Which star players didn't extend their rookie deals?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Deivork
Starter
And1: 1,737

Which star players didn't extend their rookie deals? 

Post#1 » by Deivork » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:22 pm

Trying to figure out if there have been any examples in NBA history where a star player gambled on himself and only played 4 to 5 years with a franchise, rejecting a max entension in order to be a free agent as soon as possible and choose a new destiny early in his career.

Maybe even 2n rounders or older stars didn't even reach 4 to 5 years with a franchise.

If we find some cases, it would be interesting to discuss whether those were succesful and if these should happen more often.
Win it for Al, win it for Marcus, win it for Bill #banner18 :beer:
Silver & Co: bring defense back to the NBA, please :cry:
Every day, we praise the the Lord for having Jayson "M.F." Tatum :nod:
Deivork
Starter

Re: Which star players didn't extend their rookie deals? 

Post#2 » by Deivork » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:23 pm

I was thinking of Luka in this case, but it seems he will extend his rookie deal like most stars do.

I think there was a case like 10 to 15 years ago but can't really remember who.
DrPampiloni
Junior
And1: 363

Post#3 » by DrPampiloni » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:25 pm

Deivork wrote:I was thinking of Luka in this case, but it seems he will extend his rookie deals like most stars do.

There was NEVER a chance he wouldn't.
Deivork
Starter

Post#4 » by Deivork » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:26 pm

DrPampiloni wrote:
Deivork wrote:I was thinking of Luka in this case, but it seems he will extend his rookie deals like most stars do.

There was NEVER a chance he wouldn't.

Good to know.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,795

Post#5 » by dirkforpres » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:47 pm

Deivork wrote:I was thinking of Luka in this case, but it seems he will extend his rookie deal like most stars do.

I wish he wouldn’t. He should hold this moronic front office responsible for giving him a deserving supporting cast before committing long term.

You’re right though, he will re-sign
FIRE JASON KIDD
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,838

Post#6 » by JasonStern » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:28 pm

Probably not star worthy, but Ben Gordon took the QO and left the Bulls to sign with Detroit.

And that's probably the level of player where taking the QO makes some sense if the team isn't willing to pay to retain the player. An actual star is likely going to be maxed, and a lesser player should probably consider taking the guaranteed money versus risking injury.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,953

Post#7 » by Capn'O » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:32 pm

JasonStern wrote:Probably not star worthy, but Ben Gordon took the QO and left the Bulls to sign with Detroit.

And that's probably the level of player where taking the QO makes some sense if the team isn't willing to pay to retain the player. An actual star is likely going to be maxed, and a lesser player should probably consider taking the guaranteed money versus risking injury.

So did Greg Monroe, who looked like a borderline star at the time.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Deivork
Starter

Post#8 » by Deivork » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:45 pm

JasonStern wrote:Probably not star worthy, but Ben Gordon took the QO and left the Bulls to sign with Detroit.

Thank you, that's the one I was looking for.
Deivork
Starter

Post#9 » by Deivork » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:49 pm

Capn'O wrote:

So did Greg Monroe, who looked like a borderline star at the time.

And him too. Coincidence or not, it seems both players' careers went downwards after signing the second contract... funny enough

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gordobe01.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/monrogr01.html
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,456

Post#10 » by Swish1906 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:50 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
Deivork wrote:I was thinking of Luka in this case, but it seems he will extend his rookie deal like most stars do.

I wish he wouldn’t. He should hold this moronic front office responsible for giving him a deserving supporting cast before committing long term.

The moronic FA trading up for him, same draft taking Brunson in the 2nd round...finding DFS and Kleber undrafted and signing them to bargain deals etc etc.

Your schtick against the FO and Rick is getting boring.

Ah and Donnie was the reason this dude in your username ended up in Dallas
OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#11 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:57 pm

This isn't exactly what you're looking for since he wasn't really betting on himself, but Shaq left Orlando after his rookie contract...this was in a brief window when RFA didn't exist.
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,277

Post#12 » by phanman » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:59 pm

Agent 0 was a second round pick of the Warriors and left as a RFA to the Wizards because Golden State was over the cap and couldn't resign him. Rule was created to fix this issue though.
Deivork
Starter

Post#13 » by Deivork » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:02 am

OldSchoolNoBull wrote:This isn't exactly what you're looking for since he wasn't really betting on himself, but Shaq left Orlando after his rookie contract...this was in a brief window when RFA didn't exist.

