Image ImageImage Image

Coby White gets shoulder surgery, re-evaluated in 4 months

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,774

Re: Coby White gets shoulder surgery, re-evaluated in 4 months 

Post#21 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:06 am

There is no way in Hell we go into next season depending on Coby White as our starting PG now. He might be worse next season. Go get Ball.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,213

Post#22 » by Red8911 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:10 am

This sucks for Coby. Not the end of the world he will be back when the season starts or at least won’t miss a lot of games but he was supposed to work on his game and get better over the summer. He now won’t be able to play basketball or even shoot a basketball for a while.

He might also miss training camp which is too a big deal. I wonder how this even happened? Just proves that injuries can happen anywhere not only when they play in nba games. This is not good news though for his development, he probably needed work on his game more than anyone on this team.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,690

Post#23 » by GoBlue72391 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:29 am

It never ends. Even when the season is over our suffering continues.

Sent from my SM-S115DL using RealGM mobile app
CobyWhite0
Rookie
And1: 819

Post#24 » by CobyWhite0 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:37 am

kulaz3000 wrote:You know what, I prefer this happen now than in the middle or the backend of the season, so fine. Plus, if this gives the front office another push to bring in a better quality point guard, even better. Because as it stands, without Coby, that hole becomes significantly larger now to start the season.

Yeah if you're going to get hurt, this is probably the best time of year for it to happen.

But I'm not sure this injury changes the front office's approach one bit - but that's just me, because I'm convinced we're going to trade for Micic. Because of this post in the Simonovic thread:

viewtopic.php?p=90490925#p90490925

CoreyVillains wrote:Asked a very trusted source what he thinks about Marko and he isn't optimistic. Thinks any Bulls fan that believes he can be a Lauri replacement is very misguided. The league he plays in is very down this year talent wise. Also told me a few other things about why AK may have drafted him that aren't exactly related to his on court play but can't go into it.

Having the same agent as Micic would certainly qualify as a reason to draft Marko. And we know AK is a big fan of Serbian players, shooting, and guys who can play more than one position, so it makes sense that he would be interested in Micic.

If Micic is a Bull this season, there's certainly less reason to worry about Coby not being 100% to start the season.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#25 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:41 am

CobyWhite0 wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:You know what, I prefer this happen now than in the middle or the backend of the season, so fine. Plus, if this gives the front office another push to bring in a better quality point guard, even better. Because as it stands, without Coby, that hole becomes significantly larger now to start the season.

Yeah if you're going to get hurt, this is probably the best time of year for it to happen.

But I'm not sure this injury changes the front office's approach one bit - but that's just me, because I'm convinced we're going to trade for Micic. Because of this post in the Simonovic thread:

viewtopic.php?p=90490925#p90490925

CoreyVillains wrote:Asked a very trusted source what he thinks about Marko and he isn't optimistic. Thinks any Bulls fan that believes he can be a Lauri replacement is very misguided. The league he plays in is very down this year talent wise. Also told me a few other things about why AK may have drafted him that aren't exactly related to his on court play but can't go into it.

Having the same agent as Micic would certainly qualify as a reason to draft Marko. And we know AK is a big fan of Serbian players, shooting, and guys who can play more than one position, so it makes sense that he would be interested in Micic.

If Micic is a Bull this season, there's certainly less reason to worry about Coby not being 100% to start the season.

This will absolutely change our plans. We will acquire a starting caliber PG. If not season is over before it starts. White will probably be a worse player than last season and definitely won’t improve. Micic is whatever. If he was that good he would not still be in Europe at 27 years old.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,232

Post#26 » by kodo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:44 am

drosestruts wrote:Well I wouldn't expect any big offseason improvements from Coby this year as he will now be rehabbing all summer.

100%.

IMO this is really why Wendell & Lauri never improved, injury recovery takes time and then even when healthy and can start training again, that time is spent getting back to where they were pre-injury.

I remember reading about Rose's normal day trying to recover from the ACL and it sounded like an absolutely brutal full work day. And then he had to go try and dominate an NBA game at the end of it.

Is a potential 6 month shoulder injury normal? I don't recall shoulder injuries taking players out for half a year. What the heck happened to him?
Clint Eastwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,075
Location: Taking my talents to South Beach (twice a day at times)

Post#27 » by Clint Eastwood » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:32 am

kodo wrote:
drosestruts wrote:Well I wouldn't expect any big offseason improvements from Coby this year as he will now be rehabbing all summer.

100%.

IMO this is really why Wendell & Lauri never improved, injury recovery takes time and then even when healthy and can start training again, that time is spent getting back to where they were pre-injury.

I remember reading about Rose's normal day trying to recover from the ACL and it sounded like an absolutely brutal full work day. And then he had to go try and dominate an NBA game at the end of it.

Is a potential 6 month shoulder injury normal? I don't recall shoulder injuries taking players out for half a year. What the heck happened to him?

