sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 219

Re: Fire Steve Kerr 

Post#82 » by sonnyhill » Wed Jun 2, 2021 4:24 pm

a8bil wrote:
sonnyhill wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
A silly argument. Kerr said, “We're counting on having Steph here for a long time -- many, many years ahead. ... we're not throwing Steph out there for 40 minutes to chase wins."

This was back in February, not exactly during thick of the playoff race. I take it that you would have preferred to play Steph 40 minutes a night for the last three months of the season to try and secure a low playoff spot? I'm with Kerr on this one, that would have been foolish.

Curry, being the highest paid player on the team, should be expected to embrace whatever it takes to win, get the team into the playoffs, push for a championship run AND put maximal effort in recruiting other stars, role players, veterans, etc. during the off season.

Kerr could have eased Wiseman into the rotation, helped the kid develop confidence, and given Wiseman a clearly defined role with the team. Wiseman's disjointed development, combined with a season-ending knee injury, and the team not making the playoffs is disrespectful to Curry, Green, and Looney; the ownership group; and the fanbase.

Kerr does deserve much credit for finding roles for both Poole and JTA in the rotation and for emphasizing defense for this past season's team.

Curry's game requires him to be running upwards of 6 miles per game. Doing "whatever it takes" is exactly not what he should be doing. His productivity will fall off a cliff if you run him more into the ground than they are already doing. Curry is only effective when his legs are fresh...they clearly weren't by the end of the season.

I love how the RGM pundits all like to view the season with 20/20 hindsight. Of course it made sense to sit Wiseman to allow an undersized G-league journeyman in JTA to get more valuable minutes. Come on...Kerr was working with patchwork and used the season to coax out credible performances from some pretty marginal NBA talent.

Let's see just how committed Curry is to both the Warriors and to winning, especially now that it is contract extension time.

If Curry follows the lead set by both Tim Duncan and Tom Brady (and KD during his tenure with the Warriors) where he takes less money so that the team can go out and get other players, then Curry truly is Warrior team guy committed to winning. If not, then he is no different than any other aging superstar.

Back to Kerr...the two KPIs which to measure Kerr's performance this past season were 1. Get the Warriors into the playoffs and 2. Develop Wiseman. Kerr failed on both. Should he, Kerr, be fired? Perhaps not; yet, he failed dismally this past season. It might be time to shake up the franchise, replace Myers with Kerr and have Kerr make the hire for a younger and more dynamic coach.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,247

Post#83 » by xdrta+ » Wed Jun 2, 2021 4:44 pm

sonnyhill wrote:
a8bil wrote:
sonnyhill wrote:
Curry, being the highest paid player on the team, should be expected to embrace whatever it takes to win, get the team into the playoffs, push for a championship run AND put maximal effort in recruiting other stars, role players, veterans, etc. during the off season.

Kerr could have eased Wiseman into the rotation, helped the kid develop confidence, and given Wiseman a clearly defined role with the team. Wiseman's disjointed development, combined with a season-ending knee injury, and the team not making the playoffs is disrespectful to Curry, Green, and Looney; the ownership group; and the fanbase.

Kerr does deserve much credit for finding roles for both Poole and JTA in the rotation and for emphasizing defense for this past season's team.

Curry's game requires him to be running upwards of 6 miles per game. Doing "whatever it takes" is exactly not what he should be doing. His productivity will fall off a cliff if you run him more into the ground than they are already doing. Curry is only effective when his legs are fresh...they clearly weren't by the end of the season.

I love how the RGM pundits all like to view the season with 20/20 hindsight. Of course it made sense to sit Wiseman to allow an undersized G-league journeyman in JTA to get more valuable minutes. Come on...Kerr was working with patchwork and used the season to coax out credible performances from some pretty marginal NBA talent.

Let's see just how committed Curry is to both the Warriors and to winning, especially now that it is contract extension time.

If Curry follows the lead set by both Tim Duncan and Tom Brady (and KD during his tenure with the Warriors) where he takes less money so that the team can go out and get other players, then Curry truly is Warrior team guy committed to winning. If not, then he is no different than any other aging superstar.

Back to Kerr...the two KPIs which to measure Kerr's performance this past season were 1. Get the Warriors into the playoffs and 2. Develop Wiseman. Kerr failed on both. Should he, Kerr, be fired? Perhaps not; yet, he failed dismally this past season. It might be time to shake up the franchise, replace Myers with Kerr and have Kerr make the hire for a younger and more dynamic coach.

