Kemba Walker to Orlando

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,547

Kemba Walker to Orlando 

Post#1 » by NYG » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:26 am

Kemba Walker and 16th Overall Draft Pick for Gary Harris and Terrance Ross

The Celtics save a ton of money with Harris' expiring in 2022 just in time to renew Walker and you could use Ross in the Fournier role without having to pay Fournier's soon-to-be salary. The 16th Overall Pick isn't unreasonable given the savings is around what the Nets needed to use to dump similar cap space on draft night in the KD/Kyrie off-season and the Celtics have enough young guys as is.

The Magic add another asset without having to give up a ton on the court. Kemba would lead the tank and they could really start to build a young core. Kemba expires in 2023 so if they could just wait it out, they could be in a good position that off-season.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,509

Re: Kemba Walker to Orlando 

Post#2 » by zimpy27 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:30 am

I like it but I always wonder what Boston are doing for playmaking after these types of trades.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,257

Post#3 » by hugepatsfan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:38 am

Orlando seems to be going into a rebuild like OKC last year.

The Thunder took on $69M of Horford guaranteed money last year for a 2025 1st rounder. In this deal, ORL is taking on about $74M with Kemba (he will likely demand his trade kicker to go to the rebuilding magic but that's paid by Boston).

The Thunder sent back an expiring Danny Green, who is a useful player. The Magic sending back Gary Harris is comparable.

Now, ORL is also sending back 2 years, $24M n the Ross deal. Not a bad value or anything, but it does kind of cut into the financial savings for BOS which is their motivation for the deal. I'd say Ross is a MLE player making MLE money so neutral value.

Kemba's money is packed into 2 years while Horford has that partially guaranteed last year. That makes his deal a little harder to flip if he rebuilds his value the way Horford did. So that has to be factored in as well.

Like I said, OKC got a 2025 1st rounder. ORL here is getting a mid 1st right now in real time. That's definitely more valuable.

All in all, I think the valuation is fair based on our most recent comparable. ORL is theoretically motivated for asset collection the way OKC is. BOS is theoretically motivated to add value to help the cap sheet like PHI was.

I think this is a really fair valuation.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,201

Post#4 » by Godaddycurse » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:02 am

hugepatsfan wrote:Orlando seems to be going into a rebuild like OKC last year.

The Thunder took on $69M of Horford guaranteed money last year for a 2025 1st rounder. In this deal, ORL is taking on about $74M with Kemba (he will likely demand his trade kicker to go to the rebuilding magic but that's paid by Boston).

The Thunder sent back an expiring Danny Green, who is a useful player. The Magic sending back Gary Harris is comparable.

Now, ORL is also sending back 2 years, $24M n the Ross deal. Not a bad value or anything, but it does kind of cut into the financial savings for BOS which is their motivation for the deal. I'd say Ross is a MLE player making MLE money so neutral value.

Kemba's money is packed into 2 years while Horford has that partially guaranteed last year. That makes his deal a little harder to flip if he rebuilds his value the way Horford did. So that has to be factored in as well.

Like I said, OKC got a 2025 1st rounder. ORL here is getting a mid 1st right now in real time. That's definitely more valuable.

All in all, I think the valuation is fair based on our most recent comparable. ORL is theoretically motivated for asset collection the way OKC is. BOS is theoretically motivated to add value to help the cap sheet like PHI was.

Okc got an early second in horford trade as well (maledon)
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,081

Post#5 » by sonictecture » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:00 am

Godaddycurse wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:Orlando seems to be going into a rebuild like OKC last year.

