NYG's Buncha Off-Season Things

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,546

Re: NYG's Buncha Off-Season Things 

Post#21 » by NYG » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:54 am

Xman wrote:I think Isaiah Jackson goes top 10. Not many 6'11 guys in this draft with his athletic skills. could be great.

Yeah... Kai or Jackson to Charlotte is a toss up. Center in the NBA Draft is now just the Running Back of the NFL Draft, you got to have a unicorn skill set or you can be found later, but yeah I love Isaiah Jackson. I just didn't see the fit.
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,905

Post#22 » by Dn4sty » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:27 am

OKC will have to do something significant to get to the salary floor.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,895

Post#23 » by K_chile22 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:32 am

Dn4sty wrote:OKC will have to do something significant to get to the salary floor.
Why? There's no penalty for not getting there
Dn4sty
Analyst

Post#24 » by Dn4sty » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:46 am

K_chile22 wrote:
Dn4sty wrote:OKC will have to do something significant to get to the salary floor.
Why? There's no penalty for not getting there

I would say because teams will want to get off salary and would attach assets to do so.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#25 » by E S V L » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:48 am

NYG wrote:
E S V L wrote:
NYG wrote:
What are the Grizzlies needs? I may have them wrong.

Let me then be concise. As Memphis already have a full roster for the next season, they will consider only 3 options:
1. Trading up from #17
2. Any future picks no matter how remote.
3. Superstar.

That is it.

So if you go the cap space route, you would be more likely to take on a bad-ish contract with assets/picks as incentive than you would be to use it on a guy like Fournier?

You got it 100% right.

NYG wrote:Where do you think Fournier makes sense?

New York
FK NFL
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,790

Post#26 » by psman2 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:58 am

I think if we really would consider paying Fournier that kind of salary (which I don't) then we just go ahead and overpay Powell 4/100 and steal him away from Portland.

I rather sell our cap space for picks as well if there is a way to do it.
StreakyJ
Sophomore
And1: 35

Post#27 » by StreakyJ » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:27 am

E S V L wrote:Stop sending Fournier to Memphis. There is no f...g chance it might happen.

Agreed generally on the thoroughness of the post, appreciated. Notes:

--I will stop watching NBA basketball if anyone pays Fournier anywhere near $22M. What flavor crack is that? Gary Trent Jr drops 50 and is a consistently solid physical defender and he gets $4M less? No way on god's green earth. Not to mention I hate Fournier's game overall (doesn't make his teammates better trying to create his vacuum looks) and he's a bit of a prima donna pretentious whiny French biatch as if he and Austin Rivers should spend more time together. I'd seriously dislike Gobert in the same fashion except he's more subdued with his French biatchiness and he's DPOY talent year in year out.

--Kemba better in Detroit where he's back on an island of sorts crowd-wise which is more his animal. I don't think Houston's his scene, though I don't mind the trade for Wall. What I think it better is, if Boston's ready to split Tatum and Brown, as each needs his own team to truly thrive the way they're meant to, is to package Brown with Kemba to Detroit and get Jerami Grant in return. (You heard it here first -- Motown Brown a.k.a. Mo'Brown).

--Westbrook much better in New Orleans to make life easier for Zion. And I'm not trading Adams, whose salary drops to $18M, for an aging Horford at twice the cost, nooooooo way. LAC doesn't need the pressure of another huge contract that can't hit a late game 3 when it matters, especially if they don't win a title this year (unless they rid of PG and keep Kawhi, then fine bring on Westbrook).

--NPowell better in Miami where Jimmy Butler gives him green light for volume offense as a more potent/physical option that fits their culture/style. Could Herro convert to point guard? Could solve the KNunn/Dragic issue.

--Prefer Dragic in Chicago and Dinwiddie to Knicks

--I'm not trading Ben Simmons and Maxey for Beal, hell no. Beal is not a culture changing player a.k.a. his scoring doesn't translate to the W/L column, he doesn't affect the game defensively. Beal's a luxury player for and already good team. Phili loses more than it gains in this trade.

--Lowry might choose LAC over Miami if they can pay him (if you had Westbrook going there, Lowry is arguably the better choice at cost and better fit with Kawhi).

