ImageImageImage

MIAMI HEAT Offseason Thread 2021

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

NBADraft2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,123

Re: MIAMI HEAT Offseason Thread 2021 

Post#661 » by NBADraft2003 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:13 pm

twix2500 wrote:
Beenie wrote:If Reggie Jackson could be had at a number less than what Nunn will command, I'd favor Jax to provide the PG depth.

TBC, I still prioritize a higher quality PG/perimeter playmaker than either guy.
I was wondering could trading Nunn for Reggie and Ibaka work.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Clips not doing that, no reason too. Besides, both them dudes wanted to be where they’re at because of PG and Kawhi.
SA37
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Post#662 » by SA37 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:14 pm

heat4life wrote:
SA37 wrote:Stars are in short supply, especially the franchise-changing variety. However, there are a few who may become available this summer: Kawhi, Lillard, Beal, Ben Simmons, DeMar DeRozan, Kyle Lowry.

Plus you have All-star calibre guys who are also likely to be available: Kemba Walker, Kristaps Porzingis, Malcolm Brogdon, Myles Turner, Al Horford (granted, his best days may be behind him).

Of the guys mentioned above, I think Miami has a real shot at getting Lowry, DeRozan, and Beal (if he were to try to force his exit from Washington).

Being optimistic, but conservative, if Miami manages to get Lowry and re-signs Oladipo, you’re talking about a Miami team that would feature 4 players in the top-50 in the league, 2 of whom are arguably in the top-25.

Miami is going to have to model itself after Utah and Phoenix, not Brooklyn, the Clippers, or the Lakers.

Did you just sneak-in Ben Simmons name in your franchise changing players list? :o :lol:

No, I understand the confusion, but that would assume I also think DeRozan and Kyle Lowry are franchise-changing stars, which they aren’t. The only two I’d say are franchise-changing are Kawhi and Lillard.

Still, Simmons is a very good two-way player, but his ability to be THE guy on a team is questionable because he is just so handicapped offensively and is not someone you could count on to get you buckets down the stretch.
dagger151
Sophomore
And1: 308

Post#663 » by dagger151 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:25 pm

Everyone giving Riley the smackdown needs to chill. I seem to remember being in the same situation (or worse) a ccouple years ago when we got Jimmy and found a way to unload Whiteside while getting expiring contracts in return for flexibility. We parted with a fan favorite in J Rich in the process.

Fast forward to now. We are presented with options. While we dont have picks to sweeten deals, we do have Precious ( a 1st rounder) and can use Herro (another 1st rounder). Have to keep Jimmy and Bam and add a scorer and some complimentary pieces. Nunn and D Rob can be kept at reasonable contracts or you drop them. Dragic/Iggy can be used in a S&T.

I am frustrated too, but somehow, Riley pulls magic out of his hat when we least expect it why is why he is the Godfather. This is his last hurrah, no way he goes out on a bad note. Lets trust our "PROCESS" and see what happens this summer. Get over landing a superstar, its not happeneing unless you send out Bam or Jimmy (or both), and we dont necessarily need it. Find someone to defend the 3, we are so bad at it and in todays NBA, you will lose if you cant. Phoenix is a good example of how leading the NBA playoffs in 3 pt defense and opp FG% leads to tops in OPP total points/gm at 98 points. Generally today if you hold teams under 100, you win.

Trust Riley and Andy.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,713

Post#664 » by AirP. » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:32 pm

There's gambling odds for Lillard IF Portland decided to move him.
Read on Twitter
AirP.
RealGM

Post#665 » by AirP. » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:02 pm

dagger151 wrote:Everyone giving Riley the smackdown needs to chill. I seem to remember being in the same situation (or worse) a ccouple years ago when we got Jimmy and found a way to unload Whiteside while getting expiring contracts in return for flexibility. We parted with a fan favorite in J Rich in the process.

