Seattle Supersonics 2021 Expansion draft - GMs sign up/protection lists

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,496

Re: Seattle Supersonics 2021 Expansion draft - GMs sign up/protection lists 

Post#41 » by Wolveswin » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:02 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
shrink wrote:Financially, I think it would be a win to turn Russell into payroll relief, and as Texas Chuck noted with Wiggins, at two years $30 mil per, it might be unlikely an expansion team has room for the salary. But he is young, and he will score, and an expansion team could market him. Also, if he’s not protected, and Seattle didn’t take him, what kind of social damage does this do? Is he upset he wasn’t protected? Is Towns? Does Rosas say, “no, you really are our future...?”

You could certainly be right here, and the next player they’d likely protect is Jaylen Nowell, who has been great in almost every opportunity he’s gotten in the crowded guard position for the Wolves. But I’m curious if others have an opinion on this?

I'd rather protect Nowell who I think would be a real candidate to be selected. But I agree with all your concerns about Russell. I think with some players you can go to him and his agent and say look the Sonics would love to have your talent but can't afford your contract and so we are exposing you merely as a mechanism to also keep this young player we really like. But with Russell, and by extension Towns, that's probably a risk not worth taking. And if they Sonics were to target Nowell, rules allow you to offer them incentive to not. So you could send them a future 2nd and a $1M or something to keep him if you wanted.

But these are my favorite protection questions. These big contracts not worth their money but that you don't necessarily want to lose. I'm only okay with leaving KP unprotected because if he got taken Dallas gains pure cap space equal to his salary and even without a star to sign I'm confident they could make good use. If Dallas was well over the cap, I'd protect him.

Interesting about the money and Sonics committing a huge chunk to Russell.

I think the draft order is huge with who they might select. Cavs and Rockets for example. They expose Wall and Love. Would the Sonics offer to select them (probably select and waive) for a swap (4 for 2 let’s say)? Sonics could improve their draft slot for someone like Suggs to excite their fan base.

Back to Russell, I just don’t see Rosas about to risk the bad the optics and broship with Towns, and fact Warriors are using his 1st this offseason (most likely) that he used to acquire him — and short time later he becomes available. I can’t see Russell being head strong enough to know Nowell was protected and he wasn’t.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,542

Post#42 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:05 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:I think an expansion franchise would absolutely take Porzingas (or even Russell), and have one of them as the new franchise face.

Gerald Wallace wasn't cheap for Charlotte back then, and wasn't sellable as much as a *young* all star. Wiggins, I dunno. I would be worried he wouldn't try at all; but maybe the team might.

Huh? Wallace was basically a scrub when Charlotte drafted him.

I think BJ Armstrong contract was reasonably well paid by 95 standards. He made more than Pippen!

Yeah, well, just cause you are right and I was wrong; doesn't also mean I was wrong, okay?
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,749

Post#43 » by gswhoops » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:06 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
shrink wrote:Financially, I think it would be a win to turn Russell into payroll relief, and as Texas Chuck noted with Wiggins, at two years $30 mil per, it might be unlikely an expansion team has room for the salary. But he is young, and he will score, and an expansion team could market him. Also, if he’s not protected, and Seattle didn’t take him, what kind of social damage does this do? Is he upset he wasn’t protected? Is Towns? Does Rosas say, “no, you really are our future...?”

You could certainly be right here, and the next player they’d likely protect is Jaylen Nowell, who has been great in almost every opportunity he’s gotten in the crowded guard position for the Wolves. But I’m curious if others have an opinion on this?

I'd rather protect Nowell who I think would be a real candidate to be selected. But I agree with all your concerns about Russell. I think with some players you can go to him and his agent and say look the Sonics would love to have your talent but can't afford your contract and so we are exposing you merely as a mechanism to also keep this young player we really like. But with Russell, and by extension Towns, that's probably a risk not worth taking. And if they Sonics were to target Nowell, rules allow you to offer them incentive to not. So you could send them a future 2nd and a $1M or something to keep him if you wanted.

But these are my favorite protection questions. These big contracts not worth their money but that you don't necessarily want to lose. I'm only okay with leaving KP unprotected because if he got taken Dallas gains pure cap space equal to his salary and even without a star to sign I'm confident they could make good use. If Dallas was well over the cap, I'd protect him.

Interesting about the money and Sonics committing a huge chunk to Russell.

I think the draft order is huge with who they might select. Cavs and Rockets for example. They expose Wall and Love. Would the Sonics offer to select them (probably select and waive) for a swap (4 for 2 let’s say)? Sonics could improve their draft slot for someone like Suggs to excite their fan base.

Back to Russell, I just don’t see Rosas about to risk the bad the optics and broship with Towns, and fact Warriors are using his 1st this offseason (most likely) that he used to acquire him — and short time later he becomes available. I can’t see Russell being head strong enough to know Nowell was protected and he wasn’t.

