ImageImageImageImageImage

Who will the Knicks Target? Here's a List of REALISTIC Players

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,310

Re: Who will the Knicks Target? Here's a List of REALISTIC Players 

Post#141 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:02 am

Here's a list of 75 players the Knicks will realistically target. :lol: this place....

There isn't anything to get excited about for me. I see a treadmill in the making. I would prefer a youth movement but ..whatever. I really don't see much that will get is to contend until these superteams run out of gas so...yeah. Who is realistically coming here in the next 2 years? What top star players will come? That's what it takes to win.
:beer: RIP mags
N Y K
RealGM
And1: 8,451

Post#142 » by N Y K » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:15 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:Here's a list of 75 players the Knicks will realistically target. :lol: this place....

There isn't anything to get excited about for me. I see a treadmill in the making. I would prefer a youth movement but ..whatever. I really don't see much that will get is to contend until these superteams run out of gas so...yeah. Who is realistically coming here in the next 2 years? What top star players will come? That's what it takes to win.

I have no idea, I don't think anyone knows. Did you see Durant, Kyrie, and Harden in Brooklyn two years ago?

Nothing about this team says treadmill yet.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,487

Post#143 » by RHODEY » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:53 am

moocow007 wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
If shooting was the only thing that matters no it wouldn't be an upgrade. But Oubre does trump Bullock in the one area that so happens to be the Knicks biggest weakness...talent.

IMO Talent without the commensurate production is wasted talent. The Warriors version of Oubre is not something I would sign up for. And I feel like we can ultimately do better.

Oubre is younger than Julius Randle and folks were not liking the previous versions of Randle either. There is a reason why so many teams are rumored to be very interested in Oubre. It's his ability to impact the game with the ball when he's in the game and what most team have come to realize that you need to have guys that can score on multiple levels in the NBA if you plan on competing with the big dogs. While no he's not lived up to his talent potential (see Randle up until this season) there is the talent and room to become more. Bullock? he is what he is and this past season, with Thibs pushing everyone to go above and beyond their norm, is likely going to be hard to reproduce. That is what Bullock is all likelihood. And we saw what the lack of versatile and talented offensive players does for a team come playoff time. If the plan was for Oubre to be the main guy then yeah, that's a potential disaster, but the Knicks are not. They have Randle and hopefully are aiming for a true no.1. So Oubre would serve what many of the Hawks players behind Trae serves...multi skilled and versatile offensive players that force you the opposing team to have to spend energy to guard...that has the talent to actually punch back when the opposing team throws their own. It's what ultimately doomed the Knicks...their lack of anyone that can thrown a punch on offense game in and game out. No he's not a great 3 point shooter but you don't need everyone on your team to be able to shoot 3's. It's great if they could but you need guys that can create baskets and not have to rely on someone else to get them set up. Yeah it would be great if we can get an Oubre level talent that can also shoot 3's real well and that doesn't have the Tsunami Papi personality quirks, but those are the top tier guys that we have no way of getting. And even if we could it doesn't mean that adding someone that has his talent but is not perfect isn't a good move...especially in today's NBA...

I guess just watching him kill momentum play after momentum play for the Warriors really soured me on him. But like you said he's versatile and talented so if he does end up with us I'd hope to be wrong about him.
aggo
RealGM
And1: 5,760

Post#144 » by aggo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:53 am

thebuzzardman wrote:Add Nunn, Powell (or Fournier) & Oubre, try to get Turner

Trade RJ for a top 10 pick in this draft, move Mitch in the trade for Turner.
Resign Rose

Yup.

Powell or Fournier is the most obvious 4yr deal offers we should be making the moment FA opens. It can be done irrespective of any trades we could be exploring Bc if necessary we can have 60m in cap space
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,479

Post#145 » by WargamesX » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:55 am

aggo wrote:

Resign Rose

Yup.

Powell or Fournier is the most obvious 4yr deal offers we should be making the moment FA opens. It can be done irrespective of any trades we could be exploring Bc if necessary we can have 60m in cap space

I hope not neither of those guys push the needle to the point we’re contenders. The Knicks need to both grow, but not go all in.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,653

Post#146 » by prophet_of_rage » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:59 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:Here's a list of 75 players the Knicks will realistically target. this place....