I haven’t heard, but to me, that timetable sounds like a labrum tear.
We have Martell Webster. He's called Kyle Korver here, and we shall love him and squeeze him and call him Ashton. -BrooklynBulls
CobyWhite0
Rookie

Post#28 » by CobyWhite0 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:44 am

Clint Eastwood wrote:
kodo wrote:

100%.

I haven’t heard, but to me, that timetable sounds like a labrum tear.

If it hasn't been posted in here yet, I read that it was surgery to fix his labrum.

100% it's a tear. A full tear at that. I had surgery 13 years ago to repair a torn labrum, and I was good to go in 8 weeks because it was only a partial tear.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,497

Post#29 » by DuckIII » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:28 am

4-6 months. Crap.

Trade value is a non issue. He wasn’t getting traded this summer. Classic case of a young player whose potential is greater than his market value. Gotta keep him and hope for the best.

Big issue is he really needed an off-season.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#30 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:30 am

What are chances he was working out with Zach and and didn’t properly do one of those until unorthodox exercises? I would say higher than 50/50.
CobyWhite0
Rookie

Post#31 » by CobyWhite0 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:42 am

DuckIII wrote:4-6 months. Crap.

Trade value is a non issue. He wasn’t getting traded this summer. Classic case of a young player whose potential is greater than his market value. Gotta keep him and hope for the best.

Agreed 100% that there was no way AK was going to trade him this summer even before this injury.

Even if they were, this injury has zero effect on his trade value - if some other team wants Coby bad enough, they aren't going to care that he missed training camp and the preseason this year.
CobyWhite0
Rookie

Post#32 » by CobyWhite0 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:00 am

In the last 10 years, do you know how many players other than Coby have gone for 15/4/4 in their first or second season? Hint: it's 10

Jokic
Simmons (1st and 2nd season)
Luka (1st and 2nd season)
Trae
Mitchell
Oladipo
Wall
Morant
LaMelo
Coby
Michael Carter-Williams

And Coby is the 3rd-youngest player to do it in the last 10 years, behind only Luka and LaMelo.
CobyWhite0
Rookie

Post#33 » by CobyWhite0 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:06 am

WindyCityBorn wrote:What are chances he was working out with Zach and and didn’t properly do one of those until unorthodox exercises? I would say higher than 50/50.

I'd put it at zero, because they haven't started working out together yet.
Darius Miles Davis
Veteran
And1: 452

Post#34 » by Darius Miles Davis » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:22 am

Bad news. I think Coby was our best trade chip for this summer that we might have considered parting with. No more. As some other posters have commented, I also didn't expect him to be traded regardless.

At least it's his left shoulder, so it's good that it's his off hand, and it shouldn't mess with his shooting long term.
"Uh...we've always like ET. ET has big hands. His mother has big hands."
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,484

Post#35 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:22 am

DuckIII wrote:4-6 months. Crap.

I’m less confident of that. Mostly because I see us hunting a S&T this off-season, and an org as asset-strapped as we are has to put everyone expendable on the table in trade talks, including Coby.

So I’m a bit bummed that our options are even more limited now. More bummed about the lost year of development. But the lost flexibility weighs on me too.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#36 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:28 am

CobyWhite0 wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:What are chances he was working out with Zach and and didn’t properly do one of those until unorthodox exercises? I would say higher than 50/50.

I'd put it at zero, because they haven't started working out together yet.

I wonder what the Hell he was doing then?
CobyWhite0
Rookie

Post#37 » by CobyWhite0 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:13 am

Do people honestly believe that this injury lowers Coby's trade value even one iota? Seriously, if a team wants Coby, this injury lowers his trade value by 1% MAX. Though in reality, it doesn't effect it one iota.

He didn't blow out an ACL or an achilles, he didn't break a bone - do people even know what a torn labrum is?
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#38 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:17 am

CobyWhite0 wrote:Do people honestly believe that this injury lowers Coby's trade value even one iota? Seriously, if a team wants Coby, this injury lowers his trade value by 1% MAX. Though in reality, it doesn't effect it one iota.

He didn't blow out an ACL or an achilles, he didn't break a bone - do people even know what a torn labrum is?

I doubt he was getting traded anyway. It just sucks to know he won’t improve at all this off-season and could likely be worse.
PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,847

Post#39 » by PlayerUp » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:29 am

CobyWhite0 wrote:In the last 10 years, do you know how many players other than Coby have gone for 15/4/4 in their first or second season? Hint: it's 10

Jokic
Simmons (1st and 2nd season)
Luka (1st and 2nd season)
Trae
Mitchell
Oladipo
Wall
Morant
LaMelo
Coby
Michael Carter-Williams

And Coby is the 3rd-youngest player to do it in the last 10 years, behind only Luka and LaMelo.

Yes but there are exceptions like Michael Carter-Williams and Coby White. Nothing about Coby at this time screams All Star Talent much less starter material unless he can rapidly develop which he can't now because he got injured.
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#40 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:06 am

Well now at least im sure we wil get new starting PG..

Return to Chicago Bulls