--Sac trading for Porzingis is dumb of Sac, as he'll pout the whole time he's there. He doesn't want to play there. I literally think Portland because it's an outcast player city. They might like his little narcissist sociopath pouter bit if gets back to putting up numbers. I don't know what team honestly wants him at this point at his cost. He's a negative culturally aside from maybe his first 2 years.

--Olynyk chooses to go back home to Toronto a hero? They need much of what he brings (passing/shooting/smart pick'n'roll or pop).

--A team might be willing to overpay for TrentJr (Memphis) over what Toronto is willing to spend.

--DeRozan can get a 1+1 (TeamOption) for $50M outside SA, though he should give Popovich $3M for not babysitting him to help him get over himself and play to his potential last year.

--Not paying Lonzo or JCollins max money. Lonzo doesn't want to be in NO, why would you pay him max dollars there? Would be a terrible decision. JCollins is a 2-3 years away from max money. Make him earn it by showing he's consistent year over year. Tre makes his life easier, generally.
aguiar95
Rookie
And1: 548

Post#28 » by aguiar95 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:44 am

NYG wrote:
What if it wasn't Holmes? What other centers make sense? Wood for Bagley and Brunson in this scenario?

Hield and Wood to Dallas
KP to Sacramento
Bagley and Brunson to Houston

If not Holmes I'd try Nurkic, Poeltl or WCJ for trades or Theis/Olynyk/Hartenstein on FA (in this scenario we keep Bagley). Feels like JV, Wood and Turner will be very expensive.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#29 » by E S V L » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:59 am

Spoiler:
StreakyJ wrote:
E S V L wrote:Stop sending Fournier to Memphis. There is no f...g chance it might happen.

--I will stop watching NBA basketball if anyone pays Fournier anywhere near $22M. What flavor crack is that? Gary Trent Jr drops 50 and is a consistently solid physical defender and he gets $4M less? No way on god's green earth. Not to mention I hate Fournier's game overall (doesn't make his teammates better trying to create his vacuum looks) and he's a bit of a prima donna pretentious whiny French biatch as if he and Austin Rivers should spend more time together. I'd seriously dislike Gobert in the same fashion except he's more subdued with his French biatchiness and he's DPOY talent year in year out.

--Kemba better in Detroit where he's back on an island of sorts crowd-wise which is more his animal. I don't think Houston's his scene, though I don't mind the trade for Wall. What I think it better is, if Boston's ready to split Tatum and Brown, as each needs his own team to truly thrive the way they're meant to, is to package Brown with Kemba to Detroit and get Jerami Grant in return. (You heard it here first -- Motown Brown a.k.a. Mo'Brown).

--Westbrook much better in New Orleans to make life easier for Zion. And I'm not trading Adams, whose salary drops to $18M, for an aging Horford at twice the cost, nooooooo way. LAC doesn't need the pressure of another huge contract that can't hit a late game 3 when it matters, especially if they don't win a title this year (unless they rid of PG and keep Kawhi, then fine bring on Westbrook).

--NPowell better in Miami where Jimmy Butler gives him green light for volume offense as a more potent/physical option that fits their culture/style. Could Herro convert to point guard? Could solve the KNunn/Dragic issue.

--Prefer Dragic in Chicago and Dinwiddie to Knicks

--I'm not trading Ben Simmons and Maxey for Beal, hell no. Beal is not a culture changing player a.k.a. his scoring doesn't translate to the W/L column, he doesn't affect the game defensively. Beal's a luxury player for and already good team. Phili loses more than it gains in this trade.

--Lowry might choose LAC over Miami if they can pay him (if you had Westbrook going there, Lowry is arguably the better choice at cost and better fit with Kawhi).

--Sac trading for Porzingis is dumb of Sac, as he'll pout the whole time he's there. He doesn't want to play there. I literally think Portland because it's an outcast player city. They might like his little narcissist sociopath pouter bit if gets back to putting up numbers. I don't know what team honestly wants him at this point at his cost. He's a negative culturally aside from maybe his first 2 years.

--Olynyk chooses to go back home to Toronto a hero? They need much of what he brings (passing/shooting/smart pick'n'roll or pop).

