ImageImageImageImageImage

2020-2021 College/Draft Thread Part 3

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Who do you guys want the most assuming all of these players are within our range

James Bouknight
24%
Ayo Dosunmo
6%
Tre Mann
12%
Davion Mitchell
12%
Josh Giddey
18%
Jared Butler
8%
Ziaire Williams
6%
BJ Boston
2%
Moses Moody
4%
Sharife Cooper
8%

Total votes: 122

DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 42,990

Re: 2020-2021 College/Draft Thread Part 3 

Post#841 » by DaGawd » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:45 pm

Crazy how trash BJ Boston ended up being this season. Wonder if he had a strong showing in ore draft workouts and rises a bit
BaF
Washington Wizards
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#842 » by WargamesX » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:51 pm

cgf wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
WargamesX wrote:Very likely, I heard about him here and did the research. After the Hawks series I went from “I like his skills” to “We could really use his skills”

He should be there at our 1st round picks unless he dominates the combine. I don’t think he falls to the second round based on his physical profile but you never know.

I’ve been comparing him to DeAndre Hunter actually. He would definitely be a good piece here

DeAndre showed some nice playmaking & real self-creation potential in that final season. I don't think Trey showed that in college, but I do love his potential as a more pure 3&D guy, especially if he becomes a good motion shooter as he matures.

Murphy went to Virginia specifically because he wanted to be developed like Hunter was. They focused on his defense and getting him physically in better shape.

https://richmond.com/sports/college/uvas-trey-murphy-iii-grew-into-an-acc-player-after-starting-his-career-at-rice/article_23de692b-c120-5296-ba52-949a4ac10d95.html

You are right Hunter has more creative potential but Murphy is the better shooter and has been able to put the ball on the floor to take advantage of close outs. He really operates well on the corners.

Two things I like about him most is that he slides vertically to try to get open for threes and how that gravity opens up the paint for whoever is driving, and he’ll just shoot over smaller guys. At 6’9 and 7’2 wingspan that means opposing teams got to stick a good sized defender on him or he’ll abuse his defender. If the plan is to play RJ at SG in the future both those things would help him.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 32,465

Post#843 » by TheGreenArrow » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:59 pm

damedash09 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yeah we here!!!!!!!

JOSH GIDDEY FOLKS!!!!!!!

JOSH GIDDEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 32,465

Post#844 » by TheGreenArrow » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:59 pm

DaGawd wrote:Crazy how trash BJ Boston ended up being this season. Wonder if he had a strong showing in ore draft workouts and rises a bit

Some way some how he’ll end up a Knick!!!!!!
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,021

Post#845 » by moocow007 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:21 pm

DaGawd wrote:Crazy how trash BJ Boston ended up being this season. Wonder if he had a strong showing in ore draft workouts and rises a bit

Reminds me of Dante Exum and RJ Hampton. Real nice looking athleticism and length and look great going up against clearly lesser competition. But once you get them up against guys of their level you start to wonder "does this guy actually have any real basketball skills?" beyond just physically looking the part. That's Boston. It's probably worth a look for some team but it's hard to tell if the reason he looked like early season Obi Toppin is because his couldn't hit an outside shot and that sucked the confidence out of him or if he's just like that naturally (i.e. not able to play when the other guys you're going up against can also play). I think he shot much better as the season wound down but at times early on he looked lost, like he's never played the game before. That's understandable for a no name recruit out of east butthole but not from one of the top 5-7 talents in his draft class.
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 7,761

Post#846 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:08 pm

moocow007 wrote:

Reminds me of Dante Exum and RJ Hampton. Real nice looking athleticism and length and look great going up against clearly lesser competition. But once you get them up against guys of their level you start to wonder "does this guy actually have any real basketball skills?" beyond just physically looking the part. That's Boston. It's probably worth a look for some team but it's hard to tell if the reason he looked like early season Obi Toppin is because his couldn't hit an outside shot and that sucked the confidence out of him or if he's just like that naturally (i.e. not able to play when the other guys you're going up against can also play). I think he shot much better as the season wound down but at times early on he looked lost, like he's never played the game before. That's understandable for a no name recruit out of east butthole but not from one of the top 5-7 talents in his draft class.

That's the one thing Wasserman was theorizing in the last article he posted. That he was so caught off guard by the transition to college that he lost confidence in himself and stunk it up. Boston did end up shooting above 40% from three over his last 10 games. So maybe it was a sign that he was starting to put stuff together? I really wouldn't want to take a risk on it but the brain trust hasn't burned us yet.
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,614

Post#847 » by stuporman » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:14 pm

A few of the big wing types that have caught my eye with second round projections the Knicks could target are Murphy, Todd, Thor and Edwards but there may be others, I'm still scouring the video.