Please explain how it would work, that Curry takes less money and that gives the Warriors more money to go out and get other players. Because I have a feeling you don't know how the cap works.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#84 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 8:10 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
sonnyhill wrote:
a8bil wrote:

Please explain how it would work, that Curry takes less money and that gives the Warriors more money to go out and get other players. Because I have a feeling you don't know how the cap works.

It would work, but Klay, Dray, and Curry all would have to do it on their next contracts ... and Wiggins assuming he sticks around.

Did the NBA close the loophole the Spurs used with Duncan of committing to him being a lifetime employee after he retires because staff salaries are not part of the cap. :)
Kuya
Assistant Coach
And1: 808

Post#85 » by Kuya » Fri Jun 4, 2021 7:12 am

Kerr definitely needs to stay for the remainder of the Splash Bro era, but I think people in this forum give Kerr too much of a pass on a lot of things. He messed up with Wiseman this year.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#86 » by shazam_guy » Sun Jun 6, 2021 7:42 pm

How? Please feel free to outline a superior strategy.
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#87 » by marthafokker » Sun Jun 6, 2021 8:35 pm

Kerr does a lot of stupid stuffs. But there are so many bad options out there. Now, if Spurs want to swap for Pop, I do that in a heartbeat. But not too many options to upgrade from Kerr.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#88 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Jun 6, 2021 9:59 pm

I see a lot of Warriors fans suggesting Kerr made a lot of mistakes in a way that reeks of revisionist history.

Before the season the majority of Warriors fans wanted Wiseman to start so he could develop into a contributing rotation player asap. That made perfect sense and voila, that's exactly what Kerr did.

In early March Kerr announced that the coaching staff and the FO had discussed it and agreed that Wiseman needed to play more minutes and more regular minutes because that's what he needed to develop and the team needed him to develop to be competitive.

I heard no Warriors fans complaining at the time.

Now I see quite a few Warriors fans complaining that Kerr botched Wiseman's development and sabotaged our season by playing Wiseman too much too quickly.

What are we to make of this? Did Kerr make mistakes in his handling of Wiseman or not?
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#89 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 10:41 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:I see a lot of Warriors fans suggesting Kerr made a lot of mistakes in a way that reeks of revisionist history.

Before the season the majority of Warriors fans wanted Wiseman to start so he could develop into a contributing rotation player asap. That made perfect sense and voila, that's exactly what Kerr did.

In early March Kerr announced that the coaching staff and the FO had discussed it and agreed that Wiseman needed to play more minutes and more regular minutes because that's what he needed to develop and the team needed him to develop to be competitive.

I heard no Warriors fans complaining at the time.

Now I see quite a few Warriors fans complaining that Kerr botched Wiseman's development and sabotaged our season by playing Wiseman too much too quickly.

What are we to make of this? Did Kerr make mistakes in his handling of Wiseman or not?

I complained. I thought he should not start. I wanted to start Chriss to start the season. Of course then Chriss struggled in pre-season and then got injured like the first week of the season.

When I said repeatedly that Wiseman shouldn't start before the season I was routinely derided for the opinion.

And I'm not someone saying Wiseman is a bust or should be traded. He was drafted KNOWING he needed a lot of time to develop into a real NBA player, and he certainly showed that he has talent and ability but that he's very very raw.

He needs time and the Warriors plan to give it to him.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#90 » by WarriorGM » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:46 am

I wanted to Wiseman to start—to quickly determine if he had something to give this first year.

He looked okay the first couple of games then looked frazzled with the instruction he was getting.

When it became clear he was not contributing or unable to as hoped he should have been yanked and put on the slow train like Jordan Bell and Damian Jones were. Jordan Bell played better his first year than Wiseman but Wiseman was given more run. Given the circumstances it should have been the opposite.

Kerr has been inconsistent on a number of things for a long time now but he's given a free pass. He's like Draymond.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#91 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:35 am

WarriorGM wrote:I wanted to Wiseman to start—to quickly determine if he had something to give this first year.

He looked okay the first couple of games then looked frazzled with the instruction he was getting.

When it became clear he was not contributing or unable to as hoped he should have been yanked and put on the slow train like Jordan Bell and Damian Jones were. Jordan Bell played better his first year than Wiseman but Wiseman was given more run. Given the circumstances it should have been the opposite.

Kerr has been inconsistent on a number of things for a long time now but he's given a free pass. He's like Draymond.

Bell, 4 years older as a rookie than Wiseman, got all of 27 TOTAL MINUTES less playing time than Wiseman.

You are a joke.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#92 » by WarriorGM » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:43 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:I wanted to Wiseman to start—to quickly determine if he had something to give this first year.