--A team might be willing to overpay for TrentJr (Memphis) over what Toronto is willing to spend.

--DeRozan can get a 1+1 (TeamOption) for $50M outside SA, though he should give Popovich $3M for not babysitting him to help him get over himself and play to his potential last year.

--Not paying Lonzo or JCollins max money. Lonzo doesn't want to be in NO, why would you pay him max dollars there? Would be a terrible decision. JCollins is a 2-3 years away from max money. Make him earn it by showing he's consistent year over year. Tre makes his life easier, generally.

That’s an outstanding piece of art. Really mean so.
FK NFL
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,034

Post#30 » by Mavrelous » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:01 pm

Fournier will not get 88/4, his 72/4 was a mistake, he may end up with the MLE TBH, Boston won't S&T him, they are tax payers, and teams with cap will look elsewhere, maybe if the Lakers go nuts and send KCP/Kuzma/Trez to Boston for Kemba/Fournier (who's better than all 3).
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,181

Post#31 » by BBallFreak » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:05 pm

NYG wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:Interesting.

What do you see happening with Victor Oladipo and Kendrick Nunn?

Does Oladipo keep his bird rights if he re-signs with the cap MLE? Is it that bad yet? Honestly, I think he signs 1 year, full MLE somewhere. For that price he's worth the one year risk more so than a lot of other guys we'll see here. I just don't think Riley doubles down and pays him over a guy like Lowry.

Nunn's/Roibnson's cap holds could probably sustain even with the Lowry deal so he probably re-signs at like 4/40?
For that price, I feel like Miami should try and keep him. A perimeter of Oladipo, Lowry, and Butler with Robinson, Nunn, and Herro off the bench might be something to see, though I could also see us packing Herro and Achiuwa up for a starting caliber power forward, resigning Dedmon and Strus for the bench, and maybe letting Okpala loose on the league.

Not sure what our offseason plan is. How much do we let loose and how much do we keep? Could be a massive overhaul or just trying to squeeze Oladipo and Lowry in with what we already have...
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 2,984

Post#32 » by daoneandonly » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:28 pm

Really dont like the end result for the Mavs. Hield, Markanan, and THJ making big money together, who's playing defense on that team?
NYG
RealGM

Post#33 » by NYG » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:48 pm

After the discussion, I likely need to change the following in red...

NYG wrote:Playoff Results
76ers over Hawks
Nets over Bucks
Jazz over Clippers
Suns over Nuggets

Nets over 76ers
Jazz over Suns

Jazz over Nets

Coach Hirings
Boston Celtics hire David Vanterpool
Indiana Pacers hire Brett Brown
Milwaukee Bucks hire Mike D'Antoni
New Orleans Pelicans hire Kenny Atkinson
Orlando Magic hire Adrian Griffin
Portland Trail Blazers hire Chauncey Billups
San Antonio Spurs hire Mike Budenholzer
Washington Wizards hire Sam Cassell

Draft Lottery (with simulated order)
1. Oklahoma City Thunder - Cade Cunningham
2. Houston Rockets - Evan Mobley
3. Orlando Magic - Jalen Suggs
4. Sacramento Kings - Jalen Green
5. Detroit Pistons - Jonathan Kuminga
6. Cleveland Cavaliers - Scottie Barnes
7. Golden State Warriors (via Minnesota Timberwolves) - Keon Johnson
8. Toronto Raptors - Davion Mitchell
9. Orlando Magic (via Chicago Bulls) - Corey Kispert
10. New Orleans Pelicans - Moses Moody
11. Charlotte Hornets - Kai Jones
12. San Antonio Spurs - Franz Wagner
13. Indiana Pacers - Jalen Johnson
14. Golden State Warriors - Josh Giddey