Fast forward to now. We are presented with options. While we dont have picks to sweeten deals, we do have Precious ( a 1st rounder) and can use Herro (another 1st rounder). Have to keep Jimmy and Bam and add a scorer and some complimentary pieces. Nunn and D Rob can be kept at reasonable contracts or you drop them. Dragic/Iggy can be used in a S&T.

I am frustrated too, but somehow, Riley pulls magic out of his hat when we least expect it why is why he is the Godfather. This is his last hurrah, no way he goes out on a bad note. Lets trust our "PROCESS" and see what happens this summer. Get over landing a superstar, its not happeneing unless you send out Bam or Jimmy (or both), and we dont necessarily need it. Find someone to defend the 3, we are so bad at it and in todays NBA, you will lose if you cant. Phoenix is a good example of how leading the NBA playoffs in 3 pt defense and opp FG% leads to tops in OPP total points/gm at 98 points. Generally today if you hold teams under 100, you win.

Trust Riley and Andy.

Butler was a unique situation, Miami only got him because he was sold on Miami from D.Wade before he even met with Miami and actually agreed to sign with Miami in the first few minutes, there was no selling Miami to Butler because D.Wade already sold him on the environment. Not only did it cost Richardson, it also cost Miami a 1st round pick to reroute Harkless in the trade to the Clippers.

This FO has been bad for a while and was given a reprieve when Butler forced his way to Miami(not sure where this team would be without Butler). Miami could have had CP3 for very little but "future cap space" didn't let that happen. Last year's team could have been strengthened more with Gallo and Noel but once again "future cap space" didn't allow that to happen, that addition may have strengthened Miami's chance at a a title last year.

I still don't get why fans and even local reporters have said Miami gave up nothing for Oladipo, it'll be interesting to see how these same people react when they realize they're going to drop back 5-10 spots in the 1st round because of the swap in the 2022 draft in the Oladipo, that draft could also be the double draft if the NBA allows HS players to enter the NBA that offseason.

Miami's FO also got played by Giannis with trying to create space for him and Giannis waiting 3 weeks after free agency started so there'd be a chance Miami didn't strengthen their roster and actually the roster got worse with losing their starting PF for future cap space. There really wasn't a good reason for Giannis to wait to sign his supermax other then to keep Miami hopeful and trying to keep the roster flexible enough to get him the next offseason.

The FO hasn't done much at all since being gifted Butler 2 seasons ago.
heat4life
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 6,258

Post#666 » by heat4life » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:16 pm

AirP. wrote:
dagger151 wrote:Everyone giving Riley the smackdown needs to chill. I seem to remember being in the same situation (or worse) a ccouple years ago when we got Jimmy and found a way to unload Whiteside while getting expiring contracts in return for flexibility. We parted with a fan favorite in J Rich in the process.

Trust Riley and Andy.

Butler was a unique situation, Miami only got him because he was sold on Miami from D.Wade before he even met with Miami and actually agreed to sign with Miami in the first few minutes, there was no selling Miami to Butler because D.Wade already sold him on the environment. Not only did it cost Richardson, it also cost Miami a 1st round pick to reroute Harkless in the trade to the Clippers.

This FO has been bad for a while and was given a reprieve when Butler forced his way to Miami(not sure where this team would be without Butler). Miami could have had CP3 for very little but "future cap space" didn't let that happen. Last year's team could have been strengthened more with Gallo and Noel but once again "future cap space" didn't allow that to happen, that addition may have strengthened Miami's chance at a a title last year.

I still don't get why fans and even local reporters have said Miami gave up nothing for Oladipo, it'll be interesting to see how these same people react when they realize they're going to drop back 5-10 spots in the 1st round because of the swap in the 2022 draft in the Oladipo, that draft could also be the double draft if the NBA allows HS players to enter the NBA that offseason.

Miami's FO also got played by Giannis with trying to create space for him and Giannis waiting 3 weeks after free agency started so there'd be a chance Miami didn't strengthen their roster and actually the roster got worse with losing their starting PF for future cap space. There really wasn't a good reason for Giannis to wait to sign his supermax other then to keep Miami hopeful and trying to keep the roster flexible enough to get him the next offseason.

