Celtics/Bulls/Thunder Might Need Balancing

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Celtics/Bulls/Thunder Might Need Balancing 

Post#1 » by bondom34 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:42 am

Not really sure if I like this or hate it yet, but haven't posted a trade in a while. The financials:

https://tradenba.com/trades/2m67D7Uc5

Celtics Out: Walker, Thompson, G. Williams
In: Horford, Satoransky

Boston moves on from Kemba, bringing back a familiar face and a rotation guard. A slight change from the potential Walker for Horford deal.

Bulls Out: Satoranksy, Aminu, Brown
In: Walker, Roby

Chicago leverages some cap space to bring in an upgrade to the starting PG spot. It might not be an ideal fit, but not sure they do much better and it moves them further along with Lavine/Vuc. They take a shot on Roby who's at least a rotation big too.

Thunder Out: Horford, Roby
In: Aminu, Thompson, G. Williams, Brown

OKC moves on from Horford and ends up with nothing but expirings other than Williams.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Re: Celtics/Bulls/Thunder Might Need Balancing 

Post#2 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:45 am

Bulls need at least No. 16 to even talk about this and the answer should still be no on their end.

Also, this too good for OKC. They'd get cut out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,257

Post#3 » by hugepatsfan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:58 am

If the Bulls are willing to take Kemba I think there's a deal to be made for sure. I don't think BOS would want to pull in OKC. If you go out and decide you're going to attach assets to move Kemba because you want to save money, it's hard to justify it for an overpaid player who will either be overpaid again next year or sitting on the cap as $14.5M of dead money that you're still paying tax on. So I would leave it as a two teamer.

In order to match salary on Brown, CHI has to send out Sato/Aminu/Brown like you have. Now, CHI is going to need incentive to take on Kemba. That's for sure. One issue there is that I don't think CHI would commit to this before free agency. So not sure we could use current picks as the incentive. They have to take their chances with guys like Ball, Conley, CP3, etc first. Then they can come back to this. Another issue is that because CHI is barely matching salary, the equation is thrown off if they take back any of BOS's young players (Nesmith, Langford, G Williams, etc.). So I think by process of elimination you have to look at future picks as the incentive BOS would send.

The incentive to dump Horford on a rebuilding OKC team was a 2025 1st for example. Like Horford, Kemba is still good, just overpaid. CHI is trying to improve on the court and they have a huge need at Kemba's spot. Not an ideal fit, like OP mentioned, but he is an upgrade. So not sure what appropriate incentive is but I think you're looking at some combination of future picks.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by bondom34 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:09 am

hugepatsfan wrote:If the Bulls are willing to take Kemba I think there's a deal to be made for sure. I don't think BOS would want to pull in OKC. If you go out and decide you're going to attach assets to move Kemba because you want to save money, it's hard to justify it for an overpaid player who will either be overpaid again next year or sitting on the cap as $14.5M of dead money that you're still paying tax on. So I would leave it as a two teamer.

In order to match salary on Brown, CHI has to send out Sato/Aminu/Brown like you have. Now, CHI is going to need incentive to take on Kemba. That's for sure. One issue there is that I don't think CHI would commit to this before free agency. So not sure we could use current picks as the incentive. They have to take their chances with guys like Ball, Conley, CP3, etc first. Then they can come back to this. Another issue is that because CHI is barely matching salary, the equation is thrown off if they take back any of BOS's young players (Nesmith, Langford, G Williams, etc.). So I think by process of elimination you have to look at future picks as the incentive BOS would send.

The incentive to dump Horford on a rebuilding OKC team was a 2025 1st for example. Like Horford, Kemba is still good, just overpaid. CHI is trying to improve on the court and they have a huge need at Kemba's spot. Not an ideal fit, like OP mentioned, but he is an upgrade. So not sure what appropriate incentive is but I think you're looking at some combination of future picks.

Yeah a lot of the last paragraph is what I was thinking, but didn't think the Celtics would be as interested in a shorter term downgrade.