Knicks really need that kind of length and size with perimeter skills and defensive energy. I know they are listed at 6-9 but Randle and Obi are really closer to 6-7, though Knox may be 6-9 yet doesn't actually use it on the court.

Guys like Hunter, MPorter, Siakam and Bam are becoming more common so the 6-9 to 6-11 perimeter skilled and versatile player is something the Knicks need to add more of.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager

Post#848 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:16 pm

I do like Giddey but not enough to trade up to get him. I'm also not so sure he's the answer to the questions we have on the roster. He really need an off the bounce scorer and while Giddey's playmaking is great I don't think he'll ever be that type of guy.
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#849 » by HEZI » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:23 pm

jvsimonetti0514 wrote:I do like Giddey but not enough to trade up to get him. I'm also not so sure he's the answer to the questions we have on the roster. He really need an off the bounce scorer and while Giddey's playmaking is great I don't think he'll ever be that type of guy.

Yeah I don't see him as worth trading up for. He could be a good bench piece, especially with a player like Quickly who lacks the things Giddey brings to the table so having a stabilizing ball handler and playmaker alongside Quickly could work. But I'm not seeing Giddey being a player that offers much to the starting lineup without major changes being made to it.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#850 » by Marty McFly » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:28 pm

from ESPN insider

Over the past 20 years, only one draft class has produced four All-Stars in the top five picks. And while the 2021 draft isn't expected to be led by four future Hall of Famers, like 2003 with LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade, there's a sense within NBA circles that the top of this year's crop could end up being as strong as any we've seen in the past two decades.

"That top five is potentially as stout as any of the other drafts [since 2000]," one high-ranking NBA executive said. "There are years where the No. 1 pick would never be the No. 1 pick ever again. Some drafts lack that No. 1 pick. This one's legit. I'm a big fan. There's legit star power [in the top 5]."

Don't have an account so I don't know what the rest of the article says. :lol:

I just want this team to draft a wing who's Uber-athletic, can handle and shoot the ball. is that too much to ask for?

(I know its the glamour player archetype I'm just being sarcastic.)
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
HEZI
RealGM

Post#851 » by HEZI » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:31 pm

Jared Butler could definitely be a guy who cracks the rotation for us, with probably a good chance of starting if we can't upgrade the starting spot through free agency or trade.

I still don't think they want a rookie starting next season, so even a guy like Kendrick Nunn might get offers to fill that spot but ultimately a guy like Butler could eventually provide that same production but he's gotta go through the rookie adjustments and acclimations so it's going to require some time.
DENVER NUGGETS
stuporman
RealGM

Post#852 » by stuporman » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:33 pm

This may be a draft where there is an all-star that comes out of the second round or undrafted ranks, there definitely is enough talent depth to obscure a hidden gem that drops down or even out of it.
Image?
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager

Post#853 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:39 pm

HEZI wrote:
jvsimonetti0514 wrote:I do like Giddey but not enough to trade up to get him. I'm also not so sure he's the answer to the questions we have on the roster. He really need an off the bounce scorer and while Giddey's playmaking is great I don't think he'll ever be that type of guy.

Yeah I don't see him as worth trading up for. He could be a good bench piece, especially with a player like Quickly who lacks the things Giddey brings to the table so having a stabilizing ball handler and playmaker alongside Quickly could work. But I'm not seeing Giddey being a player that offers much to the starting lineup without major changes being made to it.

Near the end of the NBL season he was taking more off the dribble threes but nothing to give me a ton of confidence that he'd become a three level scorer. Maybe you could get him to work with our starters if he was a better athlete? Like a discount version of Ben Simmons that picked up the pace for everyone but he doesn't really have that extra gear. Maybe it's something he can improve on cuz he's a pretty lanky teen but I wouldn't count on it.
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager

Post#854 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:45 pm

Marty McFly wrote:from ESPN insider

Over the past 20 years, only one draft class has produced four All-Stars in the top five picks. And while the 2021 draft isn't expected to be led by four future Hall of Famers, like 2003 with LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade, there's a sense within NBA circles that the top of this year's crop could end up being as strong as any we've seen in the past two decades.

"That top five is potentially as stout as any of the other drafts [since 2000]," one high-ranking NBA executive said. "There are years where the No. 1 pick would never be the No. 1 pick ever again. Some drafts lack that No. 1 pick. This one's legit. I'm a big fan. There's legit star power [in the top 5]."