Free Agents Above $20 Million 2021-22 Salary
Chris Paul, Phoenix Suns (3 year, MAX)
Kawhi Leonard, Los Angeles Clippers (4 year, MAX)
Mike Conley, Utah Jazz (2 year, $50 Million)
Kyle Lowry, Miami Heat (2 year, $50 Million)
DeMar DeRozan, San Antonio Spurs (1+1 (TO), $50 Million)
Dennis Schröder, Los Angeles Lakers (4 year, $84 Million)
Evan Fournier, Memphis Grizzlies (4 year, $88 Million)
Norm Powell, Portland Trail Blazers (4 year, $88 Million)
Lonzo Ball, New Orleans Pelicans (4 year, MAX (matched Bulls/Knicks offer))
John Collins, Atlanta Hawks (4 year, MAX (matched Spurs offer))
Gary Trent Jr., Toronto Raptors (4 year, $92 Million)
Jarrett Allen, Cleveland Cavaliers (4 year, $92 Million)

Free Agents Above $10 Million/Below $20 Million 2021-22 Salary
Goran Dragic, New York Knicks (1+1 (TO), $30 Million)
Tim Hardaway Jr., Dallas Mavericks (4 year, $64 Million)
Kelly Oubre Jr., New York Knicks (1+1 (TO), $30 Million)
Spencer Dinwiddie, Chicago Bulls (4 year, $64 Million)
Josh Richardson, New York Knicks (1+1 (TO), $26 Million)
Lauri Markkanen, Dallas Mavericks (4 year, $64 Million)
Richaun Holmes, Sacramento Kings (4 year, $64 Million)
Malik Monk, Charlotte Hornets (4 year, $56 Million)
Devonte' Graham, Charlotte Hornets (4 year, $56 Million)
Duncan Robinson, Miami Heat (4 year, $64 Million)
Kelly Olynyk, San Antonio Spurs (3 year, $39 Million)

Top 5 Trades
Ben Simmons and Tyrese Maxey for Bradley Beal (extended)

Russell Westbrook for Patrick Beverley, Luke Kennard, Marcus Morris and 25th Overall Draft Pick

Kristaps Porzingis for Buddy Hield and Marvin Bagley III

Al Horford for Eric Bledsoe and Steven Adams

John Wall and Eric Gordon for Kemba Walker, Tristan Thompson and Romeo Langford

Any other suggestions?
vetmin
Junior
And1: 131

Post#34 » by vetmin » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:52 pm

NYG wrote:After the discussion, I likely need to change the following in red...

76ers over Hawks
Nets over Bucks
Jazz over Clippers
Suns over Nuggets

Nets over 76ers
Jazz over Suns

Jazz over Nets

Coach Hirings

Top 5 Trades

Russell Westbrook for Patrick Beverley, Luke Kennard, Marcus Morris and 25th Overall Draft Pick

Any other suggestions?

Re: GSW: I think if you just give GSW Davion Mitchell and give TOR Keon Johnson, who is the higher upside prospect, that would work. TOR has a good squad, but I don’t think they have any expectation of quickly vaulting back into contention, so they should take BPA there. I expect that GSW will be deathly afraid of any rookie who needs any sort of hand-holding, and Mitchell seems like the most plug-and-play dude past the Top 5. GSW also has a need for more ball-handling / creation. Mitchell would be a good bench backcourt partner for Poole.
Dn4sty
Analyst

Post#35 » by Dn4sty » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:20 pm

NYG wrote:After the discussion, I likely need to change the following in red...

76ers over Hawks
Nets over Bucks
Jazz over Clippers
Suns over Nuggets

Nets over 76ers
Jazz over Suns

Jazz over Nets

Coach Hirings

Top 5 Trades

Any other suggestions?

OKC spending money somewhere
Dn4sty
Analyst

Post#36 » by Dn4sty » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:25 pm

StreakyJ wrote:

Can we discuss the actual post without trashing French players and the city of Portland? Seriously what is going on with this post?
E S V L
Analyst

Post#37 » by E S V L » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:29 pm

Dn4sty wrote:
StreakyJ wrote:

Can we discuss the actual post without trashing French players and the city of Portland? Seriously what is going on with this post?

Call him “white supremasist”, what are u waiting for?
FK NFL
StreakyJ
Sophomore
And1: 35

Post#38 » by StreakyJ » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:49 am

E S V L wrote:
Dn4sty wrote:
StreakyJ wrote:

Call him “white supremasist”, what are u waiting for?