Just as a gamesmanship issue, I wonder how much these lists would change if they were submitted to the league non-publicly and the league only announced the players that were selected.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,542

Post#44 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:14 pm

loserX wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:I think it would be very Morey-esque actually to have it be Paul, and offer a 2nd rounder to Seattle to not select George Hill.

If I were Seattle I'd demand more than that. I'd probably tell Philly if you leave Hill unprotected, I'm taking him and immediately putting him on the trade block, and I bet I can get more than a single 2nd from someone. So Philly can either protect him or they can be the high bidder.

HartfordWhalers wrote:Then I could see the protect Reed and offer a 2nd to keep Hill. And I think that will morph into a trade Hill and a 1st for someone picked off another team.

My previous comment may be entirely moot depending on what this proposal looks like :D

How much value does a 10m a year George Hill have? He is already 35, is down to 20mpg and 8ppg or so; I just don't have that having any surplus value at all. I think a fair number of teams might cut his non gtd instead of picking it up.

In terms of a trade, my thoughts are really based off the idea that Hill was traded for as a solid vet now, but as trade flotsam to be combine with #28, Philly '22 or '23 1st, and maybe some of Milton/Maxey/Thybulle to get a solid 4th starter (pushing Curry to 5th) post the Danny Green expiring contract.

But trying to look at what might be available, I think the easiest thing is probably to just protect Hill as I don't think an upgrade will get expansion drafted, and let Reid be picked up by Seattle.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,038

Post#45 » by daoneandonly » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:25 pm

gswhoops wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:I think an expansion franchise would absolutely take Porzingas (or even Russell), and have one of them as the new franchise face.

Ideal scenario for Dallas. They are different from Minnesota in that their star player would be happy to see him go and they would gain $30M in cap space. And I agree. I think he could easily be the first pick in the draft before they start picking up cheap young guys. Unless of course they go the way some past expansion teams did where they take on contracts from teams incentivizing them with draft picks.

Yeah honestly KP getting picked would be a win-win-win. Dallas gets immediate cap space that they can actually use, KP gets his wish to be “the man,” and the Sonics get a guy they can market as the face of the franchise

Yea to me its one of those scenarios where everyone gets what they want/need
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,531

Post#46 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:29 pm

I disagree that Porzingis is a great pick for Sonics, but we'll see in the drafting portion
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,038

Post#47 » by daoneandonly » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:29 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:Wasn't sure how to handle guys with player options (J-Rich) or team options (WCS), but here's my go for Dallas. Let me know if I missed the options explanation or how that impacts anything:

Agree with your list fwiw. As to this. If Richardson opts in I think Dallas should protect him because I believe they could flip him. Small argument of course that he's only opting in because he can't get paid which makes him negative value by default and Dallas should just take the cap space. I'd still protect him.

And with Willie, I'd assume that if Dallas picks up his option that means they want him and since they can protect him, they should protect him. Assuming that Richardson isn't being protected. Not sure what they are doing with his option. I would have been sure they are declining it but if the plan is THJ then might as well keep him and use the MLE for a 2nd signing as he had his usages and he'd be an expiring to use for potential matching.

Agree, and since there was one spot open, I added Josh to make it an even 8. Yeah im curious to see what they do with WCS, I just added him thinking his contract could potentially be used in trades as needed, but he absolutely would be expendable as needed and can just as easily have the option declined.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,818

Post#48 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:35 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:I disagree that Porzingis is a great pick for Sonics, but we'll see in the drafting portion

To me it depends what trades are available using their space. Dallas unlikely to give them something to take him, but there will be teams willing to incentivize Seattle to take contracts they no longer want.

But I would not just draft a bunch of young cheap guys. And of the guys on the unprotected lists he's the obvious choice as the high dollar player to help sell tickets and give a chance to rehab his value. Because one 65 game season where he's a 25/9 guy on plus efficiency and I promise you multiple teams will conclude Luka was his problem in Dallas and the Sonics could get nice value out of him. Teams want to believe in guys with his specific skill set. He just has to give them any reason at all to.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,454

Post#49 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:38 pm

I'll volunteer and do Orlando if no one minds.

Protected

1) Mohammed Bamba
2) Terrence Ross
3) Jonathan Isaac
4) Markelle Fultz
5) RJ Hampton
6) Wendell Carter Jr.
7) Cole Anthony
8) Chuma Okeke

Available

1) Michael Carter Williams
2) Gary Harris
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#50 » by Mike lorenzo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:42 pm

[img][/img]
daoneandonly wrote:Can we nominate who takes our team? I nominate any of Chuck, jayjay, or Mike lorenzo.

Unprotect KP friends!!

