ImageImageImage

OT: Race/gender/coaching/politics/etc thread.

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Re: OT: Race/gender/coaching/politics/etc thread. 

Post#61 » by BostonCouchGM » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:32 am

There should absolutely be a national voter ID requirement. Every contributing member of our society needs an ID for: school, government assistance, credit card, bank account, buying cigarettes or alcohol, at the airport, gym memberships, etc. etc. How is requiring an ID for voting any different and at all supposedly aimed at restricting the black vote? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when people regurgitate the shallow talking points they hear on MSNBC over this.

Do black people get offended that liberals use them politically like this? Do they not see the bigotry of low expectations? We should make Election Day a National Holiday while we're at it. There's no excuse for the rampant corruption that took place this last election. I get it, the left was going to do whatever it needed to do to get Trump out and it was worth it to them. But you do realize that the right is going to adopt it themselves and down the road you'll be the victims next time right?
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#62 » by greenroom31 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:53 am

Several of the last few posts remind me why I stay out of these conversations on here.

1) It takes an order of magnitude more energy to disprove false claims than to make them.

2) This is an Internet forum (about basketball ostensibly) and very, very, very few people are open to learning something and changing their opinion. Especially about politics or religion.

So add 1 and 2 together and you end up where these discussions always end up: some posters make ignorant and often offensive claims, other posters try to educate and correct them, things get ugly fast, no one changes their opinions and posters fight and get angry.

This thread was a noble effort/idea and it stayed on track for longer than expected, but it seems now the path is inevitable so I’m checking out.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 8,981

Post#63 » by Bad-Thoma » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:26 am

moonie_mcgee wrote:Phoney white liberals hate Hate HATE Trump. Yet he gained BIGTIME with EVERY group but college educated whites. He spoke to all Americans about what's important to all Americans. Freedom, jobs, security, energy, etc.

I'm not going to bother arguing with you about your political views but in general, be better. You're jumping into what has been a respectful, difficult conversation and immediately using divisive language (phoney white liberals) to insult people who don't see things the way you do. I don't know if you bothered to read the thread before posting but people have done amazing, unprecedented things for an internet forum here, i.e. admitted to lack of knowledge, listened to other people's views, learned. Don't kill it with disrespectful partisan nonsense, just don't. There have been some really good perspectives here.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 8,981

Post#64 » by Bad-Thoma » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:01 pm

Ed Pinkney wrote:I find that language often ends up being too much about semantics which then gets weaponised as part of the arguments (by the left and the right). The idea of colour blindness can also be problematic as it can ignore unique differences that should be acknowledged or even celebrated.

I personally can find language choice difficult as I am often unsure about what terms I “should or shouldn’t” use in regards to people in other groups or minorities that I am not part of. But I also don’t think it is my position to make that decision, so I try and listen about these things more than speak on them.

It is a bit of a cliche, but words in of themselves shouldn’t have any power. It is the intentions of the person or group using that word that has the power and should matter.

“Coloured person” has a history and an intention behind it that is very different from “people of colour”. Does that make it a better term to use? I don’t know and don’t feel I am in any position to make that call as I am not a person of colour.

I once used the term, "African-american" in the presence of a very close friend to which he responded, "Do I look African? I'm American. I'm black." He wasn't insulted though as he understood my context and intention, I think sometimes all we can do is listen with an open mind and respond with our best intentions and trust things will be ok.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,786

Post#65 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:52 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:There should absolutely be a national voter ID requirement. Every contributing member of our society needs an ID for: school, government assistance, credit card, bank account, buying cigarettes or alcohol, at the airport, gym memberships, etc. etc. How is requiring an ID for voting any different and at all supposedly aimed at restricting the black vote? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when people regurgitate the shallow talking points they hear on MSNBC over this.

It would increase voted fraud (which is almost nonexistent anyway), not decrease it because the Republicans, who are interested in limiting the right to vote to Wealthy white people, would claim that people were forging the IDs, or that they aren't being checked at the polling places, etc. etc. It would also impose just another federal rule on the states. Aren't most conservatives against that?

