Does Donovan Mitchell's domination of the Clippers call into question Luka's greatness?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

MrOrange
Senior
And1: 417

Re: Does Donovan Mitchell's domination of the Clippers call into question Luka's greatness? 

Post#41 » by MrOrange » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:26 am

reamily wrote:
PrinceAli wrote:Nah. Just makes Porzingis look even more pathetic though when Gobert eats on the boards against the Clippers

:D it was even more pathetic when boban has greater rebounding percentages..

How does even Porzingis creep up in those discussions? What'' s your problem? Your fatboy needs to get in shape before the next season.
reamily
Senior
And1: 87

Re: Does Donovan Mitchell's domination of the Clippers call into question Luka's greatness? 

Post#42 » by reamily » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:29 am

MrOrange wrote:
reamily wrote:
PrinceAli wrote:Nah. Just makes Porzingis look even more pathetic though when Gobert eats on the boards against the Clippers

:D it was even more pathetic when boban has greater rebounding percentages..

How does even Porzingis creep up in those discussions? What'' s your problem? Your fatboy needs to get in shape before the next season.
yes adding more trolling in luka stuff here he was so good like what realgmers say here
MrOrange
Senior

Post#43 » by MrOrange » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:30 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
MrOrange wrote:None of the two guys are great until they win something in this league. Wrong question.

What do you mean? You don’t have to win a ring to be a get player. Chuck never “won anything” doesn’t mean he’s not a great player.

Watching Luka and Donovan in back 2 back playoffs just light up their opponents is enough for me to know these guys are high tier players.

And again it’s not like these guys are doing it against a horrible defensive backcourt like Portland or something. You’d think if there was a team that these guys would struggle with in the playoffs, its the team with Kawhi, PG, Morris, Beverly and so on. Plenty of different high end defenders they can throw at these perimeter guys.

Sometimes you just gotta sit back and enjoy the new group of high end players showing up in the playoffs.

I think it is very premature to discuss the greatness of 2 players who have actually never reached their peak and are in the east of their 20ies.. have a career like Charles and we will talk about it.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,190

Post#44 » by Clemenza » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:35 am

Good/star guards have torched the Clipps all year long
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,468

Post#45 » by Pelly24 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:39 am

Donovan Mitchell is super dangerous when he gets hot. Also, the Clippers are completely unable to defend athletic guards. On the other hand, the Jazz are unable to defend explosive guards. Clippers don't have that, and and Bojan and them have been able to stay in front of PG and Kawhi for the most part.
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,185

Post#46 » by lambchop » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:42 am

The question is should the fact the Jazz got the 1st seed call into question Lukas skills and leadership? If Luka were truly great, the Mavs would have easily finished first. Dude just seems average at this point. RealGM likes to hype Luka up, when in fact it was Barea and Michael Finley carrying most of the load against the Clippers.

As for Mitchell, I dont think he will make it in the league. I watched his middle school highlights and it seems as though he doesnt have an NBA body.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,160

Post#47 » by Impuniti » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:47 am

lambchop wrote:The question is should the fact the Jazz got the 1st seed call into question Lukas skills and leadership? If Luka were truly great, the Mavs would have easily finished first. Dude just seems average at this point. RealGM likes to hype Luka up, when in fact it was Barea and Michael Finley carrying most of the load against the Clippers.

As for Mitchell, I dont think he will make it in the league. I watched his middle school highlights and it seems as though he doesnt have an NBA body.

Don't quit your day job.
MrOrange
Senior

Post#48 » by MrOrange » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:51 am

Look, I think Utah will take the series not because of DM but because of Snyder who has finally put together a strong team. The discussion of DM vs LD is irrelevant. And yes, to all the Luka fans: make someone put the Fatboy Slim on a diet so that he does not fade away in the 4th. You perfectly know I am right.
LastNameEver
General Manager
And1: 9,498

Post#49 » by LastNameEver » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:02 am

Spida is fulfilling that poor mans Wade comparison, only he has the benefit of being in a more perimeter featured era.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#51 » by lars_rosenberg » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:28 am

Mitchell was unreal in the playoffs last year as well, so this is more indicative of what a good playoff performer he is rather than a knock on Luka's performance.
SunsLyf3
Sixth Man
And1: 1,553

Post#52 » by SunsLyf3 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:34 am

Clippers don't have a true rim protector. Teams aren't afraid of attacking them.
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,205

Post#53 » by deneem4 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:43 am

No it just shows how Kwahi can control an offense defensively
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
Openheimer
Sixth Man
And1: 1,100

Post#54 » by Openheimer » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:03 am

Mitchell is hell of a player. Borderline top 12
Gusto1903
Sixth Man
And1: 2,338

Post#55 » by Gusto1903 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:09 am

I saw the highlights this morning. The first couple of minutes, he did the same move/play 3 times in a row and got 8 points out of it lol
On the Alperen Sengün hypetrain since 2020
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,832

Post#56 » by Joao Saraiva » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:11 am

No. It just means Donovan is probably a bit underrated as a scorer, he's showing he can play at elite levels in the playoffs.

The series is definitely not over, but if the Jazz go trough it just means Mitchell's cast is better than Luka's. Probably only 2 players besides Luka would make the rotation in Utah. That says a lot about the strenght of the casts.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,064

Post#57 » by FJS » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:25 am

Mitchell is doing his thing in 3 rounds in a row. Denver last year, grizz and clippers this year.
This only means one thing. This kid is pretty good.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Post#58 » by JN61 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:22 am

Remember when people were telling me off for saying Mitchell was the best player on the Jazz? I remember...
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
MavfanAus
Analyst
And1: 2,302

Post#59 » by MavfanAus » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:41 am

DCasey91 wrote:Frankly I’m starting to question the intelligence of this forum.

Yep, it's all about getting attention with hot take threads or and1 chasing.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,220

Post#60 » by PistolPeteJR » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:47 am

DCasey91 wrote:Frankly I’m starting to question the intelligence of this forum.

Return to The General Board