The Playoffs Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Dnt hate
Sixth Man
And1: 899

Re: The Playoffs Thread 

Post#681 » by Dnt hate » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:51 am

cool93 wrote:
Dnt hate wrote:Embiid is going to destroy the Nets or Bucks, just need to hope the rest of the team shoes up
He averages 40 against Hawks so far and we are 1-1. Do you expect him to average 60 against Nets or what?

Sent from my G3416 using RealGM mobile app

I think he can average 35 while protecting the paint
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,416

Post#682 » by 76ciology » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:17 am

Read on Twitter

Kobble would enjoy this
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#683 » by 76ciology » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:02 am

The key probably is how much Seth can average.
Seth has lowkey been averaging 17ppg on great %s this playoffs.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#684 » by 76ciology » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:31 am

How Biid should play for us to win the championship

How Ben should play for us to win the championship

LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#685 » by LloydFree » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:58 am

Kobblehead wrote:
ivysixer2000 wrote:I do have to wonder how we would look if we hadn't traded Bridges for basically nothing.

Course we can always look at the Fultz thing really took automatic real ring contenders for a decade out of our equation.

Least we didn't waste as many resources as the Celtics, but it can still give heartburn.

We would have been much better against the Celtics because we'd have Bridges and Covington swarming dudes defensively and drilling assisted threes.

Ultimately, drafting Bridges at #10 would have still been a bad value pick because he had no shotcreation upside. Shai was one of the very best prospects in the class and it was beyond obvious that he should have been the pick. Shai would have literally rendered the Fultz whiff irrelevant and been a franchise-saving selection.

If you and Negro are going to keep going to this, at least be realistic. We all know you wanted Shai, and some others wanted Bridges (and nobody thought Michael Porter Jr would be available) but they were never going to select Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, because Markelle Fultz was still on the team. It would have been admitting that Markelle Fultz was trash, and neither the front office or fans were willing to admit that at that time. Therefore Shai was not an option.

It was not clear at all, to most, that Shai Gilgeous-Alexander was superior to Fultz at the time of that draft. I remember, because I got into many arguments on this board for suggestung Shai was a much better prospect than Fultz and did all of the things we people thought Fultz could do. They were never going to take Shai Gilgeous-Alexander while Fultz was on this team, so it's no need to go back and pretend that was a realistic option.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,742

Post#686 » by Negrodamus » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:20 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:
ivysixer2000 wrote:I do have to wonder how we would look if we hadn't traded Bridges for basically nothing.

Course we can always look at the Fultz thing really took automatic real ring contenders for a decade out of our equation.

Least we didn't waste as many resources as the Celtics, but it can still give heartburn.

We would have been much better against the Celtics because we'd have Bridges and Covington swarming dudes defensively and drilling assisted threes.

Ultimately, drafting Bridges at #10 would have still been a bad value pick because he had no shotcreation upside. Shai was one of the very best prospects in the class and it was beyond obvious that he should have been the pick. Shai would have literally rendered the Fultz whiff irrelevant and been a franchise-saving selection.

If you and Negro are going to keep going to this, at least be realistic. We all know you wanted Shai, and some others wanted Bridges (and nobody thought Michael Porter Jr would be available) but they were never going to select Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, because Markelle Fultz was still on the team. It would have been admitting that Markelle Fultz was trash, and neither the front office or fans were willing to admit that at that time. Therefore Shai was not an option.

It was not clear at all, to most, that Shai Gilgeous-Alexander was superior to Fultz at the time of that draft. I remember, because I got into many arguments on this board for suggestung Shai was a much better prospect than Fultz and did all of the things we people thought Fultz could do. They were never going to take Shai Gilgeous-Alexander while Fultz was on this team, so it's no need to go back and pretend that was a realistic option.

It's just a strange point to me. Why would Cleveland select Darius Garland the year after selecting Collin Sexton? Wouldn't that alienate Sexton. Could it be because he was the best player available? Lillard in 2012, McCollum in 2013? Maybe our deranged FO at the time felt that was a non-starter because it would have hurt Fultz's fee-fees but that shouldn't be a prevailing thought around the league.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#687 » by Kobblehead » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:28 pm

That whole concept is silly and makes no sense. Front offices that take that approach are doomed for failure. Especially in instances where the two guys in question have size and lineup versatility. Shai was playing SF in three guard lineups in OKC before Paul and Shroder left. The fact that this team didn't think he and Fultz could play together is idiotic.
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 825

Post#688 » by Ferry Avenue » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:51 pm

76ciology wrote:The key probably is how much Seth can average.

The key in the past three games has been the insertion of a backup point guard who has dribble penetration skills and can score.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#689 » by LloydFree » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:27 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:We would have been much better against the Celtics because we'd have Bridges and Covington swarming dudes defensively and drilling assisted threes.

It's just a strange point to me. Why would Cleveland select Darius Garland the year after selecting Collin Sexton? Wouldn't that alienate Sexton. Could it be because he was the best player available? Lillard in 2012, McCollum in 2013? Maybe our deranged FO at the time felt that was a non-starter because it would have hurt Fultz's fee-fees but that shouldn't be a prevailing thought around the league.

A couple of reasons: The biggest reason being the stage of development and talent level on the rosters. Cleveland in 2019 was not in the same situation as the 76ers in 2018. They are in the 76ers situation in 2014. That's why you select Joel Embiid, after just selecting Nerlens Noel. In 2018 The 76ers were trying to complete a roster, and it was unrealistic, to think they should draft a player, many (of the disillusioned) believed was inferior to Fultz, in order to play over Fultz.