Here in Boston when I go to vote, I have to go to the correct polling place for my ward and precinct, I have to identify myself and where I live: they have a list of every registered voter by street address and they check off your name before you get a ballot. There is also a policeman there to make sure people are not violating any voting laws (e.g. stumping for candidates within 100 feet of the entrance). There are many booths and voting machines, so there are rarely any lines and working folks can get in and out quickly. A national voter ID would do absolutely nothing to improve this process. It would just be one more bullsh*t governmental hurdle.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
titlebound1
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,364

Post#66 » by titlebound1 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:01 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:There should absolutely be a national voter ID requirement. Every contributing member of our society needs an ID for: school, government assistance, credit card, bank account, buying cigarettes or alcohol, at the airport, gym memberships, etc. etc. How is requiring an ID for voting any different and at all supposedly aimed at restricting the black vote? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when people regurgitate the shallow talking points they hear on MSNBC over this.

It would increase voted fraud (which is almost nonexistent anyway), not decrease it because the Republicans, who are interested in limiting the right to vote to Wealthy white people, would claim that people were forging the IDs, or that they aren't being checked at the polling places, etc. etc. It would also impose just another federal rule on the states. Aren't most conservatives against that?

Here in Boston when I go to vote, I have to go to the correct polling place for my ward and precinct, I have to identify myself and where I live: they have a list of every registered voter by street address and they check off your name before you get a ballot. There is also a policeman there to make sure people are not violating any voting laws (e.g. stumping for candidates within 100 feet of the entrance). There are many booths and voting machines, so there are rarely any lines and working folks can get in and out quickly. A national voter ID would do absolutely nothing to improve this process. It would just be one more bullsh*t governmental hurdle.

Yeah that's exactly how I feel about having to register my guns or have ID to buy them
titlebound1
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,364

Post#67 » by titlebound1 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:09 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:

And I don't agree at all. There is no harm in adding an extra layer. We heard for 4 years that the 2020 election was rigged...I'm not going to just pretend that never happened. Unless someone is disabled, 100% of voting should take place in person with ID. Make it a national holiday so it's easier for people to vote. But I've heard many people call voter ID laws racist, and the implication is that black people can't figure out how to register or get an ID. Biden himself said on national TV that minorites and people who live in rural areas "don't know how to get online."

The left wants to regulate absolutely everything. This should be easy for them.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,817

Post#68 » by bucknersrevenge » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:03 pm

nic4747 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:But what makes it more strategic though? I agree to the extent that this shouldn't be about White privilege or guilt. The privilege part comes into play when people can't get out of their own ethnocentric view to understand that minorities are disadvantaged in the first place. THAT is where the "privilege conversation" stems from. Often we can't have the conversation you're suggesting that we have because we have to have that one first and people have trouble getting past it.

I think saying it puts people on the defensive, and when someone is defensive your changes of getting through to them decrease by about 95%. The discussion also just ends up talking about why minorities are disadvantaged anyways so why not skip directly to this and cut out the middle man? I guess I don't think talking about privledge is an effective "sales pitch" into that conversation.

It also puts the person saying it at a disadvantage because they have to say something about a person they don't actually know anything about. While racism is a serious problem, it's not the only problem out there people face. For example, a person in a wheel chair might trade the ability to walk again for some racism. Similarly, people could be facing other severe physical or mental issues and may not be sympathetic because of it, particularly if they become "hardened" because people in their lives don't show them sympathy about their issues.

