Report: Scott Brooks Likely to Return

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Re: Report: Scott Brooks Likely to Return 

Post#21 » by miller31time » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:55 pm

This franchise just loves to take gigantic dumps on their fans.

I guess it’s really my fault for continuing to stick around. Such a predictable decision and yet I still somehow find myself surprised.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#22 » by payitforward » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:58 pm

Come on -- cut it out
We can still be critical
What more could you ask?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#23 » by TGW » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:14 pm

I don't know why you guys are surprised. Glenn Consor basically gave it away after they lost in embarrassing fashion to the Sixers--"Scott Brooks did an excellent job this season." An analyst who works for the organization doesn't say that out loud without knowing for sure what the FO is thinking. Then the report of Westbrook saying he wants Brooks back, and that was the cherry on top.

The Washington Wizards are a mom n' pop organization. They value subjective, unmeasurable qualities like leadership, hardwork, likeability, etc. When Tommy Sheppard was "promoted" to GM (in reality, no one wanted the job), I thought about the Kevin Broom interaction with TS, where Kevin tried to explain to TS that players get objectively worse in their 30's, and TS rejected the notion by saying that advanced nutrition and training neutralizes the aging factor. This is how this front office thinks. Statistics, wins and losses, standings...these things do not matter to the Wizards. As long as they make their goal of stumbling into the playoffs, that is good enough.

Oh yea, and Westbrook can eat ****. That dude is an overated, statchasing ballhog and a career loser who chokes in the playoffs year after year. The fact that he has a say on any decision is a cotdamn joke.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 832

Post#24 » by 9 and 20 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:38 pm

keynote wrote:
payitforward wrote:I doubt there is any concern about upsetting Russ, who was MVP under Billy Donovan not Scott Brooks.

I suppose this may be Ted thinking, "how do I let him go after the way the team closed the season...?"
Or, this might be a public play to demonstrate loyalty. Give Brooks a poop offer, and leak that they're doing it to have their stars' back. If Brooks summons up enough dignity to turn this down, then Shep is free to recruit who he wants without dealing with pouty stars.

Honestly, it's more likely Brooks has had the secret extension in his pocket for months now. Leonsis is a turd. The worst kind of floating turd.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,349

Post#25 » by Kanyewest » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:42 pm

nate33 wrote:Unbelievable! What a pathetic organization!

I'll never understand this deep loyalty this team has to mediocrity. They kept Ernie forever, and now Scott freaking Brooks has the 7th longest tenure in the NBA.

1. Pops (5-time champion and HOFer)
2. Spo (2-time champion. 3 more EC championships)
3. Carlisle (1-time champ and former COTY)
4. Kerr (3-time champ and former COTY)
5. Snyder (won 60% of his games over the last 5 years. 3rd in COTY voting this year)
6. Malone (won 63% of his games in each of the last 3 seasons.)
7. Scott freaking Brooks! (losing record over 5 years with the Wizards)

Hey Scott Brooks has made it to as many NBA Finals as Carlisle, Snyder, and Malone combined :D
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#26 » by 80sballboy » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:15 pm

I was prepared for this. As soon as he came out for the press conference the next day after the loss, I knew he was coming back. Maybe as soon as they beat Charlotte and faced the Sixers or even just having that winning stretch late in the season. Or Ted is just so unwilling to change, he might have had a free pass this season.

The good news is that the entire staff is gone and I would think Ted/Zach/Russ/Brad is going to hire his replacement. Not sure who would take these jobs knowing that Scott could be gone at the drop of a hat other than young assistants that need it on their resume'. But he is obviously on a short leash. At least we think he is.

So a declining star player on a mediocre team is hiring the coaches or keeping them. Makes sense.

Was thinking about moving on from this horrific franchise but at this point, I can't get rid of them. There's no other team I'd root for and I guess I'm used to the heartache and pain.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#27 » by WallToWall » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:16 pm

Man, they make it so hard to be a fan of this team. I feel like a battered wife… I keep coming back for more, because I expect change.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,349

Post#28 » by Kanyewest » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:35 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Read on Twitter
?s=21
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Dwayne Casey is a good example of an upgrade working out (Steve Kerr as well). That being said, I'm trying to think of the last time a head coach was fired after making the playoffs with a team that didn't make the playoffs the prior season. The Raptors would essentially have had to fire back in 2014 and fired him only in 2018- it basically took them 5 seasons to ultimately to take the risk.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#29 » by verbal8 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:02 pm

JWizmentality wrote:And no one is shocked.

Still disappointed.
Dolevi
Senior
And1: 402

Post#30 » by Dolevi » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:12 pm

:noway:
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#31 » by keynote » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:38 pm

What surprises me is that we have evidence that Shep and Brooks were not always aligned. Brooks played the guys Shep didn't extend (Robinson, Wagner), and benched the guys Shep did (Brown). Shep builds a roster of non-shooting playmakers; Brooks runs an offense that sticks them in the corner to shoot 3s.