The FO hasn't done much at all since being gifted Butler 2 seasons ago.

AirP, you might be reading too much into things. Giannis first priority was to stay with the Bucks. He waited because he wanted to make sure there were upgrade deals lined up before committing long term. Waiting until his decision was made was the price SEVERAL teams paid. How upset would you be today if Miami used their cap flexibility resigning our role players long term only to find out 1-2 weeks later that you had a shot at Giannis. Let's not play the result. If you want a chance at a big move, you want to keep your cap flexibility. We missed on one of the targets - it takes two to make a deal - but we kept that flexibility to take another shot. This is much better than resigning Dion Waiters and James Johnson to cap killing long term deals.

On a side note, and not directed at you, but why do we keep pounding on the Crowder decision. Do we really think he would help us go to the NBA Finals again? Do we even make it past the Bucks with him? This team needs more than just Crowder and we have the flexibility to still go get it.
ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP
Vertical Limit
RealGM
And1: 5,386

Post#667 » by Vertical Limit » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:35 pm

I dont want to bring the board down but having watched almost every game in the playoffs so far… we are so far away from winning a title… just speaking the truth…

When you see what Trae Young is doing, Luka, Kawhi, Donovan, Jokic, Embiid, Durant, Harden… ja Morant… i just named a bunch of players that each are better than any two top players in our roster, combined. I would trade Bam and Butler for any one of those players and some of those GM’s would laugh and hang up the phone.

Thats why im calling for us to blow it up before its too late… dont wait until Jimmy gets old… and then you have Bam and a bunch or scrubs… wasting his career away like we did to Wade from 07-09. (His best years after the olympics). if theres a superstar to be had, give up everyone and pair that superstar with Bam
Kobewade11
General Manager
And1: 15,658

Post#668 » by Kobewade11 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:46 pm

Vertical Limit wrote:I dont want to bring the board down but having watched almost every game in the playoffs so far… we are so far away from winning a title… just speaking the truth…

When you see what Trae Young is doing, Luka, Kawhi, Donovan, Jokic, Embiid, Durant, Harden… ja Morant… i just named a bunch of players that each are better than any two top players in our roster, combined. I would trade Bam and Butler for any one of those players and some of those GM’s would laugh and hang up the phone.

Thats why im calling for us to blow it up before its too late… dont wait until Jimmy gets old… and then you have Bam and a bunch or scrubs… wasting his career away like we did to Wade from 07-09. (His best years after the olympics). if theres a superstar to be had, give up everyone and pair that superstar with Bam

Players have to step up. Nobody here can watch the Bucks series and tell me that was the absolute best Bam could play, that it was the best Jimmy or Herro can play. So we can sit here and whine about the front office all day but players still have to show up. Regarding trading Jimmy, I think a lot of you overestimate what he'd fetch on the trade market. I've mentioned this before but his reputation around the league precedes him, you're not getting a "superstar" for him. The best we'd get is a McCollum or maybe a Paul George, which puts us roughly in the same position. The guy I've brought up and think we should check in on is DeAaron Fox.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#669 » by AirP. » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:22 pm

heat4life wrote:
AirP, you might be reading too much into things. Giannis first priority was to stay with the Bucks. He waited because he wanted to make sure there were upgrade deals lined up before committing long term.

He waited THREE WEEKS after the JRUE trade which the Bucks basically mortgaged the future, the team had been basically set set before December and Giannis signed in the middle of December.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIL/2021_transactions.html

Waiting until his decision was made was the price SEVERAL teams paid. How upset would you be today if Miami used their cap flexibility resigning our role players long term only to find out 1-2 weeks later that you had a shot at Giannis. Let's not play the result. If you want a chance at a big move, you want to keep your cap flexibility. We missed on one of the targets - it takes two to make a deal - but we kept that flexibility to take another shot. This is much better than resigning Dion Waiters and James Johnson to cap killing long term deals.

