LAC/BOS - Kemba to Clippers

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

LAC/BOS - Kemba to Clippers 

Post#1 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:36 am

Clippers trade:
Marcus Morris
Luke Kennard

Boston trade:
Kemba Walker

Why for Clippers? They have too many wings compared to guards, so they go for a creator in Kemba and hope he can regain all star form, as a team in win now mode around Kawhi and George. They trade one of the longest contracts in the league in Morris and Kennard so it's not really that bad of a risk.

Why for Boston? It looks like they need to trade Kemba, unfortunately Kemba's contract is bad. They get Marcus Morris back and try Kennard in their system.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,955

Re: LAC/BOS - Kemba to Clippers 

Post#2 » by ejftw » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:12 am

I think I'd rather give Reggie Jackson starter minutes and the amount of shots Kemba would ask for while keeping Mook.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,399

Post#3 » by Mavrelous » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:31 am

This might be possible if Clippers retain Batum, and even then, they'd retain Jackson at much lower risk.
It'll depend on their outcome this year, if they fail again, they'll look for a big name guard to add.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#4 » by Prokorov » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:42 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:Clippers trade:
Marcus Morris
Luke Kennard

Boston trade:
Kemba Walker

Why for Clippers? They have too many wings compared to guards, so they go for a creator in Kemba and hope he can regain all star form, as a team in win now mode around Kawhi and George. They trade one of the longest contracts in the league in Morris and Kennard so it's not really that bad of a risk.

Why for Boston? It looks like they need to trade Kemba, unfortunately Kemba's contract is bad. They get Marcus Morris back and try Kennard in their system.

I hate this for the clippers.... especially since we just saw how poorly kemba worked with tatum/brown, who are similar stylistically to PG/Kawhi.

Losing morris would be a blow to the clippers, and there is also 0 chance he would want to come back to boston... he couldnt leave fast enough
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,317

Post#5 » by hugepatsfan » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:52 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Marcus Morris
Luke Kennard

Boston trade:
Kemba Walker

I hate this for the clippers.... especially since we just saw how poorly kemba worked with tatum/brown, who are similar stylistically to PG/Kawhi.

Losing morris would be a blow to the clippers, and there is also 0 chance he would want to come back to boston... he couldnt leave fast enough

Last part isn't really true. He's explicitly stated that he wanted to go back and was upset they didn't contact him. Sounds like he still has hard feelings so maybe he wouldn't come back, but it's not really true that he bolted out of town.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#6 » by hugepatsfan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:16 am

I get why people put Morris in a BOS-LAC deal. It balances money. HOWEVER, the reason why the Clippers even get talked about as a Kemba destination on here is because in theory they are a team willing to pay the albatross contract to still get good on court production that Kemba brings. Dealing away a good player who plays kind of a unique role they don't have a replacement for in Morris is contradictory to that.

Additionally, if BOS takes on Kennard and Morris they are actually taking on extra financial obligations and extending their financial woes an extra year for the 3rd year on those deals. It would help luxury tax hits the next couple of years and they could conceivably move one or both of those deals for a more moderate cost, so I think BOS would still do it, but including Morris does reduce the financial incentive for BOS which is the whole reason they want to move Kemba to begin with. And honestly, they're probably better off taking their medicine the next two years and letting Kemba expire vs taking on over $30M in commitments in that 3rd year where they could be out of the woods with patience on Kemba.

IMO, a more realistic deal would be...

LAC gets: G Kemba Walker, G Payton Pritchard, #16 pick, rights to swap in 2022 or later (top 10 protected)
BOS gets: G Luke Kennard, G Patrick Beverly, G Rajon Rondo

I am assuming that Kemba would waive his trade kicker knowing he's at high risk of being moved somewhere a lot less desirable. If that's the case, the financial details are as follows:

For '21-22, LAC is taking on Kemba/#16 for a combined $39,230,880. Kennard/Rondo/PatBev will make a combined $35,298,240. So LAC is taking on an extra $3,932,640.

For '22-23, LAC is taking on Kemba/#16 for a combined $41,028,780. Kennard will be on the books for $13,745,455. So LAC is taking on an additional $27,283,325.