They might be genial to each other, but I don't see an aligned vision. Fred Katz has harped on this quite a bit. So, what's the plan going forward?
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
Coach76
Freshman
And1: 51

Post#32 » by Coach76 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:39 pm

It's not that hard to fire a bad coach. The Wizards can't do that either though.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#33 » by Ruzious » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:45 pm

miller31time wrote:This franchise just loves to take gigantic dumps on their fans.

I guess it’s really my fault for continuing to stick around. Such a predictable decision and yet I still somehow find myself surprised.

I'm not at all surprised, but there's still that feeling of being Charlie Brown right after Lucy kicked him in the balls and laughed at him. Peppermint Patty says "Well done sir. Charles had it coming."
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#34 » by TGW » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:51 pm

We can only hope at this point:

https://www.bulletsforever.com/2021/6/11/22527746/washington-wizards-scott-brooks-head-coach-status-update-nba

Wizards reiterate that no decision has been made regarding Scott Brooks’ status

There is a report that indicates that Scott Brooks will be extended with conditions. The Wizards have denied that that is the case.

By Albert Lee@aleeinthedmv Updated Jun 11, 2021, 2:35pm EDT

Scott Brooks is likely coming back next season. Photo by Will Newton/Getty Images

UPDATE: The Washington Wizards have reached out and denied a report by Quinton Mayo saying that the team would likely give him a new contract but would have to bring on a new group of assistant coaches. They stated that at this time, no decision has been made.

To make it clear that the original report was not official news, I removed my longer opinion on the report itself, which was much of the text of the original piece. But to summarize it, I don’t see any winners from that kind of a decision.

I’m leaving comments up here for you to discuss the topic of what the Wizards will ultimately do with their coaching staff as the offseason begins. I know, people are frustrated, even angry at the team’s direction. I am too.

But rest assured, we will have clarity on this as we head into the days and weeks ahead.

Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Eli Babak
Senior
And1: 506

Post#35 » by Eli Babak » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:02 pm

Coach76 wrote:It's not that hard to fire a bad coach. The Wizards can't do that either though.

The thing is - his contract has expired, so they could just let him go and hire a new coach. It's definitely time to move on. If they decide to retain him I'll take a long break from the Wiz.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#36 » by DCZards » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:17 pm

What makes me skeptical of Mayo’s report is the idea that they retain Brooks but fire all his assistants and hire new ones.

That’s unusual...if not unprecedented.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#37 » by 80sballboy » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:24 pm

DCZards wrote:What makes me skeptical of Mayo’s report is the idea that they retain Brooks but fire all his assistants and hire new ones.

That’s unusual...if not unprecedented.

Yeah, that part didn't make sense. Maybe subtle changes, but I still think he's coming back. He's close with Beal so unless he's giving him bad info I still say that he's correct. Though the report wasn't concrete. It says "likely to return" but now that he put it out and maybe Ted see all the negative news and some people saying they'd drop off, maybe he'd reconsi.....nah.
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 365

Post#38 » by Silvie Lysandra » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:49 pm

TGW wrote:of Westbrook saying he wants Brooks back, and that was the cherry on top.

The Washington Wizards are a mom n' pop organization. They value subjective, unmeasurable qualities like leadership, hardwork, likeability, etc.

This is going to get a bit socioeconomic, but that's why I don't cry whenever orgs like this in Bumfckistan, USA, get crushed by Wal-Mart or Amazon. The Wizards are a crappy corner store with a local monopoly, with more money to play with. The giant sucking sound is your day to day operations that are more about "connections" and "feelings" than efficiency.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#39 » by Ruzious » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:56 pm

Maybe it's an insult to mom n pop organizations to compare the Wizlets to them. I used to like relatively small hardware stores like little Aspen Hill Hardware and middle-sized Hechingers, but then came big ol' Home Depot to crush them in 5 seconds. Boo hiss. Hopefully, the littler guys got bought out for good money.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#40 » by payitforward » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:06 pm

The Wizards are not "an organization" of any kind. They are a product of an organization called Monumental Sports & Entertainment. MS&E is not a mom 'n pop organization. It's a big company with high level investors.

The reason MS&E is not responsive to its customers is b/c its customers don't seem to care what kind of a product they are being sold -- or else maybe it's that the quality of the team isn't a big part of the quality of the product. After all, when you go to a Wizards game, you get to see the other team as well as ours. You get to buy the same food & drink products that you'd get if we fielded a good team, you get the same high-quality urinal cakes that are used in other fine arenas.

As soon as people stay home, Monumental will change the way it does business. Until then, no.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....

Return to Washington Wizards