Retorts:
1) Trashing French players --- just the ones who take their Frenchness too seriously a.k.a. entitled to be pretentiously prima donna (and yeah, Shaq has called Rudy out on it on more than one occasion, so no I'm not out on an island here). And I can cite (immediately come to mind) NBatum, TParker, RTuriat, BDiaw, MPietrus as good to great French ballers who's prima donna doesn't overshadow their game ... so in no way bashing all French players.

2) PTL -- city slogan "Keep Portland Weird" nuff said, wasn't a bash to say that outcast players are at times more accepted there culturally (one obvious reason people may not know is that PTL is subject to the same Seattle-overcast-constantly effect which breeds moodiness and seasonal affective disorder on its own, hence emotional volatility more tolerated generally). Player examples that come to mind: (1) LaMarcus Aldridge - very underratedly mercurial dude got little scrutiny on that front (even though it definitely lowered Portland's ceiling at times -- a very recent article has Aldridge admitting just that; fans still very much behind his tenure there (2) Rasheed and the JailBlazers ... little explanation needed (not the NBA's 'community mentor' model); fanbase totally behind that team, and I'd go so far to say many pure basketball fans still pissed that insanely talented team blew that lead to the Lakers (3) Bill Walton -- nuff said -- insanely good basketball player beloved in PTL -- one of the most grating and annoying sports personalities ever (and I grew up a tiedye wearing Grateful Dead fan, and I'm still wholly annoyed by him even not disagreeing his baskeball knowledge was tremendous ... he was that annoying). (4) Rehabbing Melo -- though his exile was a bit bull@%$, he still needed an egocheck, and PTL welcomed him.
POINT BEING: KP as the not terribly socially polished version he currently is could potentially find a supportive fanbase in PTL that he can let his hair down a bit (joke, his hair is cement), play moody if he needs in to learning to get over himself a bit, but like Melo FOCUS on getting back to basketball the way he knows how to play and put up numbers again. With the obvious bonus that he's gets an absolute A++ floor general in Dame leads moreso quietly by example and is nowhere near the "closet" spotlight seeker Luca is, as for all of Luca's basketball greatness, the ruse is fading fast of him playing all sides of the fence feigning uber-humble teammate while ball-dominant 30 shots a game is the reality with added team volatility with Luca manufacturing passivity (i.e. game 6) trying to "manage" team egos. It's like Luca doesn't get yet that MJ and Bird and Magic and Kobe are unbridled all-time great because they never pulled that "humble guy" bullsheeiitt and rather openly expressed their will toward greatness and didn't shy away from the accountability of it. Why Luca and KP can't play another season together (and Dallas mgmt is unwise to try) ... KP isn't mature enough for specific individual accountability yet, and Luca hasn't gotten there yet as the unapologetic leader that KP falls in behind a-la Scottie coming up under Michael's tenacity. It's going to take another couple of frustration playoff series outs for Luca the "nice guy" fakeness kills off completely and he goes full serial killer like a-la Donovan Mitchell is figuring out and Devon Booker is picking up quickly with Chris Paul and absolute catalyst. DWade visibly excited on DMitchell after a Utah playoff win, because he sees the killer gene is there with DMitchell like he himself had, speaks volumes. It's a different basketball galaxy than Steve Balmer spazzing out after every made basket. Luca needs to turn another corner yet, but I think he'll get there.

Most likely scenario for KP is a change of scenery and a reset that PTL can potentially provide, with the rightful "don't let the door hit you on the way out" from Dallas hopefully serving notice he doesn't have unlimited chances to get back to form. Thankfully Dame has loyalty from the franchise and is a true professional and positive feedback type guy that might help KP just play ball.
NYG
RealGM

Post#39 » by NYG » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:19 am

Cool cool.. so just no Fournier to Memphis and have Mitchell to Golden State on the next one..?
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,790

Post#40 » by psman2 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:34 am

NYG wrote:Cool cool.. so just no Fournier to Memphis and have Mitchell to Golden State on the next one..?

I would bet everything I own that Gary Trent Jr., Toronto Raptors (4 year, $92 Million) is a huge overpay and won't happen. I would be really surprised if his offers excited 4/75, and I would peg it at 4/65 personally. I think Toronto traded for him because they thought he would be a lot cheaper to retain than Powell.

Return to Trades and Transactions