Yes, you are the one, I trust your criteria more than mine.
1+1=11
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#51 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:00 pm

The NBA lottery has occured and the top 3 is chalk with Houston, Detroit and Orlando. Reportedly Houston has targeted Cade Cunningham and Detroit Evan Mobley. After impressing in workouts Jalen Green has become the frontrunner for Orlando at #3. The Sonics have been tight lipped about their preferences but mock drafts are predicting they take Jalen Suggs.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#52 » by JediMasterRevan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:52 pm

I will rock the Celtics

Protected
1) Tatum
2) Brown
3) Smart
4) Rob WIlliams
5) Aaron Nesmith
6) Romeo Langford
7) Peyton Pritchard
8) Kemba Walker

Available
Grant Williams
Luke Kornet
Jabari Parker
Carson Edwards

Please no breaking the door down to get some of those available players.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,749

Post#53 » by gswhoops » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:55 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:The NBA lottery has occured and the top 3 is chalk with Houston, Detroit and Orlando. Reportedly Houston has targeted Cade Cunningham and Detroit Evan Mobley. After impressing in workouts Jalen Green has become the frontrunner for Orlando at #3. The Sonics have been tight lipped about their preferences but mock drafts are predicting they take Jalen Suggs.

Am I correct then that this is the full draft order?

1. Houston
2. Detroit
3. Orlando
4. Seattle
5. OKC
6. Cleveland
7. GS (from MIN)
8. Toronto
9. Orlando (from CHI)
10. Sacramento
11. NO
12. Charlotte
13. SA
14. Indiana
15. GS
16. Washington
17. Boston
18. Memphis
19. OKC (from MIA)
20. NY
21. Atlanta
22. NY (from DAL)
23. LA Lakers
24. HOU (from POR)
25. HOU (from MIL)
26. LA Clippers
27. Denver
28. Brooklyn
29. Philadelphia
30. Phoenix
31. Utah
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#54 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:57 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:Cool idea! When do we protect the players?

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using RealGM mobile app

After you sign up you can do it in this thread, I already did mine (not too many hard decisions for the Raptors, although I do like Freddie Gillespie)

Awesome, I'll take Sac!
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#55 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:57 pm

JediMasterRevan wrote:I will rock the Celtics

Protected
1) Tatum
2) Brown
3) Smart
4) Rob WIlliams
5) Aaron Nesmith
6) Romeo Langford
7) Peyton Pritchard
8) Kemba Walker

Available
Grant Williams
Luke Kornet
Jabari Parker
Carson Edwards

Surprised at Kemba protection there
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#56 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:59 pm

gswhoops wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:The NBA lottery has occured and the top 3 is chalk with Houston, Detroit and Orlando. Reportedly Houston has targeted Cade Cunningham and Detroit Evan Mobley. After impressing in workouts Jalen Green has become the frontrunner for Orlando at #3. The Sonics have been tight lipped about their preferences but mock drafts are predicting they take Jalen Suggs.

Am I correct then that this is the full draft order?

1. Houston
2. Detroit
3. Orlando
4. Seattle
5. OKC
6. Cleveland
7. GS (from MIN)
8. Toronto
9. Orlando (from CHI)
10. Sacramento
11. NO
12. Charlotte
13. SA
14. Indiana
15. GS
16. Washington
17. Boston
18. Memphis
19. OKC (from MIA)
20. NY
21. Atlanta
22. NY (from DAL)
23. LA Lakers
24. HOU (from POR)
25. HOU (from MIL)
26. LA Clippers
27. Denver
28. Brooklyn
29. Philadelphia
30. Phoenix
31. Utah

Yes, looks good to me
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man

Post#57 » by JediMasterRevan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:00 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:

Protected
1) Tatum
2) Brown
3) Smart
4) Rob WIlliams
5) Aaron Nesmith
6) Romeo Langford
7) Peyton Pritchard
8) Kemba Walker

Available
Grant Williams
Luke Kornet
Jabari Parker
Carson Edwards

Look at the other options.

I mean Kemba is good for 22ppg, 4.5rpg, 5.5apg post trade deadline. those other 4 tomato cans cannot come close to that combined.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#58 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:02 pm

JediMasterRevan wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:

Protected
1) Tatum
2) Brown
3) Smart
4) Rob WIlliams
5) Aaron Nesmith
6) Romeo Langford
7) Peyton Pritchard
8) Kemba Walker

Available
Grant Williams
Luke Kornet
Jabari Parker
Carson Edwards

I mean Kemba is good for 22ppg, 4.5rpg, 5.5apg post trade deadline. those other 4 tomato cans cannot come close to that combined.

Grant Williams might be worth keeping
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#59 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:03 pm

For Sac

Protecting :

Fox
Haliburton
Bagley
Barnes
Delon Wright
Davis (RFA)
Robert Woodard
Ramsey

Unprotected:

Buddy
Metu
Damien Jones

Obviously wish we could protect Holmes, but ya. This wasn't very difficult for Sac.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man

Post#60 » by JediMasterRevan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:05 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:
JediMasterRevan wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:

Grant Williams might be worth keeping

A 6 foot 5 inch power forward with a negative wingspan and a 12inch verticle. Not over Kemba

Return to Trades and Transactions