How Good Was Roy Tarpley If He Had Not Tried to Snort A Bakery's Worth of White Powder?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

What's a clean and sober Roy Tarpley accomplish?

Poll ended at Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:41 am

Perennial All NBA/HOF
13%
Perennial All-Star/Borderline All NBA
50%
Borderline All Star
17%
Long Term Starter
7%
Top Bencher/pernnial 6MOY candidate
3%
I'm too young to have watched Roy Tarpley play
10%

Total votes: 30

Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

How Good Was Roy Tarpley If He Had Not Tried to Snort A Bakery's Worth of White Powder? 

Post#1 » by Winsome Gerbil » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:41 am

Roy Tarpley. Classic and notorious "what if' case. Won 6MOY as a kid in the last years of the Ro Blackman/Derek Harper/Mark Aguirre/Sam Perkins/Detlef Shrempf Mavs teams of the 80s. Also apparently watched way too much Miami Vice...and thought the coke dealers were the heroes. One of the best rebounders of his age, and the first player I ever saw pull off the "block snatch", where he went up and just snatched the ball out of the air in one giant mitt rather than merely blocking it. In the last three abbreviated seasons due to drugs, alcohol (and maybe a knee injury? forget) before his first ban, averaged 17.3-11.5, 16.8-13.1, and 20.4-11.0.

He was 26 when first banned. Made it back for most of one season 3years later. Got banned again and perma banned. Played in Europe. Sued the NBA under the ADA claiming his addiction was a "disability". Died young.

So what did we miss out on if his nose did not look like Rudolph's?

ellobo
Veteran
And1: 4,471

Re: How Good Was Roy Tarpley If He Had Not Tried to Snort A Bakery's Worth of White Powder? 

Post#2 » by ellobo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:22 am

A better rebounding, worse shooting LaMarcus Aldridge.
Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Yesterday I was lying; today I'm telling the truth.
Bologna Smasher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,181

Re: How Good Was Roy Tarpley If He Had Not Tried to Snort A Bakery's Worth of White Powder? 

Post#3 » by Bologna Smasher » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:26 am

About as good as Jayson Williams, which is nowhere near as good as Lou Amundson.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,781

Post#4 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:29 am

Very good. All star level talent. Even stoned he averaged 17-13.5 per 36 for his career.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,690

Post#5 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:30 am

He was a great player and making light of addiction sucks.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#6 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:32 am

Dude is dead have some respect at least in the thread name
TheBobster
Senior
And1: 645

Post#7 » by TheBobster » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:33 am

Zero class in the thread title.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,536

Post#8 » by Dominator83 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:38 am

Don't do drugs kids
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,062

Post#9 » by Lockdown504090 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:39 am

This thread is in such bad taste. i actually hope something bad happens to you.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM

Post#10 » by Winsome Gerbil » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:40 am

MagicBagley18 wrote:Dude is dead have some respect at least in the thread name

Guy was a mental midget. Also one of my favorite players at the time.

Made epically bad choices -- he took the respect from his own name, not me.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#11 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:44 am

Winsome Gerbil wrote:

I guess you have never known anyone with an addiction or clearly lack empathy for his family at all. You seem like a real winner
Plutonashfan
Analyst
And1: 3,120

Post#12 » by Plutonashfan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:14 am

Winsome Gerbil wrote:

Wow you must fun and giggles, life of the party IRL. Then again I remember your rambling about Boogie, etc. Seems like many other people agree with my settlement.
The Champ is HERE!!!
Plutonashfan
Analyst

Post#13 » by Plutonashfan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:26 am

MagicBagley18 wrote:
Winsome Gerbil wrote:

I guess you have never known anyone with an addiction or clearly lack empathy for his family at all. You seem like a real winner

What the last couple of years have taught me is the entitlement and vitriol in this country is out of control. RIP Roy
The Champ is HERE!!!
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM

Post#14 » by Winsome Gerbil » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:28 am

Plutonashfan wrote:
Winsome Gerbil wrote:

Wow you must fun and giggles, life of the party IRL. Then again I remember your rambling about Boogie, etc. Seems like many other people agree with my settlement.