Now if they'd just take the Bulls stuff here in terms of expirings and send whatever else, that would work too. Was thinking the Bulls wouldn't want to send much in terms of win now assets and Boston may want them.

If its just the Bulls/Celtics, that might work best if Boston would rather.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#5 » by Resistance » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:15 am

How is the situation in Chicago going to be significantly different than the situation in Boston?

Vucevic and LaVine like to put up shots as do Tatum and Brown. Being traded to Chicago will make Walker an expensive #3 again.

If Boston is including enough incentive, then that is different.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,902

Post#6 » by ChettheJet » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:03 pm

This article lists 5 possible Kemba trades

https://sports.yahoo.com/kemba-walker-trade-five-hypothetical-150442455.html

The proposed Bulls deal is much closer to what helps BOS with the expiring contracts of Young, Aminu and Satoransky, balances the money leaving the Bulls with room to fill the holes they still have and the protected picks are compensation for relieving BOS or Walker's contract.

If Walker sees the chance with the Bulls to be the leader they lack, be #3 (is he going to be a 1 or 2 with any winning team?) and maybe slide to #4 if Patrick Williams gets the confidence to take the basketball KW could see a way to win and stick it to all the teams that didn't think he was the answer. That is always a strong motivation.

I'm sure the Bulls would rather have CP3 if he gives a clue he wants to go to CHI, Maybe Ball is younger and cheaper but longer term too, another question is what would a John Wall trade look like. The edge to a Kemba deal is BOS wants to move him and are probably willing to add value to do it. There will likely be a bidding war for Paul and maybe Ball and HOU probably wants rebuilding assets in a Wall trade
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,027

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:25 pm

I can understand Boston wanting to turn Kemba into Horford. It would balance the roster, save some money, and get a more natural hierarchy of shots in the lineup. Clear a spot for Smart to start as he heads into his free agency year, etc. I just don’t know why Chicago would give up pure expirings (mostly useful), and a young wing that they seemed to like a little for Kemba. I feel like they should be compensated here in some way, and I’m not sure of the fit. Seems like they’d need a Coby deal lined up right after.

Mostly, it just seems like OKC is siphoning off value here in getting pure expirings for Horford, especially in two guys (Aminu and Thompson) that they could likely re-flip at the deadline to a contender for a 2nd or so. They may not value Brown and Grant Williams, but I feel like the Bulls and Celtics do, so it seems weird that OKC is getting compensated for dealing Horford for expirings. I think this is where the deal, value-wise falls apart.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by bondom34 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:58 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:I can understand Boston wanting to turn Kemba into Horford. It would balance the roster, save some money, and get a more natural hierarchy of shots in the lineup. Clear a spot for Smart to start as he heads into his free agency year, etc. I just don’t know why Chicago would give up pure expirings (mostly useful), and a young wing that they seemed to like a little for Kemba. I feel like they should be compensated here in some way, and I’m not sure of the fit. Seems like they’d need a Coby deal lined up right after.

Mostly, it just seems like OKC is siphoning off value here in getting pure expirings for Horford, especially in two guys (Aminu and Thompson) that they could likely re-flip at the deadline to a contender for a 2nd or so. They may not value Brown and Grant Williams, but I feel like the Bulls and Celtics do, so it seems weird that OKC is getting compensated for dealing Horford for expirings. I think this is where the deal, value-wise falls apart.

Fair, this might be a "cut OKC out" deal in the end. Was thinking they could take back worse money but neither team really has any to make it work, maybe I underestimated Aminu and Brown as well. Scrap that one (unless there's something OKC could do to balance reasonably but less sure there).

Edit: The initial Walker Bleacher Report article had him wanting to go to a ready to win situation, which had me thinking. Was trying to get Horford to Boston, Kemba to "X", and whatever from "X" to OKC. Didn't think OKC would take a guy who didn't want to be there.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#9 » by JediMasterRevan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:58 pm

Bulls need to make a trade for Kemba or they will lose the Lavine next offseason.

They are not getting anyone better than Kemba.

Return to Trades and Transactions