This will not excite anyone -- MIL/DAL/HOU

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,713

This will not excite anyone -- MIL/DAL/HOU 

Post#1 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:06 am

This deal is inspired by Brook Lopez in drop coverage and Bucks fans probably never wanting to see it again.

Bucks trade: BroLo
Bucks get: Kleber/WCS

Mavs trade: Powell/Kleber/WCS/Burke/22 DAL 2nd/24 DAL 2nd
Mavs get: BroLo/Eric Gordon

Rockets trade: Eric Gordon
Rockets get: Dwight Powell/Trey Burke/22 DAL 2nd/24 DAL 2nd

Really 2 separate deals but combining them out of laziness.

Bucks go to Giannis at center with Maxi still giving them good size and some rim protection at the 4, but a guy who can really move his feet defensively, plus at this point a much more reliable 3-pt shooter. WCS is included so they still have a big defensive center as an option.

Rockets save several million dollars each of the next 2 seasons, Powell can back up Wood as well. But Gordon is the best player here and they give up a roster spot so they also get a couple of 2nds.

Dallas did center by committee this year and meh. This is a move to KP and BroLo splitting the minutes with KP also playing a little 4 alongside BroLo. Dallas hopes this upgrades their defense with a legitimate defensive center and if Rick was willing to go to Boban in the post, surely he would utilize Lopez' ability there. Gordon is a bit of crap shoot with his injuries, the idea here was to convert Powell's money to something else as his role would be reduced. Gordon is a veteran scorer whose shooting fall-off scares me, but he gets to the line enough to still be an efficient scorer. Dallas obviously has to target a PF in free agency after this.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Re: This will not excite anyone -- MIL/DAL/HOU 

Post#2 » by K_chile22 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:12 am

You're right, I'm not excited about it lol but I guess there's no reason for the rockets not to do it. Not convinced the bucks would though
I like Maxi but BroLo is still an elite rim protector
Texas Chuck

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:16 am

K_chile22 wrote:You're right, I'm not excited about it lol but I guess there's no reason for the rockets not to do it. Not convinced the bucks would though
I like Maxi but BroLo is still an elite rim protector

Yeah the 2nds pretty much forced your hand. :lol:

Agree the Bucks are a much bigger question. He's definitely the best player in a vacuum, but was trying to give them an attractive alternative approach and protect them a little with Willie who was pretty solid defensively for Dallas in limited minutes and obviously not protected by the quality of perimeter defenders the Bucks have.

IDK. Just feels like its time for Giannis at center and was trying to find a BroLo deal that made sense. Can't see Charlotte giving up one of their young guys even though they could use BroLo. Boston could use him but don't have a player.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Nate the Great
Pro Prospect
And1: 380

Post#4 » by Nate the Great » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:19 am

I’m amused by how you routinely underestimate your own trades in the title of the post.

I thought Maxi was your boy? Why are you dealing him here, especially for that package?

Black Lives Matter
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,933

Post#5 » by zimpy27 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:25 am

BroLo is a solid defensive anchor but who on the Mavs is now going to play pick n roll with Luka? Luka should be a god at the PnR but he has no roll man. Just a couple pick n pop bigs or perimeter bigs.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Texas Chuck

Post#6 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:28 am

zimpy27 wrote:BroLo is a solid defensive anchor but who on the Mavs is now going to play pick n roll with Luka? Luka should be a god at the PnR but he has no roll man. Just a couple pick n pop bigs or bigs that play like wings?

Both BroLo and KP should be just fine. He was killing the Clippers running it with Boban so it doesn't have to be Powell. :D
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by zimpy27 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:43 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:BroLo is a solid defensive anchor but who on the Mavs is now going to play pick n roll with Luka? Luka should be a god at the PnR but he has no roll man. Just a couple pick n pop bigs or bigs that play like wings?

Both BroLo and KP should be just fine. He was killing the Clippers running it with Boban so it doesn't have to be Powell. :D

That's true regarding Boban. I agree with the premise of getting a quality big man rotation with Dallas but I like the idea of Kleber and KP staying but with Kleber coming off the bench and getting a starting defensive anchor / roll n cut big man (like Nerlen Noel in FA). I think those 3 would be a solid 4/5 rotation. You got to keep Boban for backup at the minimum, which means you can probably move Powell/WCS off as salary filler in a package. That's my thoughts anyway.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#8 » by K_chile22 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:47 am

zimpy27 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

That's true regarding Boban. I agree with the premise of getting a quality big man rotation with Dallas but I like the idea of Kleber and KP staying but with Kleber coming off the bench and getting a starting defensive anchor / roll n cut big man (like Nerlen Noel in FA). I think those 3 would be a solid 4/5 rotation. You got to keep Boban for backup at the minimum, which means you can probably move Powell/WCS off as salary filler in a package. That's my thoughts anyway.
I think the nerlens boat has sailed :)
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by zimpy27 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:04 am

K_chile22 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

I think the nerlens boat has sailed :)

Yeah I'm hoping the bridge isn't burnt. Vanderbilt is another option in FA.
Trade wise you got Claxton, Gafford, Mitch, RW3 are springy types. Nurkic and Poeltl may also work.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,032

Post#10 » by daoneandonly » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:16 pm

I'd only want BroLo if KP were also moved, in said deal or a follow-up one, I never want to see those 2 together sharing the floor. And Dallas should be able to keep the seconds if they have to absorb the heap of Eric Gordon.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,339

Post#11 » by Mavrelous » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:39 pm

I like it, but this leaves 2 gaping holes in Mavs roster, PF + PG and too little cap space for one of them, but they can address one this year and the other the next with the MLE.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,462

Post#12 » by jayjaysee » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:20 pm

I like adding Lopez. But think Maxi should be worth more than Lopez.

I’m not sure about targeting Gordon, but we really give up nothing for him so would do it assuming we are keeping KP or could find a new backup center if we trade KP. Not wanting to see Bobie play 25 minutes.. (I know I’m alone on that one)

Not an exciting offseason for Dallas, but two good targets.

I’d definitely try to use cap space and a 2nd or Green or Terry instead of Maxi? Love Maxi with Giannis though.
Texas Chuck

Post#13 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:22 pm

jayjaysee wrote:I like adding Lopez. But think Maxi should be worth more than Lopez.

I’m not sure about targeting Gordon, but we really give up nothing for him so would do it assuming we are keeping KP or could find a new backup center if we trade KP. Not wanting to see Bobie play 25 minutes.. (I know I’m alone on that one)

Not an exciting offseason for Dallas, but two good targets.

I’d definitely try to use cap space and a 2nd or Green or Terry instead of Maxi? Love Maxi with Giannis though.

The value question is interesting. I think BroLo might still hold more value? Interested in more thoughts from others on that.

And of course I'd rather keep Maxi in Dallas, but this idea originated with me thinking about the Bucks. I don't see them interested in a TPE and some meh assets rather than a veteran ready to help. I guess maybe as a 3-team deal where they target a different BroLo replacement?

And yeah with all the bigs going out, Dallas would be finding a vet min center to add for sure, maybe even two considering KP's health and them having carried 4 centers the last several seasons.

Return to Trades and Transactions