Oh no, for what it's worth I'm most definitely not the fun of the party. Proudly so. I'm not that insecure, nor do I give a flying hoot about playing for others' approval. You could put every drug known to mankind on the table in front of me, and you'd be very lucky if I didn't just scoop them all up and flush $1000 of your money down the toilet for the insult.

Not sure what Boogie's got to do with anything. His career was ruined by things outside his control. That, I won't make excessive fun of. May eventually do an "anger issues" thread, but I think there's a huge break there between guys who just were in game angry and guys who were actually thugs/a threat to hurt people...or dogs...offcourt.

Tarpley however? He is THE cautionary tale. If he's got one last contribution to make it is solely as a failure so over the top that no kid ever wants to emulate him.
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,026

Post#15 » by RamonSessions7 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:31 am

Winsome Gerbil wrote:
Plutonashfan wrote:
Winsome Gerbil wrote:

Oh no, for what it's worth I'm most definitely not the fun of the party. Proudly so. I'm not that insecure, nor do I give a flying hoot about playing for others' approval. You could put every drug known to mankind on the table in front of me, and you'd be very lucky if I didn't just scoop them all up and flush $1000 of your money down the toilet for the insult.

Not sure what Boogie's got to do with anything. His career was ruined by things outside his control. That, I won't make excessive fun of. May eventually do an "anger issues" thread, but I think there's a huge break there between guys who just were in game angry and guys who were actually thugs/a threat to hurt people...or dogs...offcourt.

Tarpley however? He is THE cautionary tale. If he's got one last contribution to make it is solely as a failure so over the top that no kid ever wants to emulate him.

Cool……
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM

Post#16 » by Winsome Gerbil » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:35 am

RamonSessions7 wrote:
Winsome Gerbil wrote:
Plutonashfan wrote:Wow you must fun and giggles, life of the party IRL. Then again I remember your rambling about Boogie, etc. Seems like many other people agree with my settlement.

Cool……

Hey, I'm not the one trying to derail a thread by making it about me.

Tarpley is a famous case. Major talent. Never let himself have a career.
Plutonashfan
Analyst

Post#17 » by Plutonashfan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:39 am

Winsome Gerbil wrote:
Plutonashfan wrote:
Winsome Gerbil wrote:

Umm you doubling then tripling down on low-brow humor in light of addiction is not a cautionary tale. The fact you can't see that is on you. I wonder if you think Delonte West situation is just as funny and pun-worthy.
The Champ is HERE!!!
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,190

Post#18 » by NyKnicks1714 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:41 am

OP was vigorously defending Karl Malone for you know what in the statue thread. Maybe don't be too shocked by how he's talking about Tarpley.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM

Post#19 » by Winsome Gerbil » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:59 am

NyKnicks1714 wrote:OP was vigorously defending Karl Malone for you know what in the statue thread. Maybe don't be too shocked by how he's talking about Tarpley.

no, OP was making rational and well thought out arguments while the mob was patting itself on its back for its trite virtue signalling. Ooh, pedophilia is bad! So very insightful.

Now since I can't be cancelled -- I just don't care enough about your opinion to make that a winnable thing for you -- you might as well just run along now unless you've got some actual insight about Roy's abbreviated career.
TheBobster
Senior
And1: 645

Post#20 » by TheBobster » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:05 am

Winsome Gerbil wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:OP was vigorously defending Karl Malone for you know what in the statue thread. Maybe don't be too shocked by how he's talking about Tarpley.

no, OP was making rational and well thought out arguments while the mob was patting itself on its back for its trite virtue signalling. Ooh, pedophilia is bad! So very insightful.

Now since I can't be cancelled -- I just don't care enough about your opinion to make that a winnable thing for you -- you might as well just run along now unless you've got some actual insight about Roy's abbreviated career.

Yep, you're a real piece of......... work.

Return to The General Board