ImageImageImageImageImage

Report: Scott Brooks Likely to Return

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Report: Scott Brooks Likely to Return 

Post#1 » by Benjammin » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:53 pm

A report citing sources indicates that Scott Brooks is likely to return as head coach if he's willing to bring in an entirely new assistant coaching staff. There are concerns supposedly if Brooks is fired how Westbrook would react. https://mayoh.substack.com/p/sources-scott-brooks-likely-to-return
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,927

Re: Report: Scott Brooks Likely to Return 

Post#2 » by Frichuela » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:57 pm

Benjammin wrote:A report citing sources indicates that Scott Brooks is likely to return as head coach if he's willing to bring in an entirely new assistant coaching staff. There are concerns supposedly if Brooks is fired how Westbrook would react. https://mayoh.substack.com/p/sources-scott-brooks-likely-to-return

Good God...f**** you Ted. :banghead:
JAR69
Senior
And1: 224

Post#3 » by JAR69 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:16 pm

:giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup:
"It takes talent, strategy and millions of dollars to compete in the N.B.A. But regret is the league’s greatest currency." - Howard Beck
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#4 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:35 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Read on Twitter
?s=21
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,304

Post#5 » by nate33 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:48 pm

Unbelievable! What a pathetic organization!

I'll never understand this deep loyalty this team has to mediocrity. They kept Ernie forever, and now Scott freaking Brooks has the 7th longest tenure in the NBA.

1. Pops (5-time champion and HOFer)
2. Spo (2-time champion. 3 more EC championships)
3. Carlisle (1-time champ and former COTY)
4. Kerr (3-time champ and former COTY)
5. Snyder (won 60% of his games over the last 5 years. 3rd in COTY voting this year)
6. Malone (won 63% of his games in each of the last 3 seasons.)
7. Scott freaking Brooks! (losing record over 5 years with the Wizards)
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#6 » by keynote » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:48 pm

Putting aside my horror at the decision, I'm intrigued at how this is being messaged. Mayo is tight with Beal's camp, and this report seems to deliberately elevate Russ as the straw stirring the drink on this one. No mention of Beal's support for Brooks, yet I can't imagine that Brooks gets re-upped without his endorsement.

Perhaps Beal is hedging his bets? He realizes that it might be uglier PR-wise to leave if he gets his hand picked coach? Meh. Probably not. The national media wouldn't blame Beal; they all think DC is a dumpster fire. So I'm not sure what the play is.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#7 » by JWizmentality » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:53 pm

And no one is shocked.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#8 » by payitforward » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:58 pm

Benjammin wrote:A report citing sources indicates that Scott Brooks is likely to return as head coach if he's willing to bring in an entirely new assistant coaching staff. There are concerns supposedly if Brooks is fired how Westbrook would react. https://mayoh.substack.com/p/sources-scott-brooks-likely-to-return

Really odd....

I presume that the "entirely new assistant coaching staff" will be dictated to him rather than being his choice. Or, at least, it will be chosen by "upper management" -- keep in mind that Ted has hired a plethora of consultant types....

Definitely Ted's style....
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#9 » by Benjammin » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:05 pm

I have no respect for any coach who saves their job by agreeing to let management decide who their coaching staff is. And people, don't use the word "mediocre" when it comes to the Wizards/Bullets of the last thirty five years. Mediocre means of average quality, not special, and we are nowhere close to even that low bar over time.
keynote
General Manager

Post#10 » by keynote » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:10 pm

Who would want a Jason Kidd-like assistant, waiting to shiv the HC at the first sign of a losing streak? Also: who would want to *be* that assistant?

I'll note that we tried to hire Thibs for the assistant role, and he declined for that very reason.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#11 » by payitforward » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:15 pm

I doubt there is any concern about upsetting Russ, who was MVP under Billy Donovan not Scott Brooks.

I suppose this may be Ted thinking, "how do I let him go after the way the team closed the season...?"
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#12 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:16 pm

keynote wrote:Putting aside my horror at the decision, I'm intrigued at how this is being messaged. Mayo is tight with Beal's camp, and this report seems to deliberately elevate Russ as the straw stirring the drink on this one. No mention of Beal's support for Brooks, yet I can't imagine that Brooks gets re-upped without his endorsement.

Perhaps Beal is hedging his bets? He realizes that it might be uglier PR-wise to leave if he gets his hand picked coach? Meh. Probably not. The national media wouldn't blame Beal; they all think DC is a dumpster fire. So I'm not sure what the play is.

Beal wants his super-max. That's his end goal right now.
keynote
General Manager

Post#13 » by keynote » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:19 pm

He gets that either way, no?
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#14 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:20 pm

keynote wrote:He gets that either way, no?

I should re-phrase

A supermax and control over a coach who won't hold him and Russ accountable.
keynote
General Manager

Post#15 » by keynote » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:22 pm

payitforward wrote:I doubt there is any concern about upsetting Russ, who was MVP under Billy Donovan not Scott Brooks.

I suppose this may be Ted thinking, "how do I let him go after the way the team closed the season...?"
Or, this might be a public play to demonstrate loyalty. Give Brooks a poop offer, and leak that they're doing it to have their stars' back. If Brooks summons up enough dignity to turn this down, then Shep is free to recruit who he wants without dealing with pouty stars.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,446

Post#16 » by mhd » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:23 pm

Brooks is a moron. Remember, he didn't play Bogdonovich in game 7 against Boston. Looks at Bogs now.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#17 » by pcbothwel » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:36 pm

Sounds about time for a hiatus. I just got married and have a lot going on in my life. I dont need to spend one minute of my time thinking about this dump of an organization. If this is indeed true, then I certainly wont watch or attend a single game next year... I might just drop the NBA all together anyway as the product gets worse and more expensive each year.

I'll let the dust settle first, but thats how it looks
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 832

Post#18 » by 9 and 20 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:39 pm

JWizmentality wrote:And no one is shocked.

tiny guards abound
scott brooks coaching sadness feels
raining cicadas
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#19 » by Ruzious » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:45 pm

9 and 20 wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:And no one is shocked.

tiny guards abound
scott brooks coaching sadness feels
raining cicadas

Haikus can explain
Washington is still the same
Mediocrity
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#20 » by payitforward » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:55 pm

pcbothwel wrote:Sounds about time for a hiatus. I just got married and have a lot going on in my life. I dont need to spend one minute of my time thinking about this dump of an organization. If this is indeed true, then I certainly wont watch or attend a single game next year... I might just drop the NBA all together anyway as the product gets worse and more expensive each year.

I'll let the dust settle first, but thats how it looks

Hey! We'll have none of that! You are needed here....

Return to Washington Wizards