Okc got an early second in horford trade as well (maledon)

And the nba rights to Euro MVP and Finals MVP, Vasilije Micic.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 20,792

Post#6 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:29 am

And that 2025 pick is only top 6 protected, so the upside is high. But I agree with the analysis for the most part.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,914

Post#7 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:00 pm

NYG wrote:Kemba Walker and 16th Overall Draft Pick for Gary Harris and Terrance Ross

The Celtics save a ton of money with Harris' expiring in 2022 just in time to renew Walker and you could use Ross in the Fournier role without having to pay Fournier's soon-to-be salary. The 16th Overall Pick isn't unreasonable given the savings is around what the Nets needed to use to dump similar cap space on draft night in the KD/Kyrie off-season and the Celtics have enough young guys as is.

The Magic add another asset without having to give up a ton on the court. Kemba would lead the tank and they could really start to build a young core. Kemba expires in 2023 so if they could just wait it out, they could be in a good position that off-season.

Man did the Kemba Walker experiment go bad, I remember when they signed him all the hype. I could see Orlando doing this it's low risk with Kemba having only 2 years left and one is an option year. Harris has no value right now, he can't stay healthy, Ross can be a good player but he's inconsistant.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,970

Post#8 » by Nyce_1 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:24 pm

Orl easily passes. That contract and player do not line up with our new direction. And giving away Harris & Ross, who are good vets to have around out super young, and can return some decent pieces on their own, doesn't make sense.

Hard no.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,573

Post#9 » by Celts17Pride » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:19 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:Orl easily passes. That contract and player do not line up with our new direction. And giving away Harris & Ross, who are good vets to have around out super young, and can return some decent pieces on their own, doesn't make sense.

Hard no.

Giving away Harris & Ross? If they had value they would have brought something at the last trade deadline. I'm not saying they are not useful players. I'm just saying they don't have a ton of value.

Back to the topic, I personally think this makes some sense for the Magic. Kemba Walker will be highly motivated looking to rebuild his value across the league and will probably have a pretty good season being the main option in Orlando. If he is successful in rebuilding his value he will probably decline his last year and look for a longer term deal with some other team. If he is not successful then he becomes an expiring contract. The Magic get the #16 pick in this year's draft to help in their rebuild and get rid of a couple of players that won't be part of the rebuild.

Don't think this is as bad as you make it out to be. The only worry I would have as a Magic fan is Kemba returns to his all-star level and the Magic win too many games and kick themselves out of the lottery next year. If that happened the Magic could always trade Kemba at the deadline.

Kemba needs a team where he can get his mojo back. Won't happen in Boston being the 3rd option.

Just my opinion.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#10 » by mhd » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:22 pm

I think Orlando would probably prefer Nesmith+future 1st over the #16 pick (Celtics wouldn't need Nesmith with Harris, Ross, Brown, and Tatum). They already (likely) will have two top 8 picks. Their won't be PT for another relatively high 1st rounder.
jjohns828
Bench Warmer
And1: 513

Post#11 » by jjohns828 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:23 pm

I don’t have any problem with the idea of being paid to take on a bad contract but I do have some concerns with taking Kemba specifically. With Hampton, Anthony, and Fultz all needing time at PG as we develop our young players I don’t want Walker on the team eating up minutes I’d want to go to them. Now if the front office is happy with what they receive for taking his contract and are confident they can get an acceptable buyout I’d be much more in favor. However, if he’d actually play for us next year I’d prefer to pass on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,381

Post#12 » by jayjaysee » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:28 pm

[streamable][/streamable]Orlando shouldn’t take on Kemba cheaply, when they have Cole and Fultz. And should be in position for a guard..

So swap Ross out for Fultz and add Nesmith? Love Fultz ending up in Boston and Orlando can’t trade Ross’ twitter. They gonna need it this year.

Not a real counter, sorry. Don’t think Orlando takes on Kemba. Maybe add a third team’s bad money at a different position. The Lakers or Clippers meh platters ending up in Orlando?
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 20,792

Post#13 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:34 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:Orl easily passes. That contract and player do not line up with our new direction. And giving away Harris & Ross, who are good vets to have around out super young, and can return some decent pieces on their own, doesn't make sense.

Hard no.