You know youth movement teams tend to develop into treadmill teams as well. Nothing is guaranteed. You just want reasonable contracts.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
aggo
RealGM
And1: 5,760

Post#147 » by aggo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:02 am

WargamesX wrote:
aggo wrote:

Resign Rose

Yup.

I hope not neither of those guys push the needle to the point we’re contenders. The Knicks need to both grow, but not go all in.

errr

Dude we dont have a choice.

In order to utilize our capspace before it gets eaten by Randle's and RJ's new contracts in '22 and '23, we dont have a choice. It has to be used or else the bird rights and RFA contract we're about to extend to randle and RJ are going to eat it up for us.

We have to use the capspace either this offseason or next. there is no other way around this if we presume Randle will receive a 4/5 year deal and RJ gets his max RFA deal.

Powell and Fournier are both winning players. Powell is a 2 way player while Fournier has playmaking ability and is an avg defender.

4/80 for Powell
or 4/65 for Fournier is perfect for Knicks '21 because it fills a huge area of need-- production from SG/SF position. This also preserves our ability to trade for a RFA max player OR make trading for a soon to be UFA OR trading for a current max player because we dont have to necessarily balance contracts or need a third team to balance contracts. 15-20m isn't going to hurt our ability to get a true max player.

our starting SG put up 17ppg
our starting SF put up 10ppg.

guys... open your **** eyes.
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,989

Post#148 » by Richard4444 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:06 am

NYF13 wrote:For Myles Turner, can Charlotte beat this offer of HIGH 2nd Round pick plus Mitchell Robinson?

Mich should be UFA in 2022. It will be a one-year rent.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,479

Post#149 » by WargamesX » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:14 am

aggo wrote:
WargamesX wrote:
aggo wrote:Yup.

errr

In order to utilize our capspace before it gets eaten by Randle's and RJ's new contracts in '22 and '23, we dont have a choice. It has to be used or else the bird rights and RFA contract we're about to extend to randle and RJ are going to eat it up for us.

We have to use the capspace either this offseason or next. there is no other way around this if we presume Randle will receive a 4/5 year deal and RJ gets his max RFA deal.

Powell and Fournier are both winning players. Powell is a 2 way player while Fournier has playmaking ability and is an avg defender.

4/80 for Powell
or 4/65 for Fournier is perfect for Knicks '21 because it fills a huge area of need-- production from SG/SF position.

You’re right but your overlooking that 2022 is a much better FA. It makes more sense to look to fix holes like PG, because this year has more PGs and then go into next year with more money and see if we can add more talent overall. Especially cause who knows maybe this years rookies show something, and the youth we already have might grow.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,447

Post#150 » by robillionaire » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:26 am

N Y K wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:Here's a list of 75 players the Knicks will realistically target. :lol: this place....

I have no idea, I don't think anyone knows. Did you see Durant, Kyrie, and Harden in Brooklyn two years ago?

We just had our first winning season since dinosaurs roamed the earth and apparently that means we’re on a treadmill now :lol:
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,331

Post#151 » by Deeeez Knicks » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:40 am

robillionaire wrote:
N Y K wrote:

We just had our first winning season since dinosaurs roamed the earth and apparently that means we’re on a treadmill now :lol:

If anything we jumped off the treadmill
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,710

Post#152 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:12 am

aggo wrote:
WargamesX wrote:
aggo wrote:Yup.

errr

4/80 for Powell
or 4/65 for Fournier is perfect for Knicks '21 because it fills a huge area of need-- production from SG/SF position. This also preserves our ability to trade for a RFA max player OR make trading for a soon to be UFA OR trading for a current max player because we dont have to necessarily balance contracts or need a third team to balance contracts. 15-20m isn't going to hurt our ability to get a true max player.

Randle could request a 2 year/$50m deal which then qualify him for the super max bc he’s have 10 years in at that point.
Free Palestine
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,387

Post#153 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:47 am

prophet_of_rage wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:Here's a list of 75 players the Knicks will realistically target. this place....