I've been quite vocal on this board since Butler was brought on board that the 2021 plan was ridiculous after adding Butler, this is nothing about hindsight with me. I really never understood Giannis leaving all that that extra money for the supermax just to leave Milwaukee a year early. Best case scenario was what I expected OKC did with P.George, resign with an agreement to try to move him where he wants to go if he wants out.

To me... it made very little sense to send out Richardson and a 1st round pick for a 29 year old max player if you weren't going to work on building the roster for 2 years, to me Miami should have kept those assets to make more trades if Miami were able to lure Giannis away from the extra money from a supermax and with the rest of the roster having very little talent on it.

On a side note, and not directed at you, but why do we keep pounding on the Crowder decision. Do we really think he would help us go to the NBA Finals again? Do we even make it past the Bucks with him? This team needs more than just Crowder and we have the flexibility to still go get it.

Ugh... it's multiple issues. Crowder I'd say he was somewhere around being an average starting PF, it's the fact that Miami did not have a near as good option at starting PF to replace him. Another issue about Crowder that doesn't seem to ever be talked about is that he brought toughness and how that was desperately missing off this team. The 2021 Miami team had way too many soft players. I do believe reports that Miami went after M.Morris last offseason who would have been a good maybe better replacement then Crowder but that fell through also. Crowder wasn't asking for crazy money, he was asking for 10 mil a year for 3 years, that's a good price for a starting PF.

If Miami had an "average" starting PF for the next 3 years, it makes building up this roster much easier into a true contender if you ignore the future cap space dream.

Crowder is an average at best staring PF who had a hot streak in Miami but he also brought toughness, defensive switchability and the ability to hit 3s, and with that, he checked off all the minimums you want playing next to Bam(who was playing center). If Bam is moved to PF, then Crowder no longer meets the new minimum which would include size for a center.
eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 24,960

Post#670 » by eddieheatfan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:29 pm

Vertical Limit wrote:I dont want to bring the board down but having watched almost every game in the playoffs so far… we are so far away from winning a title… just speaking the truth…

i totally i agree with you and dom on this issue. unless you are injured or something you put your best effort to win games before the fans not that bs that they displayed on national tv for all to see. it was truly disgraceful, as a matter of fact they (FO to players and coaches) should have been embarrassed by the lack of effort, heart and basketball IQ that they showed on the floor.

but any true meaningful change should start with the firing of the head coach, dude cant adjust on the fly and its too stubborn and doesnt inspire the players to be the best of themselves.

riley did that, spobot needs an upgrade for that to happen. clean house,if not you are just treadmilling the team in to irrelevance :roll:
AirP.
RealGM

Post#671 » by AirP. » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:44 pm

eddieheatfan wrote:

i totally i agree with you and dom on this issue. unless you are injured or something you put your best effort to win games before the fans not that bs that they displayed on national tv for all to see. it was truly disgraceful, as a matter of fact they (FO to players and coaches) should have been embarrassed by the lack of effort, heart and basketball IQ that they showed on the floor.

but any true meaningful change should start with the firing of the head coach, dude cant adjust on the fly and its too stubborn and doesnt inspire the players to be the best of themselves.

riley did that, spobot needs an upgrade for that to happen. clean house,if not you are just treadmilling the team in to irrelevance :roll:

How about this... ACQUIRE HIGH LEVEL TALENT WHEN YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO. Since acquiring Butler 2 seasons ago this franchise had the ability to add CP3 and had the assets to be in the talks about acquiring Harden yet MIAMI was the team that left the trade talks. Maybe you had to trade Bam to get Harden... DO IT!!!!! In the Harden trade it wasn't just acquiring a top tier player, it was keeping Brooklyn from having THREE top tier players while Miami had zero.

All this talk of landing a whale yet when the ability is there the FO doesn't do it.
Kobewade11
General Manager

Post#672 » by Kobewade11 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:53 pm

AirP. wrote:
How about this... ACQUIRE HIGH LEVEL TALENT WHEN IT'S AVALABLE. Since acquiring Butler 2 seasons ago this franchise had the ability to add CP3 and had the assets to be in the talks about acquiring Harden yet MIAMI was the team that left the trade talks. Maybe you had to trade Bam to get Harden... DO IT!!!!! In the Harden trade it wasn't just acquiring a top tier player, it was keeping Brooklyn from having THREE top tier players while Miami had zero.