Bell, 4 years older as a rookie than Wiseman, got all of 27 TOTAL MINUTES less playing time than Wiseman.

You are a joke.

82 game season with the greatest team of all-time which if anything should see the team coasting in the regular season giving the stars rest and bench players ample time to develop vs. 72 game season with the worst team in the league and every game counting. Bell then got played less minutes in his second year and the stars fell apart in the playoffs.

Wiseman would have gotten even more minutes if he didn't get injured.

You are a joke if you don't see the issue.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,234

Post#93 » by Impuniti » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:51 pm

Fun to watch the Bucks. Giannis brings the ball up and shoots 8 3s a game, both awful decisions. Terrible decisions in every way. Imagine having that coach over the terrible Steve Kerr. :lol:
ahmetmekin
Pro Prospect
And1: 476

Post#94 » by ahmetmekin » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:47 pm

Impuniti wrote:Fun to watch the Bucks. Giannis brings the ball up and shoots 8 3s a game, both awful decisions. Terrible decisions in every way. Imagine having that coach over the terrible Steve Kerr. :lol:

The Bucks would have been up 2-1 with an average coach. Pathetic coaching job so far.
At the same time, Giannis is not able to adjust. His decision making looks terrible.
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,296

Post#95 » by GunnerWRX » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:54 pm

Kerr unleashed Curry and we got 3 rings. However, his system never got anything going when Steph is on the bench. We are talking about a team with KD, Klay, Draymond, prime Iguodala, Livingston etc etc with many solid vets.

Only in 1 season did he manage to get a positive net rating with Steph off court over the 5 year run, and it was at +0.1 only.

I mean, how is that even possible with KD (3 of 5 seasons) and Klay?

http://www.82games.com/1415/1415GSW.HTM
http://www.82games.com/1516/1516GSW.HTM
http://www.82games.com/1617/1617GSW.HTM
http://www.82games.com/1718/1718GSW.HTM
http://www.82games.com/1819/1819GSW.HTM

I give him credit for getting this season's team to be a top-5 defensive team.

However, I think Kerr is only good for until Steph retires.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#96 » by xdrta+ » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:18 pm

GunnerWRX wrote:Kerr unleashed Curry and we got 3 rings. However, his system never got anything going when Steph is on the bench. We are talking about a team with KD, Klay, Draymond, prime Iguodala, Livingston etc etc with many solid vets.

Only in 1 season did he manage to get a positive net rating with Steph off court over the 5 year run, and it was at +0.1 only.

The end of the bench played a lot of 4th quarters during those years. I'm don't imagine that helped the ratings any.
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,296

Post#97 » by GunnerWRX » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:09 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
GunnerWRX wrote:Kerr unleashed Curry and we got 3 rings. However, his system never got anything going when Steph is on the bench. We are talking about a team with KD, Klay, Draymond, prime Iguodala, Livingston etc etc with many solid vets.

The end of the bench played a lot of 4th quarters during those years. I'm don't imagine that helped the ratings any.

Good point. I am not sure if it is possible to get "non-garbage time" net ratings with Steph on/off court. I am interested in seeing it.

Without stats, through eye test, Kerr has always been trying to figure out how to play when Steph rests - remember those Klay/David West combination tinkering? He has always been trying to figure out how/who to play at the start of the 2nd and 4th quarters, without great success.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#98 » by WarriorGM » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:34 pm

Last year the Warriors win 15 games. This year they win 39. What coaching changes did Kerr implement that resulted in the change? The only thing I can think of is he got out of Curry's way and stopped weighing him down with players that don't play well with him.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#99 » by xdrta+ » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:02 am

WarriorGM wrote:Last year the Warriors win 15 games. This year they win 39. What coaching changes did Kerr implement that resulted in the change? The only thing I can think of is he got out of Curry's way and stopped weighing him down with players that don't play well with him.

Seriously? You're comparing last year when Curry played 5 games with this year when he played 63 games? Yeah, it must be because of coaching changes and that Kerr got out of Curry's way. What else could it possibly be?
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#100 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:55 am

xdrta+ wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:Last year the Warriors win 15 games. This year they win 39. What coaching changes did Kerr implement that resulted in the change? The only thing I can think of is he got out of Curry's way and stopped weighing him down with players that don't play well with him.

Seriously? You're comparing last year when Curry played 5 games with this year when he played 63 games? Yeah, it must be because of coaching changes and that Kerr got out of Curry's way. What else could it possibly be?

He means he LITERALLY got out of his way. Last year Kerr is the one who tripped Curry by not getting out of his way, they just lied that it was a game injury.

Return to Golden State Warriors