You know youth movement teams tend to develop into treadmill teams as well. Nothing is guaranteed. You just want reasonable contracts.

Yeah, I was thinking of this when I mulled over whether or not Oubre might be worth it. I'm not sure he is, but I get Moo's point that he's an upgrade in talent and if other positions and players are addressed first, I could see it.

And then I thought - what if where the Knicks get to with all that is a treadmill-ish low seed playoff team? Well, maybe that's not so bad IF the contracts are reasonable - where maybe that iteration of the team is only together for 2 years, because the contracts were such that the Knicks could relatively easily trade those players, or they expire.

We go over lots of different combinations of things on here, and roster construction matters - a lot, of course, but there are generally two categories of players - good ones and not good ones, and two categories of contracts - good ones and not good ones.

If Knicks stick to getting good players on good contracts, team will be in decent shape. And then what happens, who knows.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#154 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:49 am

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
N Y K wrote:I have no idea, I don't think anyone knows. Did you see Durant, Kyrie, and Harden in Brooklyn two years ago?

Knicks upgraded the treadmill

I'm just being difficult for fun.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,331

Post#155 » by Deeeez Knicks » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:13 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
robillionaire wrote:

Yea, seems like everyone is just being difficult.

We all know we are not going to tank/go full rebuild right now...we havent done so for the past 20+ years when we have mostly been bad. So def not going to do that after making the playoffs. Even if we end up being a treadmill playoff team, Dolan would probably be happy with that since its a huge improvement.

We have young players, picks, cap space at least...so ways to get better and keep upgrading that treadmill. Maybe get one of those high end treadmills....a few people around here could probably use some time on the treadmill after eating oreos all season
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#156 » by moocow007 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:45 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:

Pretty much right on.

Here's proof...

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2089784

Frank and Knox are big examples of the "youth movement"...and DSJr when he was here.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#157 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:18 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

Yea, seems like everyone is just being difficult.

We all know we are not going to tank/go full rebuild right now...we havent done so for the past 20+ years when we have mostly been bad. So def not going to do that after making the playoffs. Even if we end up being a treadmill playoff team, Dolan would probably be happy with that since its a huge improvement.

We have young players, picks, cap space at least...so ways to get better and keep upgrading that treadmill. Maybe get one of those high end treadmills....a few people around here could probably use some time on the treadmill after eating oreos all season

Yeah. I've been venting/making fun of people the last week.

But Moocow was pretty on point. The Knicks may have to get iteratively better before getting really better.

We all get the Knicks need a shot creating wing and/or PG.

They might not get both this offseason. They might get neither.
It's still ok for them to make moves that slightly improve the team, if that's all that is on offer.
I think they were a borderline playoff team as it is and other teams aren't going to stand pat.
Knicks need to improve a little just to make it back into the playoffs.

It sounds simple, but it's a matter of improving the roster but not capping the team out or not capping it out long term.
If the players they get are any good and paid correctly, they won't be impossible to move.

Targeting guys like Dunn or Oubre isn't the worst ideas, though Oubre should be coming as a 6th man

I mean, unless the Knicks are doing something wild, RJ and Randle are givens in the starting lineup.

That means the upgrades are happening at SG or SF (since RJ can move to either position), PG and MAYBE C.
Either the shot creator comes at wing or PG or both.

And actually, guys like Fournier or Powell aren't bad ideas, depending on the amount and length of contract.
Essentially get them from 28 to 31 or 32
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#158 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:24 pm

Roster construction:

PG/PG
WING/WING
WING/WING
PF/PF
C/C

Bench:WING/WING/WING/PG/C

PG/Rose
RJ/IQ
WING/WING
Randle/Obi
Mitch/C

Bench:Vildoza/WING/WING/PG/Taj

Fill in the 6 spots. I take it as a given that Rose and Taj come back on relatively "value" deals

*edit:

Needs:
Shot creators and shooters, maybe a stretch 5/4 kind of guy.
Assets: Picks #19,21,32 and about 40 million after Rose/Taj/picks get signed?

