Cavs/Celtics/Knicks

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Re: Cavs/Celtics/Knicks 

Post#21 » by KuruptedCav » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:02 am

Sure, let me get right to overpaying for a damaged goods point guard from Boston…

More seriously, Walker is a worse fit next to Garland and Okoro, he is less efficient, shorter, older and injury prone. If the Cavs want an overpaid version of Collin, they’ll just overpay Collin.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,309

Post#22 » by hugepatsfan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:12 am

wolves_89 wrote:I would be shocked if there aren't more than a dozen offers for Smart that would be significantly better than cap space and a 2nd.

One anonymous executive said that BOS would have to take back a bad contract to maybe get a late 1st for Smart, fwiw. So cap space and a very early second is a better deal than what that GM said. Now, that's just on GM and lots of those anonymous guys have their own agendas. I tend to agree with you, but I do caution that if it's a deal like this where BOS is taking back no salary the return might be discounted. Lots of trades happen where we all shake our heads on valuations.

The issue here for me is that I don't see why CLE would want to pull NY in for this. Smart would be a great fit there and for such a little return seems very likely they'd just cut NY out of this deal and keep Smart for themselves. Of course moot point because they wouldn't do the rest of the deal. But you get what I mean.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,088

Post#23 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:17 am

hugepatsfan wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:I would be shocked if there aren't more than a dozen offers for Smart that would be significantly better than cap space and a 2nd.

One anonymous executive said that BOS would have to take back a bad contract to maybe get a late 1st for Smart, fwiw. So cap space and a very early second is a better deal than what that GM said. Now, that's just on GM and lots of those anonymous guys have their own agendas. I tend to agree with you, but I do caution that if it's a deal like this where BOS is taking back no salary the return might be discounted. Lots of trades happen where we all shake our heads on valuations.

The issue here for me is that I don't see why CLE would want to pull NY in for this. Smart would be a great fit there and for such a little return seems very likely they'd just cut NY out of this deal and keep Smart for themselves. Of course moot point because they wouldn't do the rest of the deal. But you get what I mean.
We already have Okoro. If the Celtics want to put Brown on the table for Sexton, Prince, and our pick, call us. If not, I think the Celtics energy would be better spent talking to other teams.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,309

Post#24 » by hugepatsfan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:22 am

jbk1234 wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:

We already have Okoro. If the Celtics want to put Brown on the table for Sexton, Prince, and our pick, call us. If not, I think the Celtics energy would be better spent talking to other teams.

Like I said in the first post of this thread, I do not like this deal for CLE. I also said it in the post you responded to. I was just commenting on the Smart valuation piece. People in here seem shocked at the value of him being #32. I'm simply saying that if he's traded into cap space, I think the return would be closer to that than people here realize. That's as a standalone Marcus Smart valuation.

In the context of this thread though I think if we accept the flawed premise that CLE would be interested in the rest of this deal, I think they'd keep Smart vs taking #32 from NT. You're allowed to have two good defenders on the team haha
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,088

Post#25 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:29 am

hugepatsfan wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:

Like I said in the first post of this thread, I do not like this deal for CLE. I also said it in the post you responded to. I was just commenting on the Smart valuation piece. People in here seem shocked at the value of him being #32. I'm simply saying that if he's traded into cap space, I think the return would be closer to that than people here realize. That's as a standalone Marcus Smart valuation.

In the context of this thread though I think if we accept the flawed premise that CLE would be interested in the rest of this deal, I think they'd keep Smart vs taking #32 from NT. You're allowed to have two good defenders on the team haha
We have Allen. It would be three and we'd be adding Smart to a team that was second to last in made threes while shipping out Sexton and Love. Cleveland is probably the worst team to send Smart to. The deal isn't salvageable.

Sometimes teams aren't good trade partners.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,776

Post#26 » by JJ_PR » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:57 pm

This is bad for Cleveland. Kemba Walker is one of those rare contracts that is worse than Kevin Love's. I'd rather keep Sexton than trade him for a pick outside the lottery.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,880

Post#27 » by nykballa2k4 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:57 pm

Spin Move wrote:NY just stealing Value here, Take out smart and we have a conversation NY should not be in this deal.

Love and Sexton for Kemba and 16 is the discussion As a celtics fan I would think about iit so long as Sexton wanted to re-sign, don't see cCeavland trading their best player. I don't love sexton (no pun intended) but Love could help stretch the floor for us and his age is more in line with our core. If there are no other options I would strongy consider it, but I am hopeful we can get something better.

The deal doesn't make sense for NY, but it does seem like a value steal. #32 for a rental starter would be some good thievery. The only reason it doesn't make sense is if wanted to use cap for something else/better. We could eat a Kemba contract and receive a FRP for example. There will probably be some teams that need "just so much space" over the summer for the FA they want and could attach FRP, SRP to it. Long term that would probably be the best use of the cap space.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#28 » by JediMasterRevan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:53 pm

Smart for pick 32??????

I dont want to sound rude but WTF?????

Return to Trades and Transactions