It makes sense to you to draft Shai, because you and Kobble thought he was that good. It made sense to me because I thought Fultz shouldn't even be considered. But it didn't make sense to the team or anyone else who still had hopes of Fultz being any good.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
76ciology
RealGM

Post#690 » by 76ciology » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:59 pm

Just flat out blunder with the Zhaire pick selection.

The kid was short and has no guard skills.

We’re probably the only franchise in the league that likes drafting guards who can’t shoot and score in the lottery. MCW, Ben and Zhaire. Just think about it.

I didnt even know SGA was averaging 23/g this season, altho on limited games. But even if the justification for the Zhaire over Mikal pick was “star hunting” you’d still have to draft SGA.

I can understand we being unlucky with our draft selections. But if you look at the thought model in how we’re drafting. Since 2013. We really had it wrong.

You had bazillion of lottery picks. You only used a lottery pick once to draft a guard who can score and shoot, in Fultz. And you didnt see that this archetype of player (guards who can shoot and score) was going to take the league by storm?

The entire league was going fast pace, high scoring and everyone figured out shooting high volume of 3s works.

Even the Cavs knew this and THAT was the reason they drafted Garland even after they had Sexton.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,692

Post#691 » by rzzzzz » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:05 pm

LloydFree wrote:It makes sense to you to draft Shai, because you and Kobble thought he was that good. It made sense to me because I thought Fultz shouldn't even be considered. But it didn't make sense to the team or anyone else who still had hopes of Fultz being any good.

Can’t help but remind who our acting GM was at the time. The Brett influence lingers. (Though truth be told, I was intrigued by Z’s clutch play in the tournament and his incredible hops. But I suppose that even if he hadn’t gotten his foot broken by some unknown scrub while he was mid-air at a pre-camp workout, let alone nearly dead from sesame oil, he still apparently would have lacked anything that would make him more than G league fodder.)
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 581

Post#692 » by blargh » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:17 pm

76ciology wrote:The key probably is how much Seth can average.

The real key is how well Embiid passes out of the double team. The Nets definitely have less options against Joel than even the Hawks. But Joel can’t realistically score more, so he’s got to figure out how to find the open man. That’s on him and Doc. If he lets hard traps from Alize Johnson or whomever throw him off his game, we’re screwed.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#693 » by Kobblehead » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:34 am

76ciology wrote:We’re probably the only franchise in the league that likes drafting guards who can’t shoot and score in the lottery. MCW, Ben and Zhaire. Just think about it.

Carter-Williams couldn't shoot, but he absolutely could score. Excellent off-dribble ability. I still think Carter-Williams would have eventually developed into a star had we not crushed his soul with the random trade and then him getting injured right away.

76ciology
RealGM

Post#694 » by 76ciology » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:48 am

Maybe its just me..

Im talking about appearance and not style of play.

Okongwu looks like smaller Hasheem Thabeet.

Ok.. maybe also style of play lol
76ciology
RealGM

Post#695 » by 76ciology » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:57 am

Kobblehead wrote:
76ciology wrote:We’re probably the only franchise in the league that likes drafting guards who can’t shoot and score in the lottery. MCW, Ben and Zhaire. Just think about it.

Carter-Williams couldn't shoot, but he absolutely could score. Excellent off-dribble ability. I still think Carter-Williams would have eventually developed into a star had we not crushed his soul with the random trade and then him getting injured right away.

I honestly thought MCW has a good foundation to be a shooter. I like his shooting mechanics more than other but his FT% has always been suspect.

I just feel like with how overpowered scoring is, you need natural shooter/scorers. That it is fool’s gold to believe you can develop non natural shooters/scorers into one. Think of guys like CJ or Booker. Maybe even guys like Huerter, Joe Harris or Duncan Robinson.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#696 » by 76ciology » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:27 am

If we’re gonna win a championship, the storyline is not about Ben becoming a 20ppg scorer or a better shooter.

The storyline is Biid’s scoring dominance, collective scoring from the rest (Tobi? Milton? Maxey? Kork? Seth?). While Ben and the team slowing down opponent’s best perimeter scorers.

Have this been done before? Closest comparison I see is the 2011 Mavs.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#697 » by 76ciology » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:17 am

I wouldnt be surprised if NBA lines up a Jazz-Sixers match-up where they’d market it as a Spida-Gobert vs Ben-Biid match-up.

Oh, i love matching up with the Jazz. Biid pulls away Gobert, Ben slowing down Mitchell while Tobi doing work down low.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#698 » by 76ciology » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:18 am

So Hawks is like the 2nd best team in PnR. This series should really help us improve on PnR defense. Hopefully.
cool93
Analyst
And1: 1,992

Post#699 » by cool93 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:24 pm

70% TS for Embiid in this playoffs. Small sample, but MY GOD.

Sent from my G3416 using RealGM mobile app
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#700 » by Kobblehead » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:33 pm

76ciology wrote:I just feel like with how overpowered scoring is, you need natural shooter/scorers. That it is fool’s gold to believe you can develop non natural shooters/scorers into one. Think of guys like CJ or Booker. Maybe even guys like Huerter, Joe Harris or Duncan Robinson.

Honestly, I think it's fools gold to take a good/natural shooter and try to develop their ability to score off the dribble. I think scoring off the dribble is a natural talent that can't be manufactured. Whereas, there's an occasional terrible natural shooter that develops a jumper (Jaylen Brown).

Return to Philadelphia 76ers