I also think people are likely to misinterpret the "privledged" concept, because they have no idea what it means. So they will try to equate it to something in their lives but who knows what they are using as an analogy so everything gets lost in translation. But maybe it works sometimes, honestly I have no idea. Just my two cents.

bucknersrevenge wrote:Case in point, according to a recent study conducted by the New York Times, voter interest and support in the Black Lives Matter movement (not activist group but the movement itself) has now fallen to levels below where it was in January 2020 before the death of Breonna Taylor and George Floyd. Because the issues brought forth by this "racial reckoning" have become a political football during this last voting cycle. And now that the pandemic is ending and people are beginning to go back out and we are now further removed from those events that led to the original shock and awe that engaged greater White society, the backlash has come. And that is the essence of privilege. We now have several states endorsing policies that would roll back voting rights that would affect minorities. Not only are we no closer to the complete enfranchisement of minorities, but we seem to be going backwards now.

Not surprising, the public has a short attention span. The key is using that temporary outrage to enact more permanent solutions. That could be having a conversation with someone and getting them to change their perspective, or it could be getting legislation passed. I would hope that George Floyd, etc. cases have resulted in permanent improvements to police departments around the country. In theory, changing how a police department operates is relatively straight forward with the right community organizing, because it's all controlled at the local government level. But in reality it's difficult without sufficient funding and knowledge and there are institutional barriers (in this case, the police unions) that are built to endure.

I think maybe what is getting lost in this communication is that talking about privilege is not a sales pitch. It's not even an introduction into the real conversation. You keep saying to avoid that and get to the real convo. What I keep telling you is that WE CAN'T. And we are trying, man. Believe me, we are TRYING. Whenever we try to skip the "blame" part and avoid pointing fingers we are met with people who tell us that the issues we have are not really issues. It's like we're talking in circles here! lol

You say to use that temporary outrage to get things accomplished. It's almost like you just responded to a post where I stated that voting rights are actually being rolled back and not extended further via the John Lewis Act. The Emmett Till Act against lynching still hasn't passed and people have tried. Till died in '55. This bill has come across the floor of Congress in one form or another for for like 50 years. It's still not a federal crime to lynch Black people. Justice in Policing Act can't get through. It's like trying to run through a brick wall. What's your solution? Seriously, this is not a troll job. How do you get through Congress a bill that declares lynching Black people is a federal crime? Cuz I'm open to ideas if you have them.

For example, a person in a wheel chair might trade the ability to walk again for some racism.

:o

Holy s**t.

I don't even know where I should begin with a comment like this so I think I will pass and maybe we can just pretend like it never happened.

I think this venture may be nearing the end of its purpose so maybe we should leave it here before things go south. I leave that to the mods to determine. But I'll finish with this:

Viewing racism as a person to person thing (ie. I don't act racist to anyone so I'm not racist) completely misses the point entirely and it's where so many get this argument wrong. Racism is a SYSTEM of oppression. To be even clearer on the etymology of the word, racism did not come from "race". It was actually the other way around. The SYSTEM of racism came first, and then race was created to justify the system. You have to view it in that context. This is not about me labeling you or anyone in this thread as a racist because it's not about just one on one relationships. If racism is a system, and you benefit from that system, then you benefit from that system, period. It's a system that is designed to keep White men at the top of the social order. And it was built that way because it was designed by White men who assumed that that is how it should always be. That's why this has to be changed with policy. Calling someone a racist is no more an insult than calling someone sweaty after a 3-mile run. Because it's not an immutable trait. It can be changed. All we're asking some people to do is to take an f'ing shower.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,786

Post#69 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:50 pm

The percentage of eligible voters who actually vote in presidential elections is around 62%. Instead of passing voter ID laws and putting in additional hurdles to voting, let's have a multi billion-dollar federal voter education program to increase turnout to 70% or even 75%. Isn't that what democracy is supposed to do, reflect the will of the majority of the people?
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Tyakack
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,210

Post#70 » by Tyakack » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:10 pm

Can someone explain white privilege to me? What are white people able to do today that I'm not just as easily able to do myself if I wanted? Are there certain laws in place I don't know about that makes it hard for me as a black male to succeed? I keep being told I'm at a disadvantage. Which is funny to me because I never once thought that growing up. The white kids didn't get special treatment. They didn't play by different rules. They were just like me.