All this talk of landing a whale yet when the ability is there the FO doesn't do it.

If the other team is dragging their feet what do you want the FO to do? All those talks take a toll on the locker room which is why they pulled out of the trade. Same reason they pulled out of talks when Jimmy was in Minnesota. Can't make a deal if the other team is just pussy footing around.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#673 » by AirP. » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:11 pm

Kobewade11 wrote:
AirP. wrote:
How about this... ACQUIRE HIGH LEVEL TALENT WHEN IT'S AVALABLE. Since acquiring Butler 2 seasons ago this franchise had the ability to add CP3 and had the assets to be in the talks about acquiring Harden yet MIAMI was the team that left the trade talks. Maybe you had to trade Bam to get Harden... DO IT!!!!! In the Harden trade it wasn't just acquiring a top tier player, it was keeping Brooklyn from having THREE top tier players while Miami had zero.

If the other team is dragging their feet what do you want the FO to do? All those talks take a toll on the locker room which is why they pulled out of the trade. Same reason they pulled out of talks when Jimmy was in Minnesota. Can't make a deal if the other team is just pussy footing around.

It was a top tier talent, I think you have to do what it takes to try to acquire that level of talent if you have the assets to acquire that talent. I don't think Houston was dragging it's feet, it was Miami lowballing Houston, why would Houston take what it was rumored that Miami was offering/not offering them?

From my understanding with Minnesota, Riley was low balling Minnesota also. At the time Butler was 29 and Riley's last offer was Richardson, Bam(2nd year) and a protected 1st... at that time that was a lowball offer.
Kobewade11
General Manager

Post#674 » by Kobewade11 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:19 pm

AirP. wrote:
From my understanding with Minnesota, Riley was low balling Minnesota also. At the time Butler was 29 and Riley's last offer was Richardson, Bam(2nd year) and a protected 1st... at that time that was a lowball offer.

Honest question, why is it that from your perspective whenever a deal doesn't go through its always because Riley/FO were low balling/dropped the ball and never that the other team wasn't operating in good faith or something in between? In real time the sentiment league wide was that Minnesota was being unreasonable in their negotiations.

The Minnesota Timberwolves’ asking price to trade All-Star forward Jimmy Butler remains quality veterans, top prospects, future assets and salary-cap relief, which is presently too steep of a package for interested teams, league sources told ESPN.

Minnesota’s counter was a non-starter for Heat president Pat Riley, league sources said. Along with Butler, Miami had been willing to accept Gorgui Dieng and the remaining $48 million left on his contract under the right circumstances, sources said.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#675 » by AirP. » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:10 pm

Kobewade11 wrote:
AirP. wrote:

Honest question, why is it that from your perspective whenever a deal doesn't go through its always because Riley/FO were low balling/dropped the ball and never that the other team wasn't operating in good faith or something in between? In real time the sentiment league wide was that Minnesota was being unreasonable in their negotiations.

The Minnesota Timberwolves’ asking price to trade All-Star forward Jimmy Butler remains quality veterans, top prospects, future assets and salary-cap relief, which is presently too steep of a package for interested teams, league sources told ESPN.

Minnesota’s counter was a non-starter for Heat president Pat Riley, league sources said. Along with Butler, Miami had been willing to accept Gorgui Dieng and the remaining $48 million left on his contract under the right circumstances, sources said.

I'm going off of what was reported by reporters from both sides. If you were Minnesota or Houston, would what was reported be enough for you to trade your star? I don't think so but it's a legit tactic Riley is utilizing, I just wouldn't lowball on high level players when they become available.