Yeah why not? I don't know what window you're talking about (would be nice if you expand), but Shaq was able to choose LA over Orlando, so it works.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,360

Post#14 » by Dominator83 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:04 am

Stromile swift thought he was a star. He was one of the 1st ones to take the QO. That blew up in his face.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Deivork
Starter

Post#15 » by Deivork » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:04 am

phanman wrote:Agent 0 was a second round pick of the Warriors and left as a RFA to the Wizards because Golden State was over the cap and couldn't resign him. Rule was created to fix this issue though.

Cool, good example too. Also insightful if you can expand on that rule fix.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,795

Post#16 » by dirkforpres » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:08 am

Swish1906 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

The moronic FA trading up for him, same draft taking Brunson in the 2nd round...finding DFS and Kleber undrafted and signing them to bargain deals etc etc.

Your schtick against the FO and Rick is getting boring.

Ah and Donnie was the reason this dude in your username ended up in Dallas

Who cares what he did 25 years ago? He has done next to nothing these past 10 years and actually harmed the team far more than helped.

Let’s not act like Doncic was some diamond in the rough on draft night that only Donnie knew about. Almost every GM in the world would’ve taken Luka at the top if there wasn’t this stupid stigma about Euroleague players.

For every good move Donnie has made, there are dozens of equally terrible ones.

I don’t need to back my case up to you though.

- Breaking up a championship team the following summer
- Max contracts to damaged players like Wes Matthews/Chandler Parsons/Kristaps Porzingis
- Trading for guys like Odom/Rondo/Noel
- wasting first round picks on Shane Larkin, Dominique Jones, Maurice Ager, Josh Green, etc.
should be enough to get any GM blacklisted from any other NBA front office job.

The only reason Mark Cuban won’t fire his stupid ass is because he is stuck in 2011 and won’t lose his yes men despite not having a lick of playoff success since then
FIRE JASON KIDD
Deivork
Starter

Post#17 » by Deivork » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:09 am

Dominater wrote:Stromile swift thought he was a star. He was one of the 1st ones to take the QO. That blew up in his face.

So it seems like most players who took QO in the last 15 years probably ended up regretting not signing a long term deal... do we have a pattern here?

I've always wondered why don't more players take the QO and become FA sooner, but I guess you really have to be there to renounce to life-altering money...

Like, KAT, for example. It was clear to me the Wolves weren't heading in a good direction, but he signed anyway. Why not wait a year and take part of a winning program? I bet he'd have had more than 5 better options than Minnesotta. Sorry guys.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,360

Post#18 » by Dominator83 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:15 am

Deivork wrote:
Dominater wrote:Stromile swift thought he was a star. He was one of the 1st ones to take the QO. That blew up in his face.

So it seems like most players who took QO in the last 15 years probably ended up regretting not signing a long term deal... do we have a pattern here?

I've always wondered why don't more players take the QO and become FA sooner, but I guess you really have to be there to renounce to life-altering money...

Like, KAT, for example. It was clear to me the Wolves weren't heading in a good direction, but he signed anyway. Why not wait a year and take part of a winning program? I bet he'd have had more than 5 better options than Minnesotta. Sorry guys.

Yea you would think that especially now with all this new player empowerment stuff, that more stars would go for the QO and reach UFA after year 5 instead of being locked in to their teams for longer.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager

Post#19 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:17 am

Deivork wrote:
OldSchoolNoBull wrote:This isn't exactly what you're looking for since he wasn't really betting on himself, but Shaq left Orlando after his rookie contract...this was in a brief window when RFA didn't exist.

Yeah why not? I don't know what window you're talking about (would be nice if you expand), but Shaq was able to choose LA over Orlando, so it works.

There was a ton of CBA negotiating and fighting going on in the 90s(ultimately culminating with 1998-99 lockout), and a parameter of one of a short term stop-gap agreement in 1995 was that RFA be eliminated. It was re-introduced in 98 or 99 after the lockout, for a few years there, it simply didn't exist. Shaq's first deal ended in that window, in 1996, and so he was UFA as soon as his first contract ended and Orlando had no matching rights.

Orlando, in maybe one of the five dumbest front office decisions ever, lowballed Shaq, and the rest is history.
OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager

Post#20 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:19 am

Dominater wrote:
Deivork wrote:

Yea you would think that especially now with all this new player empowerment stuff, that more stars would go for the QO and reach UFA after year 5 instead of being locked in to their teams for longer.

It's gotta be the fear of sustaining some kind of serious injury in that QO year and seeing your payday go up in smoke.

Return to The General Board