Is Embiid the successor of Wilt's greatness? (Video Comparison)

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Is Embiid the successor of Wilt's greatness?

Yes
10%
No
90%

Total votes: 30

70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,475

Is Embiid the successor of Wilt's greatness? (Video Comparison) 

Post#1 » by 70sFan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:48 am

Do you agree with the premise? They don't play identical, but there are some similarities. Enjoy the video and the discussion! :)
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,221

Re: Is Embiid the successor of Wilt's greatness? (Video Comparison) 

Post#2 » by EArl » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:51 am

im pretty sure Shaq was his successor. You could argue that Embiid is Shaq or Hakeems successor.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
coastalmarker99
Starter
And1: 2,172

Post#3 » by coastalmarker99 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:27 am

Shaq and Wilt played two very different games

Wilt especially in his Warrior days was an absolute monster on the fastbreak due to his unreal speed and you can see an example of that in this video.

Also, Wilt was a finesse player (words straight out of Jim Barnett). Finger rolls, hook shots, fadeaway banker, etc. these are all skills he mastered to average 40+ points for half his career. He actively avoided dunking to avoid being seen as a brute. He also dealt with less offensive physicality built into the 60s rules, unlike Shaq who could get away with offensive fouls all the time.
Reggie Jackson is amazing and a killer in the clutch that's all.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#4 » by 70sFan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:43 am

coastalmarker99 wrote:Shaq and Wilt played two very different games

Wilt especially in his Warrior days was an absolute monster on the fastbreak due to his unreal speed and you can see an example of that in this video.

Also, Wilt was a finesse player (words straight out of Jim Barnett). Finger rolls, hook shots, fadeaway banker, etc. these are all skills he mastered to average 40+ points for half his career. He actively avoided dunking to avoid being seen as a brute. He also dealt with less offensive physicality built into the 60s rules, unlike Shaq who could get away with offensive fouls all the time.

I get it and I agree, but to be fair Orlando Shaq was very good transition player himself and Shaq also had variety of post moves.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Post#5 » by JN61 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:22 am

Weird to compare Embiid to Wilt. Embiid isn't even remotely an athlete Wilt was.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#6 » by 70sFan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:25 am

JN61 wrote:Weird to compare Embiid to Wilt. Embiid isn't even remotely an athlete Wilt was.

It's true, although they are similar size and Embiid is quite skilled for such a giant.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,343

Post#7 » by 76ciology » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:27 am

There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#8 » by VDT » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:37 am

JN61 wrote:Weird to compare Embiid to Wilt. Embiid isn't even remotely an athlete Wilt was.

Depends on what you based that on and on what Wilt (age, weight) you are comparing him with. I generally feel that Embiid is the more fluid athlete and he is quicker in limited space.
Hussien Fatal
Veteran
And1: 1,372

Post#9 » by Hussien Fatal » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:42 am

Joel is a hybrid mix between Dirk and Shaq mixed with a little Hakeem. He is the most skilled center of all time.
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
70sFan
RealGM

Post#10 » by 70sFan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:56 am

Hussien Fatal wrote:Joel is a hybrid mix between Dirk and Shaq mixed with a little Hakeem. He is the most skilled center of all time.

I don't think Embiid is more skilled than Jokic or Kareem. If you count defense, then Duncan and Hakeem are more skilled as well. It also depends on how you view passing vs shooting, because Wilt was much better passer than Embiid.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Post#11 » by JN61 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:57 am

VDT wrote:

Depends on what you based that on and on what Wilt (age, weight) you are comparing him with. I generally feel that Embiid is the more fluid athlete and he is quicker in limited space.

I mean sure. Embiid reminds me of last 1-2 years of Wilt with his speed and explosives.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#12 » by 70sFan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:57 am

VDT wrote:

Embiid definitely isn't quicker than Wilt. Just look at two of them performing spin move in the post - Wilt looks far more explosive.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,529

Post#13 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:03 am

JN61 wrote:
VDT wrote:

I mean sure. Embiid reminds me of last 1-2 years of Wilt with his speed and explosives.

But late-career Wilt was a very solid passer.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
hauntedcomputer
Starter
And1: 3,670

Post#14 » by hauntedcomputer » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:09 pm

One guy doing it against Russell and Kareem is totes the same as doing it against Saric and DeAndre Jordan
+++
Schadenfreude is undefeated.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,037

Post#15 » by Lockdown504090 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:13 pm

hauntedcomputer wrote:One guy doing it against Russell and Kareem is totes the same as doing it against Saric and DeAndre Jordan

?
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,276

Post#16 » by celticfan42487 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:17 pm

It'd be more apt if he was someone that got shut down in the playoffs because his game didn't translate to post season success.

So, so far it's more like Giannis is the successor.

That said there also isn't a better Center in the league than Embiid that's going to make him his bitch so that might be the reason why.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,158

Post#17 » by PhilBlackson » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:20 pm

I see a lot more Hakeem in a Shaq like body than Wilt. Chamberlain was one of THE most ridiculous athletic physical specimens of all time. Joel is super gifted SKILLWISE but ATHLETICALLY he's not on Wilt's level.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
70sFan
RealGM

Post#18 » by 70sFan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:49 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:It'd be more apt if he was someone that got shut down in the playoffs because his game didn't translate to post season success.

That said there also isn't a better Center in the league than Embiid that's going to make him his bitch so that might be the reason why.

Wilt was very good postseason performer, he rarely underperformed if anything, despite facing the best defensive competition ever.
coastalmarker99
Starter
And1: 2,172

Post#19 » by coastalmarker99 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:26 pm

70sFan wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:It'd be more apt if he was someone that got shut down in the playoffs because his game didn't translate to post season success.

Wilt was very good postseason performer, he rarely underperformed if anything, despite facing the best defensive competition ever.

Wilt's worse games ever in the postseason when he underperformed relative to his legendary all-time play

Are

1960 ECF game 3

Game 6 of the 1968 ECF

Game 4 and 6 of the 1969 finals

Game 5 of the 1970 finals as he had 6 turnovers in the second half alone once Reed went down and the Knicks started swarming him every time he got the ball in the post.

Besides those games

Wilt was usually a monster playoff performer in big games such as game sevens and elimination games as the only player that performs equal to him stats-wise in those type of games is Lebron.
Reggie Jackson is amazing and a killer in the clutch that's all.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,213

Post#20 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:29 pm

I said no but I've seen worse comparisons (shaq listed here is worse). But yeah two way player who's impact is more on the defensive end than defensive end despite high ppg that often confuse people into over valuing their offense a bit.

Return to The General Board