, a couple days? That’s what I love about the trade board, every offer is so original.

I will never want KP on the Warriors for a couple reasons: 1. Their system relies on everyone playing defense, especially front court players, and 2. They have enough injury issues without adding more.

Black Lives Matter
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,346

Post#8 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:52 pm

Nate the Great wrote:Oh, goody. We haven’t had this trade suggestion in, what, a couple days? That’s what I love about the trade board, every offer is so original.

Title did not fool you. If you find it repetitive and uninteresting you don't have to open it. But not everyone is as familiar with the day to day ideas on the board as you and I might be.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,935

Post#9 » by wolves_89 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:03 pm

It's an interesting proposal. I think the deal makes some sense in that it raises the Warriors potential ceiling (though hoping that Porzingis stays on the court is not a great bet), while on the other side it raises the Mavs floor (the one thing Wiggins has consistently shown in his career his ability to stay healthy). Basically the deal is trading upside for availability.
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,456

Post#10 » by Swish1906 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:08 pm

Easy no for Dallas. KPs impact and ceiling is much higher than Wiggins
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 20,790

Post#11 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:17 pm

I will once again offer for OKC to act as the third team here with Horford. And I'd do it for Wiggins or KP.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,486

Post#12 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:19 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:I will once again offer for OKC to act as the third team here with Horford. And I'd do it for Wiggins or KP.

OKC: Wiggins
GSW: Porzingis
Dallas: Horford

Not bad, although GSW might just go for Horford over Porzingis in that situation
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,037

Post#13 » by Mavrelous » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:20 pm

KP fits a team that wants to gamble, paying 25 cents on the dollar (the dollar being KP last season, a very good rim protector, and very good offensive big), preferably, a team that has nothing to lose cap wise, like OKC who have Horford dead money, SA who need a big man (though I doubt Pop would want that headache, but who knows, he handled Stephen Jackson pretty well) and may not be able to strike gold on Collins or Markannen, GSW isn't a team in that position, every dollars matters for them since they are in tax hell, and they are in win now mode, it's a bad fit, and I understand why they'd ask for DFS from their POV, but KP for Wiggins straight up is a disappointing deal for Dallas as it is, he basically doesn't fit GSW for the same reason Dallas want to move him, they prefer safe 50 cent on current KP than possible $.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#14 » by Warriors Analyst » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:22 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:I will once again offer for OKC to act as the third team here with Horford. And I'd do it for Wiggins or KP.

OKC: Wiggins
GSW: Porzingis
Dallas: Horford

Not bad, although GSW might just go for Horford over Porzingis in that situation

I'd rather take back Horford than Porzingis, but it's still not a super appealing deal for me.
Nate the Great
Pro Prospect
And1: 380

Post#15 » by Nate the Great » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:24 pm

wolves_89 wrote:It's an interesting proposal. I think the deal makes some sense in that it raises the Warriors potential ceiling (though hoping that Porzingis stays on the court is not a great bet), while on the other side it raises the Mavs floor (the one thing Wiggins has consistently shown in his career his ability to stay healthy). Basically the deal is trading upside for availability.

“Not a great bet?” You have quite a gift for understatement. KP has as great a chance to stay on the court as I have to win the lottery on February 29 while being struck by lightning. And I don’t play the lottery.

Black Lives Matter
Bnice5
Sophomore
And1: 81

Post#16 » by Bnice5 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:31 pm

KP and DFS for Wiggins, Wiseman, and GS23 1st
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,458

Post#17 » by GoBobs » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:39 pm

GS prefers the fit of Wiggins and Dallas can get more value elsewhere, both teams decline even though value is close.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Post#18 » by azwfan » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:45 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:Dallas trades:
Kristaps Porzingis

Golden State trades:
Andrew Wiggins

Why for Dallas? If Porzingis situation is heading south, they go for someone who can be a solid two way wing beside Porzingis and on a shorter deal

Why for Golden State? With Klay back they balance out their roster a little more by giving themselves some frontcourt offense in Porzingis who could play center beside Draymond. They take on the extra year but they're in win now mode anyways.

Im still against this swap, but dont find it as repulisive as I once did. This GSW needs more from Dallas here, not sure how to make up the difference though.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,456

Post#19 » by Swish1906 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:50 pm

Mavs arent downgrading from KP to Wiggins or Horford. Thinking that the Mavs should/would have to throw in DFs in a KP-Wiggins swap is just insane
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#20 » by ChuckDurn » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:35 am

Instant “no” from the Warriors, unless they somehow get a SF back. There’s a roughly 0% chance that the Warriors would bring Oubre back in anything other than a lesser role (i.e. coming off the bench), so this deal leaves them with no SF’s on their roster, and the only means of bringing at least 2 in are via the draft, using the taxpayer MLE (only $5.9M), vet minimums, or another trade - and the only salaries which are really tradeable are Wiseman and Looney (about $5M, but that’s if he picks up his option, which means he can’t be traded for 90 days..... so timing is a problem).

Right now, the most critical position in the NBA is the wing, and the Warriors would basically be void. Yes, technically Juan Toscano-Anderson is a small forward, and he’s a great story, but if he’s playing a lot of time, your team is in trouble.

And we can’t be sure that Klay is going to be able to play a ton, particularly at the start of the year, so an argument of “just slide Klay up to play SF” is faulty. (Particularly since one of the Warriors’ hidden secrets to success is having a SG who is big and strong enough to guard up to the PF position, and that would be lost.)

So the argument of “have a higher upside and ‘win now’ “ gets subverted by “how do you win, without a single decent SF on the roster”?

(And Wiggins has played 280 games in the last 4 years, while Porzingis has played 148. And big tall guys rarely get healthier as they get older, particularly when most of their injuries have been in their legs.)

Easy “pass” for the Warriors...... unless there’s other stuff going on that answers the SF problem this creates.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?

Return to Trades and Transactions