For '23-24, LAC is taking on #16 for $3,536,400. Kennard will be on the books for $14,763,636. SO LAC is saving $11,227,236.

Netted all out, LAC is taking on an additional $19,988,729 over the deal. The 3rd year where they save money is where repeater rates will kick in for them so it is advantageous to pull some of that forward. But cash is king so they get the extra pick which could help them since they have so few assets left. On the court, Kemba is still a good player and a sizable improvement for them.

For BOS, they need to feel that they have plans with the added flexibility these next two years that justify giving up their pick.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Post#7 » by Rapcity_11 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:15 am

Prokorov wrote:
Marcus Morris
Luke Kennard

Boston trade:
Kemba Walker

Was Kemba poor with Tatum/Brown?

19/5/4 per 36 on 57.3% TS in the playoffs last year. Those 3 had a +6.9 net rating together. Kemba had the hightest Ortg on the team (big minute players only).
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#8 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:32 am

I’d rather Beverly for the Celtics because he’s an expiring I believe
ejftw
General Manager

Post#9 » by ejftw » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:38 am

MagicBagley18 wrote:I’d rather Beverly for the Celtics because he’s an expiring I believe

Clippers wouldn't do this, let alone with Bev involved.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#10 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:43 am

ejftw wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:I’d rather Beverly for the Celtics because he’s an expiring I believe

Beverly sucks I only want him for the expiring money but that’s really fine I respect your opinion
ejftw
General Manager

Post#11 » by ejftw » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:31 am

MagicBagley18 wrote:
ejftw wrote:

Beverly sucks I only want him for the expiring money but that’s really fine I respect your opinion

I mean, it's not like Kemba isn't atrocious and makes what, 2.5 times more.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,290

Post#12 » by babyjax13 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:15 am

Kemba to the Clippers makes more sense than just about any possible trade this offseason involving these bloated stars. I'm not sure I love the fit because they have a huuuuuge problem with ball movement, so I almost think it could be worth a shot to trade for Wall instead, but this seems fine as a backup option. Also, I have a feeling LAC values Morris quite a bit, even though they really should not.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#13 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:33 am

Marcus Morris
Luke Kennard

Boston trade:
Kemba Walker

I'd say that Kennard badly needs a change of scenery. Didn't Morris play for Boston at one time.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#14 » by Wolveswin » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:32 am

I think Beverley + Morris makes most sense.

Celtics can start Morris at PF and Beverley gives them an expiring contract to consolidate trade (plus youth and picks) for true PG upgrade.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,067

Post#15 » by Laimbeer » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:14 pm

Doesn't taking on more money for 22-23 put a big dent into what the Clippers need/want to do the summer of 2022? I just don't think Kemba is what they had in mind.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#16 » by JediMasterRevan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:35 pm

Beverly and KEnnard for Kemba is the best deal, imo, for both teams.

Morris is important to the clippers and I doubt Boston wants him back.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#17 » by hugepatsfan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:41 pm

Laimbeer wrote:Doesn't taking on more money for 22-23 put a big dent into what the Clippers need/want to do the summer of 2022? I just don't think Kemba is what they had in mind.

Not sure what you had in mind...

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/los-angeles-clippers/cap/2022/

Spotrac has them at $82M in salaries for '22-23 but that's before Kawhi. Obviously they'd be planning to bring him back which would alone take them over the cap.

If they intend to do anything major that summer it would have to be by trade, in which case having Kemba's huge expiring deal could actually help facilitate, fwiw.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,399

Post#18 » by Mavrelous » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:57 pm

PatBev/Rondo/Ibaka for Kemba/RWIII
Celtics replace Kemba with expirings, one of them is a good center, and bite the bullet on letting Robert Williams go, who would service the Clippers as small ball C, Kemba is better than PatBev/Rondo who are deadweight on a tax repeater team, and shouldn't be there.

Clippers split their tax MLE on Batum/Jackson
Kemba/Jackson
George/Kennard
Kawhi/Mann
Morris/Batum
Zubac/RW

That's a very good team, the only problem is that it costs 160 million over 2 years before tax, which would be heavy, even on Ballmer.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down

Return to Trades and Transactions