To me that is more offensive than anything else. You're basically, in a sense, calling me inferior but, "Don't worry. We are here to help and make it right." That is the vibe I'm getting and it's almost comical to me. I'm not a victim. I don't need or want pity. I live in a wonderful country with endless opportunities for me. Nothing is stopping me from going out and being what I wanna be and doing what I wanna do. I can walk out this door right now and do whatever my heart desires. I love America.

America is so racist they elected a black president, twice *Half black but still*. Even though black people make up such a small portion of the population. Explain that to me. How did racist America allow that to happen?

Apparently the system is made to keep black people at the bottom of the ladder? It doesn't get much more at the top than President of the United States. This isn't against anyone in particular by the way but... This whole narrative that America is so racist, I just don't see it. Like, anywhere. That's my ramble on the topic for today. Bye now.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,141

Post#71 » by Froob » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:10 pm

moonie_mcgee wrote:American families don't see race. They see families, friends, neighbors, teammates and coworkers. Phoney white liberals only see race for political gain while they fight to advance abortion, gun control and cheap labor. The phoney white liberal lies about racism in America is a losing message.

Open your eyes. Do you think these minorities are just lying about their experiences? Listen to Bill Russell, Marcus Smart, Tristan Thompson.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,817

Post#72 » by bucknersrevenge » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:34 pm

Tyakack wrote:Can someone explain white privilege to me? What are white people able to do today that I'm not just as easily able to do myself if I wanted? Are there certain laws in place I don't know about that makes it hard for me as a black male to succeed? I keep being told I'm at a disadvantage. Which is funny to me because I never once thought that growing up. The white kids didn't get special treatment. They didn't play by different rules. They were just like me.

To me that is more offensive than anything else. You're basically, in a sense, calling me inferior but, "Don't worry. We are here to help and make it right." That is the vibe I'm getting and it's almost comical to me. I'm not a victim. I don't need or want pity. I live in a wonderful country with endless opportunities for me. Nothing is stopping me from going out and being what I wanna be and doing what I wanna do. I can walk out this door right now and do whatever my heart desires. I love America.

America is so racist they elected a black president, twice *Half black but still*. Even though black people make up such a small portion of the population. Explain that to me. How did racist America allow that to happen?

Apparently the system is made to keep black people at the bottom of the ladder? It doesn't get much more at the top than President of the United States. This isn't against anyone in particular by the way but... This whole narrative that America is so racist, I just don't see it. Like, anywhere. That's my ramble on the topic for today. Bye now.

The black experience is not a monolith sir.

But since you asked. Here's a video of a White woman explaining it. Hope it helps.

and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Tyakack
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,210

Post#73 » by Tyakack » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:54 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
Tyakack wrote:Can someone explain white privilege to me? What are white people able to do today that I'm not just as easily able to do myself if I wanted? Are there certain laws in place I don't know about that makes it hard for me as a black male to succeed? I keep being told I'm at a disadvantage. Which is funny to me because I never once thought that growing up. The white kids didn't get special treatment. They didn't play by different rules. They were just like me.

The black experience is not a monolith sir.

But since you asked. Here's a video of a White woman explaining it. Hope it helps.

Thanks. I'll watch when I have time.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,961

Post#74 » by Shak_Celts » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:58 pm

Why do people need an ID to vote? You have examples of why people need ID for other things but those other things had reason, guns kill people you want to stop felons etc from getting them, cars kill people you want to know if people have passed tests and know how to drive...licenses can be revoked an effort to keep those people off the roads, people sneak into schools to harm/kidnap people/kids the ID is to stop random people from gaining access. Voter fraud isn't a thing so why force people to get an ID and keep up with it, when most people vote 1 time every 4 years? You do that to make people forego voting. The same people who can't get off work to vote can't just snap fingers to get time to go to the DMV and wait for hours! Then the hours they spend in line to vote adds onto that. If voter fraud was rampant then I could see the need. It isn't.