I just want this team to draft a wing who's Uber-athletic, can handle and shoot the ball. is that too much to ask for?

Read on Twitter

This tweet does a short breakdown of the article and the archetype of each player in the top 5. It definitely woulda been nice to have a top pick in this draft but I had way more fun watching winning basketball for once in a decade. :lol:
HEZI
RealGM

Post#855 » by HEZI » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:47 pm

jvsimonetti0514 wrote:
HEZI wrote:

Near the end of the NBL season he was taking more off the dribble threes but nothing to give me a ton of confidence that he'd become a three level scorer. Maybe you could get him to work with our starters if he was a better athlete? Like a discount version of Ben Simmons that picked up the pace for everyone but he doesn't really have that extra. Maybe it's something he can improve on cuz he's a pretty lanky teen but I wouldn't count on it.

He feels like a terrible fit for our style, as terrible as our style is, it is who we are so doubt that changes unless like I said we make major changes to the starting lineup. But we play a halfcourt style with a slower pace and the ball is in Randle's hands a lot where he's initiating a lot of the offense (not that he should but he does) . Giddey doesn't have much of an off the ball game, maybe he can knock some shots down here and there but nothing to the point where I would trust him to be a reliable kick out option. He seems way better suited for an open transition game, with athletes and shooters and ball handling where guys are making quick decisions with the ball. That's not our style, we're a dump it to Randle for shot clock burning 1 on 3 type of team. With our bench, I think he could be fine playing next to IQ and Obi and others, but with the starters I just see a terrible fit.
DENVER NUGGETS
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 99,642

Post#856 » by mpharris36 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:51 pm

jvsimonetti0514 wrote:

Read on Twitter

This tweet does a short breakdown of the article and the archetype of each player in the top 5. It definitely woulda been nice to have a top pick in this draft but I had way more fun watching winning basketball for once in a decade. :lol:

Suggs I feel fits everything thibs would love in a PG. He is a football player too. I think you still would have had to take Cade #1 if we had it. But suggs would be a perfect fit more so then the rest of the top 5.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
stuporman
RealGM

Post#857 » by stuporman » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:53 pm

The reason the Knicks played a slower half court pace was because they didn't have many guards who pushed the pace and made them run. This doesn't change by saying every player who does get out and run doesn't fit the Knicks and never adding any player that does.

Catch 22....want to run? Then get players that run not refuse to add them because you think the Knicks 'don't run'. :rofl:
Image?
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager

Post#858 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:58 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
jvsimonetti0514 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Suggs I feel fits everything thibs would love in a PG. He is a football player too. I think you still would have had to take Cade #1 if we had it. But suggs would be a perfect fit more so then the rest of the top 5.

I feel like Suggs and green would probably be the best fits for us in the top 5. Just for the simple reason of both of them being the most explosive athletes. Don't get me wrong cade is really good but I did read somewhere that he was actually pretty inefficient on his 2 fg%. I'm sure NBA spacing would help out with his self creation but guys are much longer in the NBA. It's nice to have a tough shot maker but the separation a guy like Green can create would be tough to pass up IMO.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#859 » by dakomish23 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:00 pm

21&22 for 14

That’s what I hope
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
NewKnicks
Sixth Man
And1: 756

Post#860 » by NewKnicks » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:00 pm

jvsimonetti0514 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

That's the one thing Wasserman was theorizing in the last article he posted. That he was so caught off guard by the transition to college that he lost confidence in himself and stunk it up. Boston did end up shooting above 40% from three over his last 10 games. So maybe it was a sign that he was starting to put stuff together? I really wouldn't want to take a risk on it but the brain trust hasn't burned us yet.

ESPN+
EXCLUSIVE CONTENT
GET ESPN+
NBA draft 2021: Cade Cunningham, Jalen Green and the rest of the top five could be historically great
play
4:00 AM MT
Mike Schmitz

It's no secret the draft is an inexact science. Nikola Jokic, Giannis Antetokounmpo and Stephen Curry, who've combined to win five of the past seven MVP awards, were all drafted outside the top five. There will surely be players projected outside the top five of this draft who turn into NBA stars. But less than two weeks away from the NBA draft lottery, which will determine the final pick order, teams are waiting anxiously in hopes of landing inside the coveted top five, and for good reason. Cade Cunningham, Jalen Green, Evan Mobley, Jalen Suggs and Jonathan Kuminga all represent game-changing prospects, each for a different reason.

Hey Jim or Melo.. Do you have ESPN Plus? Would you mind posting the rest of this article? I'd love to read it but I don't have ESPN Plus. Thanks to whoever posts it.

Return to New York Knicks