For the longest time it was reported that Riley wouldn't even offer a package of Richardson and Bam for Butler(maybe because Thibodeau wanted Dieng in the deal which was a negative), neither of them had done anything in the NBA at that point yet were 2 of the major pieces for a player who just carried a franchise to it's first playoffs in nearly a decade and a half(Minnesota was 3rd in the west when Butler tore his meniscus that kept him out 6 weeks, he had to come back before the playoffs JUST to get Minnesota into the playoffs, they fell off in 6 weeks that much without him) .

Yes, for most of the negotiations with Minnesota Thibodeau tried to put Dieng into the package, it got changed to just Butler near the end. The Minnesota thing was odd, Thibodeau didn't want to trade Butler and if people really watched that R.Nicholes interview with Butler after "the practice" Butler actually said that it was possible for the situation to be fixed in Minnesota but also said he didn't think it would happen. I believe the whole issue was with Towns who had the fanbase and owner(just a bad owner) on his side. The fanbase didn't want Butler in the first place, they wanted to just keep rebuilding, they thought they had future big 3 in Towns, Wiggins and Rubio.

On the Harden situation, I think Houston didn't get much for Harden, in fact I think everyone but Philly lowballed Houston and I'll tell you why and why it happened. Most of the picks they received from Brooklynn are going to be late first round picks and most of the swaps won't happen. Why I believe they didn't take the Philly offer which was rumored to include Simmons was that he would have made the odds of retaining their protected pick worse. On Miami, although I think it would have taken nearly all Miami's assets including Herro, it was possible for Miami to give Houston more value then what they got from Brooklyn and still tank. To me, there wasn't a big enough reason to walk away from the trade table you were already at when talking about a player of Harden's caliber.

BTW... If Lillard is available, just like I would have for Harden, I move everything outside of Butler to try to acquire him and continue to look for disgruntled higher level talent for the rest of their contracts.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,204

Post#676 » by twix2500 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:16 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,204

Post#677 » by twix2500 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:21 pm

AirP. wrote:
Kobewade11 wrote:
AirP. wrote:

I'm going off of what was reported by reporters from both sides. If you were Minnesota or Houston, would what was reported be enough for you to trade your star? I don't think so.

For the longest time it was reported that Riley wouldn't even offer a package of Richardson and Bam for Butler(maybe because Thibodeau wanted Dieng in the deal which was a negative), neither of them had done anything in the NBA at that point yet were 2 of the major pieces for a player who just carried a franchise to it's first playoffs in nearly a decade and a half(Minnesota was 3rd in the west when Butler tore his meniscus that kept him out 6 weeks, he had to come back before the playoffs JUST to get Minnesota into the playoffs, they fell off in 6 weeks that much without him) .

Yes, for most of the negotiations with Minnesota Thibodeau tried to put Dieng into the package, it got changed to just Butler near the end. The Minnesota thing was odd, Thibodeau didn't want to trade Butler and if people really watched that R.Nicholes interview with Butler after "the practice" Butler actually said that it was possible for the situation to be fixed in Minnesota but also said he didn't think it would happen. I believe the whole issue was with Towns who had the fanbase and owner(just a bad owner) on his side. The fanbase didn't want Butler in the first place, they wanted to just keep rebuilding, they thought they had future big 3 in Towns, Wiggins and Rubio.

On the Harden situation, I think Houston didn't get much for Harden, in fact I think everyone but Philly lowballed Houston and I'll tell you why and why it happened. Most of the picks they received from Brooklynn are going to be late first round picks and most of the swaps won't happen. Why I believe they didn't take the Philly offer which was rumored to include Simmons was that he would have made the odds of retaining their protected pick worse. On Miami, although I think it would have taken nearly all Miami's assets including Herro, it was possible for Miami to give Houston more value then what they got from Brooklyn and still tank. To me, there wasn't a big enough reason to walk away from the trade table you were already at when talking about a player of Harden's caliber.

BTW... If Lillard is available, just like I would have for Harden, I move everything outside of Butler to try to acquire him and continue to look for disgruntled higher level talent for the rest of their contracts.
Let's roll back memory lane. What happened with the Timberwolves Butler trade was the Wolves kept backing out if an agreement which was furiating the Heat. The Heat eventually backed out because they didn't feel the wolves were serious and remember there were a lot of turmoil between the coach and management.

DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,703

Post#678 » by DayofMourning » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:30 pm

eddieheatfan wrote:

We know that Riley will most certainly never blow it up though. He is going to hold out hope that the squad can compete and that somehow he will be able to land a big fish.

I would blow it up. Not because I have some negative reaction to getting swept by a team, but because the magic we had with a healthy Dragic, a fired up Jimmy, and a bubble Jae was lightning in a bottle. I do believe we performed greatly last year, and we never came close to matching that fire this year. Blame it on whatever you want, but our team looked rough this year. We've had those lightning in a bottle moments before (superstar Dion and company). There is something special in what we do in Miami, but its not good enough to overcome lack of talent. You can't keep banking on G Leaguers to balance out a roster.

I've always been a believer in the draft process. A team that recognizes talent, which Miami certainly does, can benefit greatly from having high draft picks. Some FO's are going to draft bust after bust, because they like to gamble on traits that don't translate. I have faith in our FO to draft a guy who has the right kind of potential.

I don't think Butler is going to get a treasure trove of picks, but if we did trade him to a win now team like GSW, then you could take advantage of the right situation at the right time. Wiseman and their lottos could be had. That's not a special return, and GSW wins that trade because they certainly get the best player and it helps them immediately. Miami would have to hope Wiseman has a level head, and that they draft well at 7 and 14. Lots of variables there.

What it does do is put Bam and Herro into potential lead scorer roles which helps them develop. It also is almost guaranteed to put the Heat in the lottery next year. At that point you have Bam, Herro, Precious, KZ, Wiseman, picks 7 and 14 in 2021, and another lotto in 2022. You have a ton of cap space. That's how a team can go from being the 2020 Nets to the 2021 Nets.

That's how I'd try and attack it if I were the GM. Could fail miserably, or never materialize, but from my armchair it sounds pretty good.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#679 » by AirP. » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:01 pm

DayofMourning wrote:What it does do is put Bam and Herro into potential lead scorer roles which helps them develop. It also is almost guaranteed to put the Heat in the lottery next year. At that point you have Bam, Herro, Precious, KZ, Wiseman, picks 7 and 14 in 2021, and another lotto in 2022. You have a ton of cap space. That's how a team can go from being the 2020 Nets to the 2021 Nets.

Are you forgetting the Oladipo trade? How pissed would Heat fans be to tank, get a top pick and then watch Houston swap it with Brooklyn's which could be around the end of the first round.

Although sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski earlier this week that there was widespread confidence Houston would trade Oladipo, the teams went right up to the 3 p.m. ET deadline before agreeing to the trade.

In return, the Rockets get guard Avery Bradley, forward Kelly Olynyk and 2022 first-round swap rights. Those swap rights include the Brooklyn Nets' pick.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,703

Post#680 » by DayofMourning » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:34 pm

AirP. wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:What it does do is put Bam and Herro into potential lead scorer roles which helps them develop. It also is almost guaranteed to put the Heat in the lottery next year. At that point you have Bam, Herro, Precious, KZ, Wiseman, picks 7 and 14 in 2021, and another lotto in 2022. You have a ton of cap space. That's how a team can go from being the 2020 Nets to the 2021 Nets.

Are you forgetting the Oladipo trade? How pissed would Heat fans be to tank, get a top pick and then watch Houston swap it with Brooklyn's which could be around the end of the first round.

Although sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski earlier this week that there was widespread confidence Houston would trade Oladipo, the teams went right up to the 3 p.m. ET deadline before agreeing to the trade.

In return, the Rockets get guard Avery Bradley, forward Kelly Olynyk and 2022 first-round swap rights. Those swap rights include the Brooklyn Nets' pick.

Wasn't the Heat's pick swap lotto protected? I felt like I read that somewhere, recently.

Return to Miami Heat