Harris is definitely a negative contract.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,573

Post#14 » by Celts17Pride » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:45 pm

jjohns828 wrote:I don’t have any problem with the idea of being paid to take on a bad contract but I do have some concerns with taking Kemba specifically. With Hampton, Anthony, and Fultz all needing time at PG as we develop our young players I don’t want Walker on the team eating up minutes I’d want to go to them. Now if the front office is happy with what they receive for taking his contract and are confident they can get an acceptable buyout I’d be much more in favor. However, if he’d actually play for us next year I’d prefer to pass on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Playing time for young point guards is a very valid point.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,652

Post#15 » by orlando_joe » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:19 pm

as magic fan would do it if kemba agreed to buyout full pay next season opt out last yr and let go this summer to join any team he wants..boston saves some money gets ross and small tpe..but if he would agree maybe boston just does that..lol...with all young guards in orlando do not want to give him any playing time ...and 16th pick ? in draft magic look to have 2 lottery picks to go with 3 rookies from last yr and the 33rd pick in this draft,, to give up 36 mill in space in 22-23 magic pass
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#16 » by Resistance » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:34 pm

orlando_joe wrote:as magic fan would do it if kemba agreed to buyout full pay next season opt out last yr and let go this summer to join any team he wants..boston saves some money gets ross and small tpe..but if he would agree maybe boston just does that..lol...with all young guards in orlando do not want to give him any playing time ...and 16th pick ? in draft magic look to have 2 lottery picks to go with 3 rookies from last yr and the 33rd pick in this draft,, to give up 36 mill in space in 22-23 magic pass

as magic fan would do it if kemba agreed to buyout full pay next season opt out last yr and let go this summer to join any team he wants

I am seeking clarification on what buyout full pay next season means.

For 2022-23, Walker has a PO for $37,653,300.

Harris......$20,482,143.....................
Ross........$12,500,000......$11,500,000

Walker.... $36,016,200......$37,653,300

Orlando is taking on an additional $3 million for the 2021-22 season and an additional $26.1 million for the 2022-23 season. That is a total of $29.1 million for the #16 pick.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,652

Post#17 » by orlando_joe » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:40 pm

Resistance wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:as magic fan would do it if kemba agreed to buyout full pay next season opt out last yr and let go this summer to join any team he wants..boston saves some money gets ross and small tpe..but if he would agree maybe boston just does that..lol...with all young guards in orlando do not want to give him any playing time ...and 16th pick ? in draft magic look to have 2 lottery picks to go with 3 rookies from last yr and the 33rd pick in this draft,, to give up 36 mill in space in 22-23 magic pass

as magic fan would do it if kemba agreed to buyout full pay next season opt out last yr and let go this summer to join any team he wants

Orlando is taking on an additional $3 million for the 2021-22 season and an additional $26.1 million for the 2022-23 season. That is a total of $29.1 million for the #16 pick.

kemba would have to agree to opt out of his player option for buyout ..and becomes free agent...could take ross out even if boston sees ross not as win now positive value for 15 plus mill tpe..as i said if kemba agree boston might just do it..eat his 33 mill and let him go
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#18 » by JediMasterRevan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:54 pm

I can almost guarantee, based on recent free agents, that Kemba will opt out of the final year of his deal.

Especially if the team he is traded to isnt in the running to win a championship
Couch Potato
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#19 » by Couch Potato » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:58 pm

Orlando giving up on Fultz?
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#20 » by Resistance » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:47 pm

orlando_joe wrote:
Resistance wrote:

kemba would have to agree to opt out of his player option for buyout ..and becomes free agent...could take ross out even if boston sees ross not as win now positive value for 15 plus mill tpe..as i said if kemba agree boston might just do it..eat his 33 mill and let him go

If he decides to opt out of the 2022-23 portion of his contract, then how is going to have leverage to get some buyout money from Orlando or Boston or whatever team that he is with?

Return to Trades and Transactions