Image ImageImage Image

The Around The NBA Thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Re: The Around The NBA Thread 

Post#1301 » by MrFortune3 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:01 am

Dresden wrote:
CobyWhite0 wrote:
Pax for Prez wrote:
Read on Twitter

I remember reading quite a bit on this board about how the Vuc trade was worthless because Centers are done in this league... but Centers just finished 1 and 2 in the MVP voting this season.

Vuc is not as good as Jokic or Embiid.

Yeah, funny that. I think centers are less valued just because there aren't many real good ones around anymore. You take a guy like Ewing, Robinson, Shaq, Hakeem, David Cowens, Bob Lanier, Nate Thurmond, Kareem, Walton, and on and on, and those guys would be highly sought after in today's NBA. Ok, maybe I'm stacking the deck just listing HOF centers, but OTH, what the hell happened to all the great big men who could dominate in the paint? The league used to always have at least half a dozen outstanding big men at any one time. Now it's 3, maybe 4, and even those aren't true centers all the time, like AD.

Ayton should be dominating more than he does. He's got the body for it, and the athletiicism.

Bigs got lazy as hell. Everyone wanted to be Shaq but no one wanted to put in the work on offense to have great post moves and be able to be built around.
In HS they dominated because they were big and didn't need to be highly skilled. Then they got to the NBA and fizzled out.

Guards and wings overall improved their skill level and became easier to find and build around, the game adapted to suit the talent.
CobyWhite0
Rookie
And1: 819

Post#1302 » by CobyWhite0 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:05 am

Not only were centers #1 and #2 in the MVP race, a third center was just named DPOY for the third year in a row.

Yeah, centers don't matter any more...

EDIT: Third time in four years, my bad
MrFortune3
General Manager

Post#1303 » by MrFortune3 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:21 am

CobyWhite0 wrote:Not only were centers #1 and #2 in the MVP race, a third center was just named DPOY for the third year in a row.

My thought process has always been that you draft the best player and find a way to maximize their talent. C, PF, SF, SG, PG does not matter.
The mid range shot is coming back into the game and we are seeing more crazy match ups than ever.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,135

Post#1304 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:24 am

MrFortune3 wrote:
CobyWhite0 wrote:Not only were centers #1 and #2 in the MVP race, a third center was just named DPOY for the third year in a row.

My thought process has always been that you draft the best player and find a way to maximize their talent. C, PF, SF, SG, PG does not matter.
The mid range shot is coming back into the game and we are seeing more crazy match ups than ever.

The game alway evolves. Actually I think every position matters more in a balanced way now than before.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#1305 » by johnnyvann840 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:37 am

Wow.. Suns just burying the Nugz. It's as bad as the Nets and Bucks right now. Suns up by 31 in a blowout.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,379

Post#1306 » by DuckIII » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:54 am

The Suns are the only team with a legitimate chance to beat the Nets.

What a weird thing to say, and mean it.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
MrFortune3
General Manager

Post#1307 » by MrFortune3 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:16 am

DuckIII wrote:The Suns are the only team with a legitimate chance to beat the Nets.

What a weird thing to say, and mean it.

The Jazz and the Suns can beat the Nets. The question is will they?
It's going to be similar to 2012 when the Heat went to the Finals and it was either the Spurs or the Thunder to face them.
MrFortune3
General Manager

Post#1308 » by MrFortune3 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:20 am

Michael Jackson wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:

The game alway evolves. Actually I think every position matters more in a balanced way now than before.

That's one of the reasons I dislike when teams take the same damn position in drafts. Take the best player for sure but you have to balance your roster out appropriately. Magic, Suns, Hornets and even the early process Sixers all had that issue.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,896
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#1309 » by MalagaBulls » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:46 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:Wow.. Suns just burying the Nugz. It's as bad as the Nets and Bucks right now. Suns up by 31 in a blowout.

Wow, the Suns of Sarver legacy have come a long way.
Mbrahv0528
Veteran
And1: 1,312

Post#1310 » by Mbrahv0528 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:19 am

MrFortune3 wrote:
Dresden wrote:
CobyWhite0 wrote:
I remember reading quite a bit on this board about how the Vuc trade was worthless because Centers are done in this league... but Centers just finished 1 and 2 in the MVP voting this season.

Vuc is not as good as Jokic or Embiid.

Yeah, funny that. I think centers are less valued just because there aren't many real good ones around anymore. You take a guy like Ewing, Robinson, Shaq, Hakeem, David Cowens, Bob Lanier, Nate Thurmond, Kareem, Walton, and on and on, and those guys would be highly sought after in today's NBA. Ok, maybe I'm stacking the deck just listing HOF centers, but OTH, what the hell happened to all the great big men who could dominate in the paint? The league used to always have at least half a dozen outstanding big men at any one time. Now it's 3, maybe 4, and even those aren't true centers all the time, like AD.

Ayton should be dominating more than he does. He's got the body for it, and the athletiicism.

Bigs got lazy as hell. Everyone wanted to be Shaq but no one wanted to put in the work on offense to have great post moves and be able to be built around.
In HS they dominated because they were big and didn't need to be highly skilled. Then they got to the NBA and fizzled out.