I WOULD LOVE VOTING TO BE A HOLIDAY. It isn't, so why add to the hassle a lot of people already face when trying to vote, you want people to go through all that to cast a vote that takes all of 2 Minutes (most people just vote based on name recognition, whether it's Dem/Rep or person)? A lot of people either don't vote on all the other forms of government (leave huge portions blank) or they just do it like you do when trying to fit in answers during a timed test. I want more than a holiday, I would love for everyone to have a chance to vote from home. Take all the stress out of it, stop making people request a ballot and just send them to everyone of age. Send paper to those who don't have a means to vote online and let those with access do it that way. If voting is so important, why not make it the easiest thing to access?! No, we won't get that in America and not just because politicians will fight against it, they will, but because we can't even fix roads and bridges that crumble and kill people!

No, MSNBC didn't tell me that. I use all types of news outlets to form my opinions. I even watch Fox News and visit conservative sites (I get a lot of Trump ads thanks to that). I don't just listen to the things any news outlet says and take it as fact, I look a lot of things up for myself because all media, left and right, fluffs and often leaves things out. Just because my opinions don't lean conservative it doesn't mean I form them from one source or sources that bolster my opinions.
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,221

Post#75 » by djFan71 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:38 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:I think maybe what is getting lost in this communication is that talking about privilege is not a sales pitch. It's not even an introduction into the real conversation. You keep saying to avoid that and get to the real convo. What I keep telling you is that WE CAN'T. And we are trying, man. Believe me, we are TRYING. Whenever we try to skip the "blame" part and avoid pointing fingers we are met with people who tell us that the issues we have are not really issues. It's like we're talking in circles here! lol

I don't want to speak for nic, but I'm definitely not trying to trivialize things as a sales pitch, and I don't think he is either. My branding thing was obviously a poor choice of words. But, what I was trying to get across is that I'm out there trying too. Talking to friends, family, bandmates, etc about these issues and the white privilege term makes it harder some times. That's all. Not saying it's not true by any means - it definitely is. Just that in my experience, if I avoid that term and talk about the systemic things and say we need more equal education funding, etc, I can get somewhere. If the conversations starts with white privilege, it's a lot harder to.

You don't have to avoid assigning blame, and I think the term brings attention to the issue, which is sorely needed. And, I'm definitely not trying to telling you or Shak or anyone in this thread how to talk about these things. Just relating my experience when I do.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by djFan71 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:46 pm

Consider this a blanket reminder for people to read the rules of this thread and avoid the labels. I'd love to keep this thread open, so will go to the warnings next like was laid out in that first post.

It's hard to participate and moderate since people will think I'm just shutting down opinions I don't agree with. And maybe it's run it's course like multiple people have mentioned today. But, I'm gonna leave it for a little and see how it goes.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by djFan71 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:51 pm

titlebound1 wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:

And I don't agree at all. There is no harm in adding an extra layer. We heard for 4 years that the 2020 election was rigged...I'm not going to just pretend that never happened. Unless someone is disabled, 100% of voting should take place in person with ID. Make it a national holiday so it's easier for people to vote. But I've heard many people call voter ID laws racist, and the implication is that black people can't figure out how to register or get an ID. Biden himself said on national TV that minorites and people who live in rural areas "don't know how to get online."

We've heard for years, but where was any actual proof? Republican secretaries of states approved the votes, the Attorney General investigated and found no widespread fraud. There were something like 70 court cases - all of which were dismissed before trial, or lost during trial. Literally no verifiable proof was found and accredited. I think most people take voter fraud very serious on both sides of the aisle, but there has to be substance behind the claims - just repeating them for years doesn't make them true.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,961

Post#78 » by Shak_Celts » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:06 pm

djFan71 wrote:
titlebound1 wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:

We've heard for years, but where was any actual proof? Republican secretaries of states approved the votes, the Attorney General investigated and found no widespread fraud. There were something like 70 course cases - all of which were dismissed before trial, or lost during trial. Literally no verifiable proof was found and accredited. I think most people take voter fraud very serious on both sides of the aisle, but there has to be substance behind the claims - just repeating them for years doesn't make them true.

