Does Donovan Mitchell's domination of the Clippers call into question Luka's greatness?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

lotus123
Ballboy
And1: 18

Re: Does Donovan Mitchell's domination of the Clippers call into question Luka's greatness? 

Post#21 » by lotus123 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:27 am

Shock Defeat wrote:We have seen Mitchell get everything that he wants in two games vs the Clippers. This seems to indicate that any all star guard could do this against the Clippers' defense. Does this make Luka's performance against them less impressive? Especially considering he blew a 2-0 lead needing to win 2 more games to win the series but losing all 3 games at home. Did Luka become way overrated after his 1st round performance?

Yes.
seanbig
RealGM
And1: 3,876

Re: Does Donovan Mitchell's domination of the Clippers call into question Luka's greatness? 

Post#22 » by seanbig » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:28 am

This isn’t tennis :banghead:

Imagine if Golbert was a Mav

Maytrix championship time
Official 1,000,000 post crew
Raptor95,Seanbig,Spykelee,ClutchCarter,
aRapsFan4eva,Koz RJC, MAS, Slowlydrowningme,bigdub,GQstylin
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,276

Post#23 » by celticfan42487 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:29 am

Welp, I guess I now have 2 big takeaways from the playoffs this year.

1) This is the softest they've ever called the playoffs and if you're under 6'6" you're getting Dwhistle by default and it's horrible.
2) The General Board thread quality that is normally reserved for painful months of the off season with no news is apparently now the default for the playoffs.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,329

Post#24 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:30 am

Haha so weird that the conclusion you come to is that Luka isn’t impressive. Not, “hey this Donovan Mitchell dude is looking like a special kind of player when the lights are bright.”

Looking at last year and now this year, bubble/playoff Mitchell is a blast to watch. He’s up there with Curry/Kyrie for me as guards I love to watch when their game is clicking on all cylinders.
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#25 » by BallerTalk » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:31 am

Shock Defeat wrote:We have seen Mitchell get everything that he wants in two games vs the Clippers. This seems to indicate that any all star guard could do this against the Clippers' defense. Does this make Luka's performance against them less impressive? Especially considering he blew a 2-0 lead needing to win 2 more games to win the series but losing all 3 games at home. Did Luka become way overrated after his 1st round performance?

Nah, that happened long before then.
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
CallMeKahn
Starter
And1: 1,682

Post#26 » by CallMeKahn » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:32 am

Can we wait for the series to be over before we start crapping on Luka?
daoneandonly wrote:Utah doesnt have anyhting close value wise to get Dallas to even pick up the phone

Said in reference to Utah's trade assets in a potential Doncic deal.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,054

Post#27 » by Rauxcee » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:32 am

Absolutely. Everyone knows you can only have 1 great player at a time. There is no way that 2 great players could possibly exist at the same time.
KodiakBear
Sixth Man
And1: 2,031

Post#28 » by KodiakBear » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:32 am

Or how about Donovan Mitchell is the most underrated player in the league and one of the best players in the league.

The guy has had an incredible 4 year career. He basically entered the league as an all star and has only gotten better since. We are talking about a guy who had three 50 pt playoff games last year. He is a special talent, probably top 5 in the league.
The Warrior
Head Coach
And1: 10,093

Post#29 » by The Warrior » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:33 am

How do you conclude this based on the sample size? What an absurd statement. Mitchell playing great can be exclusive to him simply being that good and the same goes for Luka. It doesn’t mean Luka is overrated. Terrible hot take. You should work for ESPN.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
MrOrange
Senior
And1: 417

Post#30 » by MrOrange » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:35 am

None of the two guys are great until they win something in this league. Wrong question.
bamheat
Senior
And1: 1,152

Post#31 » by bamheat » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:36 am

Realgm has become a satire forum.

80% of these threads are Onion quality.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,677

Post#32 » by Dupp » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:48 am

Nope.

Bubble Donny is great and besides, he has way more help.
Golden Knight
Analyst
And1: 4,965

Post#33 » by Golden Knight » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:56 am

bamheat wrote:Realgm has become a satire forum.

80% of these threads are Onion quality.

I'm actually starting to think some of the guys here gets paid to do this. :lol:
TheDavinciCHODE
Sixth Man
And1: 1,858

Post#34 » by TheDavinciCHODE » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:57 am

No, this is the NBA in 2021. If you can make 3s and get to the rim, then you can score at will and there's nothing anyone can do to stop you.

Also, I wonder if there's some underlying strategy here. Just make the main guy do everything on every posession and ware him down. Luka was getting gassed by the 3rd and especially 4th of every game.

I'd much rather Luka take every shot, make every pass, etc, then what the Nets were doing to the Bucks the first two games of their series.

Endless ball movement eventually leads to wide open 3s or lob dunks. I'd rather Luka get to the rim and at least have to shoot some turn around fadeaways or make some tough finishes instead of wide open shots all the time.

IDK what I'm talking about
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,329

Post#35 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:01 am

MrOrange wrote:None of the two guys are great until they win something in this league. Wrong question.

What do you mean? You don’t have to win a ring to be a get player. Chuck never “won anything” doesn’t mean he’s not a great player.

Watching Luka and Donovan in back 2 back playoffs just light up their opponents is enough for me to know these guys are high tier players.

And again it’s not like these guys are doing it against a horrible defensive backcourt like Portland or something. You’d think if there was a team that these guys would struggle with in the playoffs, its the team with Kawhi, PG, Morris, Beverly and so on. Plenty of different high end defenders they can throw at these perimeter guys.

Sometimes you just gotta sit back and enjoy the new group of high end players showing up in the playoffs.
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Post#36 » by jlokine » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:06 am

they won by 3 pts in game 1 and won by 6 pts in game 2.. i wouldnt call it "domination"
Xsy
Analyst
And1: 2,237

Post#37 » by Xsy » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:15 am

Why do people refuse to accept that Mitchell, Gobert, and the Jazz in general, are good at basketball?

Instead of asking "Is Luka actually good if Mitchell is doing this as well?", it's probably better to assume that both Luka and Mitchell are good.

I swear, It's never about how well Utah plays, it's always about how bad the other team must be in order to lose against them.
Jazz on your face.
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer
And1: 894

Post#38 » by bubonicphoniks » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:16 am

What does Luka have to do with anything?

We gotta really chill with the Luka stuff guys.

Please.

Sent from my SM-G998U using RealGM mobile app
reamily
Senior
And1: 87

Post#39 » by reamily » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:19 am

PrinceAli wrote:Nah. Just makes Porzingis look even more pathetic though when Gobert eats on the boards against the Clippers

:D it was even more pathetic when boban has greater rebounding percentages..
Got Nuffin
Pro Prospect
And1: 877

Post#40 » by Got Nuffin » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:24 am

No, but if Bison Dele was still in the NBA and turned into an actual Bison for game 4 it would call into question Luka's greatness for sure.

Return to The General Board