Guards and wings overall improved their skill level and became easier to find and build around, the game adapted to suit the talent.
Lol what??? It has nothing to do with being lazy. The NBA changed rules offensively and defensively which made the game much more friendly to little guys. This is common knowledge to people who follow basketball.

Sent from my SM-F707U using RealGM mobile app
MrFortune3
General Manager

Post#1311 » by MrFortune3 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:57 am

Mbrahv0528 wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:
Dresden wrote:

Lol what??? It has nothing to do with being lazy. The NBA changed rules offensively and defensively which made the game much more friendly to little guys. This is common knowledge to people who follow basketball.

It had everything to do with bigs being lazy and not working on their offensive skillset. The NBA went from being built around dominant bigs to guards and wings and now being 3 pt shot crazy.
The rules didn't just change and make big men obsolete. The issue was finding high quality bigs with a offensive skill set you could build around. Since there were little to none, the game moved towards the players that the league could feature and build around.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,083

Post#1312 » by MGB8 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:58 pm

I wonder where Kemba ends up next season. I'm thinking one of the LA teams, or maybe Dallas... though I'm also thinking that he doesn't bring back all that much in return, given the injuries this season and large salary (although only for 2 seasons).
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,897

Post#1313 » by TheStig » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:15 pm

MGB8 wrote:I wonder where Kemba ends up next season. I'm thinking one of the LA teams, or maybe Dallas... though I'm also thinking that he doesn't bring back all that much in return, given the injuries this season and large salary (although only for 2 seasons).

I'm wondering if AK doesn't take a chance on him. He only has 2 years left. If he can get right, he'd be really good but I'm worried he's damaged goods.

Hopefully there is a better option available but I think we're that bad at PG that we would seriously consider it.

I'd say it's Ball, Lowry and then him.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,190

Post#1314 » by Dan Z » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:10 pm

It's crazy that at 36 years old Chris Paul is still doing as well as he is. Hopefully he stays healthy for the rest of the playoffs.

Whoever suggested the Bulls go after him after his time in Houston and OKC was right. His contract, plus age, always kept me on the side of no, but I was wrong about that.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,816

Post#1315 » by Dresden » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:43 pm

MGB8 wrote:I wonder where Kemba ends up next season. I'm thinking one of the LA teams, or maybe Dallas... though I'm also thinking that he doesn't bring back all that much in return, given the injuries this season and large salary (although only for 2 seasons).

Kemba's salary for the next two years is around 80 mil I think. Who would want him at that price? He's injured all the time as well. I don't think BOS will be able to trade him unless they take back some ugly contract in return.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,816

Post#1316 » by Dresden » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:47 pm

MrFortune3 wrote:
Mbrahv0528 wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:

It had everything to do with bigs being lazy and not working on their offensive skillset. The NBA went from being built around dominant bigs to guards and wings and now being 3 pt shot crazy.
The rules didn't just change and make big men obsolete. The issue was finding high quality bigs with a offensive skill set you could build around. Since there were little to none, the game moved towards the players that the league could feature and build around.

Guys like Jokic and Embiid and AD are showing that despite rule changes, a highly skilled big man, who is not only tall but strong and athletic, can still be one of the best players in the league. Heck, even Vuc puts up crazy good numbers. There just aren't many of those guys around anymore.
MrFortune3
General Manager

Post#1317 » by MrFortune3 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:21 am

Dresden wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:
Mbrahv0528 wrote:Lol what??? It has nothing to do with being lazy. The NBA changed rules offensively and defensively which made the game much more friendly to little guys. This is common knowledge to people who follow basketball.

Guys like Jokic and Embiid and AD are showing that despite rule changes, a highly skilled big man, who is not only tall but strong and athletic, can still be one of the best players in the league. Heck, even Vuc puts up crazy good numbers. There just aren't many of those guys around anymore.

Talented bigs will come back around. Ayton is starting to put it together. Mobley will be coming in during this draft, Chet Holmgren will be coming in 2022.
MrFortune3
General Manager

Post#1318 » by MrFortune3 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:24 am

TheStig wrote:

I'm wondering if AK doesn't take a chance on him. He only has 2 years left. If he can get right, he'd be really good but I'm worried he's damaged goods.

Hopefully there is a better option available but I think we're that bad at PG that we would seriously consider it.

We have to add defense with the starting PG position. Cannot see Kemba adding enough to warrant that move without multiple picks coming along with him.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#1319 » by johnnyvann840 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:42 am

Bucks come out and jump to a 21 point lead looking like a whole new team and then lay an egg in the 2nd Q. It was 30-9 with 1:30 left in the 1st Q - and now lead is gone.. it's 33-31. Bucks have fallen apart completely now scoring just 3 points in the last 9 minutes. It's been all Nets in the 2nd Q. Bucks just look completely lost all of a sudden. Nets defense has taken over the game. Just cannot see Milwaukee staying in this game the way things have turned.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,897

Post#1320 » by TheStig » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:53 am

MrFortune3 wrote:
TheStig wrote:

We have to add defense with the starting PG position. Cannot see Kemba adding enough to warrant that move without multiple picks coming along with him.

I can't see them sending picks. I agree we need more defense. But if we get to the end of the summer and that's the best vet pg available, I think we take a swing. There is just too much riding on the season to go in with the PG's we have.

Return to Chicago Bulls