Proof? Haha no. In fact, the few proven cases ever found are mostly Republican votes. Then there are times when the Republican politicians are found doing it. Nope, they don't talk about that.

Personally, I don't care if people find a handful or a couple thousand fraudulent votes (they don't), millions of people vote, you are bound to find something!
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
nic4747
Pro Prospect
And1: 523

Post#79 » by nic4747 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:11 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:I think maybe what is getting lost in this communication is that talking about privilege is not a sales pitch. It's not even an introduction into the real conversation. You keep saying to avoid that and get to the real convo. What I keep telling you is that WE CAN'T. And we are trying, man. Believe me, we are TRYING. Whenever we try to skip the "blame" part and avoid pointing fingers we are met with people who tell us that the issues we have are not really issues. It's like we're talking in circles here! lol

My only point is I suspect is that people receptive to the "blame" part of the convo were probably already on your side to begin with. Do you find you have more success with the "pointing fingers" approach? Like I said previously, if it works then obviously go for it.

bucknersrevenge wrote:You say to use that temporary outrage to get things accomplished. It's almost like you just responded to a post where I stated that voting rights are actually being rolled back and not extended further via the John Lewis Act. The Emmett Till Act against lynching still hasn't passed and people have tried. Till died in '55. This bill has come across the floor of Congress in one form or another for for like 50 years. It's still not a federal crime to lynch Black people. Justice in Policing Act can't get through. It's like trying to run through a brick wall. What's your solution? Seriously, this is not a troll job. How do you get through Congress a bill that declares lynching Black people is a federal crime? Cuz I'm open to ideas if you have them.

I wish I did. Getting anything through Congress these days is tough and I assume get any racial bills passed is even more tough.

Maybe it's part of the "system" you mention below where it's going to be inherently more difficult for minorities to get legislation passed for them. Because it affects a minority population, there aren't as many baseline votes, so the minority population is left trying to persuade the majority population, but many in the majority population don't care because it doesn't affect them.

Maybe there has been more success (i.e. more success than 0) at the state or local level? I know MA just passed police reform legislation back in January (which I assume was partially motivated by the George Floyd outrage). I'm interested in your opinion on the quality of that bill.
LoquaciousLarry
Sophomore
And1: 190

Post#80 » by LoquaciousLarry » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:19 pm

I love this post. I was shut down from a work conference with students for trying to inspire minority students not to have a victim mentality but to look at it that if they have had a harder road with more obstacles, how much stronger and more prepared they'll be than others because of their abilities to take on and overcome amazing challenges. Without conflict, character cannot be built. I agree we should be focused on equity and equality in this country. I'm also proud to be an American where we can protest and have freedom of speech so everyone's feelings and opinions can be heard.

Racism has always existed and still does in many countries on far more egregious levels than here in the states. While it is still a major problem that needs to be addressed and continuously worked on, I feel the United States has been at the forefront of leading the charge in regard to pushing for equality. It won't happen overnight but I feel like this country has made a ton of progression over the years with leaders such as MLK JR among many others. Pandering and getting rid of Biblical standards has caused a deterioration of moral values in my opinion.

I'm white but I know there are plenty of bad white people and plenty of great white people. The same for every other race as well as genders. Rather than judging on the basis of skin or sex, we should all push not to judge and if we do judge we need to base it off the content of one's character. This country is literally bringing segregation back with critical race theory etc. We should all unite and be as one and stop looking so much at the exterior of people but really focus on the interior and who people are and the qualities and skills that they represent. Also, we should teach of the progression this country has made and will continue to make rather than trying to tear down the efforts of many folks who are no longer with us that sacrificed a lot to continue the push to eliminate racism and raise awareness of the struggles we have in this country.

Return to Boston Celtics