The shot creator has to be a wing or the PG. So, that's either going in on someone like CP3 or Lowry and the $ get spent there, with a more budget/stopgap guy at wing, or the money gets spent at wing and the more budget guy is at PG.
More stretch 5 guy is a luxury - maybe that player is in the draft
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#159 » by nykballa2k4 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:58 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:
I have to think Wes is working those back channels as we speak... With the Kentucky connection we're an obvious fit for him. But I would not actively trade for that deal unless they really sweeten the pot. I think if you're looking to take a bad deal on Kemba would be the better option because he only has 1 year on short rest of bad production under his belt and he still had moments last year where he looked like his normal self. Also his archetype is a better fit with the roster than Wall's is. We need shot making in the playoffs. Kemba, when right, gives you that at an elite level.

If Wall is just cut loose he would be insane to not find his way onto a contender. MLE Lakers and a chance at a ring is better than a chance to start in NY for a best case 2nd round team.

Is it though? Yes he can challenge for a title, but he's not a natural fit there because LBJ and AD aren't natural shooters. Adding the 3rd non-shooter isn't exactly ideal to that and we saw what happened to Schroder when they actually got to the playoffs. He could never really get his footing and he probably cost himself tons of money this offseason.

Wall might look at it and say I can walk into the Knicks, with staff that is comfortable with him, be the starter, have the ball in my hands more and prove I can play on a winning team, stay healthy and also be able to showcase himself a little bit as well because the Knicks need another real ball handler. If he goes to the Lakers he has to sit back and watch LeBron and AD try to cook everything up and if it doesn't work out with them he's going to tank his value because they will bench him (see Drummond).

I think, in the scenario you're talking about the best situation for him would be the Clippers. They are desperate for some ball handling and playmaking away from PG and Kawhi. They are loaded with shooters for him to spray the ball out to which was always his best skill and they have enough defenders to cover for his lost ability on that end.

But at the end of the day money talks and the Knicks, if all else fails can give him a bigger pay day than any other team can.

It depends on if Wall wants to sacrifice an extra 5-10 million to play for a contender or get a chance at another bigger deal down the line by giving the Knicks good production as more of a focal point.

I don't think that matters. I believe that whatever is offered to Wall is taken from his last contract no? But I agree the Clippers could be more enticing. Miami is another option seeing as guys love to go there, play on the beach, pay no taxes.

Wall isn't a terrible shooter and I think LeBron wants a guy who can basically do all the work and let him be a shooter. Recall last year worked really well with Rondo.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#160 » by nykballa2k4 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:24 pm

Chislic wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
Chislic wrote:If we strike out with big name talent, I'd like to see us at the very least upgrade talent. Go all in for 2022 offseason.

Payton (10.1pts, 3.4reb, 3.2ast) ----> Malcolm Brogdon (21.2pts, 5.3reb, 5.9ast) Pacers fire sale??
Noel (5.1pts, 6.4reb, 2.2blk) ----> Richaun Holmes (14.2pts, 8.3reb, 1.6 blk)
Bullock (10.9pts, 3.4reb) ----> Kelly Oubre jr (15.4pts, 6reb)

More offense, rebounding, assists, athleticism and youth.

Brogdon/Rose
RJ/Quickly
Oubre/Bullock
Randle/Toppin
Robinson/Holmes

So you consider going from a %41 3pt shooter to a %31.6 3pt shooter an upgrade?

Percentages fluctuate. I'm betting on Bullock's percentage going down and Oubre's going up. We'd still have Bullock, but on the bench providing solid D. Who was the best permitter bench defender last year?

2019-20
Kelly Oubre jr 35.2%
Reggie Bullock 33.3%

I don't think Bullock is going anywhere. I am pretty confident in penning in Thibs binkies Taj, Bullock, Rose for next year

Mitch/XX/Taj/Pelle*
Randle/Obi
XX/Bullock/Knox
RJ/IQ
XX/Rose/Luca
* - could be cut, made 2-way

We got the 2 FRP to play with, not married to Knox no matter how much he is talked up in the media (Thibs talked up Frank and Knox all season, playing time didn't match the praise), I think Randle can be moved for the right